Agar Agar…Are You Sure About This?

by HEAB on March 13, 2009

Breakfast was nothing too creative. In keeping with my green theme, I prepared the following:

Scrambled egg whites with avocado (keeping with my green theme in the mornings. :) )

Scrambled egg whites with 1/2 chopped avocado and lots of pepper

I wanted to try more of the Original Coconut Milk beverage from Turtle Mountain and poured some over a small bowl of Trader Joe’s Fiber Twigs, 1 banana, and a spoonful of almond butter.

I promise there is milk in there.

I promise there is milk in there.

Honestly, I could not taste much coconut flavor in the milk at all, a bit disappointing for me as I love all things coconut.  That being said, the milk still makes a wonderful non-dairy/soy option.  The texture is smooth, thick, and creamy with a slightly sweet flavor. Other flavors available are vanilla and unsweetened, all fortified with calcium, vitamin D, vitamin B12 (50% – great for vegans!), and several other nutrients.  All in all, a wonderful product!

After sampling the Original, I decided to whip up something sweet with the vanilla flavored coconut milk sample I also received.  Pudding Time!

Inspired by two of my favorites (Maggie and Katie), I decided to try my hand at agar agar.  For those of you that don’t know (I didn’t), agar agar is a gelatinous substance derived from seaweed and makes a great vegetarian gelatin substitute. After my soy intolerance once again reared it’s ugly head, I was eager to find a thickening agent for my puddings, as tofu is now a no no. Enter agar agar.

I heated 1 1/3 cups of the vanilla coconut milk with 2 heaping tsps of agar agar on the stove-top until the agar agar dissolved (10-15 minutes?), stirring occasionally. After it cooled, I ended up with this…

Are you scared?  I was.

Are you scared? I was.

I threw my gelatinous chunks into the Vita-Mix along with a little more coconut milk, 1 tsp cocoa powder, and 2 tsp maple syrup.  30 seconds later I had this glorious creation:

Um, are you freaking kidding me?!?

Um, are you freaking kidding me?!?

Are you sure?  Yes, I’m sure – THIS TASTED AMAZING.  I slathered it on a banana and was in heaven.  Thank you Maggie and Katie…you have both changed my pudding-filled life. :)

Want to try some coconut milk products of your own?  Then don’t forget to enter my Turtle Mountain product giveaway.  You have until tonight (Friday, March 13) at midnight CST to enter!

Happy Friday my friends.  May it be a day be filled with coconut love. :)

Erica March 13, 2009 at 11:56 am

Avocado is a great addition to the bfast. Bummer about the coconut milk :( I was hoping it tasted very coconutty (I love coconut!). Your page is loading sort of weird for me? I’m seeing double paragraphs and scrunched together words??

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 13, 2009 at 12:15 pm

Thanks Erica, I went to make one little edit after publishing and somehow reformatted my whole post. Usually I love Wordpress, but today, I was about ready to toss my computer out the window. All fixed now. :)

shelby March 13, 2009 at 11:56 am

I will have to try that coconut milk, it’s kind of hard to find that much B12 in a non-dairy milk so my dietitian would love this find!

FABULOUS PUDDING!!! I’ve tried it but I don’t have a Vita-Mix so it doesn’t get as creamy =(

Chocolate-Covered Katie March 13, 2009 at 11:56 am

See, agar agar isn’t so scary ;) . I love that stuff!

Gosh I reeeaally want to try that coconut milk! Dallas seems to get new products waaay later than everywhere else, so I’ll just have to be patient, but it’s hard!

Maggie March 13, 2009 at 11:57 am

YAYY!!! I really do love agar agar powder. Now I just need a vitamix, because my pudding was not nearly as smooth as yours. I like to eat whatever I make with agar agar just as squares, too – like jello cubes but better! Try adding pb2 and almond milk, or you can add fruit chunks too. I have Katie to thank for intro-ing me to agar too :)

Hope you have a lovely green filled Friday!

eatinnyc March 13, 2009 at 11:57 am

Damn, Martha Stewart! Homemade nut butter? You going to make your own water next? Hehehe jk but seriously amazing. If i had a kitchen appliance beside an ANCIENT blender, a toaster and a microwave (yeah ok I have a stove but I like to pretend I don’t so I don’t have to use it…) i might be inspired to take on some of these fab challenges! Have a great weekend!!
Sara

Mara March 13, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Agar agar freaks me out now since my students told me that they used it in a science experiment to grow mold. It’s just because its a good medium to do that, but its still gross to me! Good for you for trying that, you’re way braver than I

VeggieGirl March 13, 2009 at 12:01 pm

AVOCADO!!!!!! Holy yum :-)

Sorry about the gelatinous chunks; but hooray for pudding!!

Sarah March 13, 2009 at 12:04 pm

that pudding looks incredible!!

i’m pretty sure my 10th grade science project about phototropism in plants had a significant agar component …

Beadie @ What I Ate Yesterday March 13, 2009 at 12:05 pm

delicious eats.

I need to keeps my eyes open for agar agar, this is my first time reading about it. Nice to know of the options exist!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 13, 2009 at 12:08 pm

That looks like a hit pudding! Rock out with your bad self!

ttfn300 March 13, 2009 at 12:20 pm

ooooh, that looks amazing :) the brekkie and the pudding! oh my… i’m hungry again :-/

Anna March 13, 2009 at 12:50 pm

That pudding looks amazing! What a yummy looking substitute for soy products!

brandi March 13, 2009 at 1:02 pm

that stuff looks amazing!

lisaheartspizza March 13, 2009 at 1:14 pm

i’m just wondering(bc your egg whites look a little yellow) did you leave some yolk in or is that just the camera(or my eyes) playing tricks on me?
Also congrats on the agar-agar success. I wish i could find some good marshmellows made with the stuff

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 13, 2009 at 1:18 pm

Lisaheartspizza,
Yes, they do look a little yellow, don’t they. I don’t mind a little yolk action in the mix, and let’s just say I’m not the best egg separator. :)

Kelly Turner March 13, 2009 at 1:26 pm

ive never tried avocado with eggs, interesting.

god bless the Vitamix- greatest blender ever

Holly March 13, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Eggs + avocago = happiness….reminds me of green eggs and ham. In a good way. :-)

I’ve never heard of agar agar. Um…I totally would’ve been a bit scared, too. But the end result? So worth it! I’m way jealous.

Sarah March 13, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Agar agar looks awesome awesome. Not agar the horrible.

I’m just finishing a bowl of egg whites. Mine are as pure as the driven snow. Let’s just say yolk is a no no in my belly belly.

Sweetie Pie March 13, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Hmm… the in between photo is definitely kind of scary, but it’s the end product that counts in my book. Your pudding looks so good, and I love that it is maple. I love me some maple!!

I think that some scrambled eggs and avocado may be in my very near future. Like… an hour and a half away. Those look really good!

Melissa S. March 13, 2009 at 2:46 pm

omg that pudding looks amazing! i have seriously avoided gelatin for so long and was afraid to try agar…now, there is no avoiding it!!!

eatingbirdfood March 13, 2009 at 2:47 pm

I’ve never tried agar agar but now you’ve got me thinking I need to purchase some of that soon!! Thanks for all the info because I definitely didn’t know what agar agar was.

Also, the avocado in your eggs looks awesome.

Have a great weekend Heather.

Lauren March 13, 2009 at 3:22 pm

I can’t wait to try the Turtle Mountain Coconut Milk – and the pudding final product looks really good! I looooove pudding, so I need to try this.

Emily March 13, 2009 at 4:07 pm

that pudding looks amazing, I’m a freak or does anyone else think that agar agar actually looks sort of good?!

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) March 13, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Scrambled eggs and avocado sound like they would taste so great together! Thanks for the idea!

The pudding looks good!

gina (fitnessista) March 13, 2009 at 7:47 pm

ok i’ve had agar sitting in the pantry FOREVER and you’ve taken away my fear- i’m gonna go for it :D the pudding looks awesome!
and i loooooove the egg whites with avocado- yum
hope that you’re having a happy friday <3

Kristie March 13, 2009 at 8:42 pm

Whoa whoa whoa. I never really considered trying the agar thing just because it sounds so foreign and I’ve never really seen it so I didn’t plan on going to seek it out. But after getting a look at THAT pudding dish… how can I NOT? That looks like the most amazingly textured pudding I’ve ever seen.. ever. Wow. Agar agar here I come.

Adi (oatonomy.com) March 13, 2009 at 9:04 pm

Yes, I totally believe that big blob tasted amazing! Mmm!

Hangry Pants March 13, 2009 at 10:35 pm

Your titles always make me chuckle!

Erin March 13, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Yay for more green!!
I’ve been frightened of agar agar for some reason, but this makes it look so wonderful! I may need to get over my fear. That pudding looks beyond delicious.

Caroline March 13, 2009 at 11:10 pm

Yum! I love using avocado in my tofu scrambles!

Agar agar is amazing, once you get the hang of using it. I’ve had a few vegetarian jello mishaps, but I love using it for puddings now!

Leah March 14, 2009 at 3:29 am

Oh wow! I think I’ll have to try that sometime! It looked scary at first, haha but so YUMMY afterwards!

Enjoy your weekend!

MizFit March 14, 2009 at 4:47 am

ok this is SO THE WEEKEND OF THE COCONUT MILK!

off to whole foods today…

Marians eats. The Italian way March 14, 2009 at 10:57 am

I always get such great idea’s from your blog Heather! Thanks!

Justine March 14, 2009 at 11:12 am

I am so jealous that you have agar agar. I cant find it anywhere! Did you have to order it online? I bet my hazelnut stevia would be great in pudding!

~Justine

jacobc March 14, 2009 at 4:10 pm

You know, fiber one should make a sponge or paper towel- i would buy it! It is amazing how much milk it can absorb ;-p

Erin March 14, 2009 at 4:57 pm

HOLY CRAZE. That looks incredible!

Matt March 14, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Saw your post on Eades’ blog. I saw that coconut milk yogurt last week for the first time. You eat a lot of gloppy foods!

Jenn (eating bender) March 14, 2009 at 9:19 pm

I am really not familiar with agar agar, but if you can make something that looks that tasty with it, then I would like to become very friendly with it ;) You are just full of great ideas, ma’am!

Lara (Thinspired) March 14, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Agar agar scares me a bit but this post made it seem a little more approachable, or at least worth it! I love all the different foods you are always trying (experiments with oat bran, coconut love, etc). We should all do that more!

Sammie March 20, 2009 at 5:25 pm

That pudding sounds so good. I will have to remember this agar agar stuff. With my new diet, this could come in handy.

{ 1 trackback }