My Morning Coffee

by HEAB on December 1, 2008

Must flip switch…must flip switch…must flip switch.  This is my mantra every morning as I stumble down the stairs into the kitchen.  My goal is to make it to the coffee maker without tripping over 2 very excited and hungry dogs and get the pot dripping as quickly as possible.  Everything is ready to go thanks to my evening routine of filling the coffee filter with grounds.  The spoon is placed next to the coffee maker on top of a napkin to catch my spills…I’m a bit of a klutz, especially at 5:30 AM.  If I ever purchase a new coffee maker, it will definitely have a timer.  Ahhh, waking up to the aroma of fresh brewed coffee, that would be lovely.

I never drank coffee until I decided to kick my diet soda habit.  Too much of that stuff entered my body, and working for a natural medicine doctor meant I had to sneak every sip of my beloved Coke Zero.  Nothing artificial is allowed in our office.  After a couple days of horrible headaches, I got it out of my system.  Now, I treat myself to one cup of coffee a day.  OK, so my mug is huge, not exactly 8 oz, but it’s better than all that soda!  I love my morning coffee routine before hitting the gym or going for a trail run.  It’s coffee first, workout second, breakfast third.

Pictured below is my dilemma.

Coffee before I mutilate it.

Coffee before I mutilate it.

coffee flavored half and half.

My morning beverage of choice: coffee flavored half and half.

I use so much half and half in my coffee, and then I add sweetener.  I try to use a tsp of Turbinado sugar or a little honey, but sometimes I grab a Splenda when gripped by my fear of extra calories.  I’ve tried everything from plain old milk to coconut milk (BAD IDEA!) to doctor up my morning cup o’ joe.  Any suggestions?  I DO NOT like it black.  How do you guys take your morning caffeine fix?

Melissa S. December 1, 2008 at 2:21 pm

no caffeine for me in the mornings…or at all really. i’ve thankfully been able to stay away from coffee…but i do have it as a treat every once in a while!

Maggie December 1, 2008 at 5:04 pm

Vanilla almond milk is good for me, plus it’s only 40 calories per cup (unsweetened).

I just kicked my diet soda habit too – 1 week so far!

Jill December 2, 2008 at 12:01 pm

Hi Heather! Found your site from FB!

Morning coffee – I like it with a little milk, 1 tbsp of sugar free hot cocoa and a sprinkle of stevia. That sweetness is wonderful…and thought it’s not a Starbucks mocha…it’s awfully close!

Hope you are well. If you go and read my 12/1 blog entry…I could use some help finding my sweet cat a home…Joe is sick again.

J

MizFit December 2, 2008 at 12:11 pm

It’s sad around here.

No coffee ALREADY READY? Miz is not getting out of bed.

I can even be decaf—-I just want my mug full.

Illuminati December 5, 2008 at 10:04 am

I’ve tried to quit coffee several times. I just can’t. It hurts too much. I CAN’T I TELL YOU, I CAN’T. I love you coffee. We were meant to be together!

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 5, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Illiminati, don’t ever stop lovin on the coffee. My advice – stay together. Match made in heaven!

Ross December 5, 2008 at 9:00 pm

Not personally a coffee fan but I see this often recommended first thing. Infact Lyle Mc Donald (have a google) advocates it.

I almost always have a dip in alertness between the 6th and 8th hour after waking up. So I’ll pop a 50mg Caffeine tablet and nod off on a 25 min nap. Now Caffeine takes 30 mins to kick in, so as its taking effect I’m waking up and I normally wake up to a great boost of energy. I’m sorted all day long.

kickin' diet soda/drinks too December 2, 2009 at 8:43 am

Organic half and half, or almond milk (better for u), sweeten it with stevia or truvia-not as tasty as splenda, but helathier for u without the calories, getting tha artificial stuff out of your body mean letting go of the splenda too, (I know its hard, I am still working on it).

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 2, 2009 at 8:57 am

I know, I know. I do like half and half, but almond milk in coffee kind of grossed me out. Thanks for the encouragement!