Breakfast Rut Again

by HEAB on February 3, 2009

As promised…my hemp protein smoothie:

Blueberry Banana Dirt

Blueberry Banana Dirt

This one was too thick to drink, and so I ate it from a bowl, just like ice-cream, right?  Yeah, I highly recommend this dish if your ice-cream flavor of choice is tutti-frutti MUD. :)  Lesson learned: no more hemp protein powder for me, although I am going to try using it in baked goods.  Hopefully, a good dose of sugar will mask the earthy taste.  I’ll keep you posted.

Now onto the breakfast goodies.  Y’all, I was doing so well trying new meals every morning…until I discovered Maggie’s oatmeal recipe.  It is so filling, and it’s all I want now.

Yesterday…

Strawberry Shortcake Oat Bran

Strawberry Shortcake Oat Bran

In the bowl: 3/4 cup oat bran cooked with 1.5 cups water and a pinch of salt on the stove-top.  I then stirred in 2 TBSP of flax seed and some vanilla.  For toppings, I used strawberries, chocolate soy milk, almond butter…and whipped cream.  Can you really eat shortcake without whipped cream?  I think not.  The stats: 427 calories, 23 grams of fat (46%), 60 grams of carbs (41%), and 20 grams of protein (12%).  This kept me going through back-to-back massage sessions all morning.  I didn’t eat lunch until after 1 PM and no growls from Mr. Stomach!  If you haven’t had the heart healthy portion of oats (3/4 cup dry), I encourage you to try.  Don’t fear that extra serving as it goes a long way in satiating hunger.

This morning’s breakfast was inspired by Abbi.

Apple Pie Oats

Apple Pie Oats

This bowl satisfied all of my morning dreams…truly an amazing addition to any breakfast menu!  Again, I cooked 3/4 cups oat bran with 1.5 cups water and a pinch of salt.  After it was done (oat bran cooks so fast on the stove-top!), I added some vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, 1/2 TBSP Smart Balance Light, and 1 small diced apple.  I then used my hand blender to creamify everything a la Chocolate Covered Vegan.  I topped it off with some Trader Joe’s crunchy raw almond butter and more pumpkin pie spice.  I finished the entire bowl, and my belly could not have been more grateful for all this sweet and buttery goodness.  The stats: 432 calories, 19 grams of fat (29%), 83 grams of carbs (53%), and 19 grams of protein (13%).  A bit heavy on the carbs, but definitely another winner in the taste and fullness department!

Will it be oats again tomorrow?  You’ll just have to stay tuned to find out. :)

A HUGE shout out to Gina, aka The Fitnessista for these goodies I found waiting in my mailbox:

Raw Macaroons & Banana Bread

Raw Macaroons & Banana Bread

Gina, everything is amazing and thank you for the sweet card as well.  I’ll have you know that in less than 12 hours, the bread is gone, and there are only 5 macaroons left.  Let’s just say Chris and I both did a little damage. :)

Yoga Update:  I’m taking this entire week off as my hamstring is still really tight due to a minor strain.  I think the problem actually originated in some of the muscle attachments around my knee.  No intense cardio this week either, as I think even my Tabata Intervals on the bike may have exacerbated the injury. :(  However, there will be plenty of flat surface walking and upper body strength training.  I’m hoping to be back on that yoga mat next week!

Maggie February 3, 2009 at 8:38 pm

i’m in a rut too – ever since i made oats last week i haven’t had anything else for breakfast. i think it’s been almost a week now?? enjoy your week of rest, and i’m sure you’ll be back on the mat in no time. happy tuesday!

Erica February 3, 2009 at 8:47 pm

hey pretty lady. I’m sorry your hamstring is being a jerk. But I am glad you are giving it some time off! Look at those yummy breakfasts! Yayyy for Gina. I need those macaroons ASAP!

Shelby February 3, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Fabulous oatmeal ideas! I might just try one out for tomorrow!

Melissa S. February 3, 2009 at 9:07 pm

dannnng! what a great package from Gina! JEALOUS!!!

and love the oats combo…i’ve never had oat bran but i was wondering what it tastes like…for some reason i’ve always associated it with tasting like pasty cardboard…hahaha!

gina (fitnessista) February 3, 2009 at 9:08 pm

hey!
the strawberry shortcake oats look AMAZING. i feel kinda ridiculous asking, but what exactly is oat bran? do you buy it like oatmeal? i wish i knew, but i live under a rock which is also known as valdosta :D
the hemp smoothie looks so beautiful! i totally agree about the hemp protein- it’s a little to “woodsy” for me :/ it’s a nice concept though. the pilot is afraid of it because he thinks it will make him fail a drug test. what a goof:D
i’m soooo glad you liked the package! thank you for the awesome shout out, too :D it’s great that you’re enjoying the goodies! those macaroons are seriously addicting
hope you have a wonderful night <3

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 3, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Hi Gina, thanks again for goods. We’re down to three macaroons. I had the last two…shhh, don’t tell Chris. :)

Oat bran is the edible, outermost layer of the oat kernel. I’m liking it more than rolled oats these days as it’s a bit creamier. We don’t have a microwave, and it only takes one minute to cook oat bran on the stove top. As far as I know, the nutrients are about the same. I’d be surprised if you can’t find it in Valdosta. Even our little corner market carries it in the hot cereal section. If you can’t find any, let me know…I’ll send ya some!

The Pilot’s fear of hemp protein powder makes me laugh!

polly February 3, 2009 at 9:11 pm

I can’t wait to show Abbi this post tomorrow when she wakes up! She is famous for her apple pie oatmeal!! Momma is proud!! XOXO

Hope your hammie is better soon. XOXO Take care, sweetie.

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 3, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Hope you feel better.

Blueberry Banana Dirt…MMMm not so much. I can’t handle the hemp protein either.

I’m lovin the strawberry shortcake oats. YUM. Nut butters and strawberries go surprisingly well together. LOVE it.

Matt February 3, 2009 at 9:30 pm

I eat the same thing for breakfast 5 days a week with pancakes and waffles on the weekend. That’s a breakfast rut!

chocolatecoveredvegan February 3, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Strawberry shortcake oatmeal?! Oh wow, that sounds amazing! As soon as I buy another can of Soyatoo, I will be all over this recipe! (I pulled out my last can, the other day, and it was moldy… ewww!)

And aren’t hand blenders the most amazing things??? Oh, and sbl too– I put that stuff on/in EVERY grain: oatmeal, oat bran, barley, English Muffins (ohmigosh, spread it on an English Muffin, then heat it in the microwave– it’s sooooo good!). Ok, sorry, I’m rambling now!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 3, 2009 at 9:34 pm

You must have been a very good girl to get such an awesome package from Gina! Sounds like it is being put to good use. How about just eating the macaroons for breakfast? That would technically be outside the rut, no? ;)

Molly February 3, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Haha, it seems everyone in the blog world is using the bigger portion of oats. I should try it!

thelongweigh February 4, 2009 at 12:36 am

The smoothie LOOKS so good but I will steer clear of the taste of it. The oatbran looks delicious though..maybe I will have to try that out.

Lucky woman getting those macaroons! They are highly coveted!

sarahannmatheny February 4, 2009 at 12:59 am

Ice cream? Shortcake? Apple Pie? I’m thinking your sweet tooth is a lot like mine!

I admire your ability to lay off the yoga/intense cardio while your body heals! Atta girl!

Megan February 4, 2009 at 2:15 am

mmm those gifts from the fitnessista look GREAT! i dont know how much longer I’ll be able to go seeing those macaroons in posts without making some myself :)

looooove all your oat combos! I’m always looking for new ways to spice up my breakfast, so i see these in my near future :P

as for the strawberry almond butter, I can’t for sure remember the brand name (I THINK it’s Futters) but I posted a link in my post tonight. can’t WAIT to try it!

Gina February 4, 2009 at 4:27 am

Oooh, so many oats!! I’m glad they are keeping you full. I love breakfast, but I always get in a rut too…because I always find something I love SO MUCH!!

I’m with you on hemp protein…healthy, but the taste isn’t worth it.

What an awesome gift!! Raw macaroons sound yum!

MizFit February 4, 2009 at 5:42 am

(I love my breakfast ruts :) )

and the hamstring? those strains are KILLER.

I know you know this but Im gonna yammer it again: BABY IT.

My husband had one, started back hardcore too soon, and is sidelined REPEATEDLY BY IT NOW!

VeggieGirl February 4, 2009 at 6:26 am

I’ll accept any leftover hemp protein powder!! I’m always having to restock :-D

Beadie February 4, 2009 at 6:42 am

Neh, I don’t think oats are a breakfast rut, they are so versatile!

Good luck getting back on the mat soon!

ttfn300 February 4, 2009 at 7:57 am

umm, i want your breakfasts. if, you know, you don’t like being in a rut ;-) ooh, careful with the hammy!

Happy Herbivore February 4, 2009 at 8:18 am

I’m im a rut too, though I’m not sure its a bad thing. Smoothie or oatmeal for breakfast are my options! I love starting my day with fruit…

healthy ashley February 4, 2009 at 8:41 am

Your dirt looks pretty good! And great idea on the Strawberry Shortcake! I must try that :)

Missy (Missy Maintains) February 4, 2009 at 8:47 am

I need to make that strawberry shortcake oatmeal!! Whipped cream in oats is genius!

Hope the hamstrings feel better! I know that feeling!

HangryPants February 4, 2009 at 8:50 am

I kind of liked the hemp protein powder when I had it.

It’s not a breakfast rut, it’s breakfast appreciation. It looks so delicious, how could you want anything else.

Good luck repairing that injured hamstring.

marafaye February 4, 2009 at 8:56 am

I’m a huge fan of oat bran… it makes such a good vehicle for cereal toppings!

Liz February 4, 2009 at 10:33 am

Thank you so much for putting calories! I love that feature of this blog. I like to get a feel for how many calories are in these various combos of oats, for when I’m ready to start trying my own combos.

foodsthatfit February 4, 2009 at 11:25 am

I love the idea of apple pie oats, Yummy! Hope your hamstring gets better soon!

justine February 4, 2009 at 11:42 am

Yummm. Those oats look amazing! I have yet to try oat bran. Is it more expensive than regular oats? what brand do you use? Ill have to get some when I run out of my steel oats I just picked up at Trader Joes. Hope that hammie gets better quickly! :)

~Justine

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 4, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Hi Justine, Oat bran and oatmeal are about the same in price. I’m not that picky when it comes to brands. I’m currently working my way through a container of Old Wessex Ltd: http://www.oldwessex.com/productlist.aspx?catid=Hot+Cereal. So creamy and good. I saw a bag of Trader Joe’s toasted oat bran, and I’d like to try that next. Enjoy your steel cuts. Thanks for the hamstring shout-out. :)

Erin February 4, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Yay for heart healthy oats! I can’t believe I never thought of eating more to stay full longer, lol. I regret whenever I don’t make those oats! At least you are making different varieties.
I hope your hamstring heals soon, but you have an awesome attitude about it!

seeleelive February 4, 2009 at 12:39 pm

Hey heather, this don’t look like no rut to me. I am interested in trying out new breakfast options to. This morning’s combo was delicious. I always stress out about how much protein i’m adding to bfast..but i have begun using bob’s thick cut oats instead of quaker which are chewier (and therefore more delicious) so i think it is an equivalent to a heart healthy serving :-)

JillyB February 4, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Hi, Heather! I noticed you used oat bran instead of oatmeal. Do you notice a difference (satiety-wise) between the two? I hope that hammie starts feeling better soon!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 4, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Hey JillyB, I haven’t noticed much of a difference in satiety. I’m just liking the texture of oat bran more these days. Thanks for the hammie well wishes. :)

Sharon February 4, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Oh my gosh, such delightful eats! Love it!

Kelly Turner February 4, 2009 at 3:37 pm

i got my fill of eating dirt when i was little, thank you very much.

Kelly Turner

Andrea [bella eats] February 4, 2009 at 4:29 pm

I love your dessert inspired oats, they sound so tasty. I haven’t tried the heart healthy portion yet but I think I will tomorrow…I love the idea of my oats holding me over for 4-5 full hours!

I’m so sorry about your injury! Its good that you recognize the issues and are adjusting your workouts accordingly. I’m inspired by your usual multiple days of yoga/week and am trying to increase my visits to the studio. I’m actually trying a new one tonight! Hope you’re good as new as soon as possible!

eatingbender February 5, 2009 at 10:24 pm

I just caught up on your vegan day – so cool that you did that. I really need to try it sometime because I think I have it ingrained in me that it would just be impossible for me.

I received a package from the lovely Gina, as well! I’m buy myself, so it hasn’t gone quite as quickly, but I can tell you that the bread will be gone within 3 days and the macaroons are going to follow shortly thereafter :) SOOO good.

{ 1 trackback }