Christmas Granola & Accidental Custard

by HEAB on December 19, 2008

I don’t keep an online food journal like a lot of bloggers out there, but I thought it would be fun to post some meals and tasty recipes once a week.  I love seeing pictures and getting new ideas from everyone’s food choices.  Thanks for sharing.  Below are some eats from our week.

Pomegranate Seeds.  We ate a lot of these this week as Costco is currently stocking poms - 12 for $13.00!

We sprinkled these on everything from salads to yogurt. Thank you Costco. 12 pomegranates for $13.00!

Homemade Granola for Christmas Gifts to Friends

Christmas Gifts - Homemade Granola

Banana Maple Granola

Recipe adapted from Country Life, my favorite vegan cookbook.

In bowl combine  7 cups rolled oats, 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, 1/2 cup chopped walnuts.  Blend 3 bananas, 1/2 cup maple syrup, and 1/2 cup raw cashews in blender until creamy.  Pour into dry ingredients and stir together.  Spread on parchment lined cookies sheets.  Bake at 300 degrees for 40 minutes, stirring after 20.  Reduce temp. to 225 degrees and bake until dry (1 to 2 hours) stirring occasionally.  After cooled, add raisins or dried fruit of choice.

My Bloggie Inspired Lunch

My Bloggie Inspired Lunch

This mid-day meal was a winner, and will definitely be repeated soon!  It included a bell pepper (Thank you Sammie) stuffed with raw mac & cheese (Thank you Gina) and 2 slices of Ezekiel cinnamon raisin toast.  One was topped with Laughing Cow Light Swiss and Trader Joe’s Strawberry Preserves and the other topped with 2 tsp of Naturally Nutty’s Vanilla Almond Butter and warm gooey carob chips (Thank you Erin)!

Homemade Greek Yogurt - Success Yet Again!

Homemade Greek Yogurt - Success Yet Again!

Y’all, my homemade Greek Yogurt from last week turned out to be so good that I simply had to make another batch.  The actual process isn’t bad.  There is just a lot of waiting involved.  Therefore, I doubled the recipe, and I think I’m going to continue to make it myself.  The key is to get another batch started a few days before running out of my current supply.  This week, I used skim milk instead of 2%.  Because my heat lamp method was a bit of a fire hazard, I attempted incubating the yogurt in the oven with the door left ajar.  The yogurt is supposed to stay at 110 degrees for 15 hours.  Turns out, my oven was too warm, even with the door open.  So, now I basically have a huge pot of custard because I more or less baked it.  Soooo tasty though.  I wonder if I could substitute Eggnog for the milk?  Hmm, new experiment for next week?

Fun Purchases

Fun Purchases

I stopped by Whole Foods to grab some ingredients for tonight’s dinner, and of course left with a few more items than planned.  Although I told myself I could not buy the Sunshine burgers until I finished our Costco box of Morningstar Farm patties, I couldn’t resist.  I’ve only heard good things about these veggie burgers and had to try them.  Bonus: they are soy free!  My stomach doesn’t like soy so much, and I’m excited to try them.  Plus, I couldn’t resist this new cereal.  Cereals at our house have two requirements.  The grams of sugar cannot be higher than grams of fiber, and I like them to contain some protein.  Well, Annie’s Cocoa & Vanilla Bunnies did not meet either requirement…but, what the hell?  It had chocolate!  So, in the basket it went.  Judging by the half eaten box and the fact that  it has been in our house less than 12 hours, I would say it was a wise purchase :)

One of Chris’s favorite dinners…

Bison Meatballs

Bison Meatballs

For the recipe, combine 1 lb bison with 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup cooked grain or breadcrumbs (I actually used ground walnuts in this batch), 1/2 cup chopped fresh or canned mushrooms, 1/2 cup minced onion, and 1 egg white.  Plus some salt and peppa.  Roll into balls and place in a crock-pot.  Add one can of cream of mushroom soup (I like Amy’s) combined with chicken or beef broth to thin.  Cook on low for 8- 10 hours or high for 5-6.  Healthy, delicious, and your kitchen will smell amazing!

What were your favorite eats of the week?

P.S. Anyone know how to get pomegranate juice stains off the kitchen wall?

P.P.S. Leave a comment here, and Mizfit will donate 10 cents to Safeplace, a local domestic violence shelter.  Leave a comment here, and Hangry Pants will donate 5 cents towards food for the Rhode Island Community Food Bank.

Stop by Banana Cabana for a chance to win a Jamba Juice gift card.

Scooter December 19, 2008 at 9:29 am

Save me some Greek Custard!

I’m starving reading your blog, remind me not to read it right before lunch.

VeggieGirl December 19, 2008 at 9:42 am

Lovely eats!!

YOU PURCHASED SUNSHINE BURGERS!!!!!! That makes me smile :-)

Danielle December 19, 2008 at 10:09 am

The granola and yogurt sound divine… oh and those pomegranate seeds too, yummm! I just stumbled across your blog and, wow. Your weight loss journey sounds amazing, you sound amazing! I’m sure you’ve heard it enough but congrats on getting so gosh darn healthy, you probably feel and look better than ever. Take care :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 19, 2008 at 12:56 pm

Danielle. Glad you found me – thanks for reading!

Critty December 19, 2008 at 11:24 am

I want some damn bison balls! Mmmmm. Still enjoying the blogness and trying to catch a few others but it’s difficult – i don’t see how you do it…..

Ok, I’ve got a couple of questions for ya – with it being winter/cold season. (even though it’s freakin 64degrees outside at the moment?!) How do you switch up workouts when sick and what kind of foods do you try to eat to feel better?? Do you have any homemade cures? I’m not sick but just for future reference ;)

Hope your Friday is a YUMMY one!

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 19, 2008 at 1:01 pm

Critty, yeah, those bison balls are good. Really easy if you have a crock-pot. The only thing that stops me from working out is a high fever. If I’m feeling really down, I just ease up on intensity. Maybe take a long walk instead of speed intervals or lifting. I feel lost without exercise, and even when sick, I always feel better after some movement. I’m usually not as hungry when ill, but I try to eat well, especially if I’m still exercising. Just up the Vitamin C – lots of green and orange foods! I take daily vitamins, but I might add a few packets of Emergen-C. If I’m feeling completely awful, I’ll take a shot of NyQuil. I hate being all stuffy and getting no sleep. See you tomorrow for Zumba/lunch?

Erin December 19, 2008 at 12:24 pm

Wow, I love seeing what you eat! I’m intrigued by all your raw goodies too. Were the carob chips divinity? :)

Julie December 19, 2008 at 12:25 pm

those berries look so fresh and yummy!

Sammie December 19, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Yey, stuffed red pepper!!! What is raw mac & cheese? Those Sunshine Burgers are great.

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 19, 2008 at 5:31 pm

Hey Sammie. The raw mac & cheese is from Matthew Kenney’s Everyday Raw.

Gina December 19, 2008 at 6:10 pm

I love pomegranates (who doesn’t!), although the last one I bought I froze the seeds, and I keep on forgetting that they’re there!!

That granola sounds fantastic. You can be sure I will be trying it :)

Hangry Pants December 19, 2008 at 10:06 pm

I love homemade granola!!! I wish I got that present. :D

I do not know how to get that pomegranate juice off.

FollowMyWeigh December 20, 2008 at 9:16 am

ooh lots good eats. bixon meatballs!! looks goooood and wow 12 poms for $13!! I need to get to costco!

I have NO idea about getting the pom juice off. Thats one bad thing about them!!

Katie December 20, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Those cocoa and vanilla bunnies look delish! I haven’t seen those in my local grocery stores yet! :(

Erica December 20, 2008 at 8:51 pm

Your Granola gifts look great! Nice work! Everyone will be so excited to receive them! Glad the yogurt worked out again! Very nice. Loving the blogger inspired lunch! I’ve never had bison but I bet its yummy!

{ 1 trackback }