Broc Guac Round 2

by HEAB on March 30, 2009

This morning my ego got the best of me.  I strolled into the 6 AM Power Yoga class at Hot Yoga Nashville thinking this will be a piece of cake after my workshop. Yeah, not so much.  That class kicked my booty, but I love a good booty kick every once in a while.  After 60 minutes of Chaturangas, arms balances (I’ve grown to love Side Crow…well, at least on my right side :) ), and every kind of Warrior Pose you can imagine, I was toast.  Ahh, Savasana is such a beautiful thing, no?  My goal is to attend this class Monday, Wednesday, and Friday mornings.  Not sure what Tuesday, Thursday, and the weekends will hold as it really depends on my work schedule.  I would love to make it to the studio 6 days a week, but I’ll probably be doing several of Polly’s videos and other yoga downloads at home. :)

This morning’s oats were different.  OK, so the ingredients were the same, but I tried a new preparation process.  Following the advice of one commenter (Hi HM!), I added 1 1/2 cups boiling water to 1/2 cup oat bran and 1/2 cup wheat bran, allowing the mixture to soak overnight.  HM said this method would hydrate the oats, decreasing that brick-like feeling they leave in the belly. After yoga, I came home to a lovely bowl of thick porridge.  I then added about an ounce of water, reheated my oats on the stove-top, and then plopped them in the Vita-Mix with a handful of frozen spinach, 1/2 scoop Jay Robb chocolate whey protein powder, and a frozen banana. I know many of you prefer cooking your banana with your oats, but I like the idea of eating my produce raw when possible.  The frozen banana also helps thicken the mix!

Green Oat Bran Banana Pudding

Green Oat Bran Banana Pudding

I think I prefer this dish with frozen avocado rather than banana.  Either way, topped with my raw almond pumpkin seed butter, it was delicious…but still felt a bit brickish. :)

Look at what I found at Trader Joe’s…

Guess what I decided to make?

Guess what I decided to make?

More Broc Guac of course!

Much better, huh?

Guac Broc or Broccomole. What's your vote?

Trader Joe’s kit made it so easy.  I simply chopped the onion, tomatoes, garlic and jalapeno pepper in my food processor. Next, I pureed the 2 avocados with about 2 cups of steamed broccoli and stirred everything together.  Last, but not least, I added the juice of one lime and some salt…almost perfect.  It still needs some fresh cilantro (not included in kit), but 100 times better than my first attempt!

I had to try some right away with 1/2 a spelt tortilla and more broccoli…cause I love it so.

Delicious!

Delicious!

What happened to the other half of my tortilla you ask?  Give you one guess…

Oops.

Oops.

Allison March 30, 2009 at 2:36 pm

lol – I like both! I think Broc Guac is more fun, although broccomole certainly has it’s merits as well! :P

Meghann March 30, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Broc Guac is my vote!

Erin March 30, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Oh so yummy looking. I love all the green! You definitely give me a run for my greenness, which is hard to do!
All that broc looks so good. And of course avocado! I never add stuff to my guacomole as I’m such an avocado freak, but I must try it. I love the idea of having more!
And I say it should be Broc Gauc. It’s catchy.

elise March 30, 2009 at 2:52 pm

oooo…that looks even better than the pea guac looked. def gonna have to give it a shot :)

marafaye March 30, 2009 at 2:59 pm

BEAUTIFUL green eats today!!! I love all the colors in the broc guac!

Anna March 30, 2009 at 3:08 pm

YES side crow!

I’ve seen that guac kit at TJ’s but never bought it. I just might look for it on my TJ’s run tomorrow, though, cause I loves me some guacomole.

I vote for broccomole- My friends and I LOVE to make up new hybrid words and work them into every day speech… they can be pretty hilarious. Although they CAN cross the line: one of my friends recently came up with the term “beauticles” after commenting on another friend’s “beautiful cuticles”. I don’t know why, but it just gave me the total creeps, haha. Not to mention the fact that it’s totally useless. Who comments on other peoples cuticles?!

Emmy March 30, 2009 at 3:11 pm

Well isn’t that kit convenient. I vote for Broc Guac.

But both names are cute :)

-E

VeggieGirl March 30, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Love those Chaturangas!! :-D

BROC GUAC!!! That’s my vote.

By the way, something is on its way to a mailbox near you ;-)

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 30, 2009 at 4:22 pm

VeggieGirl,
You’re too sweet. Both Chris and I are so excited. :)

Kaneil, Balance is Best March 30, 2009 at 3:32 pm

I like broc guac….so catchy! I want to try some, please!

I’m sad that your yoga workshop is over, but hopefully you’ll still make it to the studio often. Is it weird that I always think of the smell when you mention Hot Yoga?! I love that place! (I don’t want to think about what the smell IS…just the memories it brings to mind)

Andrew and I are about to purchase tickets home for Mother’s Day weekend…I miss Nashville!!! If you’re going to be in town, perhaps we can meet up for a whole foods shopping trip/TCBY/Tea or Coffee…whatev!

Any news on the home-selling front?

Kaneil, balanceisbest

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 30, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Kaneil,
Ha, this comment made me laugh. Yes, Hot Yoga Nashville does have a very distinct smell. :)

Not one single offer on the house yet. We just dropped the price again. So, we’ll see. Would love to get together when you’re in town, but we’ll be in Arizona visiting Chris’s parents on Mother’s Day weekend. When do y’all leave to go back to CO? We get back that Sunday afternoon.

Gina March 30, 2009 at 3:40 pm

I vote for Broccamole!

Everything looks delicious Heather :) I know I haven’t been commenting on many blogs lately, but I’ve still be reading yours every day! I like side crow too…can’t say the same about regular crow though, I still fall on my face sometimes, haha.

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 30, 2009 at 4:17 pm

Gina,
No worry about the comments, but thanks for reading…and I have totally fallen on my face in regular crow…several times. :)

Missy (Missy Maintains) March 30, 2009 at 3:42 pm

I like Broc Guac! That kit looks great! I need to take a little trip to Trader Joe’s!

lisaheartspizza March 30, 2009 at 3:49 pm

I’m digging broccomole! Its more fun to say I think! It looks really yummy yummy yummy!

ksgoodeats March 30, 2009 at 4:10 pm

I really like both names! However, I’m lazy and Broc Guac is easier to type ;)

That TJs PB is so good!! Extra creamy and delish!

Emily March 30, 2009 at 4:45 pm

Someday I hope to meet the genius who created that kit. How marvelously brilliant! And so convenient.

Broc Gauc is calling my name. There are leftover beans in the fridge and I’m thinking of mixing up a batch of this to go with…sounds yummy!

And broccoli is my favorite veggie of all time. I must eat it at least every day.

With Love,

Emily

amy (veganissexy) March 30, 2009 at 4:49 pm

I think I have an unhealthy obsession with broccoli. I could eat piles of it everyday and be perfectly content! You’ve just allowed me one more entirely creative way to enjoy it! This is so yummy looking. I think it would be so good as a sandwich spread. What an easy way to get some more veggies in! Awesome. BTW…I’m trying desperately to get into yoga more. I actually LOVED hot yoga when we were in the city, but sadly there is no studio here in Port angeles. Boo. I’m still auditioning yoga dvds until I can find one I love. I find it so hard to be that still for so long after sitting at a desk all day. I usually just want to move…and move fast at the end of every work day. I’ll keep trying :)

shelby March 30, 2009 at 4:50 pm

Oat bran!!!

What a cool kit, I’ve never seen that before.

I vote for Broc Guac!

Adi (oatonomy.com - repaired!) March 30, 2009 at 5:05 pm

Is it bad that I want to try broc guac just so I can legitimately say it out loud instead of just reading out loud off the screen? “I tried broc guac!”

Yeah, that is pretty sad.

Looks so good though! :)

runeatrepeat March 30, 2009 at 5:10 pm

I like broccamole :)

I’m so gonna try this!

mel March 30, 2009 at 5:15 pm

broc guac! what an amazing idea!

Elina March 30, 2009 at 5:27 pm

I thought of you today when I was hungry in the afternoon when I was hungry and wanted a more substantial snack… so I went for oats! Oh man, 4.5 hours later the oats are sitting like a brick in my stomach. Boo :( Anything more than 1/3 cup dry just kills me!

Erica March 30, 2009 at 5:39 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I like Broccomole. I think that sounds just hilarious. Breakfast looks fabulous! I haven’t had oat bran for bfast in forever ever…maybe manana?

runsarah March 30, 2009 at 6:04 pm

That broc guac looks delicious and tasty! Yum!

ttfn300 March 30, 2009 at 6:24 pm

i keep saying guac broc :-P

Emily March 30, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Glad to hear yoga was even better than you expected this morning…sounds like a great workout!

A guac kit sounds amazing. And I love broccoli so much that I’m sure I’d love broc guac (or broccomole…both names are catchy). I wonder if broc would taste good in hummus?!

I just bought TJ’s Almond Butter, and it is soo good!

Thank you so much for the prayers this afternoon! They were much appreciated! :-)

Sarah March 30, 2009 at 7:28 pm

yayyyyy, broccomole success!!!

AND heather, thank you so much for your super sweet and thoughtful comment yesterday — reading it this morning was the perfect start to my day :-) and i feel so much better now! i wish i lived in nashville because i’d totally take advantage of your massage skills.

redheadyellowdog March 30, 2009 at 7:31 pm

broc guac sounds oh so good! ahh trader joes..how I love thee…

Kris March 30, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Thanks so much for checking out my blog and your comment! It really hit home! I love the guac kit. Brilliant! But your “it still needs cilanto” – Umm… check out what I just posted! =)

AutumnTao March 30, 2009 at 8:34 pm

Broccomole!

Melissa S. March 30, 2009 at 8:37 pm

i never cook my banana in my oats either. i actually think raw ones help the texture of the oats.

Jordan March 30, 2009 at 9:17 pm

I did not make naan because I get it for free at work and just can’t compete with that fresh from the tandoori taste.

Way to add to the ever growing list of mockamolies!

erinbee March 30, 2009 at 10:26 pm

PEANUT BUTTER!

i need to try tjs kind for sure!
too bad the closest one is like
three hours away. total bummer!

Jenn (eating bender) March 30, 2009 at 10:40 pm

I can’t do a chaturanga for the life of me! I just read your last post – I am so proud of you (I sound like your mama, lol) and all that you accomplished with your run-free month. Honestly, you are a serious inspiration and I thank you so much for that. And Radley is such a cutie :)

I bought avocados at WF today! I can’t wait to add them to my oatmeal! It’s going to be my first week with the hand blender and I’m looking forward to a lot of Heather-inspired eats!

I can’t decide if I like Guac Broc or Broccomole better! They are both such fabulous names for a fabulous food creation :)

I love the “Oops” caption in the last picture. More like “Hallelujah!” Have a great night Miss Heather!

Caroline March 30, 2009 at 11:10 pm

That TJ is such a genius–a guac kit?! Everything looks so delicious!

Elizabeth March 31, 2009 at 12:51 am

I’m loving broccomole! I also think your oats sound so good. The idea of blending in a frozen banana actually sounds really good to me!

I’m glad you’re doing as much yoga as possible. It sounds like it’s done fabulous things for you! Enjoy the rest of your week!

HM March 31, 2009 at 3:24 am

I’m so flattered to be mentioned in your fabulous blog! *blush* I usually add cold water as it saves me some work ;) and that’s always a good thing!

My vote definitely goes to….

Broccomole!

MizFit March 31, 2009 at 4:26 am

I love the broc guac by name only.

now I need to give my mouth the chance to chime in!

Holly March 31, 2009 at 6:13 am

WOW – that guac kit is awesome! I’m so picking that up on my next TJ’s trip.

I love broc guac – in my head when I say it, I say it like the ducks on the Aflac commercials say “AFLACCC!” Yes, I am strange. :-)

Oh, and I was out for a year with a hip injury – it was frustrating because they didn’t know what it was (3 docs, 2 chiropractors and an acupuncturist). They thought hip bursitis, then maybe a muscle strain, but the most recent diagnosis is meralgia paresthetica (fancy doctor terms for pinched nerve). It was incredibly hard to be off from working out for a whole year…so I am EXTREMELY grateful to be up and at ‘em again. And more dedicated to taking care of my body this time around! (enter – yoga?)

brandi March 31, 2009 at 8:22 am

i like broccomole :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) March 31, 2009 at 9:17 am

BROCCOMOLE. I prefer puns to rhymes, as they sound very intelligent. Hence my effort to make all blogging as punbelievable as possible in order to sustain the illusion. :)

I have eyeballed that guac kit before – it looks like such a great idea. Looks like you put it to good use!

Hangry Pants March 31, 2009 at 10:19 am

I hope I can love side crow one day!

I love your broc guac idea!

justine March 31, 2009 at 11:17 am

You and your “broc guac” are so cute!! It looks yummy. I think I am going to try Sarahs with the peas and then yours cause I have no broc at the moment :( .
Yes, I am definitely getting more cals now in the morning. Now I am anywhere from 900 to 1200 after lunch and I am happy to say there have been no more after lunch binges!!! :)
In the video the little one asks if we can have beer with dinner. Not a proud moment!! Hahaha!!
Gas is still going even with no dairy. :( ????

P.S. 6:30 sounds good for dinner. Cant wait!

~Justine

kelsey March 31, 2009 at 11:59 am

OM NOM NOM!!!! Guac Broc part deux looks so good!!

Kiersten March 31, 2009 at 6:15 pm

I love the broc-guac idea. Broccoli is one of my favorite veggies :)

jane March 31, 2009 at 7:00 pm

does it taste more like guac and less like broccoli when you add a whole avocado instead of half?

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 31, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Hey Jane,
Yes! I actually used 2 small avocados, and it made a huge difference. My first attempt basically tasted like pureed broccoli. 2nd attempt – much more like quac!

{ 1 trackback }