I've Got A Secret

by HEAB on February 26, 2009

My exercise today consisted of hauling the office recycling to the recycling center and 3 minutes of plank. Thank goodness I’ve eaten my body weight in carbs over the last 24 hours for such a strenuous workout. :)

Blueberry Crepes

Blueberry Crepes

Another crepe breakfast in honor of Heather’s Pancake Week.  Several commenters have asked for specific instructions for the protein crepes.  Following is my Justine inspired recipe.

To six egg whites (or 3/4 cup carton egg whites), add 1 scoop of protein powder slowly while whisking with a fork.  I’ve tried both Jay Robb‘s whey and egg white protein powders.  The whey worked much better, and for comparison’s sake if you’re using a different brand, 1 scoop of Jay Robb contains 120 calories and 25 grams of protein.  The recipe yields 2 crepes cooked in a skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium high heat. Watch them as they cook pretty fast, about 2 minutes or less on each side.

As far as the peanut butter frozen yogurt goes, I used Sarah’s idea of mixing Greek yogurt with peanut butter and then allowed it to freeze for one hour.  Easy and makes a delicious crepe topping!

The stats for this breakfast were 483 calories, 14 grams of fat (26%), 26 grams of carbs (22%), and 60 grams of protein (60%).  Another protein filled & very filling breakfast!

Blender, blender, I missed you at lunch yesterday!  To make up for it, I’ve had 2 bowls of blended grains since last night, and I used a secret ingredient for one of them.  You’ll have to read to the very end to find out what it was. :)

Simple Vanilla Barley

Vanilla Barley

For this bowl, I combined 1 cup cooked barley with 1/2 cup vanilla soy milk and then heated the mixture on the stove-top until warm.  Into the Vita-Mix it went, and that’s it.  Toppings included a sprinkle of carob chips and a blob of my homemade almond walnut butter.  Simple recipe and simply delicious.  This makes for a very inexpensive dessert.  Barley is ultra cheap when bought from the bulk bins at your local health food store.

Secret Ingredient Bowl (for my soy free friends!):

Chocolate Oat Pudding

Chocolate Oat Pudding

This bowl was definitely high on my list of favorite blended grains!  I cooked 1/2 cup of oat bran on the stove-top, and while it was still warm, I poured in into the Vita-Mix with 1/2 frozen banana, and about 1/2 TBSP cocoa powder. Then came the creamy factor.  I fear soy may me bothering me again, and so I’m trying to limit my intake.  So, instead of tofu, I used…1/2 avocado.  What a great addition my friends!  Avocados work great in raw desserts, and I don’t know why I hadn’t thought to use them in one of my blended grain bowls before.  For the most amazing raw chocolate frosting, simply blend 1 ripe avocado with equal amounts of cocoa powder and maple syrup.  The combo makes a great pie filling as well!  Always a hit at our dinner parties, and people are shocked when I tell them the ingredients…which usually leads to a Vita-Mix demo. :)

What’s your favorite secret ingredient?

Oh, and to all my beloved foodies, check out this link for a quick laugh: http://i39.tinypic.com/24w7ed0.jpg. Hilarious, yet so true!!!!

Last thing, I promise!  Chocolate Covered Katie, the brilliant inspiration behind all of my blended grain bowls, is giving away an entire box of Jocalat bars by Larabar. Read all about it here.

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) February 26, 2009 at 5:43 pm

CARBS!! I wouldn’t be alive without them!

Glad you “found” my blog again!! I missed your sweet comments! Have a great night!!

Shelby February 26, 2009 at 5:51 pm

I have to get a Vita-Mix soon, I just have to! That blended barley sounds amazing. I love how simple it is with the vanilla. Mmm.

And great idea with the avacado! I have a fear of avacados (either the fat content or the taste-I’m not sure) but this pudding sure makes me want to try one!

foodsthatfit February 26, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Sribbling down recipe for chocolate oat pudding with avocado! My favorite secret ingredient was inspired by the cookbook Deceptively Delicious. I take broccoli or cauliflower, steam it and then puree it. Then I add the pureed veggies to soups/stews, etc. But my all time favorite way to use them is to bulk up eggs. Here’s what I do: take egg whites or egg subs. mix in 1/2 cup pureed veggies. Either microwave or cook on stove. Add whatever else you like. It doubles the bulk of the eggs and adds a ton of fiber! If you use cauliflower you can’t really tell they are in there, but the broccoli makes the eggs a pretty green! I feel good knowing how many vitamins and fiber I’ve added to the dish this way!

VeggieGirl February 26, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Heather, you’re amazing – you always tempt me with your creations!! Oh and please email me when you get a chance – no rush!!

Chocolate-Covered Katie February 26, 2009 at 6:13 pm

You are now officially the blended-grain queen :)

Enjoy your title!

Maggie February 26, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Yay carby carbs :) I put cinnamon in pretty much everything!

peanutbutterandjuli February 26, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Avocado!! Must try this whenever I get a mixer.

Also, I need to try these crepes- they look DIVINE!

Lindsay February 26, 2009 at 6:39 pm

Hey Heather – I heard you shouldnt “cook” protein powder? Have you heard this? I still do, but I have heard of the debate.

Pumpkin Protein Pie (my own concoction):
1 can Pure pumpkin
2.5 scoops Metabolic Drive Low-Carb
1/4c milk (optional)
pumpkin pie spice to taste
1/2c. walnuts

Crush walnuts, rub small amount butter on inside of bread pan. Put crushed walnuts on butter, making the crust.

Mix protein powder, pumpkin, and milk in bowl (milk makes it a little fluffier, no milk, more like a brownie in texture).

Pour mixture into walnut crust. Bake at 350 until a toothpick comes out clean (about an hour).

I made this and doubled the amounts.

Makes 2.5 servings-each serving (without milk):
28g Protein, 16g Carbs (7 are fiber), 20g fat. (ok it isn’t super low carb, but pretty good)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 27, 2009 at 8:33 am

Lindsay, I’ve heard different things about the protein cooking debate. Another commenter (Gina) wrote that heating the protein powder does not change its properties. So, I’m going to take her word for it since I’m obsessed with these protein crepes. :) I love your pumpkin pie recipe. Thanks for sharing! Definitely will be trying this soon.

Erica February 26, 2009 at 6:41 pm

I’ve never made a crepe! They always look so delicious…I must try ;) You know how I heart me some breakfast for dinner.

Thanks for the kind words about my tummy! I think the issues are coming from a few places…stress but also a lack of protein in my diet. This has not been officially deemed the cause but….its my best guess!

marafaye February 26, 2009 at 6:42 pm

That picture made me laugh way too hard!!!!!!!!
Favorite “secret” ingredient: Kitchen Bouquet. Its a gravy darkener/flavoring agent, but it’s my “secret” in most of my best chicken dishes!

Thank you so much for your comment today…I saw it right after I got home from working out, and it made me smile! I think we may have been brought up in the same household! As for the cleaning thing? I don’t know what came over him, or if it’ll ever happen again…so I have no advice!

Anna February 26, 2009 at 7:14 pm

avocado?! interesting. this may seem obvious, but my favorite secret ingredient (in baked goods) is SALT! something to balance out all that sugar.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 27, 2009 at 8:30 am

Anna, I love a good salty/sweet combo. I always add a pinch of salt to all my sweet baked goods even when the recipe doesn’t call for any. Yum!

Brandi February 26, 2009 at 7:31 pm

i need to make that almond walnut butter :)

Thanks for the comment today!!!

Dori February 26, 2009 at 7:45 pm

Ok you are killing me with the crepes – once again they look like my perfect meal and I would like you to cook for me one day! No, I would LOVE it!

Gina February 26, 2009 at 7:50 pm

I know they were asking you, not me, but to the comment about, regarding cooking protein powder, is not true. It is still just as effective cooked, baked, etc.

I LOVE sneaking avocado into things! I have yet to have any other sneakiness work too effectively. Although, to some people, tofu is considered sneaky, haha.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 27, 2009 at 8:29 am

Thanks Gina as I’d heard different things about the protein cooking debate. I’ll pass this info along to my other commenter.

Erin February 26, 2009 at 8:20 pm

Ohhh, that avocado is exciting!
I pretty much gorged myself on the pumpkin ice cream last night, but I plan to make it again soon with hopefully better picture results. It does freeze well; the only problem is waiting until it freezes! I think I ate it at every stage of the process!

Emily February 26, 2009 at 8:35 pm

Ahh, totally drooling over those crepes right now.
Love the idea of avocado in puddings and PB frozen yogurt?? Yes, please! I am definitely going to try and locate some almond butter this weekend, too…you’ve definitely made me want to start putting it on everything!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) February 26, 2009 at 8:46 pm

You read my mind! I just finished making my breakfast cookie for tomorrow, and I put avocado in it! I think it’s gonna be awesome – you’re right about the creamy factor. Smooth and decadent, yeah!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 27, 2009 at 8:28 am

Diana, Hope it’s good. I’ll have to read how your’s turned out. I’ve tried avocado in the b’fast cookie as well, and it was sooo filling. Love those good fats!: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/01/19/the-breakfast-cookie-goes-green/

Michelle Hisae February 26, 2009 at 9:14 pm

I have GOT to try one of your puddings sometime. I have oat bran for breakfast anyway, so why not add a few extras in and blend like you? Going on my to-do list!

Jenn (eating bender) February 26, 2009 at 9:15 pm

LOL! That cartoon cracked me up because honestly, if future man would have told me that a little over a year or so, I would have laughed, too!

Thanks for the instructions on those pancakes! I finished my last Jay Robb packet yesterday and really want to buy a big container now. He is such an amazing man. Truly.

ttfn300 February 26, 2009 at 10:09 pm

did you catch the chocolate pate I tried?? avocado and melted chocolate… heaven. it was from diet, dessert & dogs, love her site :) ANYWAYS. i need some blended grain bowls and protein crepes. maybe this weekend…

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 27, 2009 at 8:25 am

ttfn300. No I missed your chocolate pate. I’m going to have to do a search on your blog as it sounds like something I would love! Thanks.

raspberryrunner February 26, 2009 at 10:48 pm

lol!! love the link! although even today, when i show my friends how you and lots of bloggers show their bowl of oatmeal or other fabulous breakfast creation every morning, they think it is really weird…oh well. i’m in love with your blueberry crepe creation today…wow that looks good!

carolinebee February 27, 2009 at 12:14 am

haha Heather’s House of Protein Crepes, love it!

Elizabeth February 27, 2009 at 1:24 am

I have heard about the amazing powers of sneaking avocado into things but I still havent tried it! Everyday your creativity amazes me!

I really need to try the PB frozen yogurt..that sounds awesome!

Erin February 27, 2009 at 5:33 am

Whoa girl! It’s true, you’ve taken blended grains to a whole new level!

Lara February 27, 2009 at 5:35 am

Ok, that little cartoon is hilarious…hehe..and so true! I really think food blogging is just going to become more mainstream as time passes.

MizFit February 27, 2009 at 5:48 am

you lost me a THREE MINUTES OF PLANK.

GO HEATHER!!

Missy (Missy Maintains) February 27, 2009 at 8:30 am

The crepes look amazing! Your pictures look so professional too! I would have to say cinnamon! I love it in coffee, pancakes, oatmeal, fruit, everything!

Kiersten February 27, 2009 at 9:21 am

That chocolate-barley-avocado pudding sounds interesting. I have seen a few recipes that use avocado in a dessert and I have been tempted to try it. I think you just convinced me to do it.

Chelsea February 27, 2009 at 9:30 am

I’ve never done it, but I’ve heard you can make a great key lime pie knock off using avocado rather than condensed milk.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 27, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Chelsea, I’ve had the following recipe for key lime pie forever and haven’t tried it yet. Thanks for the reminder!

1 Avocado, 1/4 cup of Coconut Oil, 1 tbls of Lime Juice, 1 tbls of Agave. Crust is 1 part Nuts:1 part Dates. EASY! Freeze first!

justine February 27, 2009 at 10:01 am

Hey Heather,
Did you see my pumpkin protein pancake? http://peanutbutteroats.blogspot.com/2009/02/creamy-almond-butter-goodness.html

~Justine

Andrea [bella eats] February 27, 2009 at 10:37 am

That’s it…I”m blendin’ some grains this weekend. :) And those crepes look absolutely divine! I think we may be having breakfast for every meal the next couple of days. Love the PB fro yo idea…you and Sarah are so freakin’ creative. I’ve got a list a mile long of things to try from you two…

Have a great weekend Heather!

orangepop February 27, 2009 at 11:33 am

LOL tweet! thanks for the ‘toon!
Voluptuous Vanilla, va-va-vroom!!! yum! Looks like you’re winning at pancake week!

seeleelive February 27, 2009 at 11:44 am

my favorite secret ingredient is pumpkin! i made a home made chocolate pumpkin loaf (from tina and sammie of runningw/arecipe) and nobody in my fam knew it was pumpkin! especially my mother who strngly dislikes its earthy taste!!!

The Running Yogini February 27, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Thanks for visiting my blog :-) I absolutely LOVE the idea of blending avocados. I’m one of those strange people that don’t like plain avocados, but I have had it mixed with other things that I like and enjoyed the combination. What a great idea!!! Have a lovely day!

jenna February 27, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Okay. So I’m intrigued here. I just scouted out barley after searching at two different locations JUST so I could make “blended grains”. My question is what is one serving? Is it like oatmeal where you just do 1/2 cup dry barley with 1 cup liquid and simmer? And how long can you keep these “puddings” for in the fridge once you blend them? I am thinking they would be perfect to take to work with me but I would need to do it way ahead of time!

Ah! So many questions! hehehe

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 27, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Hey Jenna,
According to the back of my Bob’s Red Mill bag of pearl barley, 1/4 cup raw barley is one serving which = 1/2 cup cooked and 180 calories. I’ve been blending 1 cup cooked (so 2 servings). As far as cooking, the instructions on the bag say cook barley in boiling water at a ratio of 3 cups liquid to 1 cup grain for 50-60 minutes. I’ve just been soaking the raw grains (1 cup grains & 2 cups water) overnight. Then I add a pinch of salt and bring grains plus soaking water to a boil and then let simmer covered for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. They cook much faster after soaking! This yields about 2 cups of cooked grain, and it will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. I’ve never kept the blended pudding in the fridge, as I always eat all of it right away. :) I think they would be great for you to take to work. I would probably just keep some cooked grains in the fridge (wheat berries work great as well), and then blend them at night with your mix-ins and store in fridge. Once you’re ready to eat at work, you could just pop the pudding in the microwave for a minute or two if you want to eat it warm, maybe adding a little milk or other non-dairy beverage if the pudding gets dry. I’m interested to see if they travel well – let me know. Enjoy!.

nutritiousisdelicious February 27, 2009 at 5:07 pm

yay carbs!!!
that comic is hilarious!!

glidingcalm February 27, 2009 at 5:43 pm

avocado! nice!!

you are too cool for school with your breakfasts. seriously am SO envious. i gotta try your mixes! too bad i dont have any egg whites in the fridge!!

HAPPY FRIDAY LOVELY LADY!!! you are the best! :)

kaneil February 27, 2009 at 7:07 pm

Such a small world! Get your behind to CO soon, b/c I know we will be real live friends! I started off at Hillsboro since we moved in the middle of the year, but transferred to Father Ryan for Jr and Sr year. I know a lot of people that went to BA – so crazy! What year did you graduate?

I’ve never tried the Irish Creme before – I would try anything from there right now…but there isn’t one near us! FYI – there’s one at the Denver Airport and then 15 miles south of town. How far is too far to drive for TCBY? hahaha

Have a great weekend!

Kaneil, balanceisbest

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 28, 2009 at 10:09 am

Kaneil, if you makes you feel better, I’ve driven 20 miles to Cool Springs for Dunkin Donuts coffee. :)

I’m old…class of ’94.

Sammie February 28, 2009 at 4:53 am

What a great Avocado dessert. I have seen it used in frosting before. I believe due to it’s fat content it is a good substitute for such ingredients in recipes. Have a great weekend.

polly February 28, 2009 at 7:28 am

I have a not-so-secret…

Heather is a sweet muffin who is go-juss and talented and has a kindred spirit love for almond buttah with her pal up north. ;)

XOXO Happy weekend, H! XOXO

Sweetie Pie February 28, 2009 at 10:31 am

Those crepes look amazing, and the chocolate oat pudding is genius! Yum!

Nick February 28, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Those crepes are stunning! I’ve only got vanilla whey protein but I can’t see that being bad right? These are a must try. My favorite secret ingredient is to use cinnamon in savory dishes!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 28, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Nick,
I think vanilla whey would just fine in the crepes. Cinnamon in savory dishes – I love it…to bad my husband is allergic. I usually just sprinkle some on top of my portion as it is my FAVORITE spice.

Sarah February 28, 2009 at 12:38 pm

mmm, those crepes are beautiful. and that idea for chocolate frosting with avocado sounds amazing!! i LOVE avocado, so i bet the texture of that frosting would be out of this world.

Kelly Turner February 28, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Johnny’s seasoning. Thats my secret ingredient

Kelly Turner