Who Needs Mickey D's?

by HEAB on February 24, 2009

A fun Heather McD fact: When Chris and I first started dating, I kept one lock of my hair died hot pink. I don’t remember when I stopped doing this, but Chris always loved the pink.  So funny because he looks so conservative, and I’m more of the free spirited type when it comes to style.  I love that about us. :)  Anyway, onto breakfast…

McGriddle Cakes, Heather Style!

McGriddle cakes, Heather style!

Looks pretty carbolicious, huh?  Well it wasn’t!  The stats: 475 calories, 14 grams of fat (26%), 21 grams of carbs (18%), and 63 grams of protein (55%).  Since February 24 is National Pancake Day (Thank you Polly!), I decided to make Justine’s protein crepes (again) to celebrate.  My obsession with these crepes is out of control, and I’ve decided to declare it National Pancake Week so that I can eat them every morning for the next few days!  This morning’s crepes were topped with peanut butter, Smart Balance Light, 1 scrambled egg white, 1 Morningstar sausage pattie, and maple syrup.  I can’t believe how delicious and filling this was for under 500 calories and over 60 grams of protein!

Blended Bowl of the Day:

Chocolate Coconut Barley

Carob coconut barley

This magnificent bowl was both dairy AND soy free.  I’ve been holding off on eating the coconut milk yogurt sitting in our fridge until my dairy-free month of March, but I couldn’t take it anymore.  So, into the mix it went along with 1 cup cooked barley, 1 TBSP carob powder, and a splash of water to aid in blending.  Topped it all off with a little peanut butter…perfect.

Dinner:

I made Hangry Pants’ raw pesto sauce, and then in perfect Heather-style, un-rawed it with meatballs for Chris and salmon for me. :)

Roasted Veggies with quinoa, raw pesto, & meatballs

Roasted Veggies with quinoa, raw pesto, & meatballs

Exercise today: Recumbent bike.  After 40 minutes I couldn’t take it anymore and finished my workout with a brisk 20 minute walk on the treadmill.  My yoga workshop starts in 6 days.  Ahhh, I will be so sad if I have to miss any of it!  I don’t know – maybe even the bike is irritating my hamstring.  So frustrating, but I think I will skip the biking for the rest of the week.  Ugh, I’m dying here…seriously, does anyone else thrive on a good sweat fest?  I need them in my life!

I’m giving up  gum for Lent, or aspartame laden rubber as Chris likes to call it.  I’m a total gum-aholic.  No cardio…no gum?  Watch out chocolate…we’re going to be good friends these next few weeks.

So, back to the pink streak.  It’s probably been 3 years since I’ve done something funky to my hair, but I surprised Chris with a new do.  Yesterday, I went super dark, and put the pink back. :)

Surprise CD!  I promise no animals were harmed in this photo.

Surprise CD! I promise no animals were harmed in this photo.

Ever done anything crazy with your hair?  OK, off to cram a few sticks of Spearmint Extra into my mouth before midnight!

jane February 24, 2009 at 8:46 pm

ooh giving up gum is a GREAT idea (and i love chris’ name for it!)
i gave up gum a couple months ago and am so glad that i did. it started hurting my jaw, making me bloated (you swallow air when you chew gum), and giving me headaches. those fake sweeteners are just BAD NEWS!
it’s really tough at first, but i doubt you’ll go back after the 6 weeks. good luck!!

VeggieGirl February 24, 2009 at 8:48 pm

LUSCIOUS eats and cute dog :-D

Marians eats. The Italian way February 24, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Oh my gosh! I seriously LOVE your hair! So cute!!!! Have a great night friend:)

foodsthatfit February 24, 2009 at 8:48 pm

I love your new hair-do! I wish I could be more brave and try something like that! Your hair looks so shiny and healthy! Your dinner looks so good! I printed off the recipe for the raw pesto sauce also!

Anna February 24, 2009 at 8:49 pm

WOW your hair looks awesome! I have always been tempted to dye my hair dark just to mix things up. I’ve never changed my natural super-blonde color. It would be so strange though- my hair is my most distinctive feature!

Good luck with the gum… I stopped regularly chewing gum when I realized that it was waging war on my stomach every time I popped a piece. I don’t know if it was the fake sugar or the all the air introduced into the stomach, or maybe a combo of both.

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 24, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Ooooh I love it!

Matt February 24, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Nice hair! Mine is pretty boring; I guess I am not much of a fashion statement!

Erica February 24, 2009 at 8:54 pm

I LOVE THE PINK! Adorable. Your hair looks awesome. Again, am loving your high protein breakfasts! I think my low protein intake is causing my tummy problems- need to get this corrected asap!

jenny February 24, 2009 at 8:59 pm

I like the hair Heather Mac. I think I am giving up coffee for lent. I should give up sweets, but Lord knows nobody would want to be around me.

kaneil February 24, 2009 at 9:05 pm

SUHHHWEEEET new do! I love it!! You’re the coolest! :)

Please move to CO soon!

One time in college, Andrew and I got in a little tiff, so I got streaky highlights and bangs. He noticed right away and I totally acted like it was no big deal. OOoh the games we played in college.

Yummy pancake week – I may have to have some soon!

Kaneil, balanceisbest

Hangry Pants February 24, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Oh my god – I saw the picture and was like who IS that person. HOT!

Nice pesto. I am definitely going to use it in cooked dishes too because I really think it’s dam tasty.

Yes, I thrive on sweat and feel so bad for you. I hope you do not miss any of the yoga. If I were you I would try v. hard to be inactive between now and then.

AutumnTao February 24, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Your hair looks very cool lady. In college, and for as long as I could get away with it afterwards, I had a few random dreadlocks in my hair, but never more than 2 at a time. My favorite was one with little bells sewn on the end… I would use it to tie up my hair at concerts and make lovely music as I danced around. I always liked being able to put in glass beads and peyote stitch beads on the dreads to decorate my hair.

Ashley February 24, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Love the hair! Sometimes I feel like my boyfriend has more hair products than I do, so I would say we’re the opposite. :P

And who the heck needs McDonald’s when that looks so much better?

Emily February 24, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Love dinner and the new hair! So fun! I’m not brave enough to do anything with my hair. It’s pretty dark, so it doesn’t dye well.

I think I’ll join you in celebrating and make pancakes this week!

ttfn300 February 24, 2009 at 9:25 pm

ooh, new do!! :) oh my, i am a chain sugar free gum chewer… but i think i might have to give up nut butter or dessert for lent. haven’t decided yet. and my last jar of barney butter had about 4 servings (hides head in shame)…

Elizabeth (thelongweigh) February 24, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Ok, your blended bowl looks espceiclly good today! Yum!

OMG I LOVE your hair! That dark color is gorgeous and the pink is HOT! Being a hairstylist, I love people who do funky stuff with their hair! The most I have done to my own is a bunch of panels of bright red.. and my husband loved that too!

gina (fitnessista) February 24, 2009 at 9:33 pm

great idea to give up gum! i’m seriously addicted, but i always like to be minty fresh :D it’s a pretty nasty habit if you think about it though
your hair looks AMAZING! i love the pink (of course) and your hair is so beautiful and healthy!
homemade mickey d’s bfast is a genius idea and i love raw pasta sauce.
have a wonderful night!

Melissa S. February 24, 2009 at 10:09 pm

i totally died 5 different areas a shade of aqua the first time, then blue, purple, red, pink, green, white. it was madness and TOTALLY FUN!

Michelle February 24, 2009 at 10:17 pm

Hey! I love your blog, and the hair looks beautiful! I’m thinking of getting a pink streak in my hair…did you have to get it bleached first? And did you do it at home or at a salon?

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 25, 2009 at 6:45 am

Hey Michelle. As far as the pink streak goes, yes I did have to get it bleached first. I went to a salon as I would never trust myself with both bleach AND pink hair dye. I love my streak, but it always fades really fast and ends up looking like whitish red mistake…definitely requires some upkeep. That is why I only do one strip underneath-pretty easy to hide.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 24, 2009 at 10:21 pm

FUN HAIR! I need an update myself. I am shag-o-rific.

I am loving the pancrepes idea. That is going to need to happen soon as well. The race is on between a new ‘do and pancakes.

raspberryrunner February 24, 2009 at 10:23 pm

love the new hair!! i’m not very brave with mine…i tried to dye it darker myself once with a kit from target, and all my hair looked PURPLE when i first washed it out!!! the purple faded in a couple days, and the color ended up not being that bad, but i still went to go get it professionally fixed about a month later! i haven’t colored my hair since. yours looks great though :)

Maggie February 24, 2009 at 10:24 pm

I LOVE your hair! It looks awesome. I’ve always loved dying my hair, but it tends to stay in the same color scheme – always reddish browns, which is basically my natural color… but sometimes I like going darker than I naturally am (my hair goes blond in the sun).

Andrea February 25, 2009 at 12:35 am

You’re so awesome! I never got around to dyeing my hair a funky color like I wanted to in college. Now, I’m in too much of a professional environment to do so. Sometimes being an adult really sucks!

Brother Minor February 25, 2009 at 12:50 am

Heather, your hair looks awesome!

-Brother Minor

carolinebee February 25, 2009 at 1:05 am

HEATHER!! I’m squealing in joy and delight right now!! Your hair looks HOT woman i loooove it so much! Oh ya, food’s good too :D

Sarah February 25, 2009 at 1:32 am

You might just be the coolest person I don’t know.

My hair has been every length (middle of my back to super super short), color (platinum blond to red to black) and texture (curly to straight to in between). I never understand those people on makeover shows that cry their eyes out. It grows back, people!

After a few days, you won’t miss the gum, promise. I was a 1-2 pack a day girl back in the law days. Nothing like a gum smacking platinum blond lawyer in a pink suit to give you confidence. Oh wait, that’s the movie Legally Blonde. And here I thought I was an original.

Megan February 25, 2009 at 1:38 am

omggg LOVE YOUR HAIR!!! love itttt.

i cant believe you’re giving up gum, you’re a better woman than I am!! I still havent decided what to give up. its so hardddd!!

love every single thing you eat. i think that goes without saying :)

Gina February 25, 2009 at 4:53 am

Okay, I totally love the hair! I’ve never done anything crazy, although it was a weird purple shade for awhile.

Your blended bowl today sounds so yummy…I have yet to buy the coconut yogurts, but they sound sooo good. Probably why I haven’t bought them, I’d eat it too fast!

Jill February 25, 2009 at 5:07 am

Oh, I love the smooth, dark hair…and I never noticed the pink ever…how was that? I never really do anything crazy with my hair…other than short/long/blond/brown. I’m more crazy on the ink…but it’s well hidden and not trashy…ink with a purpose!

MizFit February 25, 2009 at 5:30 am

I LOVE that hair story.

I tried to do black and purple once (at a salon. they screwed it up and I sweat purpleoffmyhead for a month).

I like the idea of ONE STRIP.

hmmm…

glidingcalm February 25, 2009 at 6:10 am

haha awesome hair! you make the pink look so pretty! and not a lot of people could do that! yours looks classy!!

haha i ALWAYS chew gum before bed! it’s part of my email and hw routine!!

love the barley, love the protein crepes, and the meat balls look tasttttty.

have a fabulous wednesday Heather!!

chocolatecoveredvegan February 25, 2009 at 6:18 am

I can’t think of anyone I’d rather be friends with than chocolate ;o)

Shelby February 25, 2009 at 7:09 am

I totally have a couple coconut milk yogurts (they were 3 for $4) in my fridge that I have yet to try so you know I saved this page for that pudding. YUM!

How do you get your hair so shiny?! It’s GORGEOUS girl! And I’m loving the pink streak, I’ve always wanted to do that with my hair.

One year I dyed my hair a deep auburn red color. It was pretty but not me, I prefer blonde =)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 25, 2009 at 9:55 am

Hey Shelby,
I have no idea what my hairdresser used on my hair to get it that shiny, but it never looks like that when I style it. She put some kind of gloss on it before drying and flat-ironing. I only wish I had the patience to make it look like this everyday, but I’m more of a wash and go girl. I like you blond too. :)

What is your favorite soy yogurt? I’ve only tried the Stonyfield brand and didn’t like it so much.

jacobc February 25, 2009 at 7:09 am

haha, i dyed my hair black a couple years ago…

Lauren February 25, 2009 at 7:09 am

Adorable dog & I love your declaration of the unofficial National Pancake Week :) I’ve started adding yogurt to cooked oats every now and then, and it is delicious! I need to try barley…

eatingbirdfood February 25, 2009 at 7:10 am

The crepes look delicious. I can see why you want it to be pancake day every day.

Your hair looks so cute!! I’m sure Chris is going to LOVE it.

eatingbirdfood February 25, 2009 at 7:13 am

p.s. I had to give up gum as well. I was pretty much addicted to the point where when I had it I would eat one stick right after another. My stomach was hurting constantly and I finally figured out it was the artiical sweeteners and sugar alcohols in the gum. no good.

Erin February 25, 2009 at 7:28 am

Your breakfast and your hair look gorgeous!
I love doing crazy things to my hair, but I no longer seem to. I had bright red hair for a while and a few months ago I chopped it all off.
I can’t believe how protein filled your breakfast was! And how naughty it looks for the calories! I love seeing your breakfast creations and your puddings.

Erin February 25, 2009 at 7:50 am

I LOVE your pink streak! THat is so fun! Not to mention your hair is totally glossy and gorgeous! I don’t do anything crazy with my hair. If I’m gonna mess around I do it with makeup!

Lara (Thinspired) February 25, 2009 at 8:07 am

How fun! I wouldn’t have ever guessed that was you if you wouldn’t have told me–when I was first skimming over the post I thought it was a friend! It’s fun to do something different every once in a while :)

Kelly Turner February 25, 2009 at 8:39 am

I LOVE you’re hair! It looks so good. i try and get that brown color, but it never lasts for very long.

The weirdest thing i ever di with my hair was on accident- the lady that was dying it left it in too long and it turned matte black. i looked goth. it ewas awful.

Kelly Turner

Holly February 25, 2009 at 8:53 am

Hey, Heather! I love your blog. :-) And your hair! Love it, too. I am so not ballsy with my hair. I went last night to dye my hair to my “natural” color (who knows?) and ended up leaving with lowlights/highlights. Hmmm.

Cherie February 25, 2009 at 9:33 am

OOOH! I love the new color! And the hot pink is so fun! I never knew Chris was into hot pink. :-) (And I LOVE your black scarf you’re wearing, too. Looks like it was made with tender loving care.)

Meghann February 25, 2009 at 9:36 am

Love the new do! You reminded me I am in desperate need to get my hair colored!

Mara February 25, 2009 at 9:37 am

Can’t see the hair pic at work… dang firewall… but your breakfast idea sounds absolutely amazing!!!

brandi February 25, 2009 at 9:37 am

LOVE your hair!

My hair is really dark brown and I died it Jessica Rabbit red once and LOVED it :)

Missy (Missy Maintains) February 25, 2009 at 9:56 am

Can’t wait to see how you do with the gum! Please let me know if you find any tricks that help! The no gum thing is not working for me although I have cut back to 1/2-1 pack instead of 2 packs at least! It is so hard!

Chelsea February 25, 2009 at 10:37 am

I like the pink. I think it looks cute when a women does that one little thing to make herself look unique.

I really ought to give up gum because it gives me intestinal distress if I chew too much (and I get sores in my mouth if I chew cinnamon!), but sometimes when I’m trying to think or dealing with a frustrating situation at work, I get a gum craving like no other.

amy (veganissexy) February 25, 2009 at 10:58 am

Wow….Loving the hair change. That dark is so lush and healthy looking! I’m all over the blended grains right now too :) Your coconut chocolate may have to be my next attempt!

Stephenie February 25, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Your hair looks awesome! I love the pink against the dark brown. Nice job… I NEED to do something with my hair. Maybe something funky? At least something with some texture =)

justine February 25, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Heather, you are so cute!!! I love the dark hair!! Ya, back in my “wild” days I had dark purple and dark blue streaks in my hair. It was so subtle, I loved it, even my dad thought it was cute. He didn’t like the nose and tongue ring though. haha :) . I am so glad you like the crepes. I think I may whip some up for night time snack today. Hope the house viewing went well the other day!!

~Justine

elise February 25, 2009 at 1:00 pm

loving the hair. suppa cute!

Kristie February 25, 2009 at 1:04 pm

The hair, the hair! WOW, I love it! I used to want to put pink in my hair. I never actually did it and I would definitely not be brave enough to do it right now, unless I knew it would wash out in a day or something. Yours looks SO good though.

I’m super impressed with your breakfast too. Definitely beats a McD breakfast any day. YUM.

luckytastebuds February 25, 2009 at 1:58 pm

Hi Heather!!! I really love your blog and thanks to you, I embarked on my first bottle of almond butter journey. Now that i have it though…I’m not quite sure what to do with it but make Almond butter and jam sandwiches!!! Will you direct me in the right direction on how to make use of this almond butter so i can truly enjoy its lovely flavors?? I would TOTALLY appreciate it!!

Heheh I don’t get to do anything crazy with my hair. My mom is Hitler when it comes to changing color, shape, form, length…yeahhh. *Sigh* And yes, I’m an adult. hahah Hope you’re having a great hump day!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 25, 2009 at 2:20 pm

Hey Luckytastebuds.
Thanks for reading my blog, and congrats on your first jar of almond butter! Let’s see, here are some of my favorite ways to enjoy the good stuff:
1. On a spoon straight from the jar.
2. Melted on warm toast or a tortilla with carob/chocolate chips.
4. Almond butter makes a great condiment for apples, carrots, pretzels, bananas, etc. The possibilities are truly endless!
5. I dollop some one a freshly grilled chicken breast and allow it to melt before eating – AMAZING.
6. I love a spoonful alongside a mug of hot chocolate.
7. On top or mixed in hot cereal.
8. On top of big bowl of yogurt and cold cereal/granola.
9. Add it to smoothies.
10. Almond butter makes a great substitute for peanut butter in any recipe. I’ve also used it instead of tahini in homemade hummus.

Hope this list helps – it definitely doesn’t cover all of the uses for almond butter, but it’s a good start. Enjoy my friend and Happy Wednesday to you as well. :)

justine February 25, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Hey, I meant to tell you thanks for the tips on making almond butter. I think I might make it here in a few.

~Justine

Jen February 25, 2009 at 3:10 pm

Heather that breakfast rocks!!!!!!

Dori February 25, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Okay wow I miss a lot when I am at work!

First, your McGriddle looks like the most delicious thing ever. I need it. Seriously. Wowowowowow. I am salivating!

Next, your barley looks amazing as well! Mouth watering. I love that texture!

Last, your hair looks AMAZING. The oolor is so rich and shiny!

CaSaundra February 25, 2009 at 6:55 pm

Love the hair! Very, very cute =)

Susan February 25, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Ohmygoodness, I have a serious addiction to gum too! I think I need help. I’ve been thinking about giving it up for months now, but I keep chickening out! Even my jaw gets sore sometimes, and the sugar alcohols give me tummy pains :(

Aaannyways, I commend you on your courage!! I’ve had my hair every colour of the rainbow. Pink, red, blue, orange, green, purple. Purple was my favourite! I love the pink streak with the dark, it looks great :)

Monica February 25, 2009 at 8:39 pm

heather your hair looks so cute! i love it!

Rose February 26, 2009 at 11:19 am

Love the pink streak!

Jenn (eating bender) February 26, 2009 at 9:11 pm

HEATHER! I absolutely LOVE your hair! It is so awesome, seriously! I went really dark once in high school and loved it. I didn’t do the pink, but now I’m thinking I should have. You look amazing. Seriously, I can’t get over it!

That breakfast is awesome, too! You’ve given me so many great ideas lately and I need to start putting them to use. Well, I can tell you that I used some Jay Robb in my smoothie yesterday and thought of you :)

Sammie February 28, 2009 at 4:50 am

Love the hair!!! Way to go funcky chick.

wicca303 February 17, 2010 at 4:03 pm

OMG!!! Just going through your archive and your hair made me giggle in delight. I used to wear mine like that at uni, but my under streak was purple (bright violet not plum). Might have to do that again when it grows out a bit. I loved my purple streak. And I’m working for the NHS so it won’t be an issue to have funky coloured hair, as long as it’s clean and tidy.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 17, 2010 at 5:26 pm

Wicca, Do it. Get the purple!!!! I miss my pink, and I think I need to put it back. :)