An Indian Disaster & A New Look

by HEAB on January 7, 2009

Notice anything different around here?  Thanks to the brilliant ZestyCook, I’ve got a whole new look.  Not only does Zesty know his way around the kitchen (I’m dying to try this recipe), but he is also an amazing designer.  After giving him a completely vague idea of what I wanted, he came up with the perfect design for my blog header.  I love it – Thank you Zesty!  Make sure and visit his site today as I heard a rumor there is a giveaway. :)

As promised, tonight’s dinner included an array of Indian delights…

Red Lentil Daal & Saag with veggies

Red Lentil Daal & Saag with veggies

OK, so two Indian delights…definitely would have been better with some Naan!  This recipe is courtesy of Lindsay over at Happy Herbivore.  The lentils were good but needed more salt.  I always keep vegetable or chicken broth in the cabinet, but turns out I had none.  It was cream of mushroom soup or water…cream of mushroom and Garam Masala?  I think not.  So, I substituted water for the veggie broth.  Hence, the blandness.  Then I went and overdid it with the ginger in the Saag.  I accidentally used fresh instead of ground, and it basically tasted like collard greens doused in Lemon Pledge.  I know from reading other blogs, that Lindsay’s recipe is great, and I can’t wait to try it again.  Lessons learned:  always keep vegetable or chicken broth on hand, AND never use a garlic press to mince ginger.  I ended up with mostly ginger juice and just threw it in the pot.  Bad idea!  At least we tried something new…and the side of veggies was pretty tasty. :)

Workout Update…After my yoga challenge last week, I really wanted to return to Nashville and continue to strengthen my practice.  So, I’ve been back for 3 days now and have done NO yoga.  I did pick up a class schedule at my local gym today, and it’s either Piloga tomorrow morning or  a new Hatha yoga class on Thursday. The Piloga class is great, and I used to go all the time until my work schedule changed.  The instructor incorporates Pilates with the Vinyasa Flow style of yoga.  However, since I’m all about trying new things this week, I think I’ll check out the Hatha class.  I’m thinking tomorrow’s workout will include a cardio circuit.  Stay tuned for details as I love a good sweat-fest! :)

OK, it’s way past my bedtime.  Night y’all.

Question: If you stay up later than normal, do you eat a snack before going to bed?  It’s been hours since dinner, and I’m a little hungry.  Think I’ll just drink some hot tea and call it a night.

sarahannmatheny January 7, 2009 at 1:27 am

LOVE the new look! Very classy with the brown and the header is perfect!

At least your Indian spread LOOKS great! Lemon pledge? Nummers.

You can come over for almond butter and Puffins any time =)

I can tell you are a night owl like me, and so as to your question, I don’t really worry about eating before I go to bed. I hate waking up starving in the middle of the night or first thing in the morning, so I don’t go to bed even slightly hungry! Have that snack, girl!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2009 at 10:06 am

Hey Sarah, I’m laughing that you called me a night owl. Before I started blogging, I used to be in bed by 9 or 10. I’m on my computer way too much! :) If I’m up late again, I’ll have that snack. Thanks for reading!

Meghann January 7, 2009 at 6:12 am

LOVE the new header!

I’m pretty good about snacking before bed, but I am a big believer in a nice cup of hot tea right before bedtime.

VeggieGirl January 7, 2009 at 7:59 am

AMAZING new blog layout!!

I always eat a snack before bed.

Happy Herbivore January 7, 2009 at 8:17 am

beautiful banner!

I once tried to “mince” ginger with my garlic press — I think its a lesson we all have to learn on our own! i’m sorry it came out so bland :(

also, I always eat a snack before bed and sometimes double if I’m up really late. Its a misconception that eating after a certain time will make you gain weight… it doesn’t matter what time of the day you’re eating or even what you’re eating… its all about the calories… so as long as you’re not going over your limit, you’re fine… and you won’t be hungry!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2009 at 10:04 am

Thanks Lindsay! Glad to know I’m not the only one who has juiced her ginger. :)

Gina January 7, 2009 at 9:02 am

I love the new header, it looks awesome!

I’m sorry your Indian Feast didn’t turn out as planned…it looks yummy at least?

I’m with Lindsay, not eating after a certain time is a myth. But, I usually plan my meals out pretty strictly, so if I stay up late, I get hungry and don’t have any calories left. I did that yesterday, and I just had a cup of strawberries, something really low in calories, that normally wouldn’t keep me really full, but filled me up enough to not go to bed thinking about being hungry.

carolinebee January 7, 2009 at 9:55 am

Piloga!?! haha that is an awesome name..I’ve totally had that experience w/ginger- a little goes a LONG way! Your site looks beautious :D

Sammie January 7, 2009 at 10:03 am

I have the hardest time falling asleep if I am hungry. A little snackie helps take my mind off my growling belly. Although I love having a nice warm cup of tea right before snoozing – so relaxing. I love the new banner – ooh that creamy bowl of goodness!!!

Erin January 7, 2009 at 11:32 am

Your header looks gorgeous! I really love it! That Zesty is a man of all trades, am I right?! So impressed.
I always eat a snack after dinner! And I got o bed at like 9 or 10 – but I just gotta do it :)
Sorry the dal wasn’t perfecto! I love veggie bouillon cubes because they’re cheap and don’t contribute a lot of garbage.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Erin, veggie bouillon cubes – excellent tip. I’ll have to get some next time I’m at the store…which will be tomorrow, and the next day…and the next day. :)

FollowMyWeigh January 7, 2009 at 11:42 am

oooh i LOVE the new header!!! the font is very nice too =)

i don’t usuually eat a snack if i’m up later – my teeth are usually brushed by then! :)

Cherie January 7, 2009 at 12:11 pm

I love the new header, too. Nice look.

I don’t normally snack at night, but I did something weird last night. I ate a whole freakin’ avocado. Who does that? It was sooo good, though. No regrets.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Cherie, never regret the avocado. I love eating them that way.

Larissa January 7, 2009 at 12:24 pm

great new look!

Missy (Missy Maintains) January 7, 2009 at 1:24 pm

I love the new header!

As for snacking at night, that is my biggest problem! Sometimes I am not even hungry and I have a snack, or two before bed because I lose control. So I would def. say a snack is fine if you are hungry. I see that a lot of people drink tea…but doesn’t that make you wake up to pee a lot??

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Missy, the answer is yes…every night between 2-4 AM. Drives my husband crazy. :)

Scott January 7, 2009 at 1:44 pm

Like the new header sis!

charlotte January 7, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Love the new look! And your dogs are so pretty:) As for the snackage, I usually eat something if I’m hungry. My problem is that late at night I usually only want ice cream or popcorn;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 7, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Charlotte, why is it that we crave carbs at night? I ALWAYS want cereal.

polly January 7, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Heather,
hi girl! I would love cereal before bed! But… belly is much happier if my last bit of food was at least 4 hours before sleep.

LOVE the new header!! (I am writing this after eating an almond butter sandwich for an early bird dinner ;) XOXO

glidingcalm January 7, 2009 at 6:11 pm

mmmm Indian food! my favvvvvvv

gina (fitnessista) January 7, 2009 at 8:25 pm

your new header looks amazing! that zesty is so talented :D
i’m waiting for my fedex boxes to get here.. the almond butter you gave me is in there and i’m dying to eat it!
i love indian food with all of my soul :D
have a wonderful night!

eatingbender January 7, 2009 at 9:35 pm

I love your new layout! It’s screams HEATHER EATS ALMOND BUTTER :) Haha, I don’t know what I mean by that, but it’s true, trust me.

I also love your Barney Butter…crunchy was definitely the way to go on that one! Good call, and THANK YOU.

I love your Indian meal! It looks great! As far as snacking long after dinner, I’m like you – I try to drink a liquid of some sort because it usually fills me up just fine and then I can sleep easy.

Alisa January 7, 2009 at 11:52 pm

The new look is great! And, I definitely go for the late night snack if the grumbles hit. I thought that I was probably doing the wrong thing, but just last week I read a magazine article (self-prolaimed magazine freak here) that said late night snacks don’t lead to weight gain and are perfectly fine if your hungry. So I’m going with it … and off to grab some chocolate.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 8, 2009 at 10:59 am

Alisa, late night chocolate…yum! Good for you. :)
PS – magazine freak here as well.

Stephanie January 9, 2009 at 10:33 pm

so, indian… try 5 spices 50 ways… and i’ve learned that i have to follow the recipes exactly. try the chickpeas and dill, oh my! the beets are lovely too. i’m consuming large amounts of trader joes raw almond butter, can’t stop myself!
steph