HE Told Me To

by HEAB on February 4, 2009

This morning I got up and did 48 minutes of easy steady-state pedaling on the stationary bike…BORING.  Afterwards, I did this short yoga routine that Maggie sent me:

–breath in, arms up
–breath out, fold forward
–breathe in, walk out to plank
–pushups, on your knees or regular
–then back to plank
–walk back to a forward fold
–back to standing

I did this series five times in a row but kept my legs bent during forward fold so as not to irritate the hamstring.  This short but efficient routine really works those arms. Love it!  Thanks Maggie.

This morning’s cardio allowed for a little reading.  During my usual speed intervals,  I constantly have to watch the clock, but this morning I was able to focus on more important things.  Book #1: Edward got down on one knee and proposed to Bella.  So sweet.  Book #2: I read a bit of I Corinthians.  You’ll never believe what Chapter 1, verse 22 said…Thou shall have another heart healthy serving of oat bran this morning. Can I get an Amen?  OK, so only in the Heather Eats Almond Butter version of the Bible does it say this, but who am I to disobey divine authority? :)

Blueberry cobbler in a bowl

Bowl O' Blueberry Cobbler

Another Abbi inspired bowl of pure unadulterated breakfast appreciation (right, Hangry Pants?) :)  For this bowl, I brewed some blueberry tea using my FAVORITE herbal tea:

I've tried them all, and I always come back to Celestial Seasonings Blueberry

I've tried them all, and I always come back to Celestial Seasonings Blueberry

I brought 1.5 cups water to a boil and then added 3 tea bags allowing them to steep for about 5 minutes.  I removed the bags and added 3/4 cup oat bran and a pinch of salt.  After it all came to a boil, I reduced the heat and cooked the oats for one minute more.  I then stirred in 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, and 1/2 TBSP Smart Balance Light.  I sweetened the mix with 1 oz chocolate soy milk and topped it all off with a spoonful of Trader Joe’s crunchy raw almond butter.  Another buttery bowl of fruity happiness…no blueberry dirt today!

Unfortunately, this bowl did not satiate my hunger like my past few bowls of oat bran have.  Let’s take a look at the stats: 408 calories, 20 grams of fat (32%), 74 grams of carbs (54%), and 19 grams of protein (14%).  Again, a little carb heavy.  I think I’ll go back to adding more fat and fewer carbs to the mix tomorrow.  We shall see.

I ran in Whole Foods for my some of my hubby’s favorite ketchup (Westbrae Fruit sweetened) and a job application (more about that later). I had some time to spare and took a little trip down the dairy aisle…just like old times.  You’ll never guess what I found…

OK, so the Luna Cookie wasn't found in the dairy aisle, but this was an excellent combo!

Fage...I love you.

We had some work being done our house, and I didn’t want to go home right away.  Since my belly was rumbling, I decided on a little snacky snack.  I purchased a Chocolate Mint Luna cookie to add to my yogurt tub and sat down to one of the best snacks ever!  I believe it was Jenn who ate a a chocolate mint brownie with her Greek yogurt that inspired this one.  I highly recommend the combo – so sweet AND refreshing.  (Hungry Yogini, notice the 2%:)).

So, my massage business has taken a serious tumble since 2009 began.  When Chris and I decided to move to Colorado, I stopped seeking out new clients when many of my current ones quit coming due to the downturn in the economy. I think I just checked out energetically, thinking we would get an offer on our house right away.  Well, we haven’t.  We haven’t even had a showing since the first week of January.  Therefore, I’m looking into a part-time job.  I’ve already applied at my gym.  I worked there once before and really enjoyed it.  Plus, you get a free membership – bonus!  I inquired at my two favorite yoga studios hoping they might need some desk help.  Sadly, they didn’t. :( When in Whole Foods today, I asked if they’re currently hiring. In Nashville, the Whole Foods sells all of its supplements and beauty products in a separate store next door called Whole Body. I love going in there for my Dr. Bronners peppermint soap and other natural products.  All the candles and essential oils smell so good!  Totally my kind of place, and I figured I would enjoy working there.  I was told to fill out an application online.  So, adieu to you.  I’m off to visit www.wholefoods.com & watch a little Lost.  Too bad I can’t get paid to blog all day.  Anyone else feel this way? :) Please send good part-time job vibes my way…or even better, a potential home buyer!

VeggieGirl February 4, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Hang in there with the job!! Definitely keeping you in my thoughts, Heather!!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 4, 2009 at 8:25 pm

I love the tea in the oatmeal – I think I read of that idea somewhere else too, and it really is so much more fun than just water. I’m going to have to try that trick.

I also made a stir fry with the Creole sauce you did a few weeks back! SO good, oh man. Plus I think the leftovers will be even better. :)

Best of luck on the job front! I feel your pain in the economy department – business is CRAP at my company. :(

Erica February 4, 2009 at 8:27 pm

Hey Heather! Hope your hammie is feeling better tonight! Glad you got a workout in that didn’t irritate it! Looks like you had some great eats today! I want to try that Luna cookie. ughhhh the house stuff is frustrating. I am sending lots of good vibes your way!

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 4, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Thanks for the shout out girl! You know I am ALL about the 2%. No fat FREE will pass these lips!

How interesting to make oats with tea! I have heard of that but haven’t had the guts to try it yet. YUM-o!

Maggie February 4, 2009 at 8:30 pm

I’m so glad you liked it! It definitely works the arms.

And hey, if the Bible is telling you to eat more oats – you better do it! I haven’t had anything different, STILL. Maybe tomorrow… or not.

Good luck with the job search – I’m looking around too. As a math/econ major who was previously a software engineer, I have no experience in anything I actually like. I wanted to work at a chiropractic office – no go. I applied to a pottery studio to be an assistant – nope. I have been trying to apply to Trader Joe’s all week but they have been out of apps (they said come back tomorrow though). And I don’t think WF is hiring, but I’ll check it out.

Have a good night :)

Shelby February 4, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Hang in there Heather!!!

Love the oat combo, blueberry tea oats are my favorites =)

Matt February 4, 2009 at 8:32 pm

How about coming to give me a massage? I’m hiring!

chocolatecoveredvegan February 4, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Haha Heather, we can be Smart-Balance-Light Twins! Just be sure to keep me updated on all the yummy uses you find for it :)

That’s my fave ketchup too; your hubby’s one smart (mint Luna)cookie!

Evey February 4, 2009 at 8:59 pm

Luna cookie!! Don’t you just love that they give you TWO in each packet? The more the merrier, ;-)

Hope your job situation gets better, hang in there.

Tyler (Raspberry Runner) February 4, 2009 at 9:09 pm

i like the heather eats almond butter version of the bible :)

Amanda February 4, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Best of luck with that job search! Every time I am in WF I think how awesome it would be to work there :)

orangepop February 4, 2009 at 9:27 pm

3 TEA BAGS for your oats?! WoW, that must be verrrry blueberry-y! Delightful! It seems like, even with your heart-healthy serving of oats, you’ve added more protein/fat before… maybe some extra nuts and/or an egg?! Or milk to be “berries & cream” (like that funny Starburst commercial! hahaha!)
GREAT LUCK on the job hunt & house-selling!!! You’d be a star employer!

Melissa S. February 4, 2009 at 10:13 pm

i hope the job stuff turns out well!!!

and i hear ya on the bars in fage…i did it once w/ a zbar and it was soooo good.

Hangry Pants February 4, 2009 at 10:51 pm

You go on appreciating that awesome breakfast! I will send you some good luck part time job vibes. It’s really hard these days, but keep looking!

thelongweigh February 4, 2009 at 11:36 pm

I have seen that Luna cookie around and I MUST try it! And I am loving the Bible of Heather!

I am so with you on the part-time job hunt. I’ve been checking craigslist everyday and will just keep taking applications around. I suppose that’s the one thing that sucks about having a job (that I love) that you only make money from people coming in! Good luck!

carolinebee February 5, 2009 at 12:00 am

Hm..what version is that, King James?? I’ll have to check mine for that verse…..GOOD LUCK with that job- if I lived in nashville you would be mah main masseuse!!!

Stephenie February 5, 2009 at 12:27 am

I bought me some chocolate soy milk and restocked the natural PB and I’m makin’ the brick-in-the-belly-oats tomorrow! Will let you know what I think =) I would share my part time vibes, but I worry too much stress would tag along with them, lol. But you have inspired me! We have a 24hour we go to and I wonder if they have any needs, maybe evening/nights so I can chill out and draw or something? Yoga studios is an awesome idea too! My brain is turning…

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 5, 2009 at 8:40 am

Stephenie,
Let me know how you like the brick-in-the-belly, and keep me posted on any part-time job news. I really want to see more drawings!

sarahannmatheny February 5, 2009 at 1:43 am

HEAB, I’d pay you to be my friend if I could afford it!

We could write a cookbook together full of recipes that sound like this, “Add ketchup.” “Top with hummus.” “Add a spoonful of almond butter.”

I’m reading 1st Corinthians too. Go check 1 Corin 2:9. He’s got something awesome planned for you (and me too)!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 5, 2009 at 8:39 am

Thank you sweet Sarah!

Erin February 5, 2009 at 5:31 am

What an awesome job that would be! Are you serious? My dream!
Your breakfast looksgreat – sorry for the lack of staying power!
I’m a Dr. Bronner’s freak! Let’s take a shower together and get all sudsy!
Sorry, I’m naturally inappropriate – I was born this way!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 5, 2009 at 8:38 am

Erin, I love your inappropriate ways. :)

MizFit February 5, 2009 at 6:08 am

thanks heather/maggie!

Im gonna do that NOW and THEN grab the Toddler!

Erin February 5, 2009 at 7:05 am

Good luck with everything! Also, I LOVE Dr. Bronner’s too! The peppermint is the best, and def makes for great reading material. Your snack combo is to die for. Seriously. Incredible sounding.

Foods That Fit February 5, 2009 at 7:51 am

Heather-
You seriously have the best breakfast eats! I saw the blueberry C.S. tea at the store the other day and thought of you. I wouldn’t let myself by it though b/c I already have 20+ boxes to use up! I really hope things get worked out with a job!

marafaye February 5, 2009 at 8:04 am

The job market stinks for everyone right now…good luck!

Dori February 5, 2009 at 8:23 am

Good luck on finding a job – can’t wait to hear what you end up getting! The Luna cookie looks great – I love everything with chocolate and mint. I just mixed a Samoa girl scout cookie (they are sitting out here, yesterday was thin mints!) into my yogurt by the way and it was so delicious!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 5, 2009 at 8:36 am

Dori, Thin Mints and Samoas are my favorites! We ordered 3 boxes of each this year, but they have not arrived. I’ve had them in ice-cream but never in yogurt. That could possibly be the best snack of 2009!

Beadie February 5, 2009 at 8:41 am

Good luck with the search.

gina (fitnessista) February 5, 2009 at 9:42 am

i’m sending you all the good vibes in the world!
that bowl of blueberry cobbler looks amazing! thanks for the info on oat bran– i need to see if the commsicary has some
i had the same luna teacake yesterday- it was delicious
hope you have a wonderful day <3

Marians eats. The Italian way February 5, 2009 at 10:05 am

I just found your blog and I’m loving it! I really love all that you have to say! Truly inspiring! Take Care!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 5, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Marians Eats, Glad you found me. Thanks for your kind words.

Kelly Turner February 5, 2009 at 10:38 am

oh man, the chocolate mint luna is my favorite- so good. reminds me of thin mints.

Kelly Turner

leadingladylis February 5, 2009 at 11:20 am

You are a GENIUS with the tea in the oatmeal! What a great way to add flavor and sweetness.

I love the Celestial Seasonings fruit flavored teas. I’ve never tried the blueberry, but I love the black cherry berry- I usually steep 1 of those with 1 green tea bag in two cups of hot water and it’s soooooo good and sweet and satisfying!

I’ll have to try out tea in my oatmeal!

Love,
Lis

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 5, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Hey Lis,
I love the black cherry berry tea – at least I think that’s the one I had from the Celestial Seasonings berry sampler. It was my favorite out of the whole box! What a good idea to steep with a green tea bag. I’ll have to remember that. Let me know if you try the tea oats. Enjoy!

charlotte February 5, 2009 at 1:45 pm

I get so many great ideas from you!! It never occurred to me to cook my oats in herbal tea! I even have that blueberry kind! And good luck with the job/house selling/other massive life changes – that must be so stressful!

luckytastebuds February 5, 2009 at 3:02 pm

I totally agree with you on the “some people were made to run” but others weren’t. Me included. :) I love your breakfasts because they always look so wholesome and inviting.

Really hope your business returns to it’s prior glory. This economy is just…too difficult. :(

Amanda February 5, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Ooh your little yoga workout sounds exactly like the beginning of the Biggest Loser 30 Day Shred DVD. They call them “walking pushups” where you touch your toes, walk out to plank, do a pushup and walk back. If you’re looking for an effective, SHORT (20 mins!!) workout DVD, check this one out! I got it for xmas and have done it about 4x a week since, and can definitely tell a difference in my muscles!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 5, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Amanda, I’ve got to look in that DVD. Sounds like my kind of workout. Thanks for the tip!

kaneil February 5, 2009 at 5:04 pm

I’m sorry to hear about your massage business, but the Whole Foods in Green Hills is great! My boyfriend helped open that store and worked there until this past October when he quit to move to Colorado with me! What a small world. Good luck with everything. Whole Body seems like a cool place to work – the smells alone are incredible. :)

Take care!
Kaneil, balanceisbest.wordpress.com

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 5, 2009 at 5:47 pm

Hi Kaneil,
Unfortunately, Whole Body is not hiring, and I’m pretty bummed about it. :( Did your boyfriend find a cool job out in Colorado? I can’t wait to get there. Are you loving living out West?

eatingbender February 5, 2009 at 10:27 pm

Heck yes for mint in your yogurt! I’m glad you liked the combo :)

I’m sorry to hear about the job situation, but girl, you CAN get paid for blogging. It’s not a “salary” by any means, but Foodbuzz ads are a pretty good deal considering you pay nothing and they pay you based on your hits! Shoot me an email if you’re interested in finding out more!

Happy Herbivore February 7, 2009 at 8:27 am

I love that blueberry tea~!

{ 2 trackbacks }