Bye-Bye Barney

by HEAB on February 22, 2009

Polly, look.  I used my new stirrer.  Brilliant invention!

Nut Butter Stirrer.  Finally, no oil splashes on our countertops!

Nut Butter Stirrer. Finally, no oil splashes on our countertops. Thank you Polly!

Why, is that a jar of peanut butter?  But, aren’t you Heather Eats Almond Butter Dot Com?  Yes, I am, but more about that in a minute.  First, let me show you my breakfast. :)

Chocolate Blended Eggy Oats with Peanut Butter

Chocolate blended eggy oats with peanut butter

Oh my, what a bowl this was!  Following Food That Fit’s advice, I once again added eggs to my oats. My oatmeal custard from a few weeks ago contained egg whites, and I don’t know why I haven’t used them in my oats more for the added protein boost.  Oh, yes I do.  It’s because I’ve been loving on Mr. Jay Robb and his luscious protein powder a bit too much these days.  The goal is natural sources of protein more often, and this bowl did just the trick.  I cooked 3/4 cups Mr. Quaker rolled style on the stove-top with 1.5 cups of water, and a pinch of salt.  While simmering, I added 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg for some added fat.  After the oats soaked up most of the liquid, I added 1/2 TBSP of cocoa powder and a little Stevia.  In went the hand blender, and voila…a yummy chocolately peanut butter topped brekkie.  Stats: 454 calories, 21 grams of fat (38%), 48 grams of carbs (40%), and 25 grams of protein (22%).  I was hungry 3 hours later…or maybe just bored.  Oh well, I’d do it all over again as it was delicious!  Next time, I’ll try oat bran instead of rolled oats, as they seem to stick with me longer.

So, Chris and I have been discussing our grocery budget lately.  Chris is amazing with all things spending/money/finance/numbers.  Me – not so much, but I can draw a really pretty butterfly and you should see my Downward Dog. :)  Anyway, we’re trying to cut back where we can, and so I’m really watching the nut butter budget.  No more online orders!!!! For a while, I was making my own nut butters, but then I kept reading about all these exotic new almond butters I’d never tried.  The online orders began, but it’s really quite silly when I can make my own. Barney Butter, I missed you for a while, but I’ve decided to go back my roots.  (Thanks to GirliChef for the reminder!) There is nothing like a jar of 100% unsalted nuts!  So, other than the occasional purchase of crunchy peanut butter, all my nut butter will be of the homemade variety. Today’s jar…Roasted almond walnut.

Roasted almonds and walnuts into the food processor.

Roasted almonds and walnuts into the food processor

After about 3 minutes, homemade nut butter!

4 minutes later, homemade nut butter!

I had to try this right away, and so I made lunch.

1st course - roasted kale & mushrooms with hummus.

1st course - roasted kale & mushrooms with hummus.

Blended barley with vanilla yogurt and almond/walnut butter

2nd course - blended cooked barley with vanilla yogurt and almond/walnut butter

Walnuts are my favorite raw nut (sorry Mr. Almond), and the addition of roasted walnuts to this nut butter was AMAZING.  Our newly made jar is not going to last long…not that they ever do in this household!

Enjoy all the Oscar entertainment tonight.  I’m more of a pre-show girl myself. Love all the red carpet action – total guilty pleasure!

Heather (be well & take care) February 22, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Whoa, can I do that in a regular food processor (I have a KitchenAid) or is that the Vita-Mix?! I always thought you needed a super powerful blender/processor like a Vita-Mix but dang, this could be fun/adventurous!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Heather (be well & take care), If I can make nut butter in my generic food processor, I KNOW you can do it in your KitchenAid. Use roasted nuts, and you may have to stop it a few times to scrape down the sides. Then allow it to keep blending, and eventually, you’ll get a creamy consistency. Easy and delicious!

brandi February 22, 2009 at 2:04 pm

ooh, that almond/walnut butter sounds awesome!

Emily February 22, 2009 at 2:08 pm

I would love to make my own nut butter! Any special tips or just blend and go?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Hi Emily. Basically, you just blend and go. I recommend using roasted almonds as with raw, you tend to have to add a little oil. Also, you might have to stop the food processor once or twice to scrape down the edges. Then allow it to keep blending, and eventually you’ll get a creamy consistency.

Anna February 22, 2009 at 2:08 pm

I want to make homemade nut butter next time I’m home/have access to a food processor! That walnut/almond mix looks REALLY good.

Awesome nut butter stirrer- I could definitely use one of those! How do you like the regular TJ’s PB by the way? I think it is kind of strange… too dark and almost bitter/burnt tasting. I DO like the Valencia flax one though, it’s much lighter.

And I totally forgot that tonight is the Oscars. Well, that’s what happens when you don’t have a TV like me.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Hey Anna, I liked the taste of the TJ’s PB, but it’s kind of oily – really runny. I’ll try the Valencia next time – thanks for the recommendation!

Evey February 22, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Oh no, no more Barney butter??

That’s ok.. your homemade nut butter looks AMAZING anyway.. so it’s ok for Mr. Barney to be on hiatus for a while.

I think I’ll try and make homemade nut butter someday… it seems so easy (and cheap!).

Is that Eat, Drink and Be Vegan I see in the background? Have you tried the Double Carob Cashew or Super Charge Me cookies? They are Evey-approved and really delicious!

You enjoy the Oscars, too.. I know I will, ;-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Evie! Good eye – that is Eat, Drink, & Be Vegan. I’ve made something similar to the Super Charge Me cookies, and I bookmarked the Double Carob Cashew cookies to make soon. I think you blogged or made a comment to me about them once. They’re definitely high on my cookie to bake list!

tryingforatri February 22, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Mmm…your breakfast looks delish!! I made a “no buying nut butters online” rule for myself, I can see how it would be soooo easy to get used to! I should try making my own though, I think the Bulk Barn has a grinder to do it :)

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 22, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Oooh I am inspired to make some now!

Lots that stirrer from Polly. Hope you had a fabulous weekend =)

VeggieGirl February 22, 2009 at 3:08 pm

SCRUMPTIOUSNESS!!!

Kiersten February 22, 2009 at 3:09 pm

Almond-walnut butter sounds awesome. I really should try making my own nut butter sometimes. At the rate I go through them, it’d probably save me some money too. Plus I really like the idea of making a mixed nut butter.

Shelby February 22, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Wow, that nut butter combo is amazing. I’ve never thought of making my own before, what a great idea! I’m totally with you on the spending thing…I’m not good with money at all.

Do you blend your barley with the yogurt or add it in afterwards?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Hey Shelby, Today I blended my barley in the Vita-Mix with very little liquid (bad idea…the motor was not happy!), and then I mixed it with 6 oz. of yogurt. It was thick, pasty, and delicious! In the past, I’ve blended it all together…can’t decide which method I like better. What have you been doing – your bowl yesterday looked so creamy and good. :)

Kath February 22, 2009 at 3:19 pm

I need to try to process my own too… I love the walnut addition!

Megan February 22, 2009 at 3:47 pm

omg, is that really all you have to do to make nut butter?! I’ve never tried it, but I have always wanted a nut butter that was a medley of nuts. such a brilliant girl you are… *jealousy rears its ugly head*

Lara (Thinspired) February 22, 2009 at 4:09 pm

25g of protein for that bowl of oats is awesome! I have tried adding ONE egg white to my oats before, but I got scared to add much more than that! I like how it makes that oats nice and bouncy :)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? February 22, 2009 at 4:09 pm

Almond-walnut butter?? Sounds like heaven in a jar! I don’t think it would’ve even made it TO the jar in my house!

Sarah February 22, 2009 at 4:15 pm

You rock, making your own nut butter!

How was the Mardi Gras party?!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2009 at 7:29 pm

Sarah, the homemade nut butter turned out so well – I’d forgotten how good it is. Don’t know why I ever stopped making it. Mardi Gras party was much fun. There was a lot of andouille sausage and fried catfish involved in my evening…oops. Thanks for asking. :)

ttfn300 February 22, 2009 at 4:20 pm

you know, i was thinking about it recently, i am SO tempted by naturally nutty. but i can get tj’s or 365 pb for ~2 a jar… so i think i’m gonna have to go that way… how many almonds go into a 16oz jar of pb? b/c 4.99 for a jar of tj’s almond butter doesn’t sound that bad… nuts can be expensive!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Hey ttfn300, I say stick with the TJ’s or 365 PB over Naturally Nutty. NN is good, but very sweet. I’m not sure how many nuts go into one 16 oz. jar. I’ll measure the next time I make it. We buy our nuts in bulk at Costco. The walnuts are a little less than $12 for 3 lbs. Cheapest I can find.

Sarah February 22, 2009 at 4:21 pm

oooh i need to make my own nut butter!! i wonder if any old food processor will do or if i need some special attachment?

ummm, that melty pb all over your oatmeal is giving me heart palpitations …

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2009 at 7:32 pm

Hey Sarah, I have a generic brand food processor, and it works just fine. No special attachments needed – go for it!

Heather (be well & take care) February 22, 2009 at 4:42 pm

OH MY GOD, you are amazing! I just made some nut butters based on what leftovers I had in the cabinet — sunflower seed (roasted & salted), peanut (added a little canola oil + agave + flax), almond (dry roasted, added a tiny bit of salt) and cashew. I did small amounts just in case it didn’t turn out, but I am thoroughly impressed. I never attempted this because I didn’t think my food processor would work, but I am going to save so much money this way. Thanks so much for blogging about this! (Can you tell I am excited?!)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Heather (be well & take care)…so glad your nut butters turned out, and I love the variety. I’m not sure why I ever stopped making my own as the jar I made today tastes amazing! I’m excited for you. :)

Gina February 22, 2009 at 5:01 pm

I have been in love with walnuts recently, they’re so yummy :)

Making your own nut butter is so much fun, I love it! Although I’m sorry to hear you are saying bye bye to Barney for a little while.

Maggie February 22, 2009 at 5:19 pm

I’ve never tried making my own nut butters. I do love the combo of almonds and walnuts (but almonds are my fave). I like my $1.99 TJ’s natural peanut butter though – simple and cheap. But PB is my nut butter of choice (gasp!) – it beats out all the others!

raspberryrunner February 22, 2009 at 5:36 pm

wow, almond walnut butter sounds fantastic! i should put my food processor to good use and make my own nut butter, too!

Matt February 22, 2009 at 5:37 pm

I need to make some of my own nut butter! That looks awesome!

Erin February 22, 2009 at 6:37 pm

I also didn’t know this was possible! How exciting! The walnuts sound wonderful and I love your pudding. Blended things are just so good.

polly February 22, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I am soooo glad you liked it, sweetie!! Oh man, I am coming over for some walnut-almond yummy butter. THAT is totally my name for it, what to you think? Yummy butter? ;)

Love you to bits, H! XOXO

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2009 at 7:35 pm

Polly, yummy butter – perfect!

elise February 22, 2009 at 6:57 pm

the economic recession is proving quite useful, huh!?

im getting overly crafty with leftovers…where will this take me next?

ah the red carpet, cant help but love it!

Lori February 22, 2009 at 7:11 pm

Hello and War Eagle!!

I just came across your blog after reading Katheats!! I wish I could make my own nut butter too, but first I need to buy a food processor…

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Hey Lori. Thanks for reading my blog. Buy a processor – I seriously don’t know what I’d do without mine. War Eagle! :)

Melissa S. February 22, 2009 at 8:19 pm

oh, my gosh. I want that nut butter! can you make me just a walnut one? or walnuts with cashews?! omg i need a blender like that to make my own….>D

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 22, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Melissa S., I can make either nut butter combo for ya. Just email me with your address, and it’s in the mail! :)

Amanda February 22, 2009 at 8:46 pm

YUM! I was just thinking you could try making your own specialty nut butters – with chocolate, maple syrup, honey, etc … hmmm?

Nick February 22, 2009 at 9:05 pm

This I must try. I’ve only tried homemade peanut butter which is good, but not as cheap as just buying peanut butter. Almond/Walnut butter, on the other hand, now that’s a great idea. Combo nut butters sound like they could be the new “thing” this year!

Monica February 22, 2009 at 9:52 pm

darn, i just finished off a bag of walnuts but as soon as i buy another one i am making that nut butter. it looks divine!! it’s such a smart idea to make your own and think of all the creative combos you can create! thanks for the inspiration!

orangepop February 22, 2009 at 10:45 pm

…so THAT is how that little gadget works- nifty! That’s great that you make your own & have a stirrer now, for added support! Happy $aving$!

Hangry Pants February 22, 2009 at 10:51 pm

So cool! I just asked on my blog if anyone had made their own nut butter before. Obviously, I didn’t see this delight yet. It looks so easy and fresh!

bobbi February 23, 2009 at 12:16 am

I have been thinking about making my own, now you have inspired me!

Elizabeth February 23, 2009 at 1:14 am

Walnuts are my ultimate raw nut too! I love them. I should try making my own nut butter.. I never have, but it could be fun!

I so got sucked into Red carpet action today…as in, all two hours of red carpet action. So much for productivity. :)

foodsthatfit February 23, 2009 at 3:45 am

Heather-
Thanks for the shout out! I hadn’t even considered trying to make my own nut butter! Duh, where have I been! I have tons of raw nuts in my cupboard, I will be trying this out! I have problems with online shopping, I think I just love getting packages in the mail, and I love to try new products! I am really impressed by the ways you are cutting back financially, the little bits here and there all add up. It would be interesting to see a tally at the end of the month about how much you save by doing this!

MizFit February 23, 2009 at 5:03 am

**drool**

and I love that mixvention!

For the Love of Peanut Butter February 23, 2009 at 5:37 am

HEATHER, you are amazing!!!!! Is this considered “raw” nut butteR? i am soooo impressed lady love! it looks and sounds delicious! why dont they have a walnut butter?

oh and do some people add oil to their butters or does it rise naturally?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 23, 2009 at 7:30 am

For the Love of PB, this was not raw butter as I roasted my nut before grinding them. I’ve used raw nuts in the past, but you have to add oil when grinding them. The oil rises naturally from roasted nut butters. Raw almonds + coconut oil make an amazing nut butter!

Erin February 23, 2009 at 7:14 am

No more online orders?! Oh no! I guess it’s good to save money, but STILL. I bet your homemade nut butters blow all others out of the aqua though.
I love that stirrer! Amazing!
In response to your previous post, I like to get in one scoop of protein powder each day. I just buy the soy kind from GNC and it’s $16 BUT I buy it on sale. They do a buy one, get one half off deal here and that works well for me. Other sources of pro in my diet include grains, ‘fu, lentils, tortillas, etc. I only need about 50 grams a day. I used to love egg whites in my oats! Such an easy way to get the pro. It seems like you’re definitely fueling your body right and giving yourself enough fuel to heal your hamstring.
I’m with you on eating a big breakfast. I probably eat more cals in the morning than during any other meal and I love it!
Good job on the maple syrup! The real stuff is so good!
Have a great day Heather!
P.S. I love your pumpkin breakfast :) I just ate half a can of the good stuff myself!

ttfn300 February 23, 2009 at 7:33 am

oh wow, that’s a good price for walnuts! i’ll have to get my friend to bring me to costco again :) i was thinking of almonds, which i’ve gotten at such a place 2lbs for 8 or 9 i think…

gina (fitnessista) February 23, 2009 at 7:54 am

that is SO COOL you made your own! i totally need to stop being lazy and try doing that- especially since almond butter is so crazy expensive out here!
i hope you had a wonderful weekend!!!
sorry i’ve been m.i.a from the blog world for a few days– it’s been a little crazy, but i missed you!
i totally thought about you while i was sweating my face off in bikram :D
have a great day!

Dori February 23, 2009 at 8:16 am

Your homemade almond butter looks great! Have you tried experimenting with combinations? I am thinking a Heather-made almond/cashew/macadamia butter?!

Also, you are my inspiration for tonight’s workout! This weekend I was completely knocked out with the worst cold ever, but today I am starting to feel a little better. Not better enough to do a full-on workout (want to take it easy so I can fully recover) but I think i will attempt 60 min on the recumbent bike! I am VERY into my book right now to the point where all I want to do is read nonstop, so I think I might be okay for an hour reading it, at little to no resistance! Thanks for the idea!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 23, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Dori. Enjoy your workout tonight…hope you don’t pull your hair out. :) Being into a really good book helps – what are you reading? Glad you’re starting to feel better. Oh, and almond cashew macadamia nut butter? I’m drooling. That’s definitely a combo for the nut butter to-make list! Thanks for the suggestion!

Missy (Missy Maintains) February 23, 2009 at 8:37 am

Wow so cool that you can make your own! That will be a huge money saver!! I think I need to get myself a food processor!

girlichef February 23, 2009 at 9:09 am

Thanks for the shout out, Heather! Funny how a little “bug in your ear” can push you back down a forgotten path, huh? Your recipes are getting me excited…and I have to look for one of those great nut butter stirrers :) Heather S-G

Andrea [bella eats] February 23, 2009 at 10:48 am

I LOVE the idea of making your own custom nut butters! How fun. They would make great gifts!

jacobc February 23, 2009 at 12:38 pm

So CD has recommended going on a butter budget.. pooorr Heather ;-p

Any luck with the house??

I’m going to have to get one of those thinggys, i spent 10min last night getting my new jar of kroger natural creamy.. prob would have been quicker to drive over to your place!

How is the hammy?? I’m taking some time off now..boooo My right leg is bummed, but i knew it was coming.. and that race sat really messed it up..but i still won!! although 19:23!! haha

cheers!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 23, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Jacobc,
Congrats on your win, and I’m really sorry about the leg…trust me, I know how you feel. This hamstring thing has been going on about a month now! I’ve totally babied it the last week, but it’s still not healed. Ugh, my yoga workshop starts in a week, and I really want to be there. So, we’ll see.

No luck with the house, although we had one showing last week, and one today. We haven’t lost hope yet. :)

You’re welcome to come over anytime as we’re ALWAYS stocked in the nut butter department. Have a good week, and I hope your leg heals soon. What’s wrong with it? Also, how is YOUR house coming along?

justine February 23, 2009 at 2:55 pm

I have been dying to make my own almond butter!! I think I might just do it this week. Do you have any tips or tricks for me? I would love some of your advice or input on making it at home.

~Justine

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 23, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Justine, if you have a food processor, it’s easy. Use any type of roasted nuts. I’ve made everything from pistachio to mixed nut butter using a container of salted mixed nuts from Costco. I’m not big on salt these days, and prefer roasting my own UNsalted nuts on a cookie sheet in a 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or so. If you do roast your own, watch them as they’ll burn quickly. May want to stir them around once or twice while they’re in the oven. You can use raw nuts, but you will have to add oil as they “grind”. I do love raw almonds with coconut oil – the combo is delicious. Just let the food processor do its thing for about 4-5 minutes, or until your nut butter reaches your preferred consistency. I usually stop the machine and scrape down the sides at least twice. Let me know if you try it!
PS – made the protein crepes again this morning – so good!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie February 23, 2009 at 5:35 pm

Homemade nut butter is great! I don’t have a food processor, but make single servings of it in my spice grinder :)

jacobc February 23, 2009 at 6:16 pm

Heather,
Well, i pulled my calf last month and started back running before it was completely better… then changed my mechanics because it was bothering me, that in turn pulled something in my butt and IT band, the whole freggin right leg is hurt now!!
I haven’t ran since the race, and now nothing is hurting at all, it is so tempting, but i know it isn’t ready.. I’ll just have to take this week off.. I feel ya with that injury thing.

I have a large CD that matures on august 18th, so i scheduled the closing for august 20th.. Construction doesn’t start for another 2 months. They said it could be done by june, but i’m not going to cash out the CD early (and get docked 3 months interest).. I’ll keep ya updated, you are on my yahoo friends list now ;-)

THat sux with your house.. i don’t guess the stimulus did much good.. The $8000 is only for FIRST time buyers like me, i don’t know why they discriminate, shouldnt it be for anyone buying..? I don’t guess there are many first time buyers out there that are actually in the position to be able to qualify to purchase a house right now, so it doesn’t do much good.
Hey, i might take ya up on that offer sometime for some nutbutter sampling, i’ll make some homemade bannana pudding to trade ya! ;-p
I always buy the kroger natural peanut butter…mmmm, it goes in and on everything from cottage cheese to oatmeal.. I have never tried almond butter or other exotic flavors, partially because i don’t really like almonds.. What part of town are yall in anyways?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 23, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Jacob, I love PB on cottage cheese, and you can never go wrong with homemade banana pudding! We’re near West End and I-440, but hopefully not for long. :)

Sorry about the leg. Have you tried any massage therapy?

Jenn (eating bender) February 23, 2009 at 10:41 pm

I really want one of those PB stirrers! I’ll have to ask for one next time a holiday comes up :) I would love to by the oily PB but I always avoid it because it goes everywhere!

Good for you for making your own nut butter. I still have to do that! I need to try your Vita-Mix version, too. I still do not know all the potential that my little blender has in it and it’s time I figured it out!

Lauren February 24, 2009 at 5:38 pm

I love the idea of combining nuts for homemade nut butter!

{ 3 trackbacks }