And The Winner Is…

by HEAB on March 31, 2009

Broc Guac!  Thanks to everyone who voted.  In honor of my creation now having an official name, I celebrated with breakfast.

Guac Broc Scramble

Broc Guac Scramble

My lovely plate consisted of sauteed 1/4 onion, 1/2 red bell pepper, mushrooms, and spinach mixed with scrambled eggs and topped with 2 big spoonfuls of Broc Guac.  Check out Kath’s version of Broc Guac here.  Sounds delicious!

For my second course, I had a serving of brown Basmati rice (best brown rice ever!) with some double nut butter action.

You want a bite, don't you? :)

You want a bite, don't you? :)

What is the largest number of different nut butters that you have ever added to any one dish?  I think I had tri-nut butter oats once.  These days, in an attempt to cut down on grocery spending, I am only buying Trader Joe’s unsalted crunchy peanut butter (my favorite & the cheapest – less than $2!!!), and I’ve been making my own almond butter.  There have been NO online nut butter orders in our household for over 2 months.  Good job Heather!  No, but seriously, I’ve gotten really used to my plain peanut butter and homemade almond butter.  The thought of sweetened and salty jars doesn’t really appeal to me anymore.  Nothing like 100% nuts…although, I still really want to try PB & Co’s Mighty Maple.  Why don’t they sell it in Nashville?!?

Today’s yoga consisted of 60 minutes of Bikram Yoga at Hot Yoga Nashville.  I’d only done 2 Bikram classes before my Power Yoga workshop.  Our teacher told us that when we returned to Bikram, we would probably find it quite challenging after a month of only Power Yoga.  Well, since I hadn’t really done much of it to begin with, I was really surprised by my improvements.  My balance and flexibility is so much better.  That being said, the room was heated to 105 degrees, about 10 degrees hotter than for Power Yoga.  Talk about a sweat fest!  It was awesome.

Today marks the last day of dairy and soy-free month.  Check back tomorrow for a recap.  Hope everyone is having a wonderful week thus far.  Are you breathing?

brandi March 31, 2009 at 2:15 pm

i don’t know that I’ve ever used more than one nut butter on a dish – maybe I need to!

VeggieGirl March 31, 2009 at 2:15 pm

HELL YES FOR BROC GUAC!!! :-D

I usually just stick with one nut butter/seed butter type per dish. I’m uniform like that, haha.

I’m barely breathing :-(

runsarah March 31, 2009 at 2:17 pm

Brown basmati rice is indeed the best kind – so delicious!! I have to try
it with nut butters. I agree they are pretty expensive, I just bought a 2kg jar of Kirkland natural PB that should last
me awhile… I hope!

runnerskitchen March 31, 2009 at 2:19 pm

Mmm, I tried some asparagus guacamole the other day. I’ll have to give the broccoli version a try! And your melty nut butters look delicious…I could eat my weight in peanut butter :-)

dailygoods March 31, 2009 at 2:23 pm

ah lovin bikram! so awesome girl :) im gonna buy a month membership starting next week and i cant waittttt! i miss it so much!!! i also wanna make some of that amazing BROC GUAC! love it!!! :)

peaceandpeanutbutter March 31, 2009 at 2:32 pm

Your double nut butter action is looking fab! Yes, I DO want a bite!!

I’ll be making that broc guac asap!! Looks great.

Andddd I went to hot yoga last night, too….totally a sweat-fest..my shirt went from light grey to…well…not that grey at all!!! LOL. I love it!

Have a wonderful day!

Oh, and I haven’t used my coupon yet!!! I can’t decided WHAT to get..there are too many choices!!?? What should I do? LOL

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 31, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Peace and PB,
COCONUT MILK ICE-CREAM. :)

raspberryrunner March 31, 2009 at 2:35 pm

broc guac! i love it! what an amazing looking breakfast! and yes i do want a bite of that basmati rice with double nut butter! i love all your creative nut butter uses :)

shelby March 31, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Can I have a bite?! I’ve never thought to have rice with PB before! YUM! I think I’ll have some tomorrow.

I need to buy some almonds to make more AB…too bad I can’t make my own Vanilla AB, that stuff is AMAZING!

Missy (Missy Maintains) March 31, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Yummm love your breakfast as always! I just won a month to Yogaworks so I get to see what all this talk is about yoga finally! Can’t wait!

Erica March 31, 2009 at 3:05 pm

Hooray for the last day of dairy and soy-free month!! How are you going to celebrate tomorrow? You rock. Bfast looks awesome! I’ve only ever put at max- 2 types of nut butters in a mix- so delicious!

Heather Eats Almond Butter March 31, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Erica,
Hi! Well, I’ve got some Stoneyfield coupons to celebrate with, but after that I think I’ll stick with being dairy free as I’m feeling really good these days without it. :)

Jennifer March 31, 2009 at 3:10 pm

i was secretly hoping brocomole would win darn it! haha. but, either is great!
haven’t tried PB Co.’s maple, but you must try the dark chocolate dreams if you haven’t already. http://www.keepitsimplefoods.com/breakfast/morning-candy/

Erin March 31, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Yummy looking scramble. I don’t have near enough broc in my life.
I was very excited about the Mighty Maple but have to say its REALLY sweet. I wasn’t as crazy about it as I thought I would be.

Emily March 31, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Yay broc guac! :-) Now I just need to make some of the green goodness.

Way to save money on the nut butters! I will definitely have to try TJ’s PB because it is really cheap! I love the almond butter so far. I’ve added 2 kinds of nut butter to oatmeal before…pretty much amazing!

Great job with Bikram this morning! I bet it’s great for sweating out all sorts of toxins.

Have a great night, Heather! :-)

Sarah March 31, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Don’t buy any Mighty Maple. And yes, I have something beside BBQ Sauce up my sleeve. Or on my sleeve. Who am I kidding? I’m wearing a tank top.

Anyway, don’t buy the nut butter…

ksgoodeats March 31, 2009 at 3:52 pm

I adore your broc guac scramble!! WHY oh WHY are we out of eggs – I’m craving them big time now!

TJs PB is the best – anyone who hasn’t tried it is missing out! You need to get some Mighty Maple in your life asap!

Megan March 31, 2009 at 4:15 pm

ohhhh, how i am longing for some broc guac of my very own!

i loooove nut butters, i mix them all the time! i’ve never put it on rice though. PERFECT idea!!! i actually just had a bunch of basmati rice (smothered in soy sauce). it really is the best!

cant wait for the recap!

lisaheartspizza March 31, 2009 at 4:53 pm

aww no one liked broccomole??? Well when I get around to making it, I will just say that is what I’m eating! Hmm, I usually don’t mix nut butters but I definitely like mixed nuts!

Ashley March 31, 2009 at 5:24 pm

I had to stop myself from licking the screen – Broc Guac Scramble looks unbelievable… mmm..

marafaye March 31, 2009 at 5:44 pm

YUM YUM YUM!!!!!

Susan March 31, 2009 at 6:59 pm

I don’t usually mix up my nut butters, but I do currently have FIVE different types in my fridge/pantry. I have this bad habit of neglecting nut butters once it gets to the bottom of the jar because it isn’t as gooey and spreadable. I should probably get on that…

I wish I could eat avocado, your broc guac looks amazing! I don’t think just a “broc” would be the same :P

orangepop March 31, 2009 at 7:51 pm

LOVE HOT YOGA! I’ve been in a room when it topped out at 108!!! It was a “cool” 96 when we ended…
BROC GUAC LIVES!!!

Melissa S. March 31, 2009 at 8:08 pm

you totally need to try mighty maple. give me addy; i’ll send you some!

Rose March 31, 2009 at 8:18 pm

Love the broc guac!

I am barely breathing. Just being honest. Overwhelmed by work, school and running. I can hardly fit sleep in!

Kris March 31, 2009 at 8:30 pm

Oh Heather! You names my poison… Bikram is my obsession! It is the intesity of running without the impact. I have never put nut butter on rice. That is going on the list. Love it!

Hangry Pants March 31, 2009 at 8:55 pm

I have an avacado in my kitchen and have been thinking of broc guac all day! I need to make it before it goes bad.

Don’t you love the sweat fest?

Alisa - Frugal Foodie March 31, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Yum! I love the broc guac idea.

lilveggiepatch March 31, 2009 at 10:39 pm

Rice and nut butter?! You always have the best combinations… like broc guac and eggs! I love putting funky things in my scrambles.

Caroline March 31, 2009 at 10:40 pm

I had guac for breakfast too–sadly, it was not broc guac. I bet your breakfast was way better as a result:)

Elizabeth March 31, 2009 at 11:16 pm

Leave it to you to top rice with PB! I would never even think of that!

Everytime I visit a store that has PB& Co products I look for Mighty Maple for you. We have every other flavor but not that one! I wonder why Utah hates on it too!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 1, 2009 at 8:05 am

Elizabeth,
You’re so sweet. Thanks for being on the lookout. :)

Jessica (jesslikesithot) March 31, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Rice and nut butter??!! Heather, I have never even thought of trying this but your creations intrigue me so! :) I need to start taking more risks in the kitch!

Holly April 1, 2009 at 6:23 am

I have to say, I’ve gotten quite used to adding nut butters to my dishes/meals….SO filling and I just love the salty/sweet combo. TJ’s PB is under $2?!!! No way!! I had no idea it was so cheap. That’s on my list for my next trip there.

Hooray for Broc Guac! You should seriously try to get the trademark on that name – so catchy. :-)

And I’m going to yoga tonight at a for-reals studio. I’m so nervous! Hopefully they won’t kick me out.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 1, 2009 at 8:03 am

Holly,
Don’t be nervous about yoga tonight. Just do your best and maybe give the teacher a heads up before class that you’re new. Oh, and don’t forget to breathe. :)

Elina April 1, 2009 at 6:38 am

I’ve never combined different nut butters (except for crunchy + smooth BB)… you’re putting all sorts of ideas in my head :)
Tried your spinach oats today too… interesting ;)
I love all your yoga progress. I really need to get into it. Sounds awesome!

Emily April 1, 2009 at 7:58 am

Heather,

First of all. Rice + PB = BRILLIANT. Rice is cheap. PB is cheap. And you know I need to use up a whole bunch of rice in my April shop free challenge. What a great alternative to oats! I’m totally stealing your idea.

I’ve never tried more than one nut butter at once. Although sometimes I will have one peice of toast with cashew butter and one with peanut butter.

You have given my some serious food for thought today! Lol.

With Love,

Emily

Darius T. Williams April 1, 2009 at 8:31 am

Broc Guac – I love it!

zestycook April 1, 2009 at 8:39 am

I have to try this broc guac :)

Sweetie Pie April 1, 2009 at 8:48 am

The colors in your scramble are so pretty! I’ve only added two nut butters at one time, but I’m thinking I might have to go completely crazy and try three or four. I’m not sure I could handle all of that nutty goodness in one place, but I’m willing to give it a try… :-)

carolinebee April 1, 2009 at 9:01 am

The mighty maple is so good!!! VG sent me some- angel fairy i know!! It would probably taste reaaally sweet to you since you’re used to TJ’s unsalted/unsweetened and homemade! HMMM maybe for the next nut butter attempt- throw some maple syrup in the food processor?? I have some, but it’s sugar-free :O

It’s so funny, after my “bad” experience with bikram where i didn’t really like it….i have found myself really wanting to try it again lately!! Maybe i shall…have a good one heather!

Maria April 15, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Do you make your almond butter in your Vita-Mix with the dry blade? I have a Vita-Mix but do not have the dry blade.