Bind What? Are You Serious?

by HEAB on March 5, 2009

Lots of binding this morning in yoga.  Do you find that you can totally reach around and grab your hand on one side, but not on the other?  So interesting how our bodies work that way.  Anyway, yoga class was perfect this morning, and I’m not nearly as sore now.  Yesterday, I was a bit apprehensive (read scared) about these next few weeks as I was hurting!  Heck, I didn’t even know how I would make it through another day, but our teacher promised we would feel amazing by Friday. After today, I’m thinking I need to trust her more!  We were told not to miss Saturday’s 2-hour class as it would include plenty of stretching, and there was mention of a 15 minute Frog pose…is that possible?!?

During the last few minutes of class, our instructor told us to increase our water intake and to make sure that we were getting protein and potassium in our diets. Roger that:

Plate O' Protein & Potassium

Plate O' Protein & Potassium

Yeah, I gave in to another plate of protein crepes today with Smart Balance Light, peanut butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, and 1 mashed banana al la Kath.  Mmm…spreadable naners.  Delicious!  The stats: 457 calories, 13 grams of fat (27%), 33 grams of carbs (29%), and 48 grams of protein (44%).

For lunch, I prepared one of my favorite meals as of late after seeing it at La Belle Vegan (Love that Shelby!), and a big shout to Happy Herbivore for serving as my chickpea muse. :)

Peanut butter makes it betta!

Peanut butter makes it betta!

After breakfast, I combined one can of drained and rinsed chickpeas with 1/4 cup Annie’s Teriyaki sauce, 2 shakes of cayenne pepper, 1 Stevia packet, and 1 TBSP of peanut butter and then let everything marinate in the fridge all morning.  When I was ready for lunch, I brought the mix to a boil, reduced the heat, and let it simmer until most of the liquid was absorbed.  Served with a side of roasted kale = happiness in my belly.

Leroy, my favorite mailman, left an abundance of goodness in the mailbox yesterday.

Love packages!

Love packages!

Sweet Casaundra of A Pinch of This, A Dash of That sent me several goodies.  So thoughtful Cassie…The Funky Monkey fruits are already gone. Yum. Thank you!

Before I go, just wanted to let all my fellow bloggies now that I moved my blogroll to its own separate page.  I’m really bad about keeping it updated, and so if you’re not on there, please let me know. :)

P.S. Y’all know I love my almond butter, but Trader Joe’s peanut butter has hijacked my nut butter addiction these days. My theory is it’s laced with crack.

Sarah March 5, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Binding always makes me feel like I’m playing Twister with myself. Good part is, I always win.

I was skimming your post (uh, I mean, reading it slowly and carefully) and thought, “Who’s Roger? And what did he do with Jay Robb?”

I hope Jay is safe and knows he is lusted, uh, I mean loved.

Glad yoga is getting better every day!!!

Mara March 5, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I have to say, I have no idea what you mean by “binding” but I do know what you mean about the difference in flexibility!! My right side is FAR more flexible than my left!

Maggie March 5, 2009 at 1:42 pm

TJ’s peanut butter’s got me too.

I think your lunch is going to be my lunch… I’m inspired :) And craving kale chips (well I have swiss chard but same difference).

happyherbivore March 5, 2009 at 1:43 pm

xxo!

Emily March 5, 2009 at 2:13 pm

I’m definitely more flexible on one side than the other. It’s so weird!
Crepes look amazing, as always.

I need to try the chickpea + pb combo. I love both ingredients so much that I’m sure I will love it. And now I have more excuses to buy mass quantities of chickpeas at the grocery (they probably think I’m nuts).

Hope you have a great afternoon and evening, Heather!

Beadie @ What I Ate Yesterday March 5, 2009 at 2:24 pm

I have never even done frog pose, let alone hold it for 15 minutes!

I always find it facinating when one side of my body can do that the other can’t. It just goes to prove how imbalanced our lives can be.

peanutbutterandjuli March 5, 2009 at 2:25 pm

WOOHOO! Go PB! I’m sure Almond Butter will forgive you someday… I’m definitely more flexible on one side too- bizarre. I just bought some eggs so I intend on trying those crepes soon. Yum yum yum!

Anna March 5, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Those crepes look AMAZING. Really, no day would be complete without peanut butter, banana, and some leafy greens. Yum!

I love it when the mailman brings me treats!

Hope you’re having an awesome day!

Erin March 5, 2009 at 2:45 pm

The left side of my body has always been useless! I can’t wait to hear more about yoga!
I love roasted kale, its addicting.

ttfn300 March 5, 2009 at 3:00 pm

i’m with you on that tj’s pb. but have you tried 365 brand?? i think that wins. :)

hopiek March 5, 2009 at 3:01 pm

oh YUM! on every level…lunch and breakfast look amazing, as always. I still have yet to try my hand at protein crepes…but SOOn, I can’t take how great they look…and the stats, duh! :)

eatnrun.wordpress.com

brandi March 5, 2009 at 3:01 pm

i love hearing about your yoga class – 15 min. frog pose sounds crazy!

Shelby March 5, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I’ll have to try TJ’s PB, there is so many though! What kind do you have?

Ooo, so glad I could bring inspiration to your creative cooking, those chickpeas look YUM! I’m going to add PB next time!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 5, 2009 at 4:00 pm

Shelby, get the unsalted crunchy peanut butter from Trader Joe’s…amazing! Then add it to your chickpeas. :)

Kelly Turner March 5, 2009 at 3:17 pm

binding sounds dirty

Kelly Turner

Anna March 5, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Yea i’m definitely better at binding on one side than the other. TJ’s valencia flax AB AND their AB both have the key to my heart at the moment.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 5, 2009 at 3:49 pm

I love the sound/look of the chickpeas! I assume the taste is just as good. :)

Sweetie Pie March 5, 2009 at 4:03 pm

I’m absolutely more flexible on one side than I am on the other!!

Your eats and treats look fabulous! :-)

Sarah March 5, 2009 at 4:22 pm

glad your muscles are recovering!!

that chickpea + pb dish looks amaaaaaaazing.

bobbi March 5, 2009 at 4:28 pm

what a fun package, can you belive I have only tried one CLIFF BAR flavor…lol

eatingbirdfood March 5, 2009 at 4:34 pm

15 minutes FROG- that’s crazy! Please let me know how it goes.

I seriously must try the protein crepes- they are looking better each time I see them on here :)

Erin March 5, 2009 at 5:01 pm

I buy the crack theory.
I wish those crepes could be made without eggs! They always look so good on your blog!
We did downward dog for 5 minutes in a yin class once and I COULD BARELY STAND IT! I can’t imagine 15 of frog pose!

VeggieGirl March 5, 2009 at 5:06 pm

SCRUMPTIOUSNESS!!

Melissa S. March 5, 2009 at 5:57 pm

i’ve never had tj’s nut butters, but i wouldn’t doubt it’s laced w/ lots of crack to get us to come back…those pb bars have me raging to my mom in CA to get and send them to me. laced w/ crack i say. damn them!

Kristie March 5, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Chickpeas with nut butter marinade? Wowza, now that sounds tasty. I’ve got to try it!

I haaaate asking this but I’d love to be a part of your lovely blogroll if you would so let me. I feel like such a lameo asking that. But I heart you! Haha

By the way, the other day in class I saw a girl with long dark hair with pink streaks in it and it immediately reminded me of you!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 5, 2009 at 9:01 pm

Kristie,
I am so sorry you were not on my blogroll as I’ve been reading your blog for quite some time now. You’ve been officially added, and I’m so glad to know that you think of me when you see pink hair. Heart you too. :)

Erica March 5, 2009 at 6:53 pm

ow! Let me know if you like those funky monkey products!

CaSaundra March 5, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Sooo glad you loved the treats! The dried fruit is the bomb isn’t it?! =)

Marians eats. The Italian way March 5, 2009 at 8:46 pm

Lunch sounds really yummy! I took your comment to heart and think I will be switching to wordpress:)
I can’t stand when they lace food with crack!:) Hah!

Andrea [bella eats] March 5, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Love me some spreadable naners…I’ve been eating them that way all week too!

So jealous of all your luscious yoga!!!

And I totally agree with you about TJ’s PB…it is some GOOD stuff.

Have a great Friday, Heather!

Michelle Hisae March 5, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Those “pancakes” look so good – I have all the ingredients in my fridge, so I just may HAVE to make it tomorrow morning. A Friday treat, why not?!

Dori March 5, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Every ingredient with the crepes sounds so good individually and even better all together like that. The picture looks amazing as always!

elise March 5, 2009 at 10:05 pm

can you PLEASE come over to my apartment and make me your breakfast. i want, i want!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 6, 2009 at 5:22 am

Elise,
Only if you promise to share your carob covered raisins with me. :)

Holly March 6, 2009 at 7:40 am

Okay I’m officially buying TJ’s PB when my PB runs out. I’m easily convinced!

15 minutes of Frog Pose? I have no idea what that pose is…but doing 15 minutes of any pose? That is just unreal. You rock, girl. :-)

healthy ashley March 6, 2009 at 8:26 am

Glad you had such a good yoga session yesterday!

And I can’t wait to try these protein crepes. When I do, I want to top mine like yours!

Hangry Pants March 6, 2009 at 10:50 am

15 minutes of frog sounds horrible and wonderful!

I am definitely tighter on my right side, especially my right shoulder.

lisaheartspizza March 6, 2009 at 11:16 am

Hi Heather,
just wanted to say I think your blog and story are great! You have me on a serious almond butter craving!!! I don’t know where I can find this Barney Butter but I think I would love the chunky version. I just started blogging myself and would love to add you to my site but I still need to figure out how to do that. Good luck with your yoga challenge, and I can totally sympathize with your hamstring injury/lack of activity; I just tore my ACL boo! Look forward to reading more-Lisa

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 6, 2009 at 2:14 pm

Lisaheartspizza,
Thank you for your kind words regarding my blog, and I hope you indulge that almond craving soon! So sorry about the torn ACL. :( Are you going to have surgery? What is the URL for you blog as I’d like to come visit. :)

Elizabeth March 6, 2009 at 12:30 pm

I have no idea what binding is… but I know what frog pose is and I cant imagine 15 minutes of it! Good luck! Enjoy the rest of your workshop. I think its awesome you’re doing it.

Once again, your crepes look amazing!

petitfoodie March 6, 2009 at 1:06 pm

Your yoga class sounds great! BUt my goodness 15 min in frog pose?? You’ve got to be kidding?! lol!! Those crepes look very interesting!

petitfoodie.wordpress.com

Amanda March 6, 2009 at 1:39 pm

MMM binding is up there with pigeon pose.

I think you should open a restaurant specializing in crepes and whipped grains!

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) March 6, 2009 at 2:06 pm

The crepes look so good!

Jenn (eating bender) March 6, 2009 at 5:44 pm

I definitely know what your talking about with the reach around hand! It’s pretty funny!

Love those protein crepes. Kath introduced me to the mashed banana last year, and it’s awesome. Your crepes remind me of oatmeal pancakes, which I haven’t made in quite a while. I need to whip up a batch soon!

I love that you combined the chickpea dish with PEANUT BUTTER. That just makes it sound 1,000,000x more delicious! And I still have yet to try kale…

Great package! And I officially need to try Trader Joe’s Peanut Butter :) Everyone always raves about it. I wonder how it compares to my Maranatha.

Lara March 7, 2009 at 5:16 am

Ok, I have to try the protein crepes. I am a novice with protein powder–do you recommend Jay Robb?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 7, 2009 at 8:16 am

Hey Lara,
Yes, I prefer Jay Robb because the company uses no artificial ingredients, and their powders are sweetened with Stevia. Good stuff!

Gina March 7, 2009 at 11:44 am

Yay peanut butter!! I haven’t had any in awhile though…its a good thing though. Glad you’re enjoying the yoga!