I Tried…It Failed…I Love Cereal

by HEAB on January 12, 2009

So, for all you new to the site, last week I tried to get out of my food rut by trying a new recipe every night.  It’s not that I was unhappy with my meal choices, but I felt I needed a change from the same foods I was eating everyday.  Here is a recap of the week:

Shirataki Noodle Stirfry with Creole Sauce

The Indian Mishap

Raw Mac & Cheese

Hummusdinger Pizza

Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers

Thai Tofu Lunch

I can sum up last week in one word: bloated.  Everything tasted wonderful…well, except the Indian dish.  Ooops, my bad. :)   I know I will eat all these meals again…especially the Creole sauce and the hummus pizza.  Hmmm, I bet the Creole sauce would taste amazing on a pizza – ha, new combo!  Anyway, I don’t think my body is used to big meals like this night after night, and I rarely add salt to my food.  I felt like my sodium intake was through the roof after eating all these sauces.   Plus, I refuse to throw out good food, and I was stressing trying to eat all the leftovers before moving onto the next recipe.  Ever had mac & cheese for breakfast AND lunch…two days in a row?!?  Yeah, I probably won’t be making that one again for a loooong time.  For the most part everything was delicious.  However, I definitely missed my normal eats.  All these wonderful meals, but all I really wanted was broccoli and cereal.

Conclusion: Although I enjoyed trying something new every night, and I loved spending hours in my kitchen, I learned that I love my Heather meals.  So I eat the same foods everyday?  Big deal as long I’m getting all my nutrients, right?  I’ll continue to try new recipes; hopefully at least once a week, but until then, I’m going to eat what I really want.  Broccoli and cereal for dinner?  I’m baaaaack!

Ode to Typical Heather MealsI missed you guys!

Brekkie: Cottage cheese with Kashi Honey Almond Flax GoLean Crunch and Cinnamon Puffins with Barney Butter.  Not too pretty – didn’t take a picture.  Use your imagination. :)

Lunch:

carrot & bell pepper with cottage cheese & hummus

Lunch plate #1: carrot & bell pepper with cottage cheese & hummus

carrot with PB & Cinnamon Raisin toast with Laughing Cow Lite cheese, carob chips and cranberry apple butter

Still hungry. Lunch plate #2: carrot with PB. Cinnamon-raisin toast with Laughing Cow Lite cheese, carob chips and cranberry apple butter.

Snack: Usually yogurt or some type of bar, my favorite being Kashi Go Lean Crunchy in Chocolate Peanut or Almond.

Roasted veggies with butternut squash fries

Roasted veggies with butternut squash fries...before I slathered it all in Annie's ketchup of course :)

Dessert: Greek yogurt, Trader Joe’s High Fiber Twigs, Cinnamon Puffins, and a big scoop of almond butter.   Ahhh, heavenly.

I may have added a dollop of whipped cream after I took the picture, but you'll never know...

OK, OK, here it is. :)

PS – Here is the trick to crispy butternut squash fries…

Roast them on a greased baking rack.  This allows air to circulate beneath them, preventing soggy fries.  Brilliant!

Roast them on a greased baking rack. This allows air to circulate beneath them, preventing soggy fries. Brilliant!

PPS - Does anyone know a method of cooking  broccoli that will NOT stink up my house?!?

Darius T. Williams January 12, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Crispy butternut squash fries…brilliant!

zestycook January 12, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Heather the food looks amazing! I do have a quick awesome broccoli dish that doesn’t smell the house up. Heat up your frying pan or wok super hot and add some oil then add some garlic move it around quickly so it doesn’t burn, then add the broccoli pieces and stir fry them. They will begin to caramelize and get dark on the outside – that is perfect. hit them with a splash of fresh lemon and only cook them for about 3-4 minutes. They will still be slightly crunchy but oh so good! If you want to – I like to pan fry a little bacon before and then add the garlic and broccoli. Plate it up and top with some fresh parmesan cheese. A great side dish! And the only smell is garlic really :)

zesty

Marissa January 12, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Yay Puffins!

I make broccoli a couple times a week and the whole floor smells like broccoli…oops :)

carolinebee January 12, 2009 at 9:31 pm

YUM! I totally know what you mean- if i go on a “new food” rampage- i sort of crave my old boring meals, just give me a veggie burger with some ketchup baby :D All your meals sound amazing, now you have good ones to choose from!

Gina January 12, 2009 at 9:37 pm

Mmmm, that dinner looks totally perfect. I don’t think there is anything better than roasted veggies!

polly January 12, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Heather, I just love you! You crack me up with your bloaty belly and love of boring meals. … ME TOO! :) Oh my, I do love to branch out every so often, but girl, it’s the same foods for me most of the time. Hubby is the same way. Simple, healthy, and YUMMY. That is pretty much the 3 requirements. ;)

Also, broccoli!! YES! I always stink up the house… I was so happy you asked that! Okay nite nite! XOXO

jacobc January 12, 2009 at 10:08 pm

You should be a celebrity chef or something!

Rachel ray sux.. i would rather watch your show ;-p

FollowMyWeigh January 12, 2009 at 10:24 pm

at least u tried it!! and u got some great recipes from it too. but i totally agree, big deal if we eat the same thing right?? there MUST be a reason we keep going back to the foods we do~ =)

eatingbender January 12, 2009 at 10:24 pm

You make me smile :) “I can sum up last week in one word: bloated.” 2 bonus points for honesty! I’m glad that you enjoyed the food, but I’m doubly glad that you’re getting back to your routine. Sometimes it takes some switching up to realize that we really had a good thing goin’ there! Cereal rocks the house! As does Barney Butter!

Thanks for the secret to those fries! I truly was wondering that! Now I just need a baking rack…

So I wish I could answer your question for me about CrossFit, but I don’t know what that is! Haha, I’m not much help, am I?!

Have a great night, Heather!

charlotte January 12, 2009 at 10:37 pm

Glad to see that you had fun trying the new foods and that you discovered what you really like to eat! Thanks for the tip on the crispy squash fries! I have the same issue with sweet potatoes. My kids will be so excited! As for non-stinky broccoli… I’m afraid I can’t help you there. Except, I suppose, to point out that cabbage and brussel sprouts both smell far worse. Count your blessings?

Stephanie January 12, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Your dinner looks delicious. I love butternut squash and never thought to make them into “fries.” Sounds amazing. :)

I usually eat the same things too. I think it’s pretty common. We like what we like! :)

Hangry Pants January 13, 2009 at 1:01 am

Yeah sometimes trying all that new food leads to excitement bloat. At least you broke the rut. Plus,who cares if you eat the same thing every day if that’s what you enjoy.

I like Zesty’s broccoli instructions. Whenever I cook it, place stinks!

sarahannmatheny January 13, 2009 at 1:09 am

I say eat what makes your insides (and your tongue) happy.

If I’m paranoid about the broccoli smell (which most the time I’m not, but if people are coming over or something), I’ll steam my broccoli in the microwave with a little plastic wrap over the bowl and then when its done cooking, I’ll take the bowl outside or to the garage and let the stinky steam out, dish it up and bring it back inside. Isn’t that ridiculous?!!

Thanks for the BS fries tip…I’ve got two squash begging me to try it!

Jen January 13, 2009 at 5:23 am

I admire for you trying new things! But I tend to be somewhat a creature of habit too! Hey, we like what we like, right! ;) OUR bodies know what we want!

As for the broc…I heard someone say that when you cook it, simmer a pot of vinegar on the stove (same for when cooking fish or other stinky foods) and it removes all the odors. Ive never tried but if you do let us know! :D

glidingcalm January 13, 2009 at 6:16 am

bnut squash fries. droooooooool

VeggieGirl January 13, 2009 at 7:00 am

“Although I enjoyed trying something new every night, and I loved spending hours in my kitchen, I learned that I love my Heather meals.”

Amen!! I love my VeggieGirl meals :-D

Sammie January 13, 2009 at 7:08 am

I am with you Heather. I love to take some peaceful time in the kitchen trying a new recipe but honestly my tummy loves my same old stuff. Add a dollop of PB or AB to some toast, crackers or yogurt and I am in heaven. Have a great day.

healthy ashley January 13, 2009 at 8:47 am

I can definitely relate to loving your own style of eating. For a while I overwhelmed myself by trying so many new foods at once and really depriving myself of the basic mishmashes I loved eating! From that I’ve resolved to try new recipes, but maybe once a week so I can mix the leftovers in with my normal foods but not have them overwhelm me. Good luck!

marafaye January 13, 2009 at 8:56 am

Thanks for the baking rack tip!! Amazing!

Mel January 13, 2009 at 10:25 am

Thanks for baking rack tip.

Another way to make broccoli that doesn’t stink is to roast in the oven like cauliflower.A little EVOO, some garlic and salt and pepper that’s all. It turns out really good that way! Zesty’s method also works well too!

misstiffie January 13, 2009 at 10:31 am

i dont notice that broccoli stinks.. but then i dont think cabbage stinks too, maybe it’s just me?! hehe…

and as much as i love trying new things there’s just something about the good old comfy foods i’m used to :]

mmmmmm whipped cream!!!!

Jill January 13, 2009 at 10:39 am

Nobody ever was discredited for being a creature of habit! I too, eat the same thing everyday. But, when you shop at a bulk food store…you have to…right?

I have found that fixing one nice recipe a week is plenty. Gives the two of us something new to try and is enough leftovers that we are not overwhelmed trying to finish it!

I noticed one trend on your usual eats – do you ever eat fruit? I always see lots of veggies, proteins and milk products…but not ever much fruit. Just wondering.

Also, commenting back about Costco. This may take CD’s expertise. Do you guys buy the “executive” membership to Costco or just the “regular” membership? They are CONTINUALLY hounding me about “but, you get 2% back!!” (I just don’t see the benefit…so let me know what CD’s take on this is…)

Glad the yogurt and puffins are back…and the butter! I have missed those beautiful pictures! YUM!!

Missy (Missy Maintains) January 13, 2009 at 10:49 am

All your “Heather” food looks delicious to me! I know what you mean, I love sticking to my usual routine meals. I also feel more comfortable knowing exactly when I will get hungry..I guess a control issue. Yummy looking fries!

Meghann January 13, 2009 at 10:59 am

I know what you mean, big meals are cook to cook everyonce in a while, but not a every day occurance. :)

Broccoli in your cereal? I will have to try that one!

thanks for the butternut squash fries tip. Mine always come out soggy.

Julz January 13, 2009 at 11:59 am

BROCCOLI STINKS? I NEVER thought so! I just steam it in the micro 4 2 mins on high power! :)

cherlynn01 January 13, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Your plain everyday meals make mine look like crackers. Wait, they are. Why can’t you just be my personal chef?

Illuminati January 13, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Could it be you don’t have enough experience with the new meals? Like if you made them enough, you could perfect them, or tweek them to be good?

Like take one you kind of liked and keep trying it and see if it gets better?

Kelly Turner January 13, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Yum! This all looks so good.

I need to start cooking more. expand my horizons

Kelly Turner

RunToFinish January 13, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I love trying new things…like once a week, otherwise just give me my PB, my fruit and my veggies. It takes planning to eat my yummy veggies so you know I’m good with how life is. :)

I cook my broccoli in a steamer bag and no stink that I’ve found.

VeggieGirl January 13, 2009 at 4:02 pm

I’m back :-)

**Just as a heads up: I will not be able to comment on blogs as often now, during this semester, due to work overload (I’m stressed already) – PLEASE know that I’m still loyally reading, but just won’t have time to comment. I hope you understand!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 13, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Awww VeggieGirl, no worries! I know your upcoming semester is going to be super busy. Take care and make sure to keep that brain of your’s fueled with an abundance of Larabars. Holy Yum! :)

ttfn300 January 13, 2009 at 7:24 pm

yumm, i need to go make me some b-nut fries. right now :) shoot me an email when you get a chance with your addy (tri2cook [at] gmail dot] com). do you have a grill?

Erica January 13, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Hey girl! I like to try 1 or so new recipes a week. Every day is really tough! Your dessert looks so good. I wish I had it here right now ;)

{ 1 trackback }