Lucky Number 7

by HEAB on February 16, 2009

Exercise: 60 minutes on the stationary bike with NO resistance.  I wanted to walk, but it was too cold outside.  So, I just sat on the bike while I watched the morning news.  No cardio – my legs just needed some movement after 2 days of nothing. Then I did 5 Chaturangas and held plank for 2 minutes.  I miss yoga. :(

Breakfast was much more exciting:

Turkey Scramble with Almond Butter Carob Wrap

Turkey Scramble with Almond Butter Carob Wrap

I wanted to try another protein packed breakfast.  This was great and kept me energized until a 1:15 PM lunch.  In the mix: 1 egg, 2 egg whites (thanks for the tip Bender!), 1 Laughing Cow Light cheese, 1 cup spinach, and 2 slices deli turkey.  My Flat-out wrap contained 1 TBSP Naturally Nutty vanilla almond butter and a TBSP of carob chips, all warm from the toaster oven. So good, but the cheese and meat made the eggs a bit too salty for my taste.  The stats: 455 calories, 23 grams of fat (43%), 32 grams of carbs (26%), and 37 grams of protein (31%).  Since I knew there would be more grain pudding bowls in my day (I’m obsessed), I decided a breakfast higher in protein was a probably a good idea.

Post lunch treat:

Vanilla Yogurt Blended Wheat Berries with Peanut Butter

See, I wasn't lying: vanilla yogurt blended wheat berries with peanut butter.

Sweet Julz over at Simple And Divine gave me a very special award today:

3284008968_5d0fa1929b_oI have never met Julz, but in the short time I’ve been reading her blog, I feel I have found a kindred spirit.  I remember Julz’s first comment to me here, and right away, I knew this girl spoke from the heart.  She is amazing and beautiful and hilarious AND loves yoga. Please please please stop by her blog – she has an amazing story to share and is one of the most honest bloggers out there.  I love a girl that is true to herself and to others.  In honor of this award, Julz blogged about 7 things that she truly loves, and now I will do the same.  I’m just going to go with the first things that come to mind in no particular order. This could get interesting. :)

The 7 Current Loves of my Life

By Heather McD

1) Chris, aka my CD

I love this boy with all my heart.

I love this boy with all my heart.

2) The Pups

Einstein & Radley, aka Baby Girl

My babies: Einstein & Radley, aka Baby Girl

3) The Crazy Mc’s!!!!!

My 2 brothers and my parents - I LOVE THEM!  They are hilarious and love me so much.

The McIntosh family: My 2 brothers and my parents - I LOVE THEM! They are hilarious and love me so much.

4) John & Alice

The most amazing in-laws ever...seriously!

I have the most amazing in-laws ever...seriously!

5) Colorado

Chris and I at the top of Pike's Peak

Chris and I at the top of Pike's Peak

Chris and I fell in love with the great state of Colorado after spending 5 weeks out there this past summer.  We plan to move to Manitou Springs as soon as our house sells.  Know anyone looking for a 1920′s Tudor in Nashville?  Come on, great neighborhood!

6) Polly

Sorry Polly, I couldn't resist :)

Y’all this girl has been such a blessing in my life, and we only know each other through our blogs and email. Calling all lovers of yoga and almond butter, get yourselves over to Polly’s blog ASAP, and even if you don’t practice yoga or eat almond butter, visit anyway, as Polly is amazing!  Another kindred spirit via the blog world and I CANNOT wait to meet up soon in Nashville, right Polly?   Happiness invades my soul whenever I see Yoga is Yummy pop up in my inbox as Polly’s emails are filled with the most encouraging words – ALWAYS just what I need to her.  Polly, you may not know this, but it was your comment on this post (ironically, the same one where Julz first commented) that really got me thinking about more yoga in my life. Something finally clicked when I read your comment that day, and I haven’t looked back since.   You’ve played a huge role in me growing my practice, and I will be forever grateful. Plus, you watch Lost, and I think you might love almond butter more than me…which leads to #7 on the list…

7) Almond Butter or any nut butter for that matter!

I love you all.

I love you all.

So tell me, what are your 7 true loves these days?

VeggieGirl February 16, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Love your 7 list (and that wrap in the first photo) – hell yes for Polly!! :-D

Maggie February 16, 2009 at 7:14 pm

yay polly :)

my 7 – i can’t decide! maybe i’ll post about them later :D

marafaye February 16, 2009 at 7:15 pm

I love the 7 things idea… and yours seriously brought a tear to my eye!

Oh and that breakfast? YUM!

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 16, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Polly is so wonderful!! And you are too! I just love your blog. It is so wonderful. I think we would be lovely friends.

Among the things I love: Definitely hot oats with melty almond butter, YOGA, my doggies, and LIFE!! Just to name a few =)

Lots o love to ya!

Melissa S. February 16, 2009 at 7:29 pm

ah, congrats on the award! i agree julz is one of the best bloggers around.

and i love the 7 things you love…so loving! hehe!

Heather (be well & take care) February 16, 2009 at 7:32 pm

So many gorgeous doggies! My quick seven: my wonderful boyfriend, my parents (and family in general, but mostly them), veganism (that will sound lame, but since going vegan I’ve thought a lot more about food, what I put into my body, etc. — it’s helped me to get over a lot of issues I have with food and it’s made me feel so much better, physically & mentally), my cats, nut butter (BEST THING EVER), my records (I am a music nerd), sunshine, and the outdoors in general. All of these things are crucial for my ultimate well-being, therefore I love them.

P.S. I am officially addicted to oat bran, thanks to you blogging about it! SO GOOD!

Gina February 16, 2009 at 7:32 pm

I love your 7 things you love :) Congrats on the award!

Erica February 16, 2009 at 7:38 pm

This was a great post Heather! First off- breakfast looks great! I love that you are trying new options and showing us protein packed breakfast options! You rock. Love your 7 loves- too cute. Beautiful picture from your wedding. Gosh…my 7 current loves:

1. Josh- he makes my every day (would you like some cheese with that ;) )
2. My wonderful parents and sister
3. Josh’s incredible family- I also feel like I have some of the best in-laws!
4. Frank- even just seeing his adorable face just makes me smile!
5. Veggies and Fruits- more please!
6. Starbucks
7. Cooking

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 16, 2009 at 8:22 pm

I saw that Julz gave you that fab award earlier today, and I was like, yeah HEAB! Well deserved, ma’am. You have some great loves in your life! :)

Kristie February 16, 2009 at 8:24 pm

I’m loving your recent blended breakfasts obsession. I’ve done it a couple of times with blended oats but I really want to try it with wheat berries! Sounds excellent.

I love your loves. They are all lovely. Hehe. I don’t know off the top of my head what my top 7 loves are but thank you for the suggestion, I think I may have to head off to ponder and figure that out now :)

carolinebee February 16, 2009 at 8:34 pm

AW i love Jules, and YOU! And colorado and puppies and all that good shtuff!!! I really hope you’ll be back in yog-action soon!

carolinebee February 16, 2009 at 8:34 pm

i mean JULZ- who is Jules!??

Anna February 16, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Oh gosh, only 7?! Well, I will pick the first seven that come to mind right now!
(In no particular order)
1. My family- my mom, dad, and older sister
2. This blogosphere! I’ve been so surprised and gratified by the positive responses to my posts as my begin my blogging adventure! I’ve felt so welcomed by all the bloggers out there, especially you! so THANK YOU!
3. movement! Whenever I am sick or injured, I realize how much I take being able to exercise for granted. yoga! running! frisbee! dancing!
4. My friends, both at school and at home
5. cooking and baking! seeing people’s faces light up when you bring them a home-baked treat is priceless.
6. Massachusetts! DC is nice, but my heart will always be in MA
7. chocolate! enough said.

chocolatecoveredvegan February 16, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Heather, you are so beautiful! Especially in that wedding photo!

Matt February 16, 2009 at 8:46 pm

My post tomorrow will include my 7 loves! Thanks for sharing yours!

bobbi February 16, 2009 at 8:46 pm

what an amazing list!

Emily February 16, 2009 at 9:11 pm

I think it’s so neat that you work for a doctor who practices alternative medicine (and that you do massage therapy)! What do you enjoy most about your job? (I’m really interested in alternative medicine).

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 16, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Emily,
Here is the link to my office’s Website: http://www.mindbodymedicalcenter.com. The doctor I work for is a traditionally trained MD, but he practices integrative medicine, using both alternative and conventional methods of healing. He’s more interested in preventing disease, unlike most practitioners of Western Medicine. Some of his patients have amazing stories of healing through dietary changes & use of supplements/vitamins. It’s an amazing atmosphere in which to work…so grateful for my job. If you have any more questions, feel free to email me as I love this kind of stuff too. Have a good week and thanks for reading my blog. :)

jacobc February 16, 2009 at 9:27 pm

Just like me, my calf has been bothering me for about a month now… and i’m just not giving up the running!! haha
Have you tried a foam roller??
I love mine! – It hurts, but works wonders..

gina (fitnessista) February 16, 2009 at 9:34 pm

i LOVE this post and really enjoyed reading your 7 things
the picture of you and chris is amazing- you are such a beautiful bride.
julz is the official sweetheart of the blog world :D how can you not love that girl??
here are mine:

3 Friends
4 running/ working out
5 Health
6 Ice cream!
7 Nature

Megan February 16, 2009 at 9:57 pm

awww your 7 loves… so cute :)

i love these blended pudding things you’re doing! what are they? i can’t tell. but they look so yum!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 17, 2009 at 8:09 am

Megan, for the blended puddings, I’ve been blending 1 cup of grains and 1/2 cup liquid (non-dairy beverage or water). In this post, I used 1/2 cup cooked wheat berries and 4 ounces of vanilla yogurt blended in my Vita-Mix. So good. I’ll post a blended barley pudding later today

HangryPants February 16, 2009 at 9:58 pm

I think you’ve convinced me to want some more protein in my breakfasts.

7 things:
1. Running a half marathon (or at this point the idea of it)
2. Free yoga on the internet
3. Bloggies
4. Greek Yogurt
5. Mark
6. Our apartment
7. My brother’s wedding.

charlotte February 16, 2009 at 10:41 pm

I am too tired to come up with my own lucky 7 list but I love yours! you and CD are SOO cute! And I love your puppies:) Colorado is awesome.

foodsthatfit February 17, 2009 at 12:29 am

Heather-
What an uplifting post, you are always so positive! I love the pictures! I’d have to say my seven are: mountains, running, healthy food, family, friends, my job, and being around positive people! You are awesome Heather!

Sarah February 17, 2009 at 12:43 am

My heart is bursting with LOVE for this post!!!

I love so many things you love: a husband named Chris, two slobbery babies ;) , Polly, almond butter, LOST, Julz, and so much more!

OH, and I love you too, HEAB-BEE-G-BEE!!!

Lara February 17, 2009 at 4:44 am

Hi Heather! I don’t know why I haven’t checked out your blog sooner since I always see your nice comments on people’s posts! Finally I did this morning and I love it! This post is lovely–you and your hubby are adorable. Plus, HELLO yummy eats! You have some great ideas here. Can’t wait to read more :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 17, 2009 at 8:06 am

Hi Lara, thanks for reading my blog. :)

Erin February 17, 2009 at 5:44 am

What an awesome post! I’m so glad you’ve gotten to know Polly through the blog world! She sounds like a wonderful person. :) I love seeing your family pictures. That’s beautiful. What a gorgeous life you have Heather!
I think Julz tagged me too, so I’m opting out and keeping you in suspense!

ttfn300 February 17, 2009 at 6:05 am

yummy breakfast :) and 7 loves!! i need to get blending…

Shelby February 17, 2009 at 7:08 am

OH MY GOSH! That wrap is insane! Vanilla Almond Butter and Carob?! I’m trying this asap.

Aww, the 7 loves are so cute. I’ve been to Pike’s Peak…it’s breathtaking…literally. Isn’t there an oxygen bar up there? ;)

healthy ashley February 17, 2009 at 7:15 am

Hey Heather! The yogurt/wheatberries/PB combo sounds so good! Nice combo!

I love all of your pictures. Your wedding picture- you two are so good looking!

tryingforatri February 17, 2009 at 7:23 am

That almond butter carob wrap looks yummm!! I like the idea of “7 Loves,” here are mine:

1. Me!
2. My boyfriend, Chris
3. My mom and dad
4. My roommate/best friend
5. Working up a sweat
6. Food
7. Playing music

Erin February 17, 2009 at 9:13 am

Ohhh, I love your breakfast as always and this post! So great. And I am astounded and jealous of your nut butter collection. Incredible. Though mine is growing (it makes me feel better to have many rather than consume one so rapidly :) )
As for my loves, I know they include: my boy, my parents, a few wonderful friends that are always there, breakfast, movement in general, chocolate, and good books.

Missy (Missy Maintains) February 17, 2009 at 9:13 am

Love the list!! You and your hubby are so cute! Your breakfast looks amazing too, carob on a wrap!!

lissa10279 February 17, 2009 at 10:00 am

Awesome list!!

1) My husband
2) My family
3) My friends
4) PB Loco White Choc Rasp PB
5) PB Loco Dark Choc PB
6) Diet Coke (sad to say, I’m addicted)
7) Oatmeal at breakfast

seeleelive February 17, 2009 at 10:41 am

HEATHER!!!! I miss you!!! I am sorry I am behind on your posts-but giiiirrrlll, how i love you! I am seriously grinning thinking of how far your blog has come-look at all these lovies supporting and rooting for you! Your creativity with food and your protein-themed breakfast are sooooo rockin’. Im so diggin your blog!

7 things i lovE?

1) laughing
2) family, friends
3) honest foods!
4) nature’s path!
5) living in the moment
6) MGMT (a band…check them out!)
7) good food (dug)
8) blogging, writing
9) me-time
10) scented candles!

seeleelive February 17, 2009 at 10:41 am

11….you!

glidingcalm February 17, 2009 at 11:26 am

awww! you are so cute!!! loved the pictures!! and your nut butter collection is not only hilarious…but truly admirable! someday i hope i can have a collection like you! and I totally want to try sunbutter!!

THE CAROB AND ALMOND BUTTA WRAP SOUNDS TASSSSSSSSTY!

MUCHO LOVE, AND HAPPY TUESDAY! :)

Kelly Turner February 17, 2009 at 11:30 am

love all the pictures! thanks for sharing!

Kelly Turner

polly February 17, 2009 at 11:39 am

Oh my goodness!! I totally got tears in my eyes, you silly SWEET girl!! Love you girls… all of yas. :) XOXOXOXOOXOXOXOOXXO

Heather = yummy friend

alessa February 17, 2009 at 12:01 pm

such cute pups! i love the pics.

Elizabeth February 17, 2009 at 1:11 pm

I love this post! It is great so read about what you love most in your life and I love the pictures too! I’m sitting here thinking of my great loves and realize it would take a whole post for mine! So for now, I’ll just say I LOVE that AB/Carob wrap you had for breakfast. I’m drooling! :)

Michelle Muse February 17, 2009 at 1:53 pm

I just happened to stumble upon your blog. I really enjoyed reading your post and seeing the yummy, healthy pictures!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 17, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Hey Michelle…glad you found me. Thanks for reading. :)

Lindsay February 17, 2009 at 5:36 pm

i want that yummy wrap :)

Andrea [bella eats] February 17, 2009 at 10:24 pm

Such a great post, and beautiful pictures!

My top 7:

1. My hubb.
2. My family + friends.
3. My animals.
4. My strength (physical and emotional).
5. My camera.
6. Ezekiel Muffins.
7. Bon Appetit Mag.

rebecca February 18, 2009 at 12:45 pm

hmmm 7 favorite things? that would be too hard. but i think almond butter may make the list… i’m totally addicted so when i found your blog i got very excited! i’ve never tried sunbutter.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 18, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Hey Rebecca,
Glad you found me – always nice to meet another almond butter addict. You’re not alone. :)

jane February 18, 2009 at 5:03 pm

you look so pretty in your wedding picture!
why just seven things?
well, here’s mine:
1. God (gotta be first, right? ;) )
2. my family- i am so lucky
3. my boyfriend- again, i don’t deserve all the great people in my life
4. running
5. writing, or anything creative
6. reading
7. the beach and beautiful weather!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 18, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Jane, I love your list of 7′s!

eatingbender February 18, 2009 at 11:00 pm

LOL it looks like we all remembered Julz’s first comments to us! That’s hilarious – I didn’t even read your blog and did the exact same thing!

How incredibly gorgeous do you look on your wedding day? So beautiful – it’s as if I can see the love emanating from both of you! Here are my 7 loves:

1) Bobby
2) My family
3) My best friends
4) Golfing
5) Exercising
6) Food blogging
7) Twilight – that one was just for you, Cold One.

I’m so glad you liked the addition of the whole egg! Thanks for the shout out, Heather :)

eatingbender February 18, 2009 at 11:01 pm

P.S. I didn’t realize Julz had given you the award…and I actually gave you it, too! I wanted to represent all the bloggers I’ve met. So just consider yourself double loved!

Denise February 12, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I went to Colorado for the first time this past summer with my niece and Mom and of all the places we went, I told them that I wanted to move to Manitou Springs. Funny, huh?

My seven favs:
1. Family
2. Friends
3. Pets (Blue, my sweet double merle Sheltie, and Buddy, our new Jack Russell)
4. Dancing (tap, Contra, English Country ballroom…anything!)
5. Historic homes