Ode to Shells & Cheese

by HEAB on January 8, 2009

Today was rough, but I wanted to start by sharing some good news…I ran in Whole Food to get one ingredient I lacked for last night’s dinner.  Amazingly enough, I arrived at checkout with just my one item…miracle.  While waiting, a chapstick display caught my eye.  Any other chapstick addicts out there?  I recently ran out of my favorite Nanak’s Lip Smoothee, which is no longer available in Nashville. :(  I asked the cashier about the lip balm, and she proceeded to start raving about it.  Out of her excitement for the product, she told me to take one as a free sample.  My lips were overjoyed.

My Freebie

My Freebie

I’m liking this lip balm, and the cashier’s act of kindness totally made my morning.  Afterwards, the day got slightly crazy.

Long story short, Chris and I are trying to sell our house as we’re moving to Colorado.  We had two last minute showings yesterday.  Showings are difficult because we have two dogs…who shed…a lot.  So, I am constantly running around, broom in hand, trying to keep our house spotless.  When the real estate agents call, either Chris or I have to get the dogs out of the house for an hour.  I had so much I needed go get done before going into work yesterday, but found myself loading up the pooches and driving around aimlessly not once, but twice.  At least I got a few errands done, and Radley & Einstein love a good car ride.

Einstein & Baby Boo Rad

Einstein & Baby Boo Rad

Usually, I work out first thing in the AM.  Not the case with yesterday’s madness – don’t like missing my morning workout window. :(  The original plan consisted of a fun cardio circuit using all sorts of machines and then maybe running a few sprints up my gym’s parking garage ramp (love doing that!).  Instead, I only had 30 minutes and ended up running intervals on the treadmill.  I warmed up for 5 minutes at 4 mph, and then increased the speed every minute until I was running 9 mph (6.40 pace per mile).  I repeated this 4 times, cooled down for 2 minutes, and raced home to have lunch with Chris.  Not the exact workout I wanted to do, but I definitely got a good sweat on.  In fact, I had to roll down the windows on my way home, and it was in the 30′s yesterday.  Love a good sweat session!

Luckily my first client wasn’t until 4 PM yesterday.  Between our house showings and work, I did manage to get dinner made.  It’s not a 100% new recipe as I’ve made it before, but I changed the sauce for a new twist.

I started out by chopping 3 yellow summer squash with my beloved mandolin, added some salt to the mix, and set aside.

Bowl 'o squash <i>noodles</i>

Bowl 'o squash noodles

I then made a raw cheese sauce based on a recipe from Country Life Vegetarian Cookbook.  I blended the following ingredients in my Vita-Mix.

1 1/2 cups raw cashews

1 cup water

1 TBSP Naturally Nutty Peanut Butter (substituted for Tahini)

3 TBSP Nutritional Yeast

2 TBSP lemon juice

2 tsp onion powder

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1 1/4 tsp salt

pinch cayenne

pinch turmeric

I then added the sauce to my noodles, and voila…raw mac & cheese.

Raw Mac & Cheese - so creamy!

Look how creamy!

Work was great.  Both my clients were non-talkers, and I find I can really get more in tune with their bodies if they don’t talk to me during the session.  I was totally in my massage therapy zone and really worked out some of their knots.  My job is so satisfying.  I love helping people. :)  After work, I drove  home hankering for a hunk of cheese.  My plate consisted of some steamed broccoli, a wild salmon burger and my raw creation.

My dinner plate...prior to the addition of Annie's Ketchup

My dinner plate prior to the addition of Annie's Kethcup

After dinner, the plan was to write this post, and catch up on everyone’s blogs that I had neglected throughout the day.  Does anyone else get stressed when their Google Reader is exploding with new entries?  Turns out our Internet was down.  Ugh, I was so frustrated and decided to just go to bed.  I needed to to catch up on sleep anyway.

So, after a busy day, some good food, and plenty of sleep, I am now ready to face the world…with moisturized lips. :)  OK, off to sort through my Google Reader.  Can’t wait to see what everyone is up to.  Have a great Thursday!

jacob c January 8, 2009 at 7:17 am

Awww…cute puppy ;-)

So why are we moving to Colorado, if you don’t mind?

Sux with the internet, mine was down yesterday also..

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 8, 2009 at 10:57 am

Hey Jacob, Chris and I spent 5 weeks running around Pike’s Peak & Garden of the Gods this summer, and loved every minute of it. His boss is going to let him work full-time from a home office out West. So excited…know anyone that would like a 1920′s Tudor style house?

MizFit January 8, 2009 at 7:40 am

GIRL I FEEL FOR YOU as I have been there.
2 dogs.
different color hair (black and brindle).
trying to sell the house.
all a crazy maker :)

take care,

Erica January 8, 2009 at 7:44 am

You guys are moving? I had no idea! I can TOTALLY relate. Before we left Maryland, I was cleaning the house every single day just in case someone came to look (Frank’s hair was always everywhere). Since the market is/was slow- it was really frustrating (trying to keep everything perfect and have no one come look). Our house is still…yet to sell. Things are starting to pick up. Fingers crossed!

Glad you got a fun freebie! Yayy! I am a total chapstick addict!The raw mac and cheese sounds totally interesting. I want to read some more about the raw movement!

I love your new title bar btw!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 8, 2009 at 10:56 am

Hey Erica, I’m keeping my fingers crossed as well. Definitely not the best time to have a house on the market. Hope you sell your house soon!

chocolatecoveredvegan January 8, 2009 at 8:17 am

That raw cheeze not only sounds amazing, it LOOKS super-creamy!

Meghann January 8, 2009 at 8:18 am

Interesting take on Mac & Cheese.

So glad you like non-talkers, I HATE it when I get a massage and the therapist tries to talk to me. I always feel guilty if I don’t talk back, but its really hard to relax that way.

VeggieGirl January 8, 2009 at 8:20 am

Hang in there with the rough days, girl!!

charlotte January 8, 2009 at 8:32 am

Your dogs are soooo cute! I know I’ve told you that already but I swear every time I come here it makes me want a puppy. SIgh. Anyhow, good luck with your move. I feel your pain. We had to show our house with 3 small children underfoot. They don’t shed but they sure are good at making messes! It will work out for you soon:) And I love Colorado! When my husband finishes school that’s our #1 spot where we want to move…

Matt January 8, 2009 at 9:18 am

ah… google reader. i love it, but sometimes there is just so much to read!

awesome workout though, i love getting all sweaty like that. it really makes me feel like i had a workout ya know?

hang in there with the move!

carolinebee January 8, 2009 at 9:25 am

OMG LOVE your dogs!!! I don’t think I’ve seen them yet :D Black labs are the absolute best…I”m a chapstick freak- i like original brand, black and white, but blistex is good too, that’s awesome she gave u VEGAN chapstick! AND yes i get totally stressed with 30 + items in my google reader.

Evey January 8, 2009 at 9:30 am

Raw mac n cheese? Sounds heavenly!! Must give that a try.. thanks for the recipe!

That’s great about the lip balm… I love getting free stuff as well! :-)

Have a great day!

polly January 8, 2009 at 10:04 am

hi Heather!!

I had no idea you were a massage therapist?! That is SO COOL! One of my dear friends is my massage therapist, and yes we LOVE to chat, but not during massages. It is quiet as can be and WONDERFUL. I bet you are amazing at your job!

Hugs!

sarahannmatheny January 8, 2009 at 10:26 am

Mmm…sauce looks good.

So do your friends/family always bug you for free massages?

You have gorgeous blue eyes! I hope you posted that as your favorite feature on Erin’s post yesterday!

Good luck with the house sale, I know how frustrating that could be.
“Non-talkers”–HA! I thought my hubs and I were the only one who used that phrase. Hell is a long car ride with a non-talker. Even worse, a hard of hearing non-talker!

Have a good day!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 8, 2009 at 10:54 am

Hi Sara, my friends/family are pretty good and always offer to pay me for massages. However, I always work on family members for free, and friends get a discount.

Thank you for your sweet compliment. I did post the eyes as my favorite feature on Erin’s blog. :)

Gina January 8, 2009 at 10:39 am

Cool chap stick! How nice that she gave it to you for free. I am always losing my chap sticks, so I am always buying them, although its not quite as fun anymore. I pretty much know the few normal brands that are vegan and just buy them over and over!

I’m sorry you had a crazy day. At least your dinner turned out good :) Raw Mac & Cheese sounds yummy!

Kelly Turner January 8, 2009 at 10:47 am

puppyfaces! so cute!

i Loooove mac and cheese!

Kelly Turner

misstiffie January 8, 2009 at 11:47 am

mmmm that mac & cheese looks sooo good. & the doggies are soooo cute :D

hehe i love the happy lip balm just looking at it makes me smile. i just got a free stick of barbie lip balm in taiwan, i haven’t tried it out yet tho… lol :D but i love it when simple things come in pretty packages.

Jill January 8, 2009 at 11:53 am

H! We would love your house (Joe fell in love with it when we came to the CMM party). However, we already bought property (as you know). Crap. It will sell though. It is so cute and so nice.

We are also trying to sell our house. It will come. Like I say, someone will want to move to our great city…they’re coming in droves these days.

Seems we not only shop alike, we eat alike. I ALSO had a salmon patty last night. Costco friend. Ha!

If you ever need to leave the pups, call me. We have a fenced yard. And, no our house is not on the market yet. But, we totally don’t mind dog sitting.

And, I am so coming to see you. I respect the need for quietness also. Yea!! I’ll email you when I have a free spot.

Missy (Missy Maintains) January 8, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Love you mac & cheese recipe!! Looks so good!

That is great about the chapstick! Let us know how it is :)

I get stressed sometimes about reading everyone’s blogs but it keeps me busy at work so it is fine! Good luck with the move!

polly January 8, 2009 at 1:02 pm

hey Heather, I featured your favorite food on my blog today!!! :) XOXO BEWARE… you might need a spoon and a jar of the creamy yumminess nearby… ;)

Danielle January 8, 2009 at 2:56 pm

What cute dogs! Good Luck with all the showings and selling the house!

Matt January 8, 2009 at 2:56 pm

thanks for the advice about the parks. that’s actually a really good idea since there shouldn’t be too many people there on a weekday morning.

so a no go on the steel cut? i’ve only made steel cut oats a couple times when i had some time in the morning… but they take forever on the stove.

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 8, 2009 at 3:48 pm

Matt, I’ve tried the steel cut in both a crockpot and a rice cooker. I didn’t have much luck with either, but you might want to try. I’ve read that rice cookers work well. The easiest way I found to cook steel cut oats is put them in a thermos with boiling water, stir, screw on thermos lid, and let sit overnight. In the morning, you have a warm thermos of oats. Throw in your mix-ins and you’re good to go. Good luck with the park running!

chriistina January 8, 2009 at 7:25 pm

happy thursday! what a heather-ish ode to shells and cheese! what a great comfort food.

as far as chapstick goes…i’m not really a fan. thank god my lips never get chapped :)

Erin January 8, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Wow, you have a lot going on! Yet you still managed to do great work with your clients and make a delicious raw meal. I’d LOVE to try that recipe but no vita mix! Only a matter of time. :)
Heather, I just adore you! The work you do sounds amazing. What a gift to give people. I had some health problems in high school and saw a massage therapist every two weeks for three years. It changed my life! She was amazing.
I get stressed about reader too. :/ Sometimes I just can’t read everything or leave comments. But that’s okay! It’s not a job. Just a hobby we’re sort of preoccupied wit. :)
Have a great week and good luck to ya’ll with the house!

Jessie January 9, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Oh, this sounds great! And love, love, love the pups! We have a keeshond, and his fluff gets everywhere, despite my best efforts. :D

Cheers!