I'm Warm…Look, No Scarf

by HEAB on January 15, 2009

I had a sudden urge to try Hot Yoga this morning, and there happen to be a 90 minute class offered at 9:30.  Perfect.  After registering online, I grabbed my towel and water bottle and headed to the studio.  Most of my friends have tried Hot Yoga Nashville, but I had never been.  I’ve heard you either love it, or you hate it.  I tend to perspire a good bit, and always imagined myself slipping in a pool of my own sweat during Downward Dog. No thanks! But, I’m all about trying new things these days…so why not?

I figured I didn’t have much to lose as the first class is free for newbies.  And, with the temperature in the teens, what better way to warm yourself up than 90 minutes of yoga in a 105 degree studio?  All classes do the same Bikram sequence, a Hatha yoga routine consisting of 26 poses that are each performed twice.  I was excited as I had never done this type of yoga before.  Well, apparently, the Thursday morning class is not Bikram, but Power Yoga…for 90 minutes…in an extremely HOT room!  It was….amazing.  I don’t think I have ever sweat that much in my life!  I left feeling completely wiped out but energized at the same time.

Whew, what a workout! What's up with that sweat pattern? :)

First timers no longer get a free class, but I did not find this out until I was already there. :(  My options were to pay $20 for one class…I just couldn’t do it.  Option 2 was 7 days of classes for $35.  Now that sounded like a much better deal.  So, I have committed myself to 7 straight days of yoga.  This is huge for me y’all.  No cardio.  No weights.  I’m just going to do a lot of yoga…and a ton of sweating.  I can’t wait.  To all my yogis out there, do you think I’ll notice significant changes just after 7 days?  Also, what is with this appetite?!?

I could not satiate my hunger today!  Breakfast was the usual cottage cheese and cereal with almond butter.  I ate really early so my food would not be sloshing around during yoga.  After class, I chowed down on a Cherry Pie Larabar ( Polly moment :) ).  After a quick shower, I met my husband at his office for lunch.  I got a huge salad from the restaurant in his building.  Lots of raw veggies and topped it off with cottage cheese.  Then I came home and had 2 carrots with peanut butter and not 5 minutes later had a Pure Protein bar….and I was still hungry.  Is this normal?  Maybe I was just dehydrated after all that sweating?  I decided to drink a big glass of warm water hoping that would fill my belly as I had to get to work.

4 hours later…famished.  I made this fabulous din-din.

Egg white omelette with veggies & Laughing Cow cheese, steamed broccoli, and butternut squash fries

Someone asked me what kind of ketchup I use.  I love Annie’s.

img_1201How much you ask?

I am not ashamed.

I am not ashamed.

And for dessert…

Another one bites the dust.

All gone. :)

Erica January 15, 2009 at 8:30 pm

ahhhh! I want to try it so bad! Thank you for the review. Your weekend sounds like a lot of fun! Happy Birthday to your mama!

Hangry Pants January 15, 2009 at 8:38 pm

I did a similar package when I tried Bikram. The first day I hated it. It seemed so boring to do the same poses every time! But because I bought a week-long package I went back again and again and by the end of the week I loved it. I mean I have never sweat so much in my life! Enjoy the week. :D

carolinebee January 15, 2009 at 8:39 pm

WHAT a glorious day!! haha sweatyyyyness i love it…I’m excited to see how your week of yoga experiment plays out, it sounds amazing!

Matt January 15, 2009 at 8:46 pm

i love a sweaty workout! i’ve never done yoga though… not my thing!

ttfn300 January 15, 2009 at 8:48 pm

ooh, sounds like a great class :)

Kelly Turner January 15, 2009 at 8:51 pm

my boss is a bikram nut. he just started and loves it.

me? I like my scarves too much ;)

Kelly Turner

Jill Mongene January 15, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Oh, I LOVE Hot Yoga…it’s the best way to acclimate to hot weather too! Hurts so good. Be sure you don’t get dehydrated after 7 straight days (are you taking a lot of water in the class?). In 2007, I did so much Hot Yoga before CMM that I started feeling dizzy and seeing spots…yipes.

Amy January 15, 2009 at 9:40 pm

Hey Heather!
I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to tell you how fabulous it is! I especially love your inspiring story. I look forward to reading more :)

–amy

Gina January 15, 2009 at 9:59 pm

They don’t have hot yoga here, but I totally want to try it!! I am looking forward to reading about your weeklong yoga adventure :) When we buy a house, my husband really wants a gym in the basement, and I am looking forward to going to a yoga studio instead of the yoga at my gym. I adore my instructor, but I have never had anyone like him at a gym before.

Oh, and I would bet that you were probably hungry from losing the water, but it sounds like you still had a pretty light day…although I guess maybe I just eat a lot.

Maggie January 15, 2009 at 10:34 pm

You will absolutely see a difference in 7 days. Bobby did yoga and after only 4-5 days he was like “hey I’m flexible, my back doesn’t hurt anymore, and I feel awesome!”. I realllly want to try hot yoga! Yoga makes me hungry – it really is a workout.

eatingbender January 15, 2009 at 10:51 pm

I burst out loud laughing at the “sweat pattern” comment. I’m glad you enjoyed Bikram! I’ve never done it, but it sounds perfect on a winter day like today. Congrats on committing to 7 classes! I’m excited to read about your progress.

I love ketchup all over everything in massive quantities!

Have a great Friday and weekend, Heather!

thelongweigh January 15, 2009 at 11:36 pm

I have a client that loves Bikram. I have always been curious about it since she swears it has changed her life, so maybe once I get better at yoga in general I will have to try it! And I love the poster you took your picture with.. I need to write thhat list down!

sarahannmatheny January 16, 2009 at 12:08 am

Cracking up at your post! I wrote mine tonight before I read yours, and I linked your site. You’ll see why its so funny when you read it. I’ll give you a hint: almond butter and ketchup.

The Yoga gods lured you in and now you are trapped into multiple hot yoga classes…woohahahaha (that’s an evil laugh, if you can imagine it).

Have a good night my friend!

FollowMyWeigh January 16, 2009 at 12:13 am

wow you must have felt AWESOMMME after sweating that much :) you sure look it!!

does annie’s taste different from Heinz?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 16, 2009 at 7:57 am

Follow My Weigh, I love that Annie’s is organic and contains no high fructose corn syrup. It taste a little different, but not that much. Maybe I’m just used to it? You can find it at Whole Foods or in the organic section of most grocery stores it – I love it so.

Happy Herbivore January 16, 2009 at 6:48 am

I love that ketchup!! & I’ve always wanted to take hot yoga.. I need to find a studio around here and try it. Thanks for the inspiration — your photo alone sells me — you look happy and like you had a GREAT workout.

Happy Herbivore January 16, 2009 at 6:49 am

@followmyweight, yes – it DOES taste different… I think its better, but it might take a bit to adjust to a new flavor.

gina (fitnessista) January 16, 2009 at 7:19 am

i’m pretty sure that a class like that would never make it here in v-town :( which bums me out because from what it looks like (SUPER sweaty, which i love!), i think i’d be a huge fan. can’t wait to hear more about your 7 days of yoga :D
mmm butternut squash fries!!! that’s the ketchup i use too :D it’s perfect
hope you have a very happy friday!

Beadie January 16, 2009 at 7:19 am

I have only taken a few hot yoga classes but have been thinking of taking some this winter. It never made me feel more hungry than ususal but it did make me very thirsty. Good luck with your hot yoga week!

Beadie January 16, 2009 at 7:20 am

VeggieGirl January 16, 2009 at 7:59 am

Hot yoga + hot eats = love it :-)

Melissa January 16, 2009 at 9:05 am

Longtime lurker here :)

That class sounds WONDERFUL! I’m not a sweater at all so I never feel like I’m getting that great of a workout. I think this would be right up my alley! Granted, I’ve never done yoga before but after all the talk lately about it, I really want to try it!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 16, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Hi Melissa. Thanks for lurking. :) Oh, I think you should try hot yoga! I went again today, but it was another power yoga class. I’m going to my first Bikram class tomorrow. So, we’ll see. It sounds totally different from my usual yoga practice. No Downward Dogs…I love a good Down Dog. Let me know if you try it!

Cherie January 16, 2009 at 9:18 am

Hot Yoga for 7 days is a great workout. I don’t think you’ll miss the cardio for a week at all. I was just thinking this morning that I would like to sign up for the class, too. I need to do some stretching! And, yes, your sweat pattern is hilarious. :-)

Critty January 16, 2009 at 10:00 am

I’m so happy you tried Hot Yoga! I was totally amazed at the amount of sweating I did when I tried it for a month (not all in a row of course)…I did feel cleansed afterward, like I got rid of all the toxins in my body which made me feel great! I felt like I should have lost about 10 lbs after one class (wishful thinking)

Be careful though b/c there was a girl that got sick before I went into my first class – not something you wanna see before you try something new but I think she was dehydrated and had eaten something too soon before the class.

I signed up and get emails from Hot Yoga. They have special classes and deals at various times so check it out if you still like it after a week.

Hope your week o classes goes well. GOOD LUCK!

biz319 January 16, 2009 at 10:36 am

I did yoga for the first time last week – only a 30 minute routine on FitTV, and didn’t realize how sore I was going to be! I think I am going to invest in some DVDs since its so damn cold out!

It would be nice to do it in 105 degree weather though!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 16, 2009 at 2:06 pm

biz319, I know! Isn’t it amazing how sore you can get? I really think yoga works muscles that we don’t normally hit with weight training – at least for me. I think yoga DVD’s are great investment – much cheaper than a studio memebership! It is way too cold out there!

Rebecca January 16, 2009 at 10:49 am

You know, I always wanted to try Bikram. The local hot yoga place only had times available that interfered with work – then I got pregnant. Now that I am slowly attempting to get into shape again (and not working) I may have to try it. Just curious – does it smell stinky in there or do you get used to it?

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 16, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Hey Rebecca, I always wondered the same thing as well. They space the classes out pretty well, and I’m guessing that allows time for the room to air out. It’s never smelled when I walked in, but then again both classes I have taken have been the first ones offered for the day. I’m sure it stinks by the time we’re done, but while you’re in there working up a sweat, you don’t notice. Try it and let me know what you think.

chriistina January 16, 2009 at 10:50 am

HOT YOGA! now wouldn’t that feel great in the winter…
haha, great sweat stains, too by the way!

Missy (Missy Maintains) January 16, 2009 at 11:30 am

Sounds like a great class! It always feels good to sweat like that! Your omelet and fries look yummy! I def. need to try out that ketchup now. Right now I use Heinz Organic but would love to give Annies a try!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 16, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Hi Missy,
The Heinz Organic is good to – no HFCS, right? It’s probably cheaper than Annie’s as well. :)

JillyB January 16, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Good for you! I was obsessed with Bikram for a few months last year…. After 7 days in a row, you’ll notice some changes, like harder muscles and glowing skin. I’ve read a few articles that estimate the average woman burns 800-900 calories in one session, so it’s no wonder you’re hungry! My instructor told us that Bikram himself insists that his workshop students eat lots of REAL food to keep their bodies up to the challenge.

Also…. I’m now hooked on Sunshine Burgers–thanks! I got Melissa to try them; we’ll see if Shutie will, too!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 16, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Hey Jill. Yeah, I read that you burn 800-900 calories a session which is wild. That seems like an awful lot. I wish my heart rate monitor told me my calorie burn because I’m so curious. Anyway, how come you’re not obsessed anymore? It seems so many people go through Bikram phases. So glad you are loving the Sunshine Burgers. You tell little Mrs. Kremer that she is missing out!

dailygoods January 16, 2009 at 12:45 pm

ah that sounds like such an amazing class! i’ve always wanted to try hot yoga, so hopefully sometime soon i will! I feel like I will definitely soak through all my clothes. Have an amazing time with yoga for 7 days in a row! amazing! let us know how you feel after :)

petitfoodie January 16, 2009 at 1:26 pm

That yoga workshop looks soo great! I wish we had one where I live!!

Sammie January 16, 2009 at 3:08 pm

Yay!!! Awesome that you tried Hot Yoga. I am a total addict and wish I could go to a class every day. I wore my HRM once to a 90 minute Power Hot Yoga class and burned 260 calories. I think the key is to replenish your fluid loss and you do sweat out vitamins and minerals. The instructor at my yoga studio suggested the Vita Coco or Smart Water.I tried the Vita Coco and I felt amazing after drinking it. I was not famished or dehydrated. Enjoy your week of yoga.

charlotte January 16, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Ooh – I have ALWAYS wanted to try hot yoga! And a whole week straight, even!! I love yoga. I’m very interested to see how this experiment goes for you:) PS> My sweat does that too. Lovely, isn’t it?

Amira January 16, 2009 at 4:00 pm

i’ve wanted to try bikram yoga for so long but always the one studio that has it is like an hours drive from where i live! Are you way more flexible due to the eat opening you up more??
Oh you are going to have the nicest, clearest skin after 7 days of sweating that much, you’ll be glowing!
Have fun girl
ox

Melissa S. January 16, 2009 at 4:50 pm

now that is a sweaty workout! wow!

glad you enjoyed it and have many more days coming!