A Lotta Running & A Litte Yoga

by HEAB on December 31, 2008

All or nothing.  It’s always all or nothing with me.  Instead of easing back into yoga, I decided to take a challenging yoga class everyday for an entire week with some cardio thrown in the mix.  I’m paying for it today…it hurts to walk, sit-down, breathe, and I’ve only done 2 yoga classes.  What I wouldn’t give for a deep tissue massage right now!

For today, I decided to take one commenter’s advice to heart regarding my gym addiction: You can do all the things you love.  My advice to you is just to pick what you will do that day… and not combine them.  That way each is it’s own reward and blessing for that day. (Thank you Polly!).  I really struggle with thinking that yoga is not a total workout.  Therefore, I always combine it with 30-60 minutes of cardio.  Well, my body disagrees.  Yoga is definitely a great workout on its own as my muscles have been worked!  Polly, I heard you.  There is no need to supplement my yoga practice.  If I do 60 to 90 minutes of yoga, that is enough.  My body needs nothing else.

The goal for today was to get in some exercise, but keep my workout to about an hour.  Because it was sunny and in the sixties, I went for a lovely 5 mile jog.  Then it keeping with my recommitment to yoga, I decided on a 20 minute simple yoga class from Yoga DownloadGentle Hatha Yoga 1 was the perfect combo of yoga and stretching following my run.  Total workout time: 70 minutes & completely satisfying.

Practicing Tree Pose

Practicing Tree Pose

Enough workout talk…onto the eats.  Yesterday, Sammie made pumpkin hummus.  I found the recipe and saved it for when I get home to my Vita-Mix.  In the meantime, I came up with my own version…

Trader Joe's Hummus & Canned Pumpkin

Trader Joe's Hummus & Canned Pumpkin

I simply slopped these two together for an amazing salad topping…

Sunshine Burger with Greens Topped with Pumpkin Hummus (Heather Style)

Sunshine Burger and Greens Topped with Pumpkin Hummus (Heather Style)

Lunch was delish, but not as exciting as dinner.  We decided on a low-key New Year’s Eve and dined at BluBurger Grille with Chris’s parents.  I have been wanting to try this place ever since Eating Bender blogged about it last week.  Great recommendation Jenn!  I had the veggie burger in a lettuce wrap with sweet potato fries.

Look at al those toppings!

Look at all those toppings...on the bottom.

I am always a little weary of restaurant veggie burgers because it’s often nothing but a microwaved Boca Burger.  No thanks – I could have that at home.  Our waitress assured me that  BluBurger’s veggie burger was made locally with all fresh vegetables and also her #1 choice on the menu.  I took a chance and am so glad I did.  It was moist and full of flavor.  Their list of toppings is rather extensive.  I had sauteed peppers & mushrooms, pickles, tomatoes, and Dijon mustard.  The sweet potato fries were some of the best I’ve ever had – perfectly crisp and not too greasy.  I wish more restaurants offered sweet potato fries instead of the regular kind.  Love that salty/sweet combo!  BluBurger – another winner.  Too bad there are none outside of Phoenix.  :(

In keeping with our low-key evening, we all came home for some family time and a little reading.  The perfect New Year’s Eve for me.  How did you ring in 2009?

Sammie January 1, 2009 at 6:01 am

Thanks for the shout out. The Vita-Mix is an amazing machine – how did I live without it? Happy New Year!!!

VeggieGirl January 1, 2009 at 7:35 am

I hear ya, Heather – as a perfectionist, it’s always “all of nothing” for me too, haha :-D

SUNSHINE BURGERS!! SWEET POTATO FRIES!! Holy yum.

Happy New Year!!

glidingcalm January 1, 2009 at 7:45 am

that burger meal looks amazing!!!

haha love the yoga pic! too cute!!!

happy Thurssssssday, and day-off!! wahoo

FollowMyWeigh January 1, 2009 at 9:13 am

that burger sounds and looks really good, and i never order veggie burgers!
happy new year!!

Erica January 1, 2009 at 10:43 am

Love the pic of you practicing yoga- too cute! Sammie’s pumpkin hummus did sound so good- I love that you adapted it for a without blender version! I am currently without a blender so I may give this a whirl as well ;)

We went to dinner last night and then watched Wanted (very good) and entourage! We did stay up until midnight, but we didn’t watch the ball drop ;)

Melissa S. January 1, 2009 at 11:43 am

Dang, that is a great burger!!

cant wait to see you tomorrow!!! :D

carolinebee January 1, 2009 at 12:07 pm

I soo appreciate your honesty about your thoughts on exercise, like what is too much, or how you feel the need to do more..I totally have those moments like when I get to the gym early and work out before a class, or if I feel like yoga wasn’t *enough* of a workout. It’s so important to listen to my body, and let it rest and stretch once in a while! Good luck keeping up with the yoga, it’s so awesome..and Happy New Year!

Erin January 1, 2009 at 12:23 pm

All or nothing–haha! I had to laugh at that one, because I am the same exact way! One extreme or another!
Yummy eats, too! I love the “cereal bowl” from yesterday! :)

-Erin @ “Vegan & the City”

Maggie January 1, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Happy New Year!

Yoga is definitely a full body workout. I feel so good afterwards.

Larissa January 1, 2009 at 2:48 pm

happy new year!

Hangry Pants January 1, 2009 at 3:27 pm

I love the combination of running and then a quick yoga download. So satisfying!

Glad to veggie burger was good. I too hate when it’s a nasty microwaved boca!

Kelly Turner January 1, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Happy New Year!

Kelly Turner

polly January 1, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Yay Heather! I just stopped by and was so excited to read your post and see your adorable picture! :) If I am in Nashville, I’ll have to meet ya. I am sure we will be in the next couple months, as our best friends live there. Maybe we could meet for yoga! :)

I am really trying to practice listening to my body too. Today was a day full of keeping my belly FULL of lots of healthy things, took a mile long sunny walk with hubby, and REST! That is when my body is happiest! I never woulda thunk a mile walk with hubby would be everybit as fulfilling and sweet as a 4 mile run used to be. And I never would have thought I am leaner and stronger now for it. Crazy, eh? We just need to trust our bodies, they are way smarter than we are. ;)

Happy New Year!

oh! I posted a couple short yoga sequences on my blog, love them… short and sweet! When we get our new camera, I will post some mini classes from my kitchen!

polly January 1, 2009 at 4:35 pm

p.s. could you add me to your blog roll? Thanks, girl!

Tina January 1, 2009 at 4:56 pm

I NEED to try this yogadownload! I feel like I am really missing out!

charlotte January 1, 2009 at 5:23 pm

Woot, woot! Props to another black-and-white thinker;) My husband laughs at my all or nothing tendencies so it’s nice to know there are others out there. Happy New Year!

Erin January 1, 2009 at 7:56 pm

I totally am with you, but let me just say – I only did yoga (6 days a week) for two years and I was in the best shape of my life! I was nervous about it but it worked out great!

eatingbender January 1, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Yeeeeaaaah Heather! I’m so glad that you liked BluBurger – I think I’m going to have to get the veggie burger next time. Yum! Isn’t the culinary experience here just amazing?

I love the picture of you striking a yoga pose. It reminds me that I really want to get into yoga. It’s a part of my P90X workout that I’m starting when I get back to school…can’t wait!

{ 1 trackback }