One Hummusdinger of a Pizza

by HEAB on January 8, 2009

I was rockin the raw mac & cheese all day today.  The morning flew by and I didn’t eat breakfast until 10 AM which is late for me.  Last night’s dinner + my little evening snacky snack really held me over.  After realizing the time, I debated on whether to eat or wait until after my 11:15 Hatha yoga class as I know you shouldn’t do yoga on a full stomach.  Hmmm, to eat or not to eat?  I ate.

Protein Packed Scramble

Protein Packed Scramble

I scrambled egg whites with cottage cheese.  Right before the eggs were done, I added some raw mac & cheese and topped it with lots of pepper.  Wait, where is the almond butter?

No worries...here it is.

No worries...here it is.

I always have nut butter with breakfast.  This is a whole wheat tortilla slathered with a TBSP of Erin‘s favorite, Maranatha Honey Almond Butter and topped with carob chips.  I folded the tortilla and warmed it in the toaster oven.  I had to unfold it for your viewing pleasure.  Check out those ooey-gooey melted chunks of love.  Can I get a Holy Yum?!?

I went to my Hatha yoga class with no expectations.  Most Hatha yoga classes involve gentle stretching and deep breathing, but I was hoping for a little intensity.  No disappointment there.  We started off the class with Sun Salutations and did a number of my favorite poses.  I love Pigeon Pose!  So great for the hips.  The class was just what I needed after the craziness that was yesterday.  As we lay in Savasana, the instructor came around to adjust us and then massaged our foreheads – love that!  How do you feel about your yoga instructor making adjustments to your body during class?

When I got home, I was still content from breakfast and waited a while to eat lunch.  A protein filled breakfast with healthy fats will curb my appetite for hours.  If I eat only carbs, I’m starving an hour or two later.  Love my cereals & oats, but I gotta add that protein punch!

Onto lunch…

Tuna noodle Casserole with roasted veggies

Tuna noodle casserole with roasted veggies

I got all old school and decided on a tuna noodle casserole just like Mom used to make…However, I don’t think she ever used raw mac & cheese. :)  I mixed one small can of tuna with 3 heaping TBSP of my mac & cheese and added some peas.  On the side were leftover roasted veggies.  Gotta have my greens!

Then it was off to the dog park with Einstein & Radley.  I like to walk the perimeter of the park and try to get them to chase after me.  It was 45 minutes of fun in the sun with my pups.  See, you don’t have to spend hours in the gym.  Get outside and play…that’s exercise too!

Yes, I did have to work today, but I only had one client. :(  This week has been so slow, but I’m sure it’s just because everyone is getting back into the swing of things after the holidays.  Those clients will be calling me soon…especially after all that soreness kicks in from their New Year’s resolution workouts! :)

I arrived home famished and whipped up a new recipe that was very quick…and very delicious!

Flat Out pizza with veggies

Flat Out hummus pizza with veggies

I read about Eating Bender’s brilliant Humbeque pizza over at Banana Cabana, and this was my quickie version.  I slapped some hummus and Trader Joe’s BBQ sauce on a Flat Out wrap and then covered it with TJ’s lite shredded cheese.  Threw on some roasted veggies and popped it in a 350 degree oven until the cheese melted.  Served it up with the last of my leftover roasted veggies.  The hummus/BBQ sauce combo tasted excellent.  I would highly recommend this as it’s a nice change from the usual tomato sauce.  Thank you Jenn & Caroline!

Kath Eats Real Food products are now available online at Cafe Press.  I’m debating between the coffee mug and the tote bag for myself.  Kath’s amazing blog was one of the first food blogs I read, and probably like a lot of you out there, she inspired me to start  a blog of my own.  So, go check out the KERF store and help spread the word about Kath Eats to the rest of the world.  They’re totally missing out!

carolinebee January 8, 2009 at 9:22 pm

Whew! You almost scurred me there for a second thinking you forgot the almond butter….YUMMM girl! I’m glad I helped spread Jenn’s bomb recipe :D That’s so funny about the New Year’s Resolution clients- the gym is SO packed lately I’m sure you will be the next place they’re headed, hey- maybe some massage gifts as Valentine’s presents too right? I know what you mean about eating before yoga too, but if i don’t i feel so weak! Good call, have a great night.

Gina January 8, 2009 at 9:23 pm

I love pigeon pose also, especially because it is one of the most commonly done poses and yet, I am not very good at it. My hips are incredibly tight, they always have been, even when I danced when I was younger. I can feel it getting better though, one of the reasons I am trying to go more than once a week.

I actually HATE when I am in final Savasana and the teachers massage me. I don’t really like people touching my face…especially when I am supposed to be relaxing. I do, however, love when they adjust me during the more active portion of the class. I went to a class once where the teacher never corrected anyone, and I hated it, because I knew I wasn’t doing it PERFECT. But that was on an Army base, and…you kind of take what you can get, I’m lucky they even had a yoga class.

Now that I wrote you a small novel…yummy food today! Carob chips looks awesome ;)

Gina January 8, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Um, I just got your comment about BF. That’s not even fair, I am coming to Nashville now.

larissa January 8, 2009 at 9:32 pm

the pizza looks great!

FollowMyWeigh January 8, 2009 at 10:02 pm

that tortilla with the melted carob chips looks like art!! haha def. viewing pleasure.
that raw mac & cheese is super impressive!!

gina (fitnessista) January 8, 2009 at 10:07 pm

i looooove raw mac and cheese but rolled with the raw marinara pasta today :D
that’s so cool you made jenn’s humbeque pizza! i was drooling over it when she posted that recipe and your version looks amazing!
hope you have a wonderful night!

eatingbender January 8, 2009 at 10:34 pm

Mac & Cheese, Plleeease! I’ve never tried it raw before. I definitely need to get on that :)

You tried my humbecue pizza! YAY! You have no idea how excited I get when people try something of mine – thank you! And even better, you enjoyed the combination. I need to make that again now that I bought some hummus.

I kind of want to buy Kath’s oatmeal/dog bowl!

hangryPants January 8, 2009 at 11:59 pm

Brussels sprouts on pizza! I’ll give that a Holy Yum!

Amira January 9, 2009 at 12:08 am

yum everything looks incredibly delish!
I’m specially lovin the looksie of the pizza and wrap
p.s i LOVe nut butters way too much

sarahannmatheny January 9, 2009 at 12:51 am

I love your post title…very clever! I had Flatout pizza tonight too! Mine was good, yours might be better!

Lesley Borger January 9, 2009 at 6:13 am

Your hummus veggie pizza looks really good!! I haven’t been on blogger long or seen your blog many times but I get the idea you love almond butter? ; ) Do you mostly just stick to almond butter or are you a fan of other nut butters? I think I’d have to say my favorite at the moment is cashew butter … yum!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 9, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Hi Lesley, why on earth would you think I like almond buttter? :) I love all nut butters…never met one I didn’t like. Cashew butter IS crazy good! We make it ourselves in the Vita-Mix. Yum! Thanks for reading my blog. Have a good weekend.

VeggieGirl January 9, 2009 at 6:22 am

Loooove the new header , “holy yum” wrap (haha!! you rock), and the pizza!! :-D

Erica January 9, 2009 at 6:41 am

Hey girl- Thank you for the wonderful oat bran idea. You are the best ;) What a great day of eats. My favorite parts are the roast veggies from lunch and your dinner! So fab! Glad you enjoyed yoga today! I am all for instructors making adjustments! That is what they’re there for- to guide and correct!

Raspberry Runner January 9, 2009 at 9:18 am

mmm…honey almond butter! i have trouble doing pigeon pose, but i think it would feel really good if i was more flexible! the teacher said that running adds tension to your hips, so i’m sure that’s my problem…

Missy (Missy Maintains) January 9, 2009 at 10:03 am

The hummus pizza looks amazing!! I need to make that one day! I have only done 2 Yoga classes before and the teacher never touched me. I do like when teachers correct me in weight training classes though so that I have the correct form.

jacob c January 9, 2009 at 12:07 pm

I’m going to have to try the PB & chocolate on the tortilla in the toaster tonight! Even with my normal PB and chips, i’m sure healthier than my reeces pieces ;-p

Uggh.. I do weights at the ymca twice a week, and always do about 5k(20 mins or so) on the treadmill to warm up… All those resolutioners are out in force!! I had to wait on a treadmill and several machines. I’ll be glad when next month gets here and they are gone! ha

Illuminati January 9, 2009 at 12:25 pm

That is one loaded pizza. And you know how I love pizza.

I’d make love to it if it stopped rejecting me.

polly January 9, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Hi Heather!

Holy Yum for almomd butter, of course! :)

Pigeon pose is a fave for me too! Always a challenge to stay relaxed but soooo wonderful when I do! :)

Enjoy this sweet day, friend! Up here we are supposed to get 7-9 inches of SNOW!!!!!!!!!! XOXO

Erin January 9, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Some beautiful eats! You can guess which is my favorite! :) I like your take on Jenn’s pizza. Mama mia…love hummus!
I’m down for adjustments if the teacher knows I have injuries. I used to go to a studio in Portland every day and they knew my body really well. Getting the head rub and the shoulders gently pressed down to the mat during savasana…THE BEST!

Dori January 9, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Your breakfast looks absolutely incredible. I never actually thought of scrambling egg whites with cottage cheese before (where have I been!) but now I can’t wait! And I am addicted carob chips, can’t buy them or I eat the whole bag. And of course, I love nut butter.

Danielle January 9, 2009 at 3:58 pm

I love pizza on a flatout and your’s looks so good! Thank god I planned on making pizza tonight your pizza has me craving it!

seeleelive January 10, 2009 at 2:31 am

Heather, great post. Must try that pizza, except i do not have flat outs. do u and your hubby eat the same thing for dinner at night or different thing? my parents kinda raised me to believe that everyone should eat the same meal for dinner…(diff portions of course and the same food) so idk how id feel when i am married to always make healthy alternatives!! i cant believe i am worrying about this already…oh the mind!

on the yoga note, I am learning how to accept the “constructive criticism” when i am corrected. seriously..i think it hurt my ego alot in the beginning, but now i feel BLESSED!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 10, 2009 at 5:50 am

Hey Lee, I used to worry about those same things…thankfully, Chris grew up eating healthy food, and loves all my cooking. However, he does have a bit of a sweet tooth and eats a lot more meat than I do. So, I usually don’t prepare 2 separate meals, but I’ll just make some meat to add to his. For instance, his pizza would get bacon…mine broccoli. Other than that, we’re mostly on the same page. He does give me the evil eye sometimes when I stink up the house with my steamed broccoli, but he respects my wishes to eat as well as I can. I think that is most important. Even if you don’t have the same eating patterns, it really helps if your husband understands why you eat what you do and encourages you to maintain your healthy habits. Now…if he didn’t like peanut butter…well, that could be a major problem as that is just wrong! But, I guess it would always mean more PB for you. :)

{ 2 trackbacks }