Homemade Carbo Loading

by HEAB on February 25, 2009

Justine, I hereby declare myself PR rep. for your protein crepes for I’ve grown to love them so. :)

Peanut butter ice-cream crepes

Peanut butter frozen yogurt crepes

This breakfast tasted absolutely sinful!  I topped my crepes with Smart Balance Light, peanut butter, maple syrup, and 2 big dollops of Sarah’s peanut butter frozen yogurt.  The stats: 487 calories, 14 grams of fat (26%), 22 grams of carbs (19%), and 63 grams of protein (54%).  For all of you seeking more protein in your diet, TRY THIS BREAKFAST.  It’s not your typical stack of flapjacks by any means, but slap some nut butter and maple syrup on top, and I promise you a plate of heaven!

Lunch today was inspired by the sweetness that is Marian.

Bring on the good fats!  I am full.

Bring on the good fats! Gosh, I'm full.

My bowl consisted of leftover roasted veggies, quinoa mixed with veganaise and pepper, and 1/4 avocado.  A useful tip for leftover avocados: place in Ziploc bag and freeze for future smoothies.  Ever tried an avocado banana coconut smoothie? Well, you should! Freezing both the avocado and banana turns any smoothie into a thick creamy glass of yumminess!

No blended bowl for lunch because I baked my first loaf of homemade bread ever!!!!!

German Style Spelt Bread

German Style Spelt Bread

Dessert: bread with Smart Balance Light and peanut butter

Lunch dessert: bread with Smart Balance Light and peanut butter

This bread is perfect – so moist, yet very dense.  That one piece put me over the edge, and I didn’t know if I would ever be hungry again.  (Yeah, right…you better believe I was blending up some goodies about 5 hours later!)  After compiling various recipes from different blogs, I decided on using Alisa’s recipe since I had spelt flour on hand.  Also, there were two words from her recipe that made this bread irresistible: cheap and easy.  Perfect!  I am so excited about more bread making adventures (Hangry Pants, your recipes are up next!)  Who knew it was so easy, and baked bread smells 100 times better than steamed broccoli!  Thanks Alisa!

Thank you so much for all your sweet comments regarding my hair – I’m loving the pink.  So fun.  No cardio OR gum in the past 24 hours.  Definitely not a good day to have a fresh loaf of homemade bread in the house.  Not good at all! :)

Night night my lovies.

foodsthatfit February 25, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Heather-
I love the idea of avocado in a smoothie. I usually buy them in bulk and have a hard time using them up before they go bad! I bet the smoothie is filling with the added fat. The spelt bread looks delicious, how did you get it sliced so evenly? I always hack loaves to death when trying to slice it. Thanks for the recipe links, I just printed out Justine’s protein crepe. I am thinking of collecting recipes for a blogger e-cookbook, what do you think?? I would love some of your great recipes! I just posted about it, check it out when you get a chance, I’d love to hear your input!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 26, 2009 at 7:23 am

Foods That Fit,
For the bread, I used our huge serrated bread knife…finally. I think I’ve had it 3 years and have never taken it out of the block! Apparently, it works really well. :) I think the blogger e-cookbook is a wonderful idea! Would love to contribute.

Emily February 25, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Love the spelt bread. Much prettier than my breadzilla, haha.
Thanks for the interview advice, too!
I need to learn to make crepes.
Slathering anything in PB makes it amazing…I am convinced!

Elizabeth (thelongweigh) February 25, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Another fabulous day of food at your house! Both the crepes and bread slathered in smoothness look amazing! I am loving the homemade breads I am seeing all over the place.. Its gonna be my turn soon! Good luck with Lent.. no gum would be so hard for me!

Maggie February 25, 2009 at 10:17 pm

I love homemade bread, especially the thick and dense kind. Congrats on gum – I’m almost 2 weeks clean, we can do this together!

eatingbirdfood February 25, 2009 at 10:48 pm

I think those crepes are calling my name… literally! And, your homemade bread looks bangin!

Nighty Nighty

Kristie February 25, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Okay I seriously have to try these crepes. I haven’t had a crepe of any kind in quite a while. A protein filled one sounds just about perfect! I need some more protein powder first though… kinda crucial perhaps?

Freezing an avocado… now THAT is genius. I freeze everything.. I cannot BELIEVE I never thought to freeze avocado. Now I’m going to buy them more often just so I can freeze em!

And I’m seriously dying to make some homemade bread. I’m scared, but I swear I’m gonna do it!

bobbi February 25, 2009 at 10:56 pm

where do I get that recipe for the bread!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 26, 2009 at 7:21 am

Bobbi, here is the recipe for Alisa’s bread: http://www.onefrugalfoodie.com/2009/02/24/hearty-healthy-easy-and-cheap-german-style-bread/. So simple and delicious!

carolinebee February 25, 2009 at 11:18 pm

Those crepes look amazing…I fully admire your tenacity. See, I would’ve stopped after RUBBER TIRE day…and you keep at until u achieve perfection!! Great work on the gum and cardio, did u chew gum at the gym ever?? ha i like to chew it DURING cardio so that rule would be killer.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 26, 2009 at 7:20 am

Caroline, the first thing I do before exercising is pop a stick of gum. It’s going to be so hard not to when… or if I ever get to exercise again! :)

Alisa - Frugal Foodie February 26, 2009 at 12:05 am

I am so glad you liked it and your bread turned out beautiful! It is seriously filling, no doubt.

Chocolate and avocado go great together, and the chocolate hides the green color from those who may be less adventurous. I like it with smoothies and I made a mean avocado pudding in my book :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 26, 2009 at 7:19 am

Thanks again Alisa for the recipe. Yes, I love making raw puddings or fudge with avocado. I’m posting a pudding recipe later today…if it turns out well. :)

Lara (Thinspired) February 26, 2009 at 4:03 am

Oh carbs, glorious carbs. I could never give them up either. In fact, carbs and avocado. I could live on those two foods!!

Erin February 26, 2009 at 5:25 am

Carbs are a gift from nature! I’m so glad you enjoyed them in so many forms!
I also love how much inspo you get from other bloggers and how you always throw down for them. It would be easy not to.

Erica February 26, 2009 at 6:02 am

yayyyyy for homemade bread! I am totally picking up what I need to make a loaf this weekend! Yours turned out just beautiful- great work girl!

Michelle Hisae February 26, 2009 at 6:04 am

WOW – that bread looks so good! There’s something about homemade bread that makes it LOOK better and TASTE better. I should delve into making my own sometime, too…

Erin February 26, 2009 at 6:28 am

Those crepes look like a stellar breakfast! Your bread also looks amazing. I’ve decided to start making my own bread again, because its way better and it’s just getting too expensive! I need to try something new though, and that one looks great!

Shelby February 26, 2009 at 7:01 am

That bread looks heavenly!!! I’ve got to make my own soon, I haven’t baked anything in a while.

I’ve also got to make some crepes, yours have got me craving ‘em!

VeggieGirl February 26, 2009 at 7:32 am

LOVE IT!!

Jordan February 26, 2009 at 8:15 am

Your bread looks great! I cheated by using a bread maker.

I just started working at an Indian restaurant so maby I will lear a lot abour indian food.

Ashley February 26, 2009 at 8:59 am

Your bread looks amazing!! Thanks for linking to Alisa’s recipe, I will definitely have to try that soon.

AND I will definitely have to try the avocado in the smoothie tip sometime soon!

Chocolate-Covered Katie February 26, 2009 at 9:25 am

The homemade bread looks sooooo amazing! I want to eat it off the screen. Is there a way to do that?

Heather, it’s an honor just to BE on your blogroll! You can call me anything you want, I’ll answer :o ). But I guess Chocolate-covered Katie is good. I changed my blog name because I kinda felt like I was being exclusive with my vegan title, especially since many of my blogger friends aren’t vegan.

brandi February 26, 2009 at 9:43 am

I have never thought to put avocado in a smoothie! I love them, though.

that bread looks so good

Marians eats. The Italian way February 26, 2009 at 10:13 am

Heather thank you soo much for the site to go to for preparing tofu! I need it so bad! I just love you and your blog! I always get great ideas! Avocado in smoothies? yum! Thanks for the tip:)
Isn’t the quinoa/vegenaise and avo combo the best?!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 26, 2009 at 10:30 am

I covet all the homemade bread! Especially with the droolicious melty PB all over the place…total sinless sin.

Lainie February 26, 2009 at 11:21 am

Hi Heather,

Just found your blog and love it – your recipes are inspiring! I was wondering if you could re-post the recipe of how to make the protein crepes (including which type of protein powder to use) and how to make the peanut butter “frozen yogurt”. I looked at the links in your post but couldn’t find the recipes. I would really love to try them out so I would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanks, and great job on the blog!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 26, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Lainie,
Thanks for reading. I’ll post the recipes tonight. :)

Holly February 26, 2009 at 11:46 am

PB Fro Yo? That’s combining 2 of my favorites…I want to jump through the screen and get some!

Any helpful advice on the gum? I chew…oh….3 or 4 packs a day! During the week, anyway. I’m a total chain chewer. I always have to have something in my mouth so I’m scared to stop. :-(

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 26, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Holly. I am pretty addicted to gum myself, but once you go a few hours without it, it gets easier NOT to chew. Yesterday morning was a bit rough as I didn’t realize how much of a habit it was to simply reach for another piece. Throw out all your gum, drink water or hot tea whenever you want to chew, and it will get easier. I think going cold turkey was the only way I could quit. Today has been MUCH better and I’ve hardly thought about gum.

amy (veganissexy) February 26, 2009 at 12:52 pm

I gave up gum too! I find myself thoughtlessly popping it when I’m bored, and then end up with a tummy ache from the fake sugars. I am trying to make tea now instead to kick the craving and satisfy my need to keep my mouth busy!

Sarah February 26, 2009 at 3:49 pm

I’ve got to try those crepes! You’ve sold me. And PB fro yo makes anything better!

Sarah February 26, 2009 at 5:35 pm

wow, those crepes look amazing. and i def have to check out sarah’s pb froyo, yum! and your bread. what an awesome post of carbs :-)

Matt February 26, 2009 at 6:00 pm

That bread looks good! I am such a sucker for fresh bread!

Susan February 26, 2009 at 7:09 pm

I’ve been wanting to make bread for-ever! When I get back from vacay I’m going to give it a go. Yours looks so yummy! I’m glad it turned out :)

Jenn (eating bender) February 26, 2009 at 9:12 pm

Hurray for baking bread! That is one of my goals over spring break. I’m going to bake my own bread and try to come up with a creative sandwich for PB Boy’s exhibition. Yours looks so delicious!

Hangry Pants February 27, 2009 at 10:25 am

Congrats on your first loaf. It looks wodnerful and of course, more pleasant in smell than broccoli. :D

seeleelive February 27, 2009 at 11:40 am

heather, when can i visit so that you can make me some home made nut butter and barley dessert?

{ 2 trackbacks }