The Breakfast Experiment Continues

by HEAB on January 26, 2009

Evening.  Y’all, I am loving my journey into the world of breakfast foods!  Trying new dinners every night totally stressed me out, but my morning adventures in the kitchen have been so fun.  Maybe it’s because they’re quick and easy meals?  Maybe it’s because they’re aren’t a ton of leftovers to try and eat?  Maybe it’s just because I LOVE BREAKFAST and could eat it for every meal (shout out to Critty)?!?  So, here’s to variety in the morning!  Let the experiment continue…

Sunday’s breakfast:

Egg white and veggie omelet with Laughing Cow Light cheese & a pumpkin, apple butter, peanut butter grilled wrap

Check out that pumpkin oooze :)

Now that was one mighty-fine plate!  I prepared an egg white omelet with Laughing Cow Light cheese & veggies – notice the hunka-hunk of broccoli love?  Then I spread some pureed pumpkin, apple butter, and Naturally Nutty vanilla almond butter on a whole wheat tortilla and warmed it on the Foreman for a few minutes.  Complete and utter bliss! The stats: 376 calories, 14 grams of fat (30%), 44 grams of carbs (42%), 31 grams of protein (28%).  This has been my lowest calorie breakfast so far, but it was very filling.  I’m not sure if held me over to lunch as I met the girls for coffee at 10:30, and had a big cafe au lait.  Caffeine always curbs my appetite.  So, don’t know if it stuck or not, but it sure was delicious!

Monday’s breakfast a la Chocolate Covered Vegan.

Vegan Monday

Vegan Monday

I made Katie’s tofu scramble recipe but substituted tempeh.  For some reason, my stomach does not always like soy, but tempeh and miso never bother me.  Might it be the fermented cultures?  Anyone else experience this phenomenon?  Anyway, I love all of Katie’s eats.  She totally inspires my vegan wannabe way of life.  Go visit her blog…wait not yet!  Read the rest of my post first. :)

I then toasted two slices of Trader Joe’s sprouted wheat berry bread.  Each slice received some Smart Balance Light (It’s vegan. Who knew?) along with the last of my Trader Joe’s reduced sugar strawberry jam.  I have not had buttered toast in so very long.  This breakfast was like a ray of sunshine on the gloomiest of days.  OK, so a bit dramatic.  Let’s just say it was kick a$$ good!  The stats: 503 calories, 14 grams of fat (24%), 69 grams of carbs – HELLO bread (53%), and 33 grams of protein (23%).  Since I had back to back clients all morning and would have to eat a late lunch,  I snagged a rather disgusting rice protein bar sample from work at 11:30 to keep my stomach from growling during my next session.  Lovely breakfast, and it did the job of keeping my stomach occupied for about 4 hours.  If  any of you out there think vegans subsist on lettuce and tofu, you are mistaken.  I loved this dish!  Thanks Katie!  Oh, I did have one complaint…NO ALMOND BUTTER.  So, I just ate it straight-up at lunch…right from the jar baby!

What’s on tomorrow’s menu might you ask?  Well, you’ll just have to stay tuned…I’ll give you a little hint: CEREAL.  Maybe I should rename my blog: Heather Eats Carbs. :)

After 12 straight days of yoga my body is showing noticeable changes, and I look forward to each and every class.  Yesterday, I did Polly’s video plus a short routine that Maggie from Say Yes to Salad sent me for building arm strength.  I’m still having trouble with my Chaturanga push-ups.  I can go down slowly, no problem.  It’s the getting back up into plank that seems impossible!  Today, it was Power Yoga at Hot Yoga Nashville ($5 off their Sunrise Class – yay!)  My hamstring was really bothering me by the end of class.  Luckily, I had an afternoon massage scheduled (Thank you Rayna!), and I was told I probably have a slight strain.  I’m so bummed as I had an entire week of new yoga classes lined up to try at the Y. :(  Hopefully, I’ll rejoin the yogi world in a few days.  Tomorrow, I’m going to hit the stationary bike for a little cardio action and then replenish my glycogen stores with a lovely breakfast.  Won’t you join me?

chocolatecoveredvegan January 26, 2009 at 9:26 pm

YOU ARE SO SWEET!!!
And now I totally want to try tempeh scramble.

P.S. Good call on the almond butter; eating it straight-up is the best way because nothing interferes with the star ingredient :o ).

Happy Monday, Heather!

Maggie January 26, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Love carbs for breakfast ;) I totally understand how trying a bunch of new recipes all in a row is stressful – it’s so overwhelming!! When I first started menu planning I would do that and it was a nightmare. Now I try to do just 1-2 new recipes each week, and when I’m being lazy they’ll all be old recipes. Hooray for YOGA!

Stephenie January 26, 2009 at 9:39 pm

That is awesome that you are seeing results from 12 days of yoga! I am so inspired. I went surfing the other day and when I would sit on my board my hip felt so out of whack so I really am looking forward to some yoga. When you’re doing physical things you realize the importance of flexibility and strength!

ttfn300 January 26, 2009 at 9:44 pm

ooh, wanna make me breakfast tomorrow? :)

thelongweigh January 26, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Sorry about the hamstring! That’s great that you have seen changes so quickly though!

I am loving all of your creative and wonderful looking breakfasts!

courtneym415 January 26, 2009 at 10:38 pm

New to your blog and already love it!

Be patient with yourself in your yoga. It’s meant to help heal the body so don’t push yourself if you are hurtin’. Keep it up!!

HangryPants January 26, 2009 at 11:01 pm

I love breakfast, too! I love the pumpkin ooze. I am super jealous of all your yoga. Do you think you could send me the video Maggie sent you? I can just ask her if you prefer.

sarahannmatheny January 27, 2009 at 1:18 am

HEAB-bee-jee-bee, (don’t change it to Heather Eats Carbs or else my new nickname for you won’t work)

I love BREAKFAST too! I think a lot of it is mental, and I don’t feel bad about having a big fatty bowl of carbs, knowing that I’ll have all day to use ‘em up! Plus I always have something sweet with breakfast, as well as some almond butter and that’s never a bad thing.

I’m excited for your cereal bowl. You’ve inspired mine with the cottage cheese for shizzle.

Have a good Tuesday!

Gina January 27, 2009 at 4:32 am

Heather, I think that is pretty common, to be bother by soy, but okay with fermented soy. Good thing tempeh is delicious!! Although, I do love tofu..

Your breakfast wrap thing looks soooo yummy :)

Meghann January 27, 2009 at 6:27 am

I love your breakfast experiements! keep them coming, I’m getting lots of ideas.

VeggieGirl January 27, 2009 at 6:39 am

YUM YUM YUM!!! And you KNOW I have to say, “Hooray for yoga” :-D

Erin January 27, 2009 at 7:22 am

I love the idea of breakfast experimentation. Breakfast is my fave too. I could eat it for every meal. That scramble looks so amazing, I may have to try again. My past experiments have been less than stellar. I am jealous of all your fabulous yoga classes! Hope your leg heals up soon.

charlotte January 27, 2009 at 7:25 am

I’m the same way with soy products! Tofu gives me the worst gas, as does edamame. (not that that stops me from eating them, mind you although I do try and time it so I don’t lose any friends, lol!). But tempeh and miso are perfectly fine. I do think the fermenting is key. Thanks for the ideas! You just convinced me to have tempeh for breakfast:)

Dori January 27, 2009 at 7:53 am

Your pumpkin omelette wrap breakfast looks SO great! I made an omelette a couple weeks ago with cottage cheese and then put pumpkin butter on top and it tasted like dessert. Can’t wait to see more breakfast experiments from you!

foodsthatfit January 27, 2009 at 8:18 am

Those flavored almond butters look amazing!

Erin January 27, 2009 at 9:23 am

Also, on the soy yogurt, I do prefer regular yogurt I think. But I just loveeeee yogurt. It’s one of my favorite foods. I used to go through a huge tub every two days. Greek yogurt is incredible too! I go on many yogurt kicks!

Missy (Missy Maintains) January 27, 2009 at 9:40 am

Your omelet looks so good! Can’t wait to see more breakfasts from you!! I will now be trying pumpkin butter in a wrap after seeing this!

Critty January 27, 2009 at 9:56 am

Cheers for the shout out! Keep up with the breakfast goods cause you know it “rocks the cashba” in my world ;)

Dori January 27, 2009 at 10:01 am

By the way I am sitting at work eating my chunky BB with a spoon. It is addicting!

Andrea [bella eats] January 27, 2009 at 10:48 am

Oh, sorry about your strain! Take it easy…lucky you with a massage to help loosen things up!

I am SO JEALOUS of your 12 straight days of yoga!!! You’ve totally inspired me, I need to spread my yoga love to some other studios in town to increase my scheduling opportunities.

And, I’m loving your breakfast experimentation! I’ve been in a rut lately, a very enjoyable rut, but a rut all the same. Other than my custard oats experiment yesterday of course! :)

Grace January 27, 2009 at 10:50 am

i love breakfast! what a way to start the day :D

seeleelive January 27, 2009 at 11:42 am

thats so interesting that caffeine curbs ur appetite. i find coffee filling at first-but within 15 minutes im hungry if not HUNGRIER! my goodness. well this bfast looks so yummy-i miss omelets when i am not home.

heather—–i posted about the blogger’s exchange, check it out if you want to participate in some vday blogging exchange lovin’! i thought i’d tell you since you were the sweetest woman EVER to send me my first food package that i still have the note from but sadly the food is all gone :-( . hahaha love you-lets catch up soon Heather!!

dailygoods January 27, 2009 at 1:37 pm

that tofu scramble sounds good! i’ve never had tofu in my breakfast before, i will have to try that out soon! hope your hammie starts feeling better soon!

Victoria January 27, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Yum! I need to start experimenting with breakfast more. It is definitely my most boring meal.

Katie January 27, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Mmmmm…carbs. Both of those breakfasts look really good.

Kelly Turner January 27, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I pick Sunday! I want Sunday’s!

Kelly Turner

orangepop January 27, 2009 at 3:29 pm

I love your breakfast adventures!!! You need more AB! Maybe you can experiment & put AB on things unlikely to be the vessel on normal days? That could be fun! I need to get out of my dinner rut & experiment more. Thanks for your inspiration! Oh, and I’d love to join you for a workout!!! Love breakin’ a sweat!

Kristie January 27, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Mmm carbs. Carbs and breakfast are just meant to go together. I’m loving your breakfast adventures, and these last two don’t disappoint! That omelete makes me want to go eat some broccoli right about now. I like how you paired sweet and savoury in both breakfasts too. I always seem to want something sweet at breakfast and don’t quite feel satisfied if I go with something like an egg. Guess the contrasting flavour combo is the way to go!

Can’t wait to see what the cereal adventure brought about for this morning’s breakfast :)

Jennica January 27, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Thank you for the great breakfast ideas!

Melissa S. January 27, 2009 at 4:48 pm

omg those breakfasts are divine! i need you to come cook for me in the mornings! hehe!

Tyler (Raspberry Runner) January 27, 2009 at 6:47 pm

a pumpkin, apple butter, and almond butter tortilla for breakfast…brilliant idea! those are three of my favorite things! sounds like a dessert, but healthy :)

Erin January 27, 2009 at 7:23 pm

I’m right there with you!
The pumpkin/PB tortilla is a lifestyle!

Erica January 27, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Love the breakfast experiments! My breakfast is always the same lame thing ;) $5 hot yoga??? I=super jealous :) Have a great night

eatingbender January 27, 2009 at 10:37 pm

LOL it’s so funny that I wrote my post without having read yours and we said the exact same thing! Hurray for buttered toast with jam!