Calories Schmalories…Just Eat Your Oat Bran

by HEAB on March 8, 2009

Ready to get confused?

After my Oat Bran vs. Rolled oats, many of you emailed or commented that your specific brand of oat bran had different nutritional information listed compared to Quaker Oat’s numbers.  After doing a little research of my own, I found that every single brand I looked at had different stats.

The following table shows all nutritional information for 4 different brands of oat bran based on a 1/2 cup serving size:

Brand

QUAKER OATS

BOB’S RED MILL

TRADER JOE’S

WHOLE FOODS BULK BIN

Weight 40 grams 58.5 grams 60 grams 47 grams
Calories 150 225 195 120
Fat 3 g 3.75 g 4.5 g 3.5 g
Carbohydrates 25 g 39 g 36 g 31 g
Fiber 6 g 9 g 9 g 7 g
Protein 7 g 10.5 g 10.5 g 8 g
Calories per gram 3.75 3.85 3.25 2.6

The goal of gathering this information was to try and figure out the differences in calories listed.  However, when compiling all the statistics, the discrepancy that stood out to me was the difference in weight per 1/2 cup serving. If you look at calories per gram, there is not a huge difference, except in the Whole Foods bulk bin oats. I weighed my bulk bin oat bran, and found that 1/2 cup actually weighed EXACTLY 60 grams, not the 47 listed.  So who knows if any of the information listed on the bulk bin is correct.

img_1620

As far as differences in calories go, I did receive an email from Quaker Oats Consumer Relations stating the following:

The FDA has specific guidelines or specifications for hot cereals, and products are analyzed and calculated for nutrients like carbohydrates, fat, and protein as part of these guidelines.  The calories are calculated based on a nutritional analysis of the product which can measure to whole numbers and fractions, i.e. total carbohydrate might be 25.3 grams but rounded rules are applied for simplicity in the nutrition fact label resulting in 25 grams.  With that said, in the Quaker Oats Oat Bran Hot Cereal, the calories are calculated using approved FDA methods including rounding. HOWEVER, the calories assigned to insoluble fiber are omitted as this fiber is not used in the body.

I’m assuming all the rounding of numbers coupled with the fact that insoluble fiber is not counted causes the differences in calorie counts.  Small Bites recently went into great detail on this topic, and you can read about it here. However, I’m still confused with the differences in weight per serving.

Now, I wasn’t going to go out a purchase each brand and weigh them. However, I am curious.  So, if you have any of the above brands sitting in your cabinet, and you own a food scale, please let me know how much 1/2 cup weighs.

That being said, I’ve decided I’m not going to worry about the differences in calories.  Heck, I don’t even know which label to trust even if I wanted to worry.  I’ll admit, I freaked out for about a minute when I realized my usual 3/4 cup oat bran might contain 293 (based on Trader Joe’s numbers) instead of the 225 calories I thought it did, but then I quickly got over it and made myself a big bowl for breakfast. :)

This post got me thinking…why should I care how many calories/fats/carbs/proteins are in my breakfast?  After several weeks of trying out different meals every morning, I’ve learned what works for me.  Breakfasts higher in fat tend to keep me satiated. So, as long as I’m eating nutritious food with a bit of fat in the mix, I’m NOT going to worry about specific numbers.  Life is too short.  Therefore, there will be no more stats listed for my breakfasts, and I challenge all of you to stop calculating.  Simply eat wholesome healthy foods and stop when you’re full…and don’t forget to savor every bite!

On that note, I will leave you with some of my favorite oat bran bowls.  Enjoy my friends!

Oat Bran with raw almond butter and walnuts
Oat Bran with raw almond butter, walnuts, and chocolate soy milk
Strawberry shortcake oat bran
Strawberry shortcake oat bran
Apple pie oat bran
Apple pie oat bran
Blueberry cobble oat bran
Blueberry cobble oat bran
Pom flavored oat bran with cottage cheese and carob chips
POM flavored oat bran with cottage cheese and carob chips
Oat bran topped with raw chocolate pudding and peanut butter
Oat bran topped with raw chocolate pudding and peanut butter
The classic Brick In My Belly double nut butter oat bran...my favorite. :)
The classic “Brick In My Belly” double nut butter oat bran…my favorite. :)

jenngirl March 8, 2009 at 10:58 am

Yep, I’m so glad I stopped using a food scale for those very reasons. In the end it doesn’t matter, and you just end up stressing yourself out over really small issues.

I LOVE double nut butter combos! Always the best ;)

VeggieGirl March 8, 2009 at 11:05 am

Haha amen for just ENJOYING the food, sans weighing/counting – it all looks daaaaaaaaaaamn good :-)

Chocolate-Covered Katie March 8, 2009 at 11:16 am

I think the whole idea of counting cals is ridiculous because you never know what’s correct and what’s a misprint/miscalculation/fiber-subtraction/etc.

If you add up the total amounts in foods (fat grams times 9, carb and protein grams times 4), many many many foods don’t list correct calories. Then there’s that whole weird fiber thing. Did you know that Fiber One Cereal contains more calories in Europe and Canada just because those places have different labeling practices? It’s quite comical actually. Keep eatin your oat bran, Heather! One thing that’s indisputable: oat bran is healthy, no matter the calories ;)

polly March 8, 2009 at 11:18 am

Amen, sista!! :) XOXO

Calories shmalories… eat and say yummy. XOXO Heather, your blog is bright spot on this web… love ya like almond butter spoonfuls!

Gina March 8, 2009 at 11:25 am

I hear where you’re coming from, but I still like to keep a rough number in my head. I calculate more exactly for my blog, but its mainly just to show that you can eat a balanced, healthy, protein filled, vegan diet. I have counted everything before, and it does indeed drive me crazy.

In my day to day life, I do get a rough number and add it up at the end of the day…it takes me like 30 seconds (I use a calculator). I don’t record it or keep tabs, its just to keep myself in check. I’m not saying that one should or shouldn’t count calories, but I think its important to do what works for you. Not that you were asking me anyway…

On another note, you really starting to make me want to go buy some oat bran next time I go to my store with the bulk foods section.

Melissa S. March 8, 2009 at 11:41 am

yay for not weighing/counting!

i had a food scale for two days long time ago,and then smashed i to smitherines when i found out how bad it was going to be for me. haha…

because really, all those oat bran concoctions look soooooooooo great! esp the chocolate ones.

Michelle March 8, 2009 at 12:43 pm

Thanks for the information/post, Heather! I know we have been communicating back and forth about this topic . . . but you are absolutely correct . . . at the end of the day, the important thing is that we are eating healthy, wholesome foods. Thanks for the reminder on that, because I know I can tend to get caught up calorie counting. I need to trust myself more to move beyond that. I love your blog, Thanks for communicating with me, researching and most importantly, putting things back into perspective. :) Oh, and it was because of you that I even tried oat bran. I love it! I now switch between oatmeal and oat bran, just to mix it up a bit each morning. Definitely my favorite meal of the day!

jane March 8, 2009 at 12:51 pm

what a great point you make! i agree with you that calorie counting is futile and, in the end, quite frustrating. and i’m so glad that i saw oat bran on your blog because now that i’ve tried it, i don’t think i’ll ever go back to oatmeal!

your combos look GREAT by the way. one question, though- have you ever used cocoa powder in your oatbran? i tried adding it during the cooking in an attempt to make a chocolatey bowl of breakfast, but it didn’t turn out good at all. i added probably a tablespoon (i don’t measure anything so i really don’t know) of baking cocoa powder and it just tasted funky and not chocolatey at all. my mom thought maybe it was because the cocoa has no sugar, but i even added some agave and that didn’t seem to make it a ton better. i mean it wasn’t inedible (especially with a big ole spoon of peanut butter swirled in hehe) but it definitely didn’t cure my chocolate craving. any advice? thanks!

coco March 8, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Thanks for the little research you did for all of us. It was interesting to know that each brand’s oat bran weight differently for 1/2 cup serving!
I use Tj’s and it’s just as creamy as i like so I guess i won’t change the brand just because others have lower cal. You’re so right, life is short, why we stress out because of 40-50 cal more?! really insane now that i think about it. We have so many things to stress out about, so. food should be satisfying and as long as we eat intuitively and make right choices, it’s more than okay.
All your oat bran variations look so good! where can I find recipes for them? I’m joining the oat bran fans club now! So i need more ideas!!! :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 8, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Coco,
Welcome to the Oat Bran Fan Club! :)
Here are links to the recipes for my oat bran bowls:

Brick in my Belly: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/02/02/life-does-goes-on-without-dairy/
Strawberry Shortcake and Apple Pie: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/02/03/breakfast-rut-again/
Blueberry Cobbler: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/02/04/he-told-me-to/
Oat Bran with raw chocolate pudding: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/03/06/morning-o-mousse/

Enjoy!

glidingcalm March 8, 2009 at 1:36 pm

yum. those bowls look heavenly and i love your view of healthy eating.

word.

ttfn300 March 8, 2009 at 1:45 pm

i threw oat bran into my oatmeal today!! and i blended it. AND i made your chocolate pudding :) better still, it’s almost 60 in Boston today and my run was fabulous. happy day!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 8, 2009 at 1:49 pm

TTFN,
Sounds like a perfect day to me! Glad you finally blended. :)

Erica March 8, 2009 at 1:53 pm

I’m with ya- total craziness that all the stats are so different! I’d eat all of those creations – whatever the stats! They look so yummy- its like a bonus that they’re healthy

justine March 8, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Gosh I love oat bran! Thanks so much for introducing me! SO funny you were doing all that searching. I was doing the same thing. Mine is a 1/3 serving and says 120 cals so I was just trying to figure out what a 1/2 cup would be and I found lots of conflicting info. on oat bran. Hmm???

~Justine

Shelby March 8, 2009 at 2:40 pm

I really like this post. I’m starting to learn to eat intuitively and you have so many positive words of encouragement I think I might just take that challenge and not measure!

I have your Strawberry Shortcake Oat Bran on my meal plan this week! I’m so excited =)

Sarah March 8, 2009 at 3:16 pm

i love this post, and i love that you’re throwing calorie counts out in favor of satisfaction! and awesome job sleuthing so you could come to the conclusion that that was the best action to take.

i’m willing my avocados to ripen RIGHT NOW so that i can get going on some of that chocolate mousse!

Sarah March 8, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Yeehaw! I’m glad there will be no more stats…I stink at math, and like you said calories shmalories!

Thanks for all the research and the killer chart. I need to get some more oat bran and we are actually going to Whole Foods tonight. I figured out why my Quaker might taste a little off…I bought it before Livy was born! Ew.

Have a good night HEAB!!!

Holly March 8, 2009 at 4:16 pm

I love this post, Heather – thank you. As I’ve said, it’s definitely going FAR outside my comfort zone to each such a hefty breakfast…but I’m happier, I’m full, and it tastes damn good (oh, and it’s healthy). So when I think about it like that, it’s a no brainer!

Your pictures make me sooooo hungry. :-)

Lara (Thinspired) March 8, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Oh, I am such a sucker for nutrition facts. VERY interesting to me that different 1/2 cup measurements came in at different weights. I’ve been testing that lately with different products.
When I track down some oat bran I’ll send you the stats ;) Your lovely photo gallery will really come in handy then, too! :D

Dori March 8, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Interesting info! You are so right not to worry about the cals and just eat the most satisfying breakfast — if you eat a breakfast that doesn’t fill you up you’re just going to snack more anyway and up the calories that way.

All you oat bran pictures look so heavenly and mushy and I so wish I could have them.

Heather (be well & take care) March 8, 2009 at 5:49 pm

How interesting! I’ll have to check mine out. I need to get a new food scale since my really cheap one just died. What brand is yours? It’s teal and pretty!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 8, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Heather,
Here is the link to my food scale: http://www.amazon.com/Oxo-Grips-Scale-Pull-Out-Display/dp/B000WJMTNA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1227456330&sr=8-3.
It’s really nice, especially for baking recipes!

Graze With Me March 8, 2009 at 6:07 pm

I completely agree, stop this counting madness! I always count my calories up until dinner so I know where I’m at but I’ve been reading Intuitive Eating lately and it has totally changed my attitude. I think my biggest hurdle is that I have to bring my morning food and lunch to work with me so knowing how much to bring can be tricky!

Jenn (eating bender) March 8, 2009 at 6:29 pm

Heather, once again you are full of information and inspiration. I love that you got a response from Quaker Oats consumer relations for us. I actually had my FIRST EVER bowl of oat bran yesterday! It was amazing and I can’t wait to post about it. I used the Whole Foods bulk bin and bought what I thought was just enough for two full “1/2 cup” servings of 47g. I have a food scale and ended up having to weigh it out because I thought I had bought enough for two servings, but then realized I had exactly 47g. I didn’t realize how voluminous oat bran was until that moment! And now you’re saying that there’s actually 60g in a 1/2 cup? It really does seem like the better deal in terms of volume compared to old fashioned oats, and it kept me full all morning yesterday, so you got me sold. Especially looking at your freakin’ delicious pictures :) Oh yeah, and I think I like the texture better, too. So many positives about oat bran!

I also have to tell you that because of you and Katie, I went out to Target and bought a hand blender. Now I’m not sure if you use a hand blender to make your delicious bowls of blended grains, but I think the thing that’s stopping me is that I just don’t want to clean out the Vita-Mix all the time. I think the hand blender will help. Thoughts?

Last but not least, THANKS for the tip on dark cocoa powder in my coffee! I am sipping on it as we speak, and it is fabulous. I can’t wait to finish off my huge container of Nestle so that I can start doing it every day. I’ll have to look for unsweetened whipped cream, too. You are so right on the necessity of having all the fixins’ ;)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 8, 2009 at 7:04 pm

Jenn,
So glad you’re loving the oat bran. I’m obsessed – love the texture. It’s all I want, but I still have a good bit of rolled oats left in my Costco sized Quaker Oats box. I’m trying to work my way through those, and then it will be all oat bran all the time! :)

Hooray for some blending action! Now, I do use my hand blender for oat bran or rolled oats – makes them extra creamy and great for when you add any mix-ins (pumpkin, yogurt, etc.). However, I have a pretty cheap model, and when I’ve tried to use it for blending grains, they shoot all over the kitchen. So, for my barley and wheat berry concoctions, I use my Vita-Mix. I think Katie uses her hand blender for all of her blended bowls. So, give it a try. Can’t wait to read about your blending adventures!

PS – You probably already know this, but I find the easiest way to clean the Vita-Mix is to add some water and a few drops of dishwashing liquid, put the top on, and turn it on for a few seconds. Then rinse. Easy!

Jenn (eating bender) March 8, 2009 at 7:12 pm

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly :) I love that tip on the Vita-Mix. I remember hearing it from the Costco lady the first time I ever saw one – it really does make clean-up a cinch! I will keep that in mind about the wheatberries because I have a huge stock of them that I never use. I think the Vita-Mix might be best for them – and for that future almond butter I hope to make soon!

Erin March 8, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Yay for oat bran!! I agree, just eat it!
I am totally confused by the oat bran calories as well, but it keeps me full and makes me happy so why worry? I loved this post!
Those bowls all look delish.

RunToFinish March 8, 2009 at 8:17 pm

woah those pics look fantastic, I may have to give this a go instead of oatmeal

Matt March 8, 2009 at 8:22 pm

This post made me excited for breakfast tomorrow!

orangepop March 8, 2009 at 8:47 pm

YAY!!! Thank you for the clarification AND the decision to let it all go. You are so right!
These bowls of glory are beautiful, Heather. The 1st one with walnuts & AB, might be a classic to me (added raisins or banana), as well as the “apple pie.” But this also reminds me to keep on looking for what I love the best & feel the best with! Hoo-rah!

Erin March 8, 2009 at 9:10 pm

I noticed that my Bob’s Red Mill was technically 180 cals for 1/2 cup, but who cares? 30 calories is 30 calories! OH FREAKIN’ WELL! If I really needed to burn that I could probably walk around the block a couple times, but the point is, it DOESN’T MATTER! I’m SO happy to hear that you’re not going to calculate in the mornings anymore. It does horrible things to the mind, right? You are a wonderfully healthy, beautifully nourished individual and you deserve to put that love and energy into your spirit, not into number crunching! I love you Heather!

carolinebee March 8, 2009 at 9:10 pm

i read: blah blah blah blah DELICIOUS
:D

PS: My cuz’s wedding is nxt weekend, i’ll keep ya fully updated, yay!

Elizabeth March 8, 2009 at 11:05 pm

Thats so interesting all the differences adn how great of you to actually take the time to compare it! Yay for not counting and just enjoying. I am still in teh counting party since Im trying to lose a lot still, but Im defintiely not a weigher or exact measurer. I just love food! :) All your bowls look so great!

Thanks for asking about work! I am starting at the new salon on the 18th and I can’t wait! It’s a full service salon and day spa, which will be nice! It makes me nervous to make the change but I think it will be so worth it. Until then, I am trying to keep busy! Have a great week!!

Maggie March 8, 2009 at 11:14 pm

I was actually pondering this the other day. I have no idea how many calories per serving my oat bran has because I get it out of the bulk bin at my cute little market and it has no nutritional information. It just says “OAT BRAN” in black marker. Then I got a bag from TJ’s when the market was out and it said 130 calories per 1/3 cup, which was different from the 150 per 1/2 cup I was assuming for the stuff I get at the market. Oat bran is tricky, but quite delicious. I’m still doing 3/4 cup!

Lauren March 9, 2009 at 6:06 am

Delicious gallery of oat bran creations!

Emily March 9, 2009 at 7:39 am

Thanks for the oat-torial; very helpful!
I also like the pictures and links to your favorite bowls.
I like your breakfast philosphy; I think it really is all about finding what works for you. It took me a while, too, but now I now what I want and need in the morning! Nitpicking calories really takes the joy out of eating.

Have a fabulous day, Heather!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 9, 2009 at 9:03 am

Right on, sistah! Just eat the damn thing. At this point, you know better than the labels – you’ve done your time!

Lara March 9, 2009 at 10:25 am

I for one must weigh all my food. I have a terrible time losing weight and the difference in cup measure/grams really can add up. I found this out once wtih peanut butter. 1 TBSP measured out was much more than what the weight in grams should be for that serving size.

If someone is losing or maintaining their weight without weighing food than by all means no reason to stress about it. But for many of us, it is somethign we must do to keep calories at a level that allows us to lose.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2009 at 11:05 am

Hey Lara,
Thanks for your comment. Yes, counting and measuring helped me lose weight as well, but it has been such a hard habit to break. Sometimes, I get consumed by it, but I’m going to work really hard to eat a healthy breakfast and stop when I am full…then try not to add up everything in my head.

Keep up the good work – I hope you reach your goal soon. You sound very motivated! Oh, and thanks for the Wessex info. That was my first brand of oat bran purchased. Good stuff! :)

Lara March 9, 2009 at 10:29 am

Oh and my brand of Oat Bran (Wessex) is 100 calories for 40 grams (1/3 cup) and 150 calories for 60 grams (1/2 cup)

lisaheartspizza March 9, 2009 at 10:36 am

That sounds like a great new breakfast philosophy! Inspired by you, I bought my first box of oat bran at whole foods the other day! I haven’t tried it alone yet, but I mixed it with oatmeal and it was super yummy!! Thanks-Lisa D.

cat March 9, 2009 at 12:11 pm

hey heather, my name is cat and i just wanted to say hi from colorado… also, i am originally from nashville and am visiting later this month! i am a total hot yoga addict, so if you want to take a class together and chat about the rocky mountains, let me know :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2009 at 12:22 pm

Cat. Thanks for reading my blog. Would love to get together for some hot yoga and CO talk! Please email me before your trip to Nashville. Looking forward to meeting you. :)

Kristie March 9, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Awesome and informative post. I always wondered what the heck the deal was with oat bran nutritional information. Every time I would try to find some stats I would just end up finding all kinds of different and inconsistent info. I just gave up and eyeball whatever seems to be a good serving. Calorie counting is a pain in the neck! It’s Oat Bran! It’s healthy and nourishing and nutritious! Bah humbug to calories haha

seeleelive March 9, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Dear Heather…….YOU ARE AMAZING! AH, i admit: such a hard habit to break!! I find myself counting random times during the day…it helps to hear that I am not all alone in my struggles….not that I would wish it on other people, but you know what I mean, we can do this together! A couple questions. how did u eat non-dairy whipped cream? where can i buy some?

i caved and bought some jay robb stuff for the first time. i know, im not as advanced as you with this no-packaged foods shizzz! any suggestions on how to eat it? i bought 2 packs…so i can do 2 diff. dishes. ideassss!

any thing else you would like in the package? i know i am not sending you bars, you are so above them now !! (Take that as a compliment) ! It has been MY JOY watching you literally learn so much about yourself and become such a wholesome wonderful lady in the blog world! (not that you were not that before, but just looking back to old posts…you amaze me!!)

Lurrrrv you.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2009 at 3:05 pm

Precious Lee!
What an awesome commenter you are! Always brings a smile to my face when I see your name pop up in my inbox. :)

As far as the whipped cream goes, that was definitely NOT dairy free, but full of real cream and deliciousness! I know that Whole Foods sells a soy whipped cream. It’s a bit funky tasting, but once you get past they soy flava, it’s not too bad…nothing like the real deal though!

Hooray for Jay Robb. I really do think it’s the best protein powder out there. No artificial ingredients and sweetened with Stevia? Hard to top those stats! Mr. Robb makes a kick a$$ smoothie. I don’t like a lot of fruit in my smoothies, and so my favorite combo is Jay Robb, 1/2 frozen avocado, 1/2 frozen banana and lite coconut milk. Yum! The powder is also good mixed with canned pumpkin and topped with PB, or try mixing it with Greek Yogurt and cereal. It sweetens things up AND adds a nice protein punch.

Nothing more in my package you sweet girl. The Mighty Maple is all I need! Lurrrrv you too my friend, and I hope you’re having a blast with your sister!

AnAppleADay March 9, 2009 at 4:03 pm

which brand of oats do you recommend? i’m still looking for a good OAT bran to buy. please help me out!

Also, do you use 3/4c of oat bran? I’ve heard that that is heart-healthy portion but not sure if it’s true.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 9, 2009 at 5:21 pm

AnAppleADay,
I usually just buy oats from the bulk bins at Kroger (local grocery store) or Whole Foods. I’ve also tried Wessex – very good! In fact, every oat bran I’ve tried is good, and I don’t really notice any difference between the brands. Yes, I usually do 3/4 cup serving, and Quaker does consider that the heart-healthy portion. When cooked, it adds up to one big bowl of goodess, and it’s VERY FILLING. Lately, I’ve actually been using a little less and adding wheat bran, but when my bowl contains oats only, 3/4 cup it is!

Andrea [bella eats] March 9, 2009 at 7:52 pm

Oh Heather, your gallery of oat bran has me drooling, and I haven’t even tried blended oat bran yet! Thank you for the inspiring and informative post. Congrats on your decision to stop counting calories..I cannot wait to get to that point. I completely agree that if you are eating nutritious, whole food along with exercising regularly that there is no point in adding an additional stress to life…it IS too short. I’ve been counting less and less lately because I am really starting to figure out what works and what doesn’t and it is making me much happier. :)

Have a lovely Tuesday!

Hangry Pants March 9, 2009 at 10:16 pm

I’ve never been in the situation, either needing to lose or gain weight, where calorie counting was really all that necessary for me. So, as an average person, I just don’t see the value. I don’t really get the point. If I’ve eat x number of calories, is that how I know to stop eating? If I’ve eaten under that amount, but I’m not hungry, do I need to eat more? It just seems … unauthentic to me. Anyway, I hope you enjoy calorie free breakfasts.

And, I’m glad you brought up the cal. count thing on the oat bran. I’d noticed when I bought it (wf bulk bin), the info was different from what you had posted. It sounds like shady shenanigans from the companies to me!

Sarena March 14, 2009 at 1:06 pm

This is a great post! Now I am craving some oatbran. I bookmarked your recipes and plan to try all of them!

mimi March 24, 2009 at 8:38 pm

I’m new here – found your interesting blog while somewhat desparately seeking calorie info for oat bran. As with Lara, I’m a dieter who’s sadly learned that every calorie really counts! I had totally relied on various calorie counting/diet websites that ALL said oat bran (which I buy from bulk bins) has 231 cals per cup. Only after making my latest “low cal” creation did I call my local health food grocery (PCC, in Seattle) & was informed that 1 cup of their organic oat bran has 460 calories – i.e. TWICE what I had previously thought. Healthy but fattening, in my eyes…

Nick Salem March 7, 2010 at 6:55 pm

For some like my wife , she has strickly counted calories for more than 20 years , not for calories sake , but to monitor her weight . She was up to 156 for a couple of years and had never been heavy in her life . And lost about 40 lbs. and has stayed in the 115 to 122 range for 20 or more years . No matter what anyone says , in order to keep your weight down to your desired level , its really simple , Calories Consumed Verse’s Calories Burned , and the scale will tell . nick

Jeff April 29, 2010 at 5:39 am

Hey Nick!

Thing is the that there is a great variation in calories per serving being reported on the stats. Heather did a good job analyzing that.

We’ve been getting oat bran in bulk from http://www.healthy-eating.com good prices, big quantities.

Jeff.

Karl September 30, 2010 at 10:13 am

Thanks so much for the info.Looking at it, it does make sense.
Oat bran from different areas contain various amount of moisture. In fact, the reason oat bran is milled that way is to prevent it from absorbing moisture and staying fresh longer. Also I can see that mills slightly differ as well a bit. Some mills may chop off some of the core of the grain as well. Also total calories reflect also the energy used by the body to digest it. It obviously takes more energy to digest oat bran than starch. Putting this all together, yeah, go ahead and use the nutrition facts as long as you do not use the Whole Foods nutrition label. I have issues with them as well. Look for example at wheat bran. But the mills I would trust.

HEAB September 30, 2010 at 10:16 am

Interesting – thanks for the info Karl!

Amanda April 6, 2011 at 6:30 am

Sorry Heather, this is >1 year later. I was just googing “oat bran nutrition” and this post was the second result that popped up.
Anyway, I’m sure it was pointed out, but JUST in case (and to set the record straight), I saw my WF bulk bin stated 120 calories for 1/3 cup– NOT 1/2 cup– making 1/2 cup 180 calories. Again, as you stated, not that 30 calories should be anything to ever think about, but I just wanted to put that forward.
And maybe they’ve changed their bulk bin info since.. I am a bit tardy!

Kathy July 23, 2011 at 4:50 pm

how can I get the recipes for these oat bran bowls???/ Thaks

Kathy Bolotin July 23, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Just looking for the recipes to these delicious oat bran bowls pictured..
Thanks

HEAB July 24, 2011 at 6:59 am

Hi Kathy,
I linked to all the recipes in this post: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2011/01/07/oat-bran-101-2/. Enjoy. :)

Kthy Bolotin July 24, 2011 at 10:19 am

Thak you so much, I will be having my oat meal, lessa than 1/4 cup with 1/4 cup oat bran, some strawberries, touch of milk…little s&L (1/2 pkg…baby is precious…

Oatmeal Calories July 25, 2011 at 11:33 am

Heather now you made me hungry for freakin’ Apple pie oat bran! Ugh! But other than that great read. Your a very good writer.

{ 5 trackbacks }