Nashville Catches on to The Frozen Yogurt Trend…Finally

by HEAB on December 23, 2008

Temperatures have been in the 20′s and 30′s this week.  Perfect weather for a frozen yogurt tour of Nashville, no?  I grew up eating ice-cream, and the cold weather never stopped me from indulging before.  Why start now?   Come see what I discovered…

Krave's Tangy Yogurt

Krave's Tangy Yogurt

My first stop was Krave, the newest of our yogurt establishments and Nashville’s answer to Pinkberry.  Despite the cold, I pulled into the parking lot with a desire for some smooth creamy goodness.  The owner of the establishment was quite helpful and let me try several samples.  I decided on the original plain flavor.  So refreshing, and I love that they offer cereal toppings!  I chose Cinnamon Toast Crunch (Sadly, no Puffins), and my new friend behind the counter insisted on giving me at least one raspberry.  I returned to my car, blasted the heat and enjoyed every last bite!  The tang of the yogurt cultures was strong but not overwhelming, and at 17 calories an ounce I thought it was pretty tasty.  The creaminess factor was low – kind of icy.  Price: a little over $5.00 for an 8 oz with 1 topping…I don’t think he counted my raspberry :)

Yogurt Oasis Butterscotch Eggnog Swirl

Yogurt Oasis Butterscotch Eggnog Swirl

Next stop was Yogurt Oasis.  This place is right up the street from me, and I’ve been avoiding it ever since it opened last year.  I feared the addiction factor, and I was betting the yogurt wasn’t too cheap due to the high rent area of the store’s location.  Temperature outside, 24 degrees.  Temperature in my belly, 98.6.   Time to cool off those internal organs!  Surprisingly, I was the only customer and got the owners’ undivided attention.  She informed me the yogurt contained no sugar.  I’m trying to avoid artificial sweeteners and asked her what they used.  Apparently, fructose is not really sugar.  I didn’t feel like debating her because my eyes were focused on Today’s Flavors: butterscotch and eggnog.  Problem #1 – self-serve and price was calculated by weight.  For me, this meant trouble.  I’d much rather be presented with a controlled amount of yogurt, but that’s just me and my issues.  So, I grabbed a 16 oz cup (their smallest) and filled her up with a swirl of yogurt topped with some graham crackers.  Problem #2 – topping selection.  The graham crackers were  the healthiest option available other than some peanuts and granola.  No fruit anywhere – just lots of crushed candy.  I behaved myself and didn’t go overboard.  The creamy factor was definitely high, and the calories were low.  Every flavor contains only 8 calories an ounce.  I would go everyday if it weren’t for the price.  Problem #3 – again a little over $5 :(

Costco's Cheap Eats

Costco's Cheap Eats

Third and final stop…Costco.  For $1.47, I got a 15 ounce cup of the creamiest dreamiest yogurt ever!  Too bad it weighed in at a whopping 390 calories WITHOUT any toppings!  That is about twice the calorie content of my Yogurt Oasis cup.  The question is…would you pay more for lower calories?  My answer (as the husband cringes)…Yes, I would.  Therefore, Heather will not be dining at Nashville’s trendy frozen yogurt establishments because she would like to retire someday.  $5+ on yogurt everyday adds up to $1825 annually.  No thanks.  From now on, it’s the McDonald’s Drive Thru baby.  75 cents for a 150 calorie soft serve cone.  I’m lovin it!

What is your favorite frozen treat?

Gina December 23, 2008 at 8:06 am

Oooh, that butterscotch eggnog yogurt, sounds awesome!! If nothing else, looks like this was a fun yogurt tour :)

VeggieGirl December 23, 2008 at 8:26 am

No Puffins?!?!??!! A sin. ;-)

Looks tantalizing!!

Meghann December 23, 2008 at 8:41 am

It’s ok I eat Frozen yogurt when its freezing out side as well. In fact last year when I was in sking in Colorado I hapiily wen to Colstone and enjoyed a frozen treat as it snowed outside.

I am with you, I would rather pay a little bit more of a premium for the lower calorie yogurt, luckily I only have frozen yogurt from my favorite establishements once in a bluemoon since it’s a good 20 minute drive away. I am obsessed with the tart yogurt and they have the best which included yummy real fruit toppings.

FollowMyWeigh December 23, 2008 at 8:50 am

my favorite is mcdonald’s frozen ice cream too!! haha i have a picture of me eating it outside while its snowing :) .

carolinebee December 23, 2008 at 9:49 am

I LOVE the mcdonalds sundae! I get a plain sundae, so I get the peanuts too :D GREAT post idea- i have a special fro-yo sized place in my heart. The Costco one honestly looks the best- so that would be a once in a while treat to me! I’m not a fan of the Pinkberry-imitation places, I don’t like the tart/plain flavor or fruit toppings. Really interesting comparisons, calories or $$$!?!? haha you want to keep both as low as possible!

Critty December 23, 2008 at 10:10 am

Girl – i feel ya, I’ve had Costco and it’s good but I can never finish that much of it. I’ve also had Oasis and was NOT impressed especially for the cost & selection. I have always been a fan of McD’s vanilla cone – I think I had one almost everyday for entire an summer, years ago.

Jason’s Deli always had really good frozen yogurt or soft serve ice cream (can’t remember which it was) I use to go all the time when I lived in Atlanta but need to check it out again at the one on West End.

Also, I’m wondering if Maggie Moos has frozen yogurt?? I know i love to go get a sundae and split it with G-man but that’s on special occasions.

Nashville still needs to work on the frozen yogurt options in my opinion but seems like it’s getting better?!

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 23, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Critty, The options are definitely improving, but I’m totally serious about McD’s – best bang for your buck!

Missy (Missy Maintains) December 23, 2008 at 10:30 am

The costco yogurt looks good! Too bad its bad for you. We have a Pinkberry here in New York. Very high priced of course but I guess the low calories and lovely fruit toppings are worth it.

Erica December 23, 2008 at 11:17 am

I didn’t realize you’re from Nashville! We’re headed that way tomorrow! We always go to TCBY when we’re there ..mmmmm ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 23, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Erica, I am in Nashville – grew up here. Is your husband from here? How fun that you’ll be in town. We’re actually leaving the day after Christmas to visit the in-laws in Arizona. Maybe next time you’re in town, we could meet for coffee/tea or something. Safe travels…oh, and TCBY is a classic, although I think there is only 1 left in town. You should try some of the others – but bring lots of cash! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Tyler December 23, 2008 at 12:31 pm

Dairy Queen chocolate dipped cones are my favorite! Crunchy chocolate on the outside with creamy vanilla soft serve in the inside…and the child’s size only has 190 calories :)
My sister lives in Nashville and loves Yogurt Oasis. I will have to tell her about Krave.

Heather Eats Almond Butter December 23, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Hey Tyler. Definitely tell your sister about Krave. I love the DQ – my favorite was always the Blizzard, but you can never go wrong with a dipped cone!

teenageveggiehead December 23, 2008 at 4:22 pm

wow the yogurt oasis one looks divine!

Erica December 23, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Hey girl ;) No, Josh is from PA. His parents moved out there about a year ago because his dad got offered a great job! I love it out there- its gorgeous! Lets def meet up next time we’re out there. I will let you know. I will be telling my father in law about all of these places as he LOVES frozen yogurt.

Erin December 23, 2008 at 8:15 pm

How cool! Portland is big on frozen yogurt too. Since we moved, at least 10 shops have opened! Too bad they’re so ridiculously expensive! My favorite frozen treat is probably frozen yogurt with heath bar and tons of hot fudge. I love to eat it and then pass out.

HangryPants December 23, 2008 at 8:53 pm

Cold weather does not stop me from eating ice cream either. In fact just today I wanted to go to R.I.’s own pinkberry rip off! (juniper)

Melissa S. December 23, 2008 at 10:38 pm

gah! costco is dangerous for buying and eatinG!

glad the others were good though!

Kelly Turner December 23, 2008 at 10:49 pm

great- I was already craving ice cream, and now i want fro yo!

Kelly Turner

Maggie December 23, 2008 at 11:30 pm

I love the froyo at Ikea – I think it’s $1 for a big huge cone? It’s so awesome.

Sarah M. December 24, 2008 at 1:10 am

I about spit out my PB Puffins (jealous….?) when you were saying that apparently fructose is NOT sugar. I could not have bit my tongue like you did–nice job!

We used to have a TCBY but not no more. I miss my white chocolate mousse =(

MizFit December 24, 2008 at 6:43 am

HAPPPPY HOLIDAYS, Woman!

thanks for all your support at MizFit.

seeleelive January 6, 2009 at 11:35 pm

everything looks soooo good heather!!

Mandy A March 6, 2009 at 9:49 pm

Heather, my hubby and I tried out Krave tonight for the second time… and though I agree on how expensive it was (i think we spent more on that then we did our dinner!)… it was really so much better than last time! I wayyyyyyyyyy over indulged after a yummy dinner at mellow mushroom beforehand… and had a medium cup (how did I get that down?? Must have been the help from the wine at dinner! ha)… but the cheesecake flavor was great!!

I wasn’t impressed with Yogurt Oasis at ALL… I have a friend who lives on it almost every day (no joke!) and loves it.. but I didn’t care for it!

Did you hear we are getting a Tasti D’lites here? I don’t think it’s open as of yet…not positive on that… it’s going to be on west end.. i’ve heard great things about it!

anyway… just sharing my thoughts, too :) Enjoy the AWESOME weather this weekend! I am heading to green hills tomorrow to get a pedicure with some friends… very much needed :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 7, 2009 at 8:22 am

Mandy,
Yes, Krave is soooo good – love the tartness! Are we seriously getting a Tasti D’lites? Oh my gosh, you totally just made my day. I keep reading about their fro-yo, and I can’t wait to try it. Hope it’s not just a rumor!

Enjoy your pedi…love a good pedi! Do you go to Signature Nails…that place is always crazy. Have a wonderful & WARM weekend.

Mandy March 9, 2009 at 8:23 am

Ya know, I have been dying to try their fro-yo, too!!! I had seen it on a blog recently (not sure which one at this point) and knew they had a few locations in Florida, where I grew up and going home to visit next week…so was looking to see what would be close to where we are going… and saw the Nashville location on their website!! I am guessing it is either being built or in the works – it didn’t have a phone number as of yet… but had a West End address!! Woohoo! :) I can’t wait!

Actually, we went to The Venetian for our pedicures. Have you ever been there? It’s right next to Ruby Tuesday’s by the green hills mall. It’s great… and only $33 for a pedicure :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2009 at 9:23 am

Mandy,
Wow, Nashville is already on the Website, huh? That’s definitely a good sign. I wonder where it will be on West End? My husband and I are planning a move to Colorado as soon as we sell our house. I hope D’lites opens before we move. Enjoy a big cup for me while you’re down in Florida as I know they have some locations down there after reading Jenna’s blog (www.eatliverun.com).

I have been to the Venetian twice, but the last time I went, my pedicurist kept filing one spot on my foot while she talked to the technician next to her, and I finally had to tell her to stop. It started bleeding and did not heal for a month! Don’t think I’ll go back there. Besides, it only costs $28 for a pedi at Signature, and the place on West End next to Oasis Yogurt is even cheaper!

Have a good week and enjoy your visit back home next week. :)

Todd January 23, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Yeah great news! Nashville Pinkberry will be opening Spring or Summer at the H.G. Hill Center in Green Hills. I expect one to open in Cool Springs sometime soon after.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 24, 2010 at 9:09 am

So exciting. Thanks for the news Todd!

{ 1 trackback }