My Last Dairy Brew-Ha-Ha

by HEAB on April 10, 2009

Oh, the irony.  The day after I announce that I am completely giving up dairy, these babies arrive on my doorstep:

Better Whey of Life yogurt

Better Whey of Life yogurt

Several weeks ago, I had agreed to do a review of these yogurts, and I want to thank the folks at Better Whey of Life for sending them to me.  Each yogurt is rich in whey protein, containing 15-17 grams in each 6 oz. cup.  They are all made with non-fat milk, contain probiotics for healthy digestion, and contain 30% less sugar than the leading yogurt.  So, did I eat some?  Yes, I did.  Dairy-free life now starts tomorrow.  No biggie.

This morning, I made oat bran and topped it with 6 oz. of acai mixed berry Better Whey of Life yogurt and a big whopping spoonful of Trader Joe’s unsalted crunchy peanut butter.

Protein packed bowl of goodness.

Protein packed bowl of goodness.

Back in my yogurt eating days (read Tuesday), I rarely ate anything but plain Greek yogurt.  After getting used to the plain stuff, yogurt with added fruit or sugar tasted way too sweet.  So, I was a bit apprehensive to try my samples of Better Whey of Life products.  They do make a plain yogurt, but the ones I received all contained fruit and natural cane sugar.  My flavor of choice, acai mixed berry, had 145 calories, 14 grams of sugar, 3 grams of fiber, and 15 grams of protein – not too shabby for a sweetened yogurt.  So, how did it taste?  Honestly, it was some of the best tasting fruit enhanced yogurt I’ve ever had.  The texture was perfectly creamy, not thick like my beloved Greek yogurt, but definitely not runny at all!  The sweetness factor was not overpowering, and I loved the little berry chunks in every few bites.  To all you flavored yogurt lovers out there, be on the lookout for Better Whey of Life yogurts in your local grocer’s dairy case.  They are not available in Nashville yet, but you can do a search here to find out if they’re sold in your area.  Good stuff, and you know I love my whey protein.

Who wants this?

I just can't do it.

I just can't do it.

Thanks again to the folks at Vega for sending me samples of your products, but no matter what you add to hemp protein, it will always taste like ass dirt to me.  I only used one scoop of this container of Vega Berry Whole Food Health Optimizer, and I promise there was NO double dipping…trust me on this one!  (I save all my double dipping for the nut butter jar! :) )  You can read the amazing nutritional profile of this product here, and the first person to email me with their address can have it!

Edited To Add: The Vega is now out of my life.  Thanks Janie!

For those of you who celebrate Easter, any fun and exciting plans?  Chris and I are planning to attend our annual Easter potluck hosted by my very talented friend, Emily, at her art studio.  Last year, we were in charge of the marshmallow Peeps Tower…Peeps do not make the best building material.

Pile o' Peeps

Pile o' Peeps

Hope you have a wonderful Peeps filled weekend!

Shelby April 10, 2009 at 7:50 am

Great reviews!

I’ve heard that Vega products suck so no thank you haha

VeggieGirl April 10, 2009 at 7:54 am

Haha, no worries – enjoy the dairy :-D

I DESPISE THE VEGA PRODUCTS!!!! There, I said it. Blech!!

Love the photo of you two!!

Red Head, Yellow Dog April 10, 2009 at 7:59 am

haha love the peeps tower!! and I love your hair!

lissa10279 April 10, 2009 at 8:01 am

I LOVE YOUR HONESTY!! I don’t think I could stomach that AT ALL!! Good for you admitting it’s not for you :)

lissa10279 April 10, 2009 at 8:02 am

I also meant to say, you are sooooo pretty, Heather, and I love the Peeps tower. You and Chris — sooo cute together!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 10, 2009 at 8:15 am

Thanks Lissa. :)

lilveggiepatch April 10, 2009 at 8:07 am

That is such a cute picture, but UGH I HATE PEEPS!

I haven’t really “celebrated” Easter since before college started, but until I was 17 my parents hid candy all over the house and we went out for a big brunch. This Sunday I’m going to brunch as well… with my Jewish grandparents. So no, other than eating some chocolate eggs, nothing!

Have a great holiday weekend, Heather :-)

raspberryrunner April 10, 2009 at 8:11 am

Wow that yogurt sounds good!! I’m going home this weekend for Easter, so I will get to see my family AND stock up on Trader Joes’s (there is not one in Athens…). Peeps are cute, but I don’t plan on eating any….I want some Easter chocolate!!!

Susan April 10, 2009 at 8:14 am

No offense Heather, but that peeps tower is WEAK!!

I jest, I jest :P

I’m working/studying this weekend, but hopefully there will be an Easter feast in the mix somewhere!! Have fun at your potluck!!

Daphne April 10, 2009 at 8:31 am

Thanks for the great review of Better Whey of Life. I’m the founder and CEO, so I love your enthusiasm. I hope my product can help change your mind not to give up dairy! You really can’t get a more perfect protein than whey.

Thanks again,
Daphne
Twitter @proteingirl

kaneil April 10, 2009 at 8:32 am

YA’LL ARE SO DARN CUTE! I’m sure you’ve heard this before…but you and CD look a like. :) Two lil cutie pies.

I’m missing the cheesy family Easter celebrations this weekend, but I’m trying to start my own. Shouldn’t be a problem. ;)

Have a great weekend!
Kaneil, balanceisbest

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 10, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Kaneil,
Yes, Chris and I often get mistaken for brother and sister instead of husband and wife. :) Hope you enjoy a cheesy Easter celebration of your own this weekend!
Love, Heather

RunToFinish April 10, 2009 at 8:37 am

hehe that’s so how life goes huh? thanks for talking about thrive in 30, I gave you a little shout out for it yesterday!

Annabel April 10, 2009 at 8:51 am

Ooo I’ve got to look out for the Better Whey yogurt. I’ve been stuck in a pomegranate greek yogurt rut for the past 4 months! Have a wonderful Easter!

Erica April 10, 2009 at 8:52 am

totally want to try that yogurt! You know I heart my protein! Not sure I can switch from greek though!! Hope you have a great Easter! I am allowing myself a few “unclean” treats this weekend- but I have yet to decide what I want!

Holly April 10, 2009 at 9:20 am

Thanks for the review! I tend to stick to the same products/foods (obvs) so it helps when I hear what other people think. I will try this yogurt out if I see it!

LOVE the picture of you two. The Easter potluck sounds like a blast. And I also love the idea of building with Peeps – how fun is that? I can see an art project in the future for my nieces and nephew. The winner gets to eat their project.

Have a great Easter weekend!

runsarah April 10, 2009 at 9:51 am

Love that photo – you have such gorgeous hair, I always notice it in your photos. I’ve actually never had a peep – they’re not nearly as popular as chocolate mini eggs here!

eatingbirdfood April 10, 2009 at 10:52 am

I love the photo. You are too cute.

I hope you get to enjoy some peeps this year!

Gina April 10, 2009 at 10:56 am

As a vegan, Peeps are one of the only things I am really sad that I don’t eat anymore. I used to be a Peep freak, I got a package of them for every holiday.

Easter is actually my favorite holiday, I think because the weather is getting nice, its filled with cute stuff (bunnies and chicks), and its so much more relaxed than other holidays.

Congrats on getting rid of the Vega, I should do the same.

peaceandpeanutbutter April 10, 2009 at 11:14 am

Loving your peeps tower :-)

Have a Happy Easter! I’m spending it in Maine with my family…beachside!

~Erika

Sarah April 10, 2009 at 11:19 am

You and CD are the cutest ever. I like the long hair (on each of you!). You should have kids just to see how cute they’ll be (isn’t that a good reason to procreate?).

Forgive me if I’m dense, but are you giving up dairy for tummy issues? Did the Better than Whey effect you?

Happy Easter, Heather!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 10, 2009 at 12:40 pm

Sarah,
Ha! We both looked pretty shaggy in the picture, no? I want to give up dairy as it does cause me stomach distress, but sometimes I don’t react for several hours. I’ve noticed a few other problems as well, and I plan to post all my reasons soon. I’ll leave it at this…for me, dairy = mucous. ‘Nuff said. :)

justine April 10, 2009 at 11:23 am

That yogurt looks good but 14g of sugar is to high for me baby! I am sure Mr. Sexy Hot is not offended by his name. Did you see his pics on facebook? You know he is eating it up! Thanks for asking about the little one. She is just fine, it never even bothered her that her hand was 3xs its normal size. Kids are so resilient! Haha, you noticed that someone dipped in the hummus. It wasn’t me because they brought out white pita first by accident so I had to wait forever for them to bring out the whole wheat :( .

The hummus is definitely better when you let it chill and let the flavors infuse for a while. Let me know if you like it.

Loves!!
~Justine

justine April 10, 2009 at 11:26 am

P.S. your hair looks super cute in that pic!!!

~Justine

ksgoodeats April 10, 2009 at 12:04 pm

You two look so cute!! Nice tower!

I think I’m going to have to pass on that yogurt :( I’m a yogurt snob now that I’ve had Greek – everything else pales in comparison!

Have a FANTASTIC FRIDAY :D

Lauren April 10, 2009 at 12:56 pm

I’ve seen these yogurts on a few blogs, and can’t wait to try them!

Sweetie Pie April 10, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I love my whey protein too, and I’ll have to try these if I come across them. Thanks for the review.

I’m planning to get together with some good friends for a late Sunday lunch. My friend has a boyfriend who is Moroccan, and he is skilled at making amazing Moroccan eats. He’s making us some lamb couscous, and I’m making an Eastery dessert (to be determined later). Perhaps we should also build a peeps tower. That sounds like toooo much fun!!

Have a great weekend and a happy Easter! :-)

Emily April 10, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Thanks for the review of the yogurt (I haven’t seen this kind around here either) and the ahem…hemp protein, hahaa.

Love the pic of you and Chris! You are so cute! Hope you have a fun time at the Easter potluck.

Hangry Pants April 10, 2009 at 2:17 pm

I have those yogurts in my fridgeroo. I am hesitant because I don’t love fruit yogurts, but I’m excited after this!

Lara (Thinspired) April 10, 2009 at 2:21 pm

The whey yogurt sounds good for us dairy-eaters! I’m glad you enjoyed some today.
Adorable picture of you and Chris. I’m not a peep girl but that is pretty clever. We’re going to Matt’s parents for Easter Sunday, should be fun!

Alison April 10, 2009 at 4:18 pm

I had my first exposure to Peeps last year. Can’t believe I went more than 25 years without trying them, but I did. They’re pretty good, but I can take them or leave them. I might end up buying some after Easter when they’re on sale.

Maggie April 10, 2009 at 4:27 pm

Ahh I’m jealous of your Whey yogurt! My WF needs to start carrying it.

By the way, I don’t think I have ever said this, but your hair is gorgeous! How long did it take you to grow it that long? And what do you do to maintain it? I’m trying to grow mine out now, and so far I have resisted the urge to chop it all off again.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 10, 2009 at 5:58 pm

Hey Maggie,
I think it’s so funny that I have gotten several comments regarding my hair in that picture as I thought it looked like a shaggy mess. If I remember correctly, after seeing this photo, I got about 5 or so inches cut off the very next week. :) So, thank you so much for the compliment! I go through the same cycle year after year. I let my hair get quite long and then I’ll get tired of it and chop it all off to about shoulder length…then regret it a week later and spend the next 2 years growing it back out. I NEVER learn! My hair has this funky wave/curl thing going on, and it’s super thick. The length really helps weigh it down. If it’s too short it just puffs out, and I look like a total frizz head. I’m pretty low maintenance when it comes to my hair. I love it straight, but I’m too lazy to flat iron it. So, I basically just wash it with Kirkland brand shampoo and conditioner from Costco every 2 days or so. I have so much hair and go through ridiculous amounts of conditioner – therefore, I buy in bulk. :) I have tried all the expensive anti-frizz products out there, and I swear by Garnier Fructis leave-in conditioner. It’s inexpensive, and it works! After rinsing my normal conditioner out, I just comb it through my hair while still in the shower. I never run a brush or comb through my hair after getting out of the shower – just scrunch with a little mouse and go.

Don’t chop – just be patient. Make sure you’re getting all your nutrients as well. After losing all my weight, I chopped my hair off super short (don’t know what I was thinking!) and because I went overboard on restricting my food intake, my hair would NOT grow. It just stayed short and frizzy for about 2 years. Once I upped my fat and protein intake, it got shiny again. Yay for nut butters and other healthy fats! They make your hair pretty. :)

glidingcalm April 10, 2009 at 6:30 pm

brew ha ha!
you are funny!!

love the picture with the peeps! you are so pretty Heather!!!

and I am sooooooo excited to try my Better Whey yogurt! yay

have an amazzzzzzzzing weekend!

zestycook April 10, 2009 at 6:50 pm

haha funny post Heather!! Great pics… have a great easter

laughingkiwi April 10, 2009 at 7:12 pm

LOL how ironic that the yogurt can the day after you were planning to give it up. You guys look so cute in the picture! Happy easter!

ttfn300 April 10, 2009 at 7:42 pm

i haven’t found that in any of the 3 whole foods around me!

Clare (Clare's Two Steps Forward April 10, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Hi Heather! I flew home to New Orleans for Easter weekend, and right now I’m telling my family about how I’ve come to love almond butter! I think they’re a bit hesitant to try it, but I’ll reel ‘em in!

Have a great weekend!

Elizabeth April 10, 2009 at 8:58 pm

That yogurt sounds good! I was beginning ot feel like all the yogurt I was trying was way too sweet, so I tried plain and I couldnt do it. I thought it was pretty gross. :) I will definitely try that kind if they make it over here!

You look gorgeous in that picture! I hope you have tons of fun building a peep tower. Easter also happens to be my hubbys birthday this year, so we will be celebrating both. I’m cooking a traditional feast for some guests, so hopefully it works out! Have a great weekend!

Caroline April 10, 2009 at 10:34 pm

I agree on the Vega products–I actually like hemp, but I CANNOT stomach their powders.

Scoop April 10, 2009 at 11:09 pm

What is up with the pile of peeps? So cute. Is it suppose to be a cake?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 11, 2009 at 5:17 am

Scoop,
My friend wanted some sort of Peeps display at her Easter brunch. Not sure what we were going for, but basically just ended up with a pile of marshmallows. Like I said, Peeps don’t make the best building material. :)

cleanveggiex3 April 11, 2009 at 5:35 am

I heard the same thing about Vega products!! crazy!!

good luck giving up dairy!

jacobc April 11, 2009 at 8:53 am

Well i hear somebody’s b-day is today.. 2 reasons to celebrate this weekend!
Make sure CD gets and extra cadbury cream egg.. ;-)

have a great easter!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 11, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Jacobc,
Thanks so much. Chris celebrated his birthday with a road 10K PR at Purity. I love seeing him win but was almost kind of glad he got second this year. We DID NOT need a year’s worth of ice-cream in our house! Happy Easter to you as well. :)

Melissa S. April 11, 2009 at 9:30 am

I totally agree with you about the Whey Protein Yogurts! I really do enjoy them and don’t mind that there is actually fruit mixed in them (which I normally find super gross)!

Ashley April 11, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Heather – you are such a stunner!

Erin April 11, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Peeps are so fun! I forgot about them. That picture is sooo cute too. I think Peeps have to be the food most conducive to playing with. I love microwaving them and distorting them :)

hinky April 11, 2009 at 9:04 pm

So who gets the ass dirt? I’m going to enter my bid for it – I also strive to be dairy-free, and don’t mind the taste of hemp/dirt, so it might a good fit for me.

Your hair – it DOES look good! I’ve been growing mine out 3 whole years and still it isn’t long enough to donate (8-11 inches?!).

Thanks,