Plethora of Puddin

by HEAB on February 15, 2009

I have done no form of exercise for 48 hours…I don’t like it. :(  My hamstring actually feels a lot better, but I’m still staying away from anything but upper body strength training and walking/pool jogging until the end of this month…I think I am going to go crazy.

Instead of gym and yoga studio time, I filled my weekend with Chocolate Covered Vegan inspired blended grain pudding bowls…

Chocolate Protein Oat Bran with Almond Butter

Chocolate Protein Blended Oat Bran with Almond Butter

Peach Yogurt Blended Barley with Peanut Butter

Peach Soy Yogurt Blended Barley with Peanut Butter

Vanilla Protein Blended Wheat Berries with Peanut Butter

Vanilla Protein Blended Wheat Berries with Peanut Butter

Chocolate Hemp Blended Rolled Oats with Almond Butter

Chocolate Hemp Blended Rolled Oats with Almond Butter

I think I have just about perfected the recipe, and I’m loving it…obviously.  If y’all have random bags of grains like we do in our cabinets, I highly recommend trying one of Katie’s bowls…the girl is a genius!

After carbo-loading at every meal and doing no exercise whatsoever all weekend, I decided on a high protein breakfast this morning…well, high for me anyway…

Breakfast Quesadilla

Breakfast Quesadilla

I broiled 2 whole wheat tortillas with vegan cheddar cheese, an egg white scramble, & 2 Morninstar sausage patties.  This seemed like so much food at 7:30 AM, but it was no higher in calories than normal.  The stats: 483 calories, 20 grams of fat (31%), 49 grams of carbs (33%), and 52 grams of protein (35%).  Delicious, dairy free, and I felt completely stuffed…but alas, no almond butter. :(

And then for my high protein snack in honor of Miss Gliding Calm

Tempeh with Peanut Butter

Tempeh with Peanut Butter

Hey, don’t knock it until you try it…surprisingly good and much cheaper than a protein bar!

Then there was a little baking…

Chocolate Peppermint Cloud Cookies

Chocolate Peppermint Cloud Cookies

These are going to one lucky bidder from Meghann’s bake sale.  Chris was quite disappointed to see me pack these up as they’re one of his favorite cookies…No worries.  I saved a little batter for my lovah. :)

Thanks to everyone for all of your encouraging comments regarding my job interview…I ended up cancelling my 2nd interview after I received some good news on Saturday morning.  Ever since I finished massage therapy school, I have worked for an alternative medical doctor, and I LOVE working there.  The good Doc pulled me aside Saturday morning and asked if I could help out more around the office. This totally caught me off guard as he had just cut back on opening hours. However, turns out he needs me to fill in here & there. Y’all, this could have not have come at a more perfect time as I would much rather work for my current employer than anyone else! Plus, I’m getting more and more massage therapy clients booked.  So, things are good…so good. Thanks again for all the support – love you guys!

P.S. NOW GO COOK UP SOME GRAINS & TRY A PUDDING BOWL!!!!

VeggieGirl February 15, 2009 at 8:30 pm

So. much. holy. yum. deliciousness. whoa.

Erica February 15, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Hey! I hope that your hamstring is back to normal in no time! Glad you’re giving it a break (even though I know how frustrated you must be)! Yummy eats! I need to try making one of these yummy puddin bowls! GREAT job news!!!!! So thrilled for you. Have a good night ;)

Julz February 15, 2009 at 8:31 pm

So do you have any idea how amazing you are? Because your words have honestly provided such comfort and warmth this past week. I am so thankful to have you, Heather! Thank you for being here for me, you’re absolutely divine. I love you!

Anna February 15, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Those chocolate cookies look like heaven. I experimented with chocolate and peppermint candy cookies during Christmas time, and they always ended up spreading waaaaay too much- kept coming out wafer-thin! it was very strange.

The raw tempeh plus PB combo is hilarious- I won’t knock it till I’ve tried it, though!

So glad that the job situation worked out well for you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2009 at 6:14 am

Anna, I’ve had many a paper thin cookie disaster. Mine have done this before if I microwave my butter to a liquid INSTEAD of letting it soften by itself. I’ve also found that if you refrigerate the cookie dough for several hours or overnight prior to baking, the batter does not spread as much in the oven. You can even roll the cookie dough into balls, flatten them a bit, and then freeze. Place the frozen cookie dough right in the oven. You may have to cook them a bit longer, but they’ll really hold their shape. Hope this helps. Have a good week.

Evey February 15, 2009 at 8:32 pm

Cookie!!

Your blended grains bowls look so good, Heather.. I’ve been meaning to try CCV’s genius creation, but I always forget to do so.
Thanks for the reminder.

Nut butters!

Gina February 15, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Pudding bowls, huh? I’ll have to give it a try one of these weekends :) I’m glad the job situation worked out!

I’m also glad the hammy is feeling better. Being forced to not work out can be so frustrating, but its better than doing some permanent damage, right?

Matt February 15, 2009 at 8:47 pm

Those bowls look awesome! I bought some Quaker oat bran and multigrain cereal to to try out. Have you ever tried the multigrain? I LOVE Old Wessex 5 grain so I hope it’s like that!

Nice on the job!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2009 at 6:10 am

Matt, my fellow lover of oatmeal! I am so excited you are going to try oat bran as I love the texture and find it so freaking filling. I’ve always heard good things about Wessex 5 Grain. Let me know how you like the oat bran and if you prefer the Quaker 5 Grain over Wessex. I’ve never had that one but need to try it as I’m loving my hot cereals these days.

carolinebee February 15, 2009 at 9:03 pm

Heather! Good work resting and you’ll be back in action in no time. I’m so happy your job stuff is working out too :D PS what kind of vegan cheese do u use that melts?? haha i notice that is always the dead give a way!?!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2009 at 6:07 am

Hey Caroline,
I use this Vegan Gourmet Cheese. The cheddar is okay (kind of bland), but I hear it’s better than the mozz.

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 15, 2009 at 9:07 pm

Mmmm carbs, how I love thee.

Glad to hear all is good on the job front!!

chocolatecoveredvegan February 15, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Yayyayyayyayayayayayayayayayay!!!!! I love you Heather! And your bowls look awesome to the extreme! The peppermint cookis look amazing too. Haha I’m not sure about that tempeh, but I guess I should try it before I diss it!

Happy Sunday :o )

Shelby February 15, 2009 at 9:32 pm

I’m so using this page for inspiration!!!!
Thanks Heather, this will come in handy for the upcoming week!

Maggie February 15, 2009 at 9:54 pm

Yay for the job stuff! You just gave me a whole week’s worth of breakfasts – those look amazing. Where do you get your tempeh? The kind at my whole foods is really expensive.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2009 at 6:04 am

Hi Maggie, I get my tempeh from Trader Joe’s. I think it’s by Lightlife. Can’t look at the wrapper cause I ate it all with PB yesterday. :) Whole Foods sells the same brand, but it’s cheaper at TJ’s…of course. Have a good day.
PS – Is nut butter macrobiotic? I couldn’t really find a good comprehensive list of macrobiotic foods online.

OrangePop February 15, 2009 at 10:07 pm

SO great to hear about your job- congrats & hurray!!!
Blended grains… I would, but I feel like it’d be a bit messy in my blender. I’m so 1990!
By the way, thanks for your emails & support! You’re great.
Oat bran has become a staple of mine as of late. I feel SOoO full & satisfied for-eva’ with it. And almond butter- after eating the “real” stuff that my health-food store grinds up there, I can’t go back to conventional shelf-stuff!
Have a great week. Stay sane, for the sake of your hammy :) It’s not forever!!!

Andrea [bella eats] February 15, 2009 at 10:15 pm

The photos of your grain pudding bowls are lovely!!! We always have containers or random grains in our pantry…never enough to really do anything with. I always get so inspired when I read your blog! :)

Congrats on the great job news!!!

And, those cookies look amazing! If my job doesn’t slow down soon the poor buyers of my goods aren’t going to be getting them until March. :(

Thanks so much for your sweet comment on my blog today. You are so inspirational, and reading your comment made me realize even more that I made the right decision. I really appreciate your support! Your poor hammy…I definitely know how frustrating it is to not be able to get in the kind of workouts that you’re used to. Keep taking it easy and listening to your body, you’re doing the right thing.

Have a great week, Heather!

marafaye February 15, 2009 at 10:17 pm

All those grain bowls looks so amazing! I gotta try it!

jenngirl February 15, 2009 at 10:29 pm

Those pudding bowls look incredible! I love the variety of nut butter and flavors, yum!!

Have a great night!

eatingbender February 15, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Well, looks like I needed to read ahead! HURRAY! I’m glad that you get to stick with your current employer – that’s amazing news! Congratulations, Heather :)

I love the carbo-loading – I did that today with Heather’s Mixed Brown Bread. I loooove carbs!

Those cookies are definitely amazing. That is one lucky bidder! I can understand Chris’ disappointment to see them go away :) And ooh you tried GC’s PB tempeh! I still need to try tempeh. I’m pretty sure I’d like it if it was slathered in PB!

Have a great week!

Sarah February 15, 2009 at 11:15 pm

yayyyyy congrats on the great job news!!

and those cookies, yummmmm. love how the red bits are so visible!

foodsthatfit February 15, 2009 at 11:20 pm

Heather-
That is great news about the job! Hooray! I love all of the pudding concoctions and how they all have PB or AB with it! It wouldn’t be you if those weren’t included!

Sarah February 16, 2009 at 12:47 am

I just spent the last ten minutes trying to find a blended oat bran/pudding bowl recipe on Katie’s page. I’m doing it in the morning, watch me!

Your peppermint clouds look heavenly. I’ve got to bake tomorrow, our post offices are closed.

Can you move to Oregon, PUHLEEZ? Just thought I’d throw that in ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2009 at 6:41 am

Sarah, would love to move to Oregon…does the rain get you down? I need sunshine in my life!
My tips on the pudding bowls – do not use a hand blender with barley or wheat berries as they will fly all over the kitchen. I use my vita-mix, but the hand blender works fine in oatmeal. You have a Magic Bullet, right? Katie uses hers a lot for these bowls. I find that 1 cup cooked grains and 1/2 cup liquid is a good mix. Sometimes I use water and add protein powder or a non-dairy beverage with maybe a little cocoa powder and Stevia. Also works well with yogurt. Katie suggested water and a microwaved banana – haven’t tried that one yet, but sounds yum. I’ve had fun experimenting. Can’t wait to see what you concoct. Enjoy.

Stephenie February 16, 2009 at 1:14 am

I SO wish I missed exercise like you do. I’ve gone almost a week without the gym and it just makes me lazy =P You are very inspiring!

Hangry Pants February 16, 2009 at 1:37 am

Congratulations on the new working situation. Sounds really perfect for you right now!

I think you have indeed perfected the blended grains, unlike me who tried it once and quit.

Every time I want to run and can’t I think of you and your hamstring. I am wishing you a speedy recovery and hope you can get to move in the way you want to soon. Until then, here’s to patience and … carbo loading.

Heath

Beadie February 16, 2009 at 6:10 am

The pudding bowls look spectacular!

Erin February 16, 2009 at 6:21 am

That’s wonderful news on the job!!
I need to go blend some grains!

Meghann February 16, 2009 at 8:11 am

Those cookies look greats! its so exciting to see all my fellow bloggers making their goods for the bake sale! I almost wish it could have been a live in person bake sale, so that I could try all of the wonderful treats myself! :)

Melissa S. February 16, 2009 at 8:15 am

omg can i say heaven in a bowl? because that’s what all of those look like; no lie.

can you just come and cook all my bfasts for me? i’m so lazy in the mornings before going out in the field. :_)

tryingforatri February 16, 2009 at 8:49 am

Congrats on the good job news! That’s great! :) I wish your hamstring a speedy recovery too. Those pudding bowls look yummy, do you make them in the morning or the night before? I’m so hungry in the mornings, I just make the quickest thing to fill me up.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2009 at 11:21 am

Tryingforatri,
Hello. If I use oat bran or rolled oats for the pudding bowls, I usually cook them on the spot. Oat bran cooks especially fast – only takes one minute or so. Then I just use my hand blender right in the pot. For the wheat berries & barley, I’ll cook up a big batch at once, and keep them in the fridge. Then to make the puddings, I just dump grains, liquid, and other mix-ins into my Vita-Mix blender. Fast, easy, delicious!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 16, 2009 at 9:28 am

Congratulations!

Looking at all that pudding, we’re gonna have to change your name from HEAB to HEAP. :)

chocolatecoveredvegan February 16, 2009 at 9:46 am

Ummmmm… I KNOW I left a comment yesterday telling you how much I love your grains and also how much I love YOU! But I came back today to link to your page in my upcoming post, and I don’t see my comment! Grrrrrrrrrrrr to the extreme!!!

Wordpress ate my comment!

But I still love ya, Heather, and am sooooo excited you like the blended grains!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2009 at 11:18 am

CCV, your comment came through yesterday to my email, and so I don’t know what happen to it…silly Wordpress. Thanks for the link love!

polly February 16, 2009 at 9:54 am

Heather = adorable, genuine, lovah of almond buttah, and pudding bowl QUEEN, soon to be healed hammie yogi lady :)

Love you!

Natalie February 16, 2009 at 12:57 pm

I’m a new reader to your blog but wanted to let you know i can totally empathize…i’m a huge runner and recently started having trouble with one of my knees. I’m seeing a PT 3 times a week and it’s helping but I haven’t been given the ok to run again yet. It sucks!! So, Just wanted you to know I know how you feel :) …I just keep telling myself it’s worth it so that years from now I’ll still be running!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2009 at 3:16 pm

Hi Natalie,
Thanks for reading my blog and for your encouraging words. I’m sorry about your knee problems, but what you said is so true. We need to listen to our bodies and rest so that we can still be active years from now. Thanks – I needed to hear that. Have a good day. :)

Erin February 16, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Congrats! Wow, things happen for a reason, right?

thelongweigh February 16, 2009 at 2:05 pm

All your bowls of lovin look delicious! I love your adventures in the breakfast arena!

Congrats on the job situation! Thats so great you get to stay where you are at and do more of what you love! Hope you have a great week!

gina (fitnessista) February 16, 2009 at 2:14 pm

hey if you didn’t fill your weekend with exercise, you certainly filled it with delicious eats!! i really hope your hammie heals soon :/
my nana used to call me puddin when i was little… this post made me so nostalgic!
I TRIED THE OAT BRAN THIS MORNING! i thought of you the whole time i was in oaty bliss. it was amazing and i love the texture!
the cookies look INCREDIBLE! if you have an extras, you know where i live haha :D
hope you’re having a wonderful day!

ttfn300 February 17, 2009 at 6:10 am

ooh, so glad to hear about your good news on the job front!!! your b’fast quesadilla and grain puddin look so yummy… and your cookies, one lucky bidder!!

Shelby February 19, 2009 at 5:22 pm

Hey girl, another comment on this post…
How much protein powder did you use with the wheatberries? Did you use a whole scoop? I’m planning on making this for breakfast tomorrow and just wanted to make sure it was as delicious as yours looks =)

duodishes May 18, 2009 at 1:04 pm

The quesadilla and cookies are winners!