Yoga Wrap-Up

by HEAB on March 29, 2009

What happened to Spring?  I hear Katie got snow in Texas yesterday, and I woke up to 40 degrees here in Nashville this morning. BRRRR. :(

Yesterday, I officially completed my month-long yoga workshop, but first I ate this for lunch:

Surprised?  I told you I was going to do it.

Surprised? I told you I was going to do it.

That my friends was a Broc Guac & hummus stuffed omelet, and it was 100% delish! So much so that I had it again for dinner. :)

OK, back to yoga.  For any new readers, my goal for 2009 was more yoga. I’d been practicing off and on for about 8 years, taking a random class here and there, never moving much beyond the beginner level.  Exercise to me equaled hours (and I mean hours!) of cardio.  I ran…a lot, and if I did take a yoga class, it was usually sandwiched in-between an interval speed workout on the treadmill and some weight lifting afterwards.  60-90 minutes of yoga was never enough.  Enter sweet Polly who gave me the following advice in one of her comments:

Hi Heather! Yes, prevoius GYM JUNKIE here. Used to run a couple miles before I taught my step/weights/bootcamp classes. Crazy girl. NOW… yay for yoga! Just yoga, no more gym, just yoga. SO HAPPY.

You can do all the things you love, sweetie. My advice to you is just to pick what you will do that day… and not combine them. That way each is it’s own reward and blessing for that day.

That was all I needed to hear, and it’s like something totally clicked.  From that day on, it was either cardio, yoga, or weights, not all 3 in one day.  Slowly, I started doing more and more yoga and decided to sign up for an intense 30 day workshop at Hot Yoga Nashville consisting of Power Vinyasa Yoga in a heated studio 6 days a week.  During the first week, I seriously questioned my sanity as I was so sore and pretty tired from getting up at 5 AM everyday, but by that Friday, I felt amazing.

Important lessons learned this month:

1. I do not have to run everyday, and I will not gain 20 lbs if I stop spending hours at the gym (I have not run in 30 days.  I CANNOT BELIEVE IT MYSELF).  Don’t overdo it girls (& boys).  Learn to love your body as it is truly a gift.

2. Yoga is an amazing workout, for the mind, body, & spirit.  I seriously feel like I am in the best shape of my life, and although I’m still kind of  crazy, I feel much more centered and balanced.

3. Yoga classes used to intimidate me as I could not do many of the poses due to my lack of flexibility and strength. I no longer feel this way, and I’m amazed at the changes in my body after just 30 days.  Stick with it folks, and I promise you’ll see improvements sooner than you expect.  It’s amazing what our bodies will do if you train them properly.  Just breathe – you’ll get there. :)

4. Yoga works all of your muscles.  For the cardio junkie in me, I need to feel like I’ve gotten in a good workout for the day.  I need to move, and I love a good sweat fest!  I won’t lie; part of me was hoping I’d finish this month with more muscle definition and perhaps weighing a few pounds less.  Both happened, but sometime during the month, I began to care less and less about the physical gains.  Yes, I sweated and I worked hard,  but I got to spend 60 minutes flowing with my breath every day.  I tend to get so busy and caught up in my many to-do lists and projects. Those early  morning hours were some of the only times I felt truly present.

I consider each and every one of these classes a gift, and I’m so grateful for this experience!  So, many thanks to Cassie, my teacher at Hot Yoga Nashville and to my Yoga Fairy (aka, John and Alice – best in-laws ever!) for allowing me this yoga journey.

What’s next you asked?  My original plan was yoga a few times a week with maybe a little cardio and some weight lifting, but I don’t think that’s where I’m headed any longer.  Perhaps, I’ll hit the trails for a run every once in a while, but for now it’s yoga…just yoga.  That makes me happy. :)

I leave you with a picture of the beautiful gift each member of my yoga class received on our last day.  Radley, my sweet pup, was hoping it was edible. :)

img_1804-1

marafaye March 29, 2009 at 9:04 am

Wonderful post as usual, Heather! I love seeing “I will not gain 20 lbs if I stop spending hours at the gym” since that seems to be a misconception. I’m so glad you found something you enjoy so much!

VeggieGirl March 29, 2009 at 9:05 am

Ahh I know!! Spring WAS here, and now it’s cold, dark, and rainy :-(

BROC GUAC!!! Holy yum.

Wonderful lessons that you learned – I’m selfishly excited that you too are just doing yoga.

Cute dog :-)

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) March 29, 2009 at 9:07 am

“I began to care less and less about the physical gains. Yes, I sweated and I worked hard, but I got to spend 60 minutes flowing with my breath every day.”

Heather, that is beautiful! THAT is yoga! You have learned so much and I am so glad you shared the essence of this yoga. I got goose-bumps reading this post. I’m so glad you had such an amazing experience.

Much love from a fellow yogini =)

Sarah March 29, 2009 at 9:07 am

awww, cute puppy photo!

this post is so timely, now that i’ve managed to pull something while running and am bed-ridden and sitting on an icepack 24/7 :-( . you pulled me out of my funk a bit and made me feel like there is hope! i’m not ready to give up running completely because i feel like i’ve just gotten started, but i have no choice but to give it up for at least the next couple of weeks!

it’s amazing how quickly you became a yoga fan!

Michelle Hisae March 29, 2009 at 9:08 am

Those are great lessons you learned. We all should realize more often how much of a gift our bodies are – connecting with it through yoga is one of the greatest pleasures in my life right now. Rock on, girl!

Chocolate-Covered Katie March 29, 2009 at 9:08 am

Hello Radley! Henry sends his love (and his condolences that the flower is not edible).

Heather: yes, you are so evil, forcing me to go to Whole Foods, a place I LOATHE! I mean, walking up and down the aisles looking at yummy food (and sometimes getting free samples)? What could be more boring? ;)

*Excitedly skips off to Whole Foods*

Anna March 29, 2009 at 9:09 am

So glad you enjoyed your yoga odyssey! I imagine that 30 days of just yoga would be life-changing. And how great that you received it as a gift!

“although I’m still kind of crazy, I feel much more centered and balanced” : haha, I love it!

Heather (be well & take care) March 29, 2009 at 9:16 am

This post really struck a chord with me. I’m working on loving my body (while trying to loss weight without all the obsession) so I’ve basically been sticking to cardio, cardio, cardio with a tiny bit of strength training. I do some basic yoga moves/stretches upon waking up, but I’ve been neglecting spending any time really focusing on it. I know that it can definitely help with my anxiety and stress levels, yet I don’t devote enough time to it. I think today I will try to get 20-30 minutes in and work my way through it. Thank you for the inspiration! (Also, beautiful orchid and pup!)

musicmaven10 March 29, 2009 at 9:21 am

Your broc guac looks so delicious! I can’t wait to try it! And you’ve inspired me to give yoga another try! I hurt my knee yesterday, and I think it might be due to overuse- I’m training for a half-marathon and have been running quite a bit. I am going to have to try something new before I hurt myself even more!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 29, 2009 at 4:27 pm

MusicMaven10,
So glad you’re going to give yoga another try. Listen to your body. Don’t push yourself too much as the knee can be a tricky one. Stop running if you feel pain, and ice your knee. Best of luck with your half – just don’t overdo it. Yoga will provide you with some much needed stretching. :)

raspberryrunner March 29, 2009 at 9:29 am

wow, i can’t imagine not running for 30 days! guess i’m a cardio addict. i’m glad yoga has been so fulfilling for you this month! i would really like to be more consistent with going to yoga classes…maybe i’ll go to one tonight :)

oh, and your omelet looks fantastic!

Erin March 29, 2009 at 9:32 am

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your workshop. It sounds like a completely amazing experience and I’m glad you have found something to make you so happy!
I’m still trying to get past the “must be aerobic to be a good workout” so this is a good reminder. I know it in my head, but its just so hard to really believe. I’m glad you came to a place where you can!

runsarah March 29, 2009 at 9:46 am

Thanks for sharing! I want to do more yoga…when I did a lot of pilates I found it very grounding on so many levels. Broc & guac omelette looks so good!

FoodsThatFit March 29, 2009 at 10:02 am

Heather-

What an awesome post! I myself am an admitted cardio junkie who needed to hear this post. Thank you for your honest feelings about it. I have had the fear myself that if I don’t do this and this and this, etc, I will gain all this weight. I know it isn’t true, but sometimes the mind has ways of making you feel that way.

I have slowly been incorporating more yoga and pilates in through the online sessions on My Yoga Online and have really enjoyed it, especially since it is so much cheaper than going to a studio. However, I find that I put it off during the day and don’t do it as much because I don’t have a committed time for it, like you had with your early morning classes.

Will you continue to do the early morning classes? I think that for myself having a scheduled time in a class with a group of people you are used to being with would make it easier to stay committed.

Beadie @ What I Ate Yesterday March 29, 2009 at 10:03 am

I feel so happy for you right now. I feel so blessed to have come along on this journey with you. You have truly inspired me.

Namaste, my friend.

ksgoodeats March 29, 2009 at 10:20 am

Broc-guac hummus stuffed omelet?! That sounds absolutely phenomenal!

So glad you’ve gotten so much out of yoga! A lot of people underestimate it but it’s a good form of exercise!!

Is Radley a black lab? I have a chocolate lab – love that breed, such a good dogs!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 29, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Hey K,
We’re not quite sure what either of our dogs are. We’ve rescued 2 puppies over the last 2 years, and we’ve heard the following possibilities for Einstein: black lab, pit bull, shar pei, & chow. With that mix, you’d think he’d be scary and mean, but he is the sweetest dog ever. We know Radley’s mom was a basenji, and we think her dad was at least part black lab. She is the crazy one, but so adorable. Is your chocolate lab “the brat”? :)

peanutbutterandjuli March 29, 2009 at 10:40 am

Wow, Heather! I’m so proud of you. I hope to someday get there- I’m just not there yet. You’re the bomb.

Sarah March 29, 2009 at 10:48 am

Heather, my sister, thanks so much for the yoga wrap up. I can totally appreciate everything you said. I just can’t give up my running like a crazy person right now, because I am so competitive and running races is a high like no other! But I know that someday I will give up running, and when I do, I’m going to be a yoga mat rat, for sure.

Now onto that broc guac hummus omelet! That looks freakin’ fantastic. I’m inspired!

Have a great Sunday!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 29, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Sarah,
Stick with the running my friend as I know you love it. I noticed that you’ve really been listening to your body by not pushing yourself on every run. In fact, I can’t wait to see how you do in your half next weekend. I think you may really surprise yourself. :)

shelby March 29, 2009 at 11:29 am

I wish I could just do yoga…I need to find some local classes or good DVDs. I always feel the need to do some form of cardio like ellipical or running. I just don’t accept yoga as a good workout. Yes I am crazy =P

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 29, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Shelby,
You are so not crazy. I’m totally there with you. The key is finding a class you enjoy but one that also challenges you at the same time. Oh, and doing yoga in a heated studio also helps. You’ll sweat up a storm – feels so good and cleansing. Love it! I promise you will see results from a regular practice. My arms have never been so strong! :)

Dori March 29, 2009 at 11:30 am

What a great post. I am so happy you love yoga this much and had such a great month. I am intimidate by yoga for the same reasons you stated in #3, and I have taken a few classes with different intstructors and always hated it. Could I just not like yoga or do I need to stick with it some more? I also find it so boring… Maybe I am just not spiritually “there”?

Anyway, guac in an omelette is wonderful!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 29, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Hey Dori!
I was the same way with yoga and could not get into it for the longest time. However, after just a few weeks of consistent classes, I started seeing results and something clicked. Yoga probably isn’t for everyone, just as some people will never enjoy running (or spinning :) ), but it’s definitely an activity I have learned to love.

muchfruit March 29, 2009 at 11:33 am

Heather, this was amazing to read. I also struggle with an exercise addiction and have not found the peace with a type of exercise like you have found in this month. I am still trying, though :) I’m so happy you are sticking with just yoga. Remember to keep Polly’s advice in mind and just do what makes you happy! Thanks for sharing your journey with us!! Now I just need to find my own yoga fairy…

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 29, 2009 at 4:59 pm

Muchfruit,
Thanks for your comment. You keep Polly’s advice in mind too my friend. Best of luck with the yoga fairy search. :)

RunToFinish March 29, 2009 at 11:37 am

I started a 31 day challenge thanks to CarrotsNCake and I was amazed at what a workout yoga was in some forms and how much I enjoyed the slow version on others days. I’m a convert!

ttfn300 March 29, 2009 at 11:47 am

aww radley! looks like spring there :) polly’s words are amaing!! and horray for happiness :)

Emily March 29, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Congrats on finishing your workshop! I’m glad you learned so much, and I love your philosophy on yoga and Polly’s amazing advice. You’re inspiring me to do more yoga, Heather! :-)

I love your hummus stuffed omelet..I’m contemplating this idea for dinner!

Have a great afternoon!

Susan March 29, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Awesome post Heather. It’s so nice to hear that you’ve found your happy yoga place! :) I only took my first class last week, but I’m already excited to get into it. It’s definitely something I can see myself doing more of after I complete all my races this summer.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 29, 2009 at 5:01 pm

Susan,
I think yoga will be so great for you, especially the stretching component. So glad you tried a class AND that you enjoyed it. :)

orangepop March 29, 2009 at 1:13 pm

I am SO proud of you, Heather!!! Your journey is inspirational to all active & spiritual people. I tagged you on my latest blog-post! I love yoga & glad you do too. As always, your eats delight me! xoxo

Adi (oatonomy.com - repaired!) March 29, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Thanks for this post, Heather. Great insight… I think we need to hear advice like this more often, in terms of finding balance and listening to our bodies.

Oh and Radley is too cute…!

Elizabeth March 29, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Great post! What amazing lessons and thoughts you have from your experience this month! I love yoga and I love how it makes me feel. I love what it can do for my body too.. if I just keep it up! That orchid is gorgeous too!

I’m glad you liked your broc guac better today! Have a great weekend!

Megan March 29, 2009 at 2:43 pm

mmmm broc guac!! i want itttt!!!!!!!

so sorry that it’s cold there. i dont do much with cold weather, i’m too delicate for that, hehe. it’s still a perfect 75 and sunny here in malibu :)

your doggy picture makes me miss mine so much!!

Trish (girlatgym) March 29, 2009 at 3:04 pm

Such a fantastic point you make – no need to kill yourself at the gym. I used to sometimes over do it – back in the day when I was young and foolish. Not anymore. Now I am all about balance. I get in, get out. No need to spend hours there. I either lift weights or do cardio. Not both. And I did not gain an ounce by cutting back! :-) My body actually seems to be making better progress with less. I am doing so much better now. I think it’s quality vs. quantity. And I know a woman who is working out twice a day, on most days. UGH! Such a mistake. There is no need for it!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 29, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Trish,
Less is best – Agreed! It took me years to discover this, but better late than never, huh? I know plenty of people who work out twice daily, and I really don’t think our bodies were built for that. They usually end up injured. Definitely no need for it. Sounds like you’ve found a good balance. :)

Leah March 29, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Wow, what a great post!!! I think every blogger needs to read this one! I’m so glad you have found such a love for yoga and realized that you don’t need to do EVERYTHING in order to be a fit & healthy woman. Good for you!!

(By the way, i’m having a giveaway on my blog for the book “Fit from Within.” Definitely a great read for those of us who are trying to achieve balance in our lives, with food, exercise and the like!).
Hope you’ll check it out!

Holly March 29, 2009 at 3:20 pm

Thank you so much for the yoga recap, Heather. I am DEFINITELY a cardio junkie, so I needed to hear this (and it looks like other people did, too!).

One thing I learned from not being able to exercise for a year was to really appreciate and take care of my body – that means to not ONLY spend hours a week pounding the pavement. Now I’m realizing I need to get on the yoga track, too. I love reading your thoughts on this and I’m actually going to try out a yoga class this week (for beginners!).

Radley is so sweet! :-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 29, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Holly,
What kept you from exercising for a year? Wow, that must have been really difficult. So glad you’re trying out a yoga class this week. Let me know how it goes.

Kris March 29, 2009 at 4:16 pm

I love the Broc Guac! I am totally trying that! I love the conclusions from yoga. Yoga definitely makes me appreciate my body more than running does! I have been reading you blog for a while – just starting my own blogging adventure.

healthyambition March 29, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Your omelet looks a-mazing! Do you have recipe for it? I should probably have a better search around your blog before I ask!

I also agree with your comment about not needing to exercise heavily(practically)everyday but I think its a huge mental block to overcome. That said, I think I could really benefit from some yoga given your reflections on it.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 29, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Healthy Ambition,
I usually make my omelets using carton egg whites, or I’ll do 1 egg with 2 egg whites. For the filling on this one, I used a spoonful of Sabra sun dried tomato hummus and a spoonful my broc guac which you can read about here: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/2009/03/27/calling-all-broccoli-lovers/

Hope you try some yoga soon. :)

Erin March 29, 2009 at 5:35 pm

Beautiful orchids! I’m so glad you’ve found peace and body love in yoga! That was all I did for two years and I was in amazing physical and MENTAL shape. :) I’m glad you’re feeling the yoga high!

Erica March 29, 2009 at 6:20 pm

hey lady! How are you? Again- that delicious-ness looks AMAZING! Heart the broccoli. So glad you have really enjoyed every minute of yoga!

Maria March 29, 2009 at 7:40 pm

Love your blog, just found it!! I haven’t done yoga in awhile. I should get back into it.

Jessica (jesslikesithot) March 29, 2009 at 8:39 pm

That’s so cool to hear that you completely dropped cardio and went full throttle into yoga for just 30 days and it totally changed your outlook on exercise!!! I am so motivated to get my butt to yoga now, I really want to get into it over summer when I can take classes at a good gym! :)

eatlivelovedream March 29, 2009 at 9:18 pm

I’m waiting for my Avocados to ripen up to make some of that green yumness:) Heather thank you for you help with my wordpress woe’s:) It’s so sweet of you to give me the info. It’s very much appreciated!!!
I LOVED what you had to say about just focusing on 1 exercise each day and you don’t have to run everyday and spend countless hours at the gym. I feel like that totally clicked for me recently and my work outs have been SO much more enjoyable:) Cheers to that!!

Marian

HIRun March 29, 2009 at 9:58 pm

I don’t normally respond to blogs, but after reading your experience I just felt that I needed to comment. I too am a aerobics (running) junkie. In my younger days I ran 7 days a week, but because of years of not listening to my body, I had to reduce from 7 to no more than 4 days a week (and reduce my mileage). I’ve tried other forms of workout, but running is the only thing that works for me (mentally and physically). I’ve tried yoga every now and then, but after reading your blog, I may have to seriously re-assess and really give yoga another try.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 30, 2009 at 7:08 am

HiRun,
I was totally the same way. Running was it for me. I seriously cannot believe I do more yoga than running now…NEVER EVER thought I would be on my mat more than out on the roads, but yoga has truly changed my whole mindset when it comes to exercise. I’m in a much better place now. :)

Sara March 29, 2009 at 10:08 pm

Those are such good tips. I am wondering, were you ever bored when you first started yoga? I am a cardio junkie as well, and I find it really hard just to relax in yoga and focus on my breathing. Does it come with practice? Or is it just not for some people?

Your dog is so cute!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 30, 2009 at 4:32 am

Sara,
I did get bored with yoga. The more challenging classes intimidated me, and most of the beginner classes offered at my gym did not challenge me enough. It’s when I started going to a yoga studio that really made the difference. After sticking with some challenging classes for a few weeks, my body began changing, and I was so excited about trying more and more classes. Yoga probably isn’t for everyone, and I used to think it was not for me. At first, it was just about finding classes that felt as though they gave me a “workout”, and even though getting in a good workout is still important to me (trust me, my arms have never been this strong), my yoga practice has come to mean so much than just daily exercise.

Caroline March 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm

That broc-guac looks fab! Radley looks like a cool pup;)

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) March 29, 2009 at 11:49 pm

Congrats on finishing your yoga workshop!

MizFit March 30, 2009 at 4:25 am

I really enjoyed the wrap up and review of your yoga workshop.
I fear in a way Ive become one of those people/moms :)
I now have a LIST of things I wanna do when the Toddler is in kindergarten and something like your yoga workshop is now on there…

girlichef March 30, 2009 at 6:49 am

Oh wow…this looks amazing! I’m so starving right now and the picture alone made my tummy growl :/

Emily March 30, 2009 at 7:29 am

“It’s when I started going to a yoga studio that really made the difference. After sticking with some challenging classes for a few weeks, my body began changing, and I was so excited about trying more and more classes. ”

Heather,

This is great advice Heather. Maybe I need to check out our local Yoga studio instead of taking the classes at the gym. After reading this post it makes perfect sense. I would never recomend taking a ballet class at the gym-you should go to a ballet studio! *Lightbulb moment*

Thanks for the insight!

With Love,

Emily

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 30, 2009 at 9:14 am

Congrats on your yoga challenge/revelations. It’s funny how reading this, from you as a person who didn’t think they could give up cardio but have now found fitness through only yoga, I’m STILL reading it and being like, oh but I could never give up cardio and dancing, there’s no way I could be this fit with just yoga. Nonetheless, I would take your (and many of your fellow yoginis’) word for it – I would just have to give it a chance. I’m not there at the moment, where I feel like I could really devote myself to yoga, but I would like to think that someday I will have a chance to try. So cool that you had such a great opportunity to learn so much about yourself!

burpexcuzme March 30, 2009 at 10:21 am

oh, wow! how cool is this? I had JUST posted about my love for all foods green, too! I LOVE your broc-guac and how GREEN it is! I had to scroll down to the previous post to get your recipe. I’m throwing all aversion to avocadoes out the window.
and thanks for your insights and revelations on yoga. I will give it a try myself, once I fully recover.
btw, loving the omelet. you know I love my eggs ;-)

zestycook March 30, 2009 at 10:25 am

Broc Guac… that sounds amazing… weather is crappy here again :(

Erin March 30, 2009 at 10:54 am

Yessss, I’m all for an avocado restaurant. It would truly be heavenly!
I sometimes astound myself by often I eat that delicious green substance!

healthy ashley March 30, 2009 at 11:35 am

Love your reflections on yoga. I’m trying to get into it more myself, too.

And the omelet looks perfect! I need to make some of this Broc Guac!

kelsey March 30, 2009 at 12:28 pm

I’m having a hard time balancing my run training plan with yoga. It seems that the emphasis is on the runs and strength training…

Any advice for experiencing the yoga independent of that training plan, without undermining the other goals I’m trying to achieve?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 30, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Kelsey,
What distance are you training for? If it’s long distance, you really need the miles on your legs. Perhaps you could substitute a challenging power yoga class for some of the strength training. Honestly, my arms have never look as sculpted as they do now, and my quads no longer quiver in chair pose. I feel stronger now than I ever have. Plus, all the stretching in yoga would be really good for you
!

Sweetie Pie March 30, 2009 at 2:11 pm

The broc guac is brilliant, and I’m so glad that you’ve found something you love that works for you. I love the orchid too! :-)

kelsey March 30, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Well, I’ve been using yoga in my plan as stretching, and on rest days, but I do love a good challenging class. I’ve got a few power flows from yoga download… so maybe subbing one of my strength days would be great!

I’m just training for a 10k, but I’m new to fitness and running, so I’m definitely needing to get the miles on these legs.

Thanks for the ideas!!

Elina March 30, 2009 at 5:32 pm

Wow, Heather, I’m beyond inspired! Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. I never thought a running machine such as yourself would never nearly stop running. Something to think about here, for sure! Glad yoga makes you happy – that’s the best part! :)

Equinox Girl March 31, 2009 at 9:42 pm

Hi Heather, I’ve been following your blog and really enjoy it, but almost think it simply cannot be true that you’re able to maintain & even lose weight while cutting out so much cardio. I’ve been a marathoner for years now and am racking up the miles currently, hoping for a stunning marathon PR in June. This means a lot of 60 mile weeks. I rarely indulge and eat clean 5 days of the week and yet have managed to gain 4 lbs. this running season, putting me around 120, THE DANGER ZONE. So I’m wondering…I burn tons of calories a week…imagine how much more I would weigh if I cut all the running out? It really doesn’t compute with me. I’m turning 40 this year and want to stop this cycle. I started yoga -ing last year and really, really enjoy it, and am actually craving a more balanced life. I imagine running an hour most days, yoga-ing most days, and fitting in more leisurely activities like dog walks, bike rides with the hubby…but I figure I’ll blow up like a balloon. I know you have given an honest account of your experience, but you’re certainly burning a lot less calories, so maybe you’re eating a lot less food? About an hour of yoga a day can keep you super fit and slim? I probably should just toss the scale and crack open my intuitive eating book? This has been a struggle of mine since college! I’d like to figure it out before my social security kicks in. Please share more of your story and any books you can recommend would be appreciated, too! Thanks for your blog!

{ 1 trackback }