Yogurt Success!

by HEAB on December 11, 2008

Round 3.  Total disaster!  Upon opening my oven/incubator, I was quite disappointed to find that instead of yogurt, I had a big bowl of spoiled milk.  $*%&@#$*&^@!.   Apparently, yogurt cultures do not thrive under the “clean, beautiful light” of a GE Reveal bulb.  Lesson learned.  Fortunately, I had enough leftover ingredients to whip up another batch.

Round 4.

Thank you Costco HeatDish!

Thank you Costco HeatDish!

This method of incubation worked much better.  After 14 hours of blasting the heat, this was my result:

Quite comparable to store bought Greek yogurt, no?

Quite comparable to commerical brand Greek yogurt, no?

I let it chill for about 36 hours and then dove into it with a spoonful of almond butter and some cinnamon Puffins last night.  The wait was killing me!  The taste was incredible, tangy but not overwhelming.  The consistency was even thicker than my fat-free  Fage.  I did use 2% milk rather than skim, giving my version a higher fat content.  In summary, I would say the actual work involved in making homemade Greek yogurt was worth it, especially based on how much money I saved.  Was it worth all the waiting (15 hours + 2-3 days)?  Hell…Heck  no!  Remember, patience isn’t one of my best virtues, especially when food is involved.  I’m glad I attempted it.  Glad I didn’t burn our house down, and I’m really excited that I have over 5 cups of this thick goodness to eat on for the next several days!

Moral of the story is…

A shout out to Trader Joe's.  Thank you for FINALLY opening in Nashville!

A shout out to Trader Joe's. Thank you for FINALLY opening in Nashville!

Shop at Trader Joe’s.  Their Greek yogurt, although not as good as Fage,  is half the price and provides instant satisfaction :)

What is your favorite TJ’s product?

A Happy Birthday shout out to Cherie :)

Oh, and don’t forget:

1. Visit Zesty Cook and help him celebrate his 100th post!  One lucky commenter will receive a $100 gift card good at Amazon or PayPal.

2. Miss Eating Bender is giving away a Vita-Mix blender.  My Vita-Mix is my favorite appliance!  Couldn’t live without it!

VeggieGirl December 11, 2008 at 6:42 am

HOORAY!!! Round 4 was the redemption round :-D

**Favorite TJ’s product = Candy-Cane Joe-Joe’s.

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 11, 2008 at 5:05 pm

VeggieGirl, never tried the Candy-Cane Joe-Joe’s. Will pick some up on next TJ’s shopping spree!

Gina December 11, 2008 at 8:04 am

Nice!! It definitely looks like the real thing, that’s really cool.

I don’t have a Trader Joe’s near me :( My favorite thing that I’ve ever had from there (last year I think) though are their dark chocolate truffles…although I doubt they are vegan :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 11, 2008 at 5:04 pm

Gina, no TJ’s – man this company needs to spread the love with more locations! Yum – chocolate truffles :)

HangryPants December 11, 2008 at 8:23 am

Wow that us super cool!

I like the TJs hot chocolate I recently purchased. Oh and they have this good Lemon Curd – perfect. :D

Jenny December 11, 2008 at 8:32 am

Heather, there are only a few people I know that would go to such an effort to save a few dollars…..I have to say I am impressed. I, however, will indulge in spending the few extra dollars every once in a while to buy some greek yogurt. It is delicious I have to say and I love the higher protein content. You continue to amaze me my friend.

On a sad note, you will be leaving your Trader Joe’s when you come to Colorado. Sadly, we don’t have these. I have never understood why.

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 11, 2008 at 5:03 pm

Jenny, yes I saved a few dollars but then just found something else to spend it on – oops. I love the higher protein content as well, and the Greek just tastes betta! The Mac’s are going to have to ship me TJ products after we move!

Erin December 11, 2008 at 9:24 am

OH WOW! That does look really dense and beautiful!
I moved away from TJ’s a year and a half ago, and life hasn’t been as fun ever since. :(

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 11, 2008 at 5:01 pm

Erin, no TJ’s anymore? This makes me really sad for you :(

Sharon December 11, 2008 at 10:01 am

Glad in the end, things did turn out right. But too bad no TJ’s near me!

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 11, 2008 at 5:01 pm

Sharon, I am so sad you have no TJ’s! Nashville just got one, but I’m moving to Colorado. They have not one in that entire state. I can’t believe it! I’m going to stock up before I go and then have my family send me stuff…although they don’t know that yet :)

eatingbender December 11, 2008 at 10:38 am

Wow! That definitely looks just like store-bought Greek yogurt! Kudos to you – but thank you for the honesty on whether or not it’s worth it. I need to stock up at TJ’s next time I go there!

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 11, 2008 at 11:50 am

Jenn, Thanks for reading my blog! Definitely stock up on some TJ’s Greek yogurt! I am also so excited that you are spreading the love of the Vita-Mix! Love love love my Vita-Mix :)

eatingbender December 11, 2008 at 10:39 am

Oh and thanks for the tag back, too :)

Jill December 11, 2008 at 11:31 am

Yea!! We have the Costco heater as well. It works charms on cold skinny dog…have not tried it for baking! But…good to know if I’m in a pinch, I can make it work.

After seeing the product, I don’t think I’d like it. Hmmm…if I find myself at TJ’s though, I’ll pick up a cheap version and see if I can live with it.

My favorite product at Trader Joe’s – well, 2 so far. I LOVE MacIntosch apples (yes, I am serious) and TJ”s carries them! And, their little pretzels filled ith peanut butter are wonderful.

FollowMyWeigh December 11, 2008 at 11:51 am

I am so impressed!!! LOL like the moral of your story though =)
My favorite TJ’s product – I think it might be their 100% whole wheat pizza dough!

Critty December 11, 2008 at 1:21 pm

CONGRATS! You did it – that is hilarious that the heat dish came to the rescue….love it :) I haven’t been to the Nashville Trader Joes yet but will hopefully check it out soon!

Erica December 11, 2008 at 3:23 pm

How cool! I have read a lot about making yogurt but have never tried it! Yours looks like it turned out great! Def worth it with the high price of greek yogurt=yikes!

laurajane December 11, 2008 at 4:14 pm

Wow, great job on making the yogurt – persistence really pays off. In the back of my mind, I’ve been wanting to try making my own because it seems so expensive to buy it, but I’m afraid it wouldn’t turn out.

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 11, 2008 at 4:59 pm

laurajane, it was pretty easy to make. Just involved too much waiting for me. Although my husband read the blog this morning and thinks I should continue to save $$ by making it myself. hehe. Give it a try. It does taste really good!

gina (fitnessista) December 11, 2008 at 5:06 pm

wow that yogurt looks great!
i love tj’s with all of my heart.. i think it’s a toss up between the dark chocolate covered edamame and the raw unsalted almond butter (because it’s only 4.99 instead of the 13.99 i usually pay!)

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 11, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Gina (Fitnessista), $13.99 – ugh. I would pay that much for almond butter if that was my only option. It’s so yummy and so good for you. I’ll have to try those dark chocolate edamame!

Gina December 11, 2008 at 8:47 pm

Heather! I gave you an award on my blog today. I hope you’ll go claim it and pass it on :)

Jeena December 14, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Wow you made your own yogurt that is brilliant! :-)

Sarah January 15, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Thanks for the tip, Heather! I will have to give your 15-hour method a shot :-)

justine January 26, 2009 at 2:47 pm

I am so glad we got a Trader Joes!! I was graced with the presence of a Trader Joes when my husband and I lived in Az. So much cool stuff there!!! I actually made my first trip to the one here this past weekend. Not as much stuff as the ones I have been to in the past but I forgot how much I missed it. I got this amazing dressing there!! I believe it is Pear Champagne with Gorgonzola. Amazing!!! made a salad with Strawberries, tomatoes, onion, and slivered almonds then added some of the yumminess!! I highly recommend it.

~Justine