Full of Cheese…But Not for Long

by HEAB on February 28, 2009

Pancake Week continued with yesterday’s breakfast after an intense upper body workout…where I was UNABLE to do a 3 minute plank hold.  Guess my body isn’t ready to take on the 3 minute plank 2 days in a row. Not yet, anyway. :)

Sweet & Savory Protein Crepes

Sweet & Savory Protein Crepes

Nothing like some egg yolk drenched crepe to get your day started, huh?  Another delicious protein packed brekkie.  The toppings included one egg, Smart Balance Light, peanut butter, walnuts, raisins, and maple syrup.  The stats: 549 calories, 20 grams of fat (34%), 22 grams of carbs (16%), 65 grams of protein (50%).

Friday’s Pudding:

Wannabe pumpkin Ice-cream

Wannabe pumpkin Ice-cream

In my food processor, I combined 1 cup of pumpkin with 1/2 frozen banana, 2 cubes of frozen coconut milk, and pumpkin pie spice.  Then I stuck it in the freezer a la Erin in hopes of eating some pumpkin ice-cream an hour later.  After 30 minutes, I couldn’t take it anymore and dove into my pumpkin soft serve. Delicious, not to mention dairy AND soy free!

Breakfast came early this morning as I had to work the desk at my office today.  So, instead of celebrating pancake week, I celebrated with my favorite brick in the belly bowl of 3/4 cup oat bran blended with 1 oz. vanilla soy milk and topped with 1 spoonful of peanut butter and 1 spoonful of almond walnut butter.  YUM and filling.  What more could you ask for in a brekkie?

Nut butter double love!

Nut butter double love!

Starved after getting home from work at 2 PM, I raided our stock of Laughing Cow Light cheese since tomorrow is day 1 of my dairy free-journey.

First course: crumbled veggie burger with cheese & BBQ sauce atop a bed of wilted spinach

First course: crumbled homemade veggie burger with cheese & BBQ sauce atop a bed of wilted spinach

And then came dessert:

This is what happens when you don't eat lunch until 2 PM: pumpkin cheesecake crepes.

This is what happens when you don't eat lunch until 2 PM: Pumpkin cheesecake crepes.

Yeah, you knew I’d get the pancakes in sometime today, didn’t ya?  Still very hungry after my veggie burger action, I whipped up a batch of Justine inspired pumpkin protein crepes. I simply added 1/4 cup pumpkin to the batter, and topped each crepe with 1 Laughing Cow Light cheese wedge, peanut butter, carob chips, and maple syrup.  Yep, that did it.  I was full.

Tonight, Chris are I are dining with friends at our favorite Ethiopian restaurant. They make their own cottage cheese, and I cannot wait to eat some. I think after today, I definitely will have had my fill of dairy.  I’m anxious to see how my body does without it over the next few weeks.

A big shout out to sweet Caroline over at Banana Cabana, Emily over at The Health Nut, and Jenn, my favorite Eating Bender for presenting me with the following award.  I am so honored to be recognized by these amazing bloggers.  Please stop by their sites and say “Hi”.  You shall not be disappointed as I love all these girls & their blogs!

3284008968_5d0fa1929b_o1Last but, not least.  To all my fellow bloggers, please don’t forget to submit your favorite recipes to Foods That Fit for the Blogger e-Cookbook by March 15.  Read all about it here.  Many thanks to Abbie for putting this together. Can’t wait for my copy!

jenngirl February 28, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Mmm nothing better than double nut butter on oats! Love it!

Have a good time tonight!

VeggieGirl February 28, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Heather, if we meet up, can you bring all your puddings please??? :-D

Oooh Ethiopian food tonight?? Nice!! Enjoy!!

ttfn300 February 28, 2009 at 4:42 pm

i tried ethiopian a couple weekends ago, it was AWESOME!!! enjoy :) and your pumpkin cheesecake crepes have me drooling…

Sarah February 28, 2009 at 4:47 pm

I almost feel sorry for you not hitting that 3 minute plank hold. Poor baby ;)

Thanks for asking about the back! It actually was KEEEEELING me during the whole stomach flu bout, but everything was hurting then, so I wasn’t surprised. It feels MUCH better today.

Mmm…punkin’ soft serve…

Have some warm pita bread for me tonight, kay?

Jenn (eating bender) February 28, 2009 at 4:49 pm

Girl, the fact that you can even DO a 3-minute plank makes me green with envy. You got it goin’ on ;)

I love these protein crepes. I’m going to make a note in my Gmail “task list” (gotta love it) to try them either tomorrow or Monday. You know, along with one of those freakin’ amazing puddings. Or should I say, soft serve?

Have fun at the Ethiopian restaurant! And congrats on that award! I am very happy to hold the title “Heather’s Favorite Eating Bender” :) In fact, I am honored!

Maggie February 28, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Can you cook for me? I love everything that you make. Ethiopian foods sounds really fun… I think that might be one of the only cuisines I’ve never tried (as far as I know… I’m sure I’ve probably had random Ethiopian dishes but I’ve never been to a restaurant).

I’m gonna have to try that soft-serve idea. I like ss better than normal ice cream anyway. Choco-vanilla swirl with multi-colored sprinkles is a comfort food of mine. Childhood memories :)

justine February 28, 2009 at 5:19 pm

HHmmm….Ethiopian restaurant? That sounds interesting. Which one is it? Hope you liked the pumpkin crepe! Have a good weekend.

~Justine

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 28, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Hey Justine, did you have a problem with the pumpkin crepe sticking to your skillet? Mine was a mess, but still delicious – the pumpkin seem to take away some of the rubbery taste. :) We went to Horn of Africa tonight on M’boro Road. One of our favorites!

jane February 28, 2009 at 5:22 pm

that homemade veggie burger looked awesome! by the way, thanks so much for blogging about oat bran- both its nutritional value and all of the yummy ways to make it into breakfast. you made me so curious that i tried it and i LOVE it! i like the consistency so much better than oats, plus it cooks faster and i’m on a limited time schedule in the morning so its perfect. no more instant oatmeal packages for this girl! thanks so much heather :)

and also thanks for commenting on my boyfriend’s architectural posts on our blog. i know he loves getting the feedback, and sometimes its frustrating cause people are more likely to comment about the food posts than his artwork. you pretty much ROCK!

Emily February 28, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Hey hey, thanks for the shout-out!

You are officially pancake queen of NPW.
The pumpkin pudding looks so smooth and creamy, and the pumpkin cheesecake crepes…get out! Where do you think of this amazing stuff?

I’m planning on answering your coconut oil question soon, too. It’s funny you asked because I’ve been looking into that recently since it’s one of the nutritional therapies my dad’s naturopathic doctor recommended.

Graze With Me February 28, 2009 at 5:41 pm

I’m very intrigued by the pancakes, they look awesome. I just found your blog recently and am very anxious to try some of your pudding recipes. I read that you’re moving to Colorado soon, which is where I’ve lived all my life. I lived in the western mountains for 18 years and now live in Fort Collins. It’s a wonderful place and so beautiful year round. I hope all works out for you in the move!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 28, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Graze With Me,
Thanks for reading my blog, and yes, you must try some pudding soon. Good stuff. Colorado!!!! So excited to get out there, and so happy to hear that you’ve loved living there. I need more sunshine in my life, and your state has plenty of it. :) We spent the summer living in Manitou Springs and had the most amazing time. We’re hoping to move there and live near all the trails as I’m a big hiker, and husband is a runner. We’re having an open house tomorrow, and so hopefully our place here in Nashville will sell soon. Although we do love it here, we can’t wait to move West.

Shelby February 28, 2009 at 5:46 pm

I still can’t believe you can do 3 minutes! I’m lucky to get mroe than 30 seconds!

That pumpkin ice cream needs to get in my belly now! Did you just freeze the coconut milk in ice cube trays?

Have fun tonight and I can’t wait to see what happens with the dairy free month!

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 28, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Hey Shelby,
Yes, I just use ice-cube trays and then use the coconut milk cubes for ice-creams and smoothies all summer. So easy.

Anna February 28, 2009 at 6:49 pm

pumpkin cheesecake crepes = heaven.

staying away from dairy is the best dietary choice i think i’ve ever made!

brandi February 28, 2009 at 7:01 pm

I have GOT to buy some oatbran!

your puddings look so good all the time :)

BTW – i had a snack in honor of you today!

Elizabeth February 28, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Your pumpkin foods look amazing! Bot that pudding and the crepes sound so good.. everyday I can drool over your blog!

Have so much fun with your hubby tonight! I have no idea what Ethiopian food is like, but I cant wait to hear about it!

gina (fitnessista) February 28, 2009 at 8:22 pm

your ice cream is genius! can’t wait to see how the dairy free goes.. i’m thinking i could totally do it if i weren’t so deeply and madly in love with goat cheese
i’m doing hot yoga again tomorrow! i’ll be thinking about you :D i’ll also be sweating like a BEAST
hooray for your award (i love that it’s pink!) and love the oat bran. thanks again for introducing me to it!
have a wonderful night <3

erinbee February 28, 2009 at 8:40 pm

your food always looks smashing.

im adding you to my blogroll.
hope you dont mind.

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 28, 2009 at 8:54 pm

Erinbee, thanks for reading and for the blogroll listing. What is your blog. :) I need to stop by for a visit. :)

Matt February 28, 2009 at 8:42 pm

You might like pancakes even more than me!

cleanveggiex3 February 28, 2009 at 8:42 pm

holy smokes! LOVE all of the nut butters and pancakes.
just delicious :)

glidingcalm February 28, 2009 at 8:51 pm

i just added you to my bloggy roll! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter February 28, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Thanks Gliding Calm!

Melissa S. February 28, 2009 at 9:12 pm

oh, lovely lovely eats! everything looks great!!!

Dori February 28, 2009 at 10:02 pm

Pumpkin cheesecake crepes. You outdo yourself every time! I am so jealous!

erinbee March 1, 2009 at 1:55 am

oh sorry. i was leaving comments
but not with my blog linked. doh!

my blog hasnt much too it..yet. ;]
but perhaps you can help me along?

Lara March 1, 2009 at 4:47 am

Hi Heather, thanks for your comment about late night snacking. I wish I was as disciplined as you (though you should eat if you are hungry!). I guess the grass is always greener, eh? Balance–sounds so easy but it can be so hard!

Lauren March 1, 2009 at 6:18 am

I love the idea for the pumpkin ice cream!

Caroline F March 1, 2009 at 8:14 am

Wow, that pumpkin puddin looks divine!! : )

Erin March 1, 2009 at 8:27 am

I had the same problem with the pumpkin ice cream, haha. I wanted it immediately! Thanks for the shout out!
I also go nuts when I get a late lunch. Thursday I had a late lunch and I had a giant blob of hummus in my mouth before I even knew what happened!
Enjoy Ethiopian! I love it, but hardly ever remember that!

Justine March 1, 2009 at 8:57 am

Yes, I mentioned how hard they were to flip in the post! You have to be a seasoned pancake flipper (which I know you are). Its not for amateurs!!

~Justine

orangepop March 1, 2009 at 9:05 am

WOW!!! Yummy-in-my-tummy, Heather! I’ve been digging the “bring in my belly” 3/4 c. oats, too! Why are you giving up dairy???
Have a delicious Ethiopian meal- mmm, I’ve never had it but have plans to go to an authentic one nearby!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 1, 2009 at 9:15 am

Hey Oranepop! Happy Sunday my friend. Brick in the Belly – so good and filling, no? I’m going dairy free in March as I think all my cheese & yogurt consumption might be causing some stomach problems. I was lactose intolerant for a few years growing up, but then it seemed to go away. Perhaps it’s back? We’ll see.

Jenn (eating bender) March 1, 2009 at 10:50 am

I was going to wait until I posted to tell you but I can’t wait anymore! Guess who just made an incredible batch of chocolate Jay Robb protein crepes? Topped with PB2 icing and blueberries? HOLY YUM, Heather. Thank you!!

Sweetie Pie March 1, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Pumpkin Cheesecake Crepes? I’m sold. Those look fabulous!

Holly March 1, 2009 at 3:34 pm

I never wish I had a food processor more than I do RIGHT now! That pudding looks so delicious AND pretty. Wow.

I just discovered Laughing Cow cheese and I am never going back to the other side. It’s amazing!

I added you to my blog roll, too…hope that’s okay. :-) Enjoy your Sunday!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 1, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Holly. Yes, Laughing Cow is the best! We buy it in bulk at Costco. Thanks for adding me to your blogroll. I need to update mine in a major way. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday as well my friend.

Emma March 1, 2009 at 4:06 pm

oh man all of that food looks heavenly

-emma

Stephenie March 1, 2009 at 6:42 pm

A couple years ago I went to Costa Rica and gave myself come lovely traveler’s sickness from the dairy. Afterward for about 6mos or so I was totally lactose intolerant. I had to give up ice cream! Soy milk in the cereal! I’m happy to say it’s better now… but since then I’ve eliminated a bunch of dairy. Though, I am on a grilled cheese kick right now. But it’s cut out a lot of stomach issues for me. Hope it works for you!

erinbee March 1, 2009 at 7:01 pm

if i dont end up with an internship
[which at this point seems quite
likely] can i just come hang out and
eat almond butter with you. please!?

oh. and i forgot to mention earlier
that im totally diggin the pink locks.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 1, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Erinbee,
Come hang out with me anytime. I always keep a few extra jars of almond butter on hand. :)

Trish (girlatgym) March 1, 2009 at 9:43 pm

OMG! Everything looks so good!! :-) The crepes look like total heaven!

bobbi March 1, 2009 at 11:54 pm

oooo I want to try to make crepes, do you have the recipe?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 2, 2009 at 5:23 am

Bobbie,
This post has the recipe for the protein crepes. Enjoy!

Hangry Pants March 1, 2009 at 11:58 pm

I am certain would not even last 30 minutes with that goodness waiting in my freezer!!!!

Congrats on the award. :D

Jen March 2, 2009 at 4:40 am

Congrats on the award! :D :D :D Yummy eats as always!! the frozen pumpkin idea is great!!

Sammie March 2, 2009 at 8:56 am

Your pumpkin ice cream looks so good. I love the frozen coconut milk ice cube idea. Do you just use an ice cube tray?

Mara March 2, 2009 at 9:54 am

Wow that oat bran w/2 nut butters really sounds delicious and like it would keep you satisfied oh, forever.

Ethiopian food is fantastic!!! Enjoy!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 2, 2009 at 10:23 am

Your pancakes are out of control! I’m jealous since my weekend attempt was lame. The recipe sounded genius in my head, but hey live and learn.

Congrats on your award!

Marians eats. The Italian way March 2, 2009 at 10:42 am

I can’t wait to see what you ate at that restaurant! As usaul, your eats are simply amazing:)

Lee of For the love of peanut butter March 2, 2009 at 5:13 pm

hey heather! Id love to know how to make my own veg burger and protein crepes. i will have access to my own kitchen next week during spring break and cant wait to use ur recipes!!