Wear Your Love Like Heaven

by HEAB on January 16, 2009

9 degrees outside this morning…9 DEGREES!  I know that is warm compared to what some of you are experiencing in the Mid-West, but that is super cold for Nashville.  These veins are full of southern blood y’all – I can’t handle this!  What better way to warm up than some Hot Yoga?!

5 AM – Coffee with the pups.

Me & Einstein

Me & Einstein

Radley, as in "Boo".  Can you freakin stand the cuteness?

Radley, as in "Boo". Can you freakin stand the cuteness?

Sorry, but when I get a chance to show off the pooches…I will cause I love them so. :)

5:45 AM – I quickly journey from the freezing tundra of a parking garage into the sauna that awaits me. I enter the 105 degree yoga studio and lie down on my mat as Sarah McLachlan’s sweet voice sings to me.  The instructor enters the room and announces the first posture of the morning…Child’s Pose.  Happiness invades my soul, people – pure bliss!

Another fantastic & challenging yoga session today…but sadly, still no Bikram.  I again showed up for Power Yoga.  A suggestion for Hot Yoga Nashville – label your class schedule, please.  This class was an hour of solid movement.  Although we started with Child’s Pose, we quickly moved into Sun Salutations and did not slow down until Savasana.  I used to think I could never make it through 90 minutes of yoga, but after today’s 60 minute class, I think I prefer the longer sessions as we didn’t have time for some of my favorite poses today…namely Pigeon. :(  I made sure to drink a lot more water, but I still had quite the appetite!  Once again, I was hungry all day and had a few more snacky-snacks than usual.  But that’s okay, because I’m listening to this body, and it said, “More food…yeah, eat that Larabar…Peanut butter flava please!”  So I did, and it was good. :)

For tomorrow’s yoga adventure, I made sure that I would be attending a Bikram class.  I love a good Power Yoga sweat, but I want to experience all that is Bikram…every single asana…all 26 of them!  Unfortunately, I hear there is no Down Dog.  Bummer as I love a good Down Dog!  Can’t wait to share my experiences with you.

I’ve heard from so many that have tried Bikram yoga, and I get the same response over and over…Oh yeah, love Hot Yoga.  I was totally addicted for a few months…Or…Hot Yoga is great.  I went last year and loved it.  Seems like no one sticks with it long term.  Why is that?  Will this simply be a phase for me as well?  I admit the extreme cold temperatures make it more inviting…I wonder if I’d be enjoying it as much if it were July and 95 degrees outside?  I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.  For now, I’m loving Hot Yoga!

In conclusion, I leave you with photos of my lunch because it brought a little sunshine to my day.  Hope it does the same for you. :)

Sunshine Salad - Spinach, steamed red onion, broccoli, & orange bell pepper, tempeh, and hummus

Hmm, still hungry…I thought about having some carrots and almond butter (kick a$$ snack if you’ve never tried it – get the big carrots, NOT baby)…but, that is not what I truly wanted.  Maybe something sweeter & warm…maybe a little chocolate?…but I want almond butter as well.  What to do…What to do?

Hot chocolate, whipped cream, & spoonful of almond butter.

Ahh, problem solved. Hot chocolate, whipped cream, & a spoonful of almond butter.

Never leave out the almond butter…NEVER!

PS – My post title is the name of a song from one of my favorite Sarah McLachlan albums, Solace, but I’m hoping you knew that already.   Happy weekend everybody!

carolinebee January 16, 2009 at 10:48 pm

NOOoo you did not put AB in your hot choc!!? Amazing!! CUUTE pic with boo too! haha, i whenever my friends say something I don’t like I always say, “BOOoo, Radley!!” For the most part they’re somewhat educated and get it. I can see that with the hot yoga, my deal with having a yoga “phase” is just not being in “control” of the workout. I.E: I never knew if it would be a crazy sweaty class, or just a calm, legs on the wall class :D I really want to get back into though i was so into it for a while! It was actually more my summer thing and now I’ve slacked. I’m excited to see your journey with it!

Marissa January 16, 2009 at 10:53 pm

AW puppy!

ttfn300 January 16, 2009 at 10:54 pm

OOh, way to kick up that hot cocoa!! must try. and, umm, can i have radley?? or dog sit, let me know ;-)

sarahannmatheny January 17, 2009 at 1:22 am

Child’s pose, Sarah, almond butter, cocoa??? Sounds like heaven to me!!

Hope your weekend is just as heavenly!

John O January 17, 2009 at 7:41 am

Was a balmy 60F here yesterday.

VeggieGirl January 17, 2009 at 7:46 am

Cuuuute dogs and loooooove the rats :-)

VeggieGirl January 17, 2009 at 7:48 am

**eats, not rats, haha. sorry!!

Charlie Hills January 17, 2009 at 8:21 am

VeggieGirl, the ‘rats’ typo really made me laugh.

Nine degrees? That’s cold. I don’t care if you’re in Barrow, Alaska or the Bahamas. Cold is cold!

And I love stirring my hot chocolate with a spoonful of peanut butter. Guess I’m not the only one who likes this concept!

Matt January 17, 2009 at 9:16 am

it was cold here yesterday too! what the hell? this is alabama!

at least you went from 9 degrees to 105 right!?

that hot chocolate looks yummy! homemade or from a packet?

Melissa S. January 17, 2009 at 9:19 am

omg nut butter in chocolate milk!!? woman you are a genius!! i seriously have to try that with my pb next time i get a chance…

and stay warm! 9 degrees is cold! i though my lofty 40′s in the everglades was bad!

marafaye January 17, 2009 at 9:44 am

OMG CUTE PUPPY!!!!!!!!!!

Beadie January 17, 2009 at 10:09 am

Cute doggie!!!

My favorite poses are pigeon, downward facing dog and warrior I and II. When I first heard of bikram, I was also dissapointed that there was no down dog. I hope you enjoy it none the less, I look forward to hearing about your experience.

Sarah January 17, 2009 at 12:20 pm

how have i never thought of mixing nut butter and hot chocolate??? what a brilliant idea!!! must get on this right away …

thelongweigh January 17, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Your puppies are so adorable! You can show them off all you want!

Good for you continuing the hot yoga, I hope you’re having a good weekend and enjoying Bikram!

eatingbender January 17, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Please. I would be lying out in a swimsuit if it was 9 degrees, ya hear me?! Pshhhhhh.

I loooove Boo Radley! One of my all-time favorite books. But I think your pup is even better :) The pictures are great!

Hot yoga sounds SOOOOO good right now. Even if I’m terrible at the poses, I’d just sit in that room!

Your sunshine salad is too cute, and I absolutely adore the fact that you put almond butter with the hot chocolate. Truly, you are a woman after my own heart. Nut butter goes with EVERYTHING.

Have a great weekend, Heather! By the way, if you’d like I can send you some of those Macadamia Nut Clif bars if they don’t show up near you within the next few weeks! Keep me updated! It’s the least I can do for the lady that turned me on to crunchy Barney Butter!

Christina January 17, 2009 at 6:20 pm

9 degrees in warm ol’ texas? i cannot imagine! but being from the midwest i pretty much would beg to be in whatever weather you have the rest of the year!

ps. your dogs are A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!

Stephenie January 17, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Adorable doggies! I need to get some yoga in, all this yoga talk!

redheadyellowdog January 17, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Hey I just found your blog and love it! you have some very cute dogs and that picture of hot chocolate just made me get up to make some for myself ;) Can’t wait to read more!

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2009 at 8:36 am

Hi redheadyellowdog. Thanks for reading! Hope you enjoyed your hot chocolate…with some nut butter, right? :)

Erica January 17, 2009 at 8:56 pm

I love the pups! Isn’t given them a hug the best??? I am doing 90 minutes of hot yoga tomorrow and I cannot wait! Yayyyyy! I can’t believe how cold it has been! 9 degrees??

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2009 at 8:34 am

Erica,
So excited…let me know what you think of the class. I’m really liking it so far, and I am sore! Great workout for sure.

Kristie January 17, 2009 at 11:29 pm

My friend mentioned trying out some hot yoga next week and I got so excited! I really hope it follows through and we go sometime soon because I’ve been wanting to try it for a while now. Most especially with the frigid temperatures we’re having. I’m always cold so I feel like I would completely love it.

I love the pups, they are so adorable!

And I love ending off a cold winter’s night with a nice big mug of hot chocolate. Next time I’ll remember the almond butter ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter January 18, 2009 at 8:33 am

Kristie, Oh, I hope you try Hot Yoga. I’m really enjoying it. It’s a great workout – I am sore! Let me know if you go and what you think.

FollowMyWeigh January 18, 2009 at 1:40 am

ok 9 degrees is still freaking cold! and knowing you get cold really easily, you mustve been suffering!!
wow AB in hot choco?? doesn’t sound like a bad idea at all~

Hangry Pants January 18, 2009 at 10:57 am

That dessert thing is crazy good lookin’!

So, the reason I did not stick w/ Bikram is because I would miss the vinyassa flow too too much. I loooove the dance like quality of flow. I would still like to go to Bikram every once in awhile, but I could not only do that and I haven’t found a studio that offers both styles because I think the philosophy and intention behind the two styles is pretty different.

Heather

Sammie January 19, 2009 at 8:28 am

Your babies are precious. I love your Marshmallow Fluff mug – brings back fond childhood memories, mmmmm Fluffernutter.

JillyB January 19, 2009 at 9:18 am

The reason I got away from Bikram is because I broke a toe last year and had to take six weeks off of excercise. I just haven’t psyched myself up enough to get back into it! It was a serious obsession/addiction that required a LOT of work-week scheduling and dedicated laundry washing, and since I got out of the loop, I’ve found it hard to get back in–I keep telling myself that I will do it soon, though. I love a good hatha or vinyasa class, but it’s not the same workout….

I agree that the teacher makes the class. Everyone has different preferences–I prefer a stern teacher with a good sense of humor who pushes me to my limits, but my boyfriend prefers reassuring teachers with soft, calming voices. It’s funny that when we take classes together–we always have a different experience!

bobbi January 19, 2009 at 3:06 pm

I love your blog so glad I found it!

Ulises November 23, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Aim for success, not perfection. Never give up your right to be wrong, because then you will lose the ability to learn new things and move forward with your life.