CD's Birthday "Cake"

by HEAB on April 12, 2009

Yesterday, my man turned 16 29. ย He celebrated by running a 10K road PR in 32:30, finishing second place overall at the Purity Moosic City Dairy Dash. ย Love you CD, but kind of glad you didn’t win the first place prize of a year’s supply of ice-cream again (he’s won this race twice in the past) as Purity Dairies makes nothingย dairy free. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post-race Birthday Boy and love of his life, me. :)

Post-race Birthday Boy

After our weekly Costco run, I came home to find this package in my mailbox:

Goodies from the amazing Abbie!

Goodies from the amazing Abbie!

Abbie from Foods that Fit (who just completed yet another 50K!!!!), was kind enough to send me some chia seeds after I told her I couldn’t find them at my Whole Foods. ย Abbie, I can’t wait to use these! ย Also included in the package were raw buckwheat groats, homemade dried apples, andย raw apple cookies. (CD, I could totally make these if we had an Excalibur Dehyrdrator! :)) ย Abbie, so very thoughtful of you – thanks for everything!

So, what does a dairy free wife make for her health food lovin hubby on his birthday? ย This:

Happy Birthday CD - love you so much!

Happy Birthday CD - love you so much!

I’d like to thank several fellow bloggers for their help with Chris’s birthday cake. ย I made VeggieGirl inspired blondiesย and served them on a bed of Abbie’s dried apple rings. ย Topping the blondie was a scoop ofย ย So Delicious coconut milk vanilla ice-cream, oneย raw apple cookie, and homemade Magical Shell…amazing!

The Magical Shell was inspired by a recipe from Alisa Fleming’s Go Dairy Free, which I plan to do a full review on soon:

gdfcover123thin1I melted 6 ounces of dark chocolate chunks with 2 TBSP of coconut oil and 2 TBSP of almond oil on the stove-top. ย I then poured it into a glass jar and let it cool while I prepared our dessert plates. ย When I poured the sauce on the-ice cream, it hardened right away…I know, I know – That’s what she said. ๐Ÿ™‚ ย I used to love Magic Shell growing up, and I’m so excited to have discovered this recipe. ย Thanks Alisa!

All in all a great day, and I leave you with this:

Radley's latest digging project...and we wonder why our house hasn't sold.

Radley's latest digging project...and we wonder why our house hasn't sold.

Jenn (eating bender) April 14, 2009 at 1:00 pm

Hey Heather!

First of all, Happy Belated to CD. Too funny about the ice cream winnings of year’s past – it’s too bad that they can’t go dairy-free!

Secondly, Miss Abbie certainly set you up! I could go for an Excalibur Dehydrator as well ๐Ÿ˜‰ Maybe I need to force Bobby to marry me and put it on the registry list? Hm…well, that probably won’t happen (yet), but I love what you made for CD’s birthday! It looks so healthy/sinful ๐Ÿ™‚

I just got Alisa’s book a couple of weeks ago. I am intrigued by this magical shell you speak of – I haven’t gotten there yet. I have to do a review of her book once I’m finished. So far, I’ve decided I am going to try going dairy-free for a week or so and see how it goes. After reading what she has to say, I am completely intrigued.

Lastly, Radley is adorable!

elise April 13, 2009 at 6:38 pm

awww…very cute celebration and happy birthday to chris. that “heathly” dessert looks so yummy!!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie April 13, 2009 at 1:46 pm

I had no idea the coconut ice cream and magic shell were for your sweetheart! I am so glad you enjoyed it … he deserved a good dessert like that after such a great run!

Sarah April 13, 2009 at 12:12 pm

aww, looks like an absolutely perfect birthday celebration. you incorporated everyone’s suggestions so well!

amy (veganissexy) April 13, 2009 at 10:37 am

Happy Birthday Chris! Another Aries!!! The dessert looks totally scruptious & sweet! ๐Ÿ™‚ I have some chia and hemp seeds that I have no idea what to do with, so I’ll be curious to see what you create with them. Take care ๐Ÿ™‚

Elina April 13, 2009 at 9:59 am

Happy birthday, CD! What a great way to celebrate – a new PR AND an awesome dessert!!

Hangry Pants April 13, 2009 at 9:46 am

I love that the prize for the race is ice cream!

Congrats to CD and Happy Birthday! I hope he enjoyed his cake.

Have fun with your chia seeds. ๐Ÿ˜€ I have them in my Mix My Granola Muesli.

Holly April 13, 2009 at 9:34 am

Happy Birthday, CD! HOLY MOLY, you are one fast puppy. You guys just seem like the coolest/sweetest couple. ๐Ÿ™‚

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) April 13, 2009 at 9:12 am

Who needs dairy with a birthday treat like that?! I for one have not missed it, as long as I have that coconut ice cream in my house…

Happy post-Easter!

eatlivelovedream April 13, 2009 at 8:39 am

Your just the cutest couple!! What a good wifey you are Heather!! You never fail to make such wonderful and creative things to eat!!!
Glad it was a good birthday:)

Sweetie Pie April 13, 2009 at 8:21 am

Happy Birthday, CD!!! His birthday treat looks amazing. I love any dessert with a candle in it. What fun! ๐Ÿ™‚

hopeinpeanutbutterandoats April 13, 2009 at 6:55 am

wonderful job on the cake! i’m sure he looveeddd it, i know I’M drooling just lookign at it!

eatingbirdfood April 13, 2009 at 6:45 am

Happy Birthday to CD!! The “cake” you made him looks marvelous- way to be creative.

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) April 13, 2009 at 4:58 am

Happy Birthday to your hubby!

Elizabeth April 12, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Happy Birthday to your cute hubby! The dessert you made him looks fabulous! It was my hubbys birthday today I and didnt make him any special treat.. I think I failed. ๐Ÿ™‚

Cherie April 12, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Oh my, Heather. “That’s what she said.” hahaha. Looks like you made some delicious treats for Chris on his birthday. He’s a lucky boy!

zestycook April 12, 2009 at 6:49 pm

Happy Birthday Chris! What an amazing dessert!

Jessica (jesslikesithot) April 12, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Wow, that dessert…….you are a genius, combining all the best things!
Happy late birthday to your man, you two are super cute together!

Maggie April 12, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Happy birthday CD! Love that dessert ๐Ÿ™‚

Adi ( - repaired!) April 12, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Homemade magic shell?! I always thought that was a “food” that couldn’t be recreated without test tubes and beakers… I’m happy you’ve shown me otherwise ๐Ÿ™‚

And congrats to your hubby on the race. Sounds like a great birthday.

Hope all is well Heather, and you’re enjoying your Easter Sunday!

raspberryrunner April 12, 2009 at 2:59 pm

what a awesome looking birthday dessert!! that is so much cooler than a cake :). I forgot about magic shell, yum!!!

glidingcalm April 12, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Happy Birthday to Chris!!! That dessert looks AMAZING!

Leng April 12, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Hi Heather!

What a cool bday cake!

It’s not too late to enter. The first day of the Challenge is today, Sunday.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 12, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Cool, just had my Salad Challenge meal of the day. Yum!

Melissa S. April 12, 2009 at 12:15 pm

What a great birthday dessert!!!

Julz April 12, 2009 at 11:47 am

My Beautiful Yogini:

HI <333 So I spotten some TEFF at my health food store and if you are still in search of the stuff and without, it would be my absolute pleasure to send you some! Just facebook me and let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

Love to you and the hubbers! Happy Birthday to him!!

Susan April 12, 2009 at 10:22 am

I would take that birthday cake over a regular one any day!! Sounds like he had a great bee-day ๐Ÿ˜€

Also, that’s a crazy 10k time!!

Sarah April 12, 2009 at 9:40 am

This comment is for CD:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! You are faster than I can even comprehend! Thank you for being a great husband to Heather, and helping her be the wonderful woman and friend she is.

Most importantly, thank you for teaching me to mix ketchup with BBQ sauce. My life will never be the same.

HAPPY EASTER to you both!

Emmy April 12, 2009 at 9:16 am

Healthy magic shell! SOOO cool.

FoodsThatFit April 12, 2009 at 9:09 am

Heather, this post just made my day! I am so glad that you liked the treats and feel honored that you included them in Chris’s birthday dessert. That is so cool!

Michelle April 12, 2009 at 9:08 am

Mmm Heather, that dessert looks AMAZING! I really enjoy reading your blog. ๐Ÿ™‚ Have a great day!

Emily April 12, 2009 at 8:57 am

Happy Birthday to Chris and congrats to him for a great race!

Your birthday concoction looks absolutely delish. Thanks for the magic shell recipe, too!

Have a great Easter Sunday, Heather! ๐Ÿ™‚

~Jessica~ April 12, 2009 at 8:50 am

That’s one impressive 10K time!

The ‘cake’ you made looks fantastic ~ it could be on the menu of a healthy gourment restaurant.

runsarah April 12, 2009 at 8:45 am

Happy Birthday to Chris – amazing PR! That dessert looks fantastic, I am so impressed…it belongs in a restaurant.

Allison April 12, 2009 at 8:36 am

Happy Birthday CD! Nice job on the race too!

LOL – nice job Radley? You little trouble maker ๐Ÿ™‚

and if anyone wants to know my opinion – I think Heather DEFINITELY needs the excalibur dehydrator! ๐Ÿ˜€

Erin April 12, 2009 at 8:33 am

Wow, that is an incredible amount of deliciousness on that birthday dessert! I have no doubt it was tasty.
I hope the chia seeds work out for you, I might attempt that flax pudding at some point haha. I should have boiled and frozen in it longer I think.
Happy Easter!

Ashley April 12, 2009 at 8:28 am

32:30?!?! Are you serious! Wow – he is my new hero. How long has CD been running/training for? That really is such an inspiring and unbelievable time for 10km!!!!

Your cake looks lovely Heather. Great tip about the chocolate. I absolutely love coconut oil – it is so versatile!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 12, 2009 at 8:33 am

Hey Ashley,
CD is always training. He ran all through high school and college. He runs. I yoga, and together, we carbo load. ๐Ÿ™‚

Erica April 12, 2009 at 8:21 am

Awwwwwwwwwww what a cute/sweet birthday cake! You are such a jammin wife! I bet he loved every bite. Great job on the race CD! Hahah- I love that they give the winner of a running race a year of ice cream?!

burpexcuzme April 12, 2009 at 8:05 am

Happy birthday to CD! how lucky is he to have you preparing that awesome dessert for him…that cookie is deliberately heart-shaped, right? how sweet!

jacobc April 12, 2009 at 7:55 am

Looks good! And congrats to chris- he could have easily won the 5k!
I see he ran a pretty speedy mile at vandy not to long ago also!

I was at a 8yr olds b-day party yesterday, then hiding eggs.. he had a “wall-e” shaped robot cake..haha.. It looked cool, didn’t taste quite as cool ;-p

Gina April 12, 2009 at 7:47 am

Happy Birthday CD! Dessert looks amaaazing.

ksgoodeats April 12, 2009 at 7:46 am

Abbie hooked you up! I’m kind of jealous of your package (that’s what she said ๐Ÿ˜‰ )!!

What a great birthday dish! Congrats to him on his run and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

cleanveggiex3 April 12, 2009 at 7:40 am

happy belated birthday! & congrats on your CD
awesome dessert!!

ahh i am so jealous your brother went to UNC!! He is so lucky – they only take about 8% of out of state students so its stretch for me, but such a gorgeous school.

janeexplained April 12, 2009 at 7:39 am

Delicious looking dairy-free birthday cake! Congratulations to your husband on the great PR!

Dori April 12, 2009 at 7:22 am

Congrats to Chris on the race! LOVE the cake, you are so much fun!

Emily April 12, 2009 at 7:18 am

HOLY GAUC! That is one amazing cake! I used to love, LOVE, love magic shell as a kid. I’m definately saving that one in my recipe file!

Happy Birthday CD!

With Love,

Anna April 12, 2009 at 7:02 am

Happy birthday to Chris! That “cake” looks awesome.

marafaye April 12, 2009 at 6:57 am

Happy Birthday to CD!!! I love the healthy birthday cake, and totally wish that the fiance would’ve asked for something like that instead of cherry pie!!!

Shelby April 12, 2009 at 6:53 am

WHOAAA, delicious overload!!! I wish you could make me a birthday sundae =) How perfect.

polly April 12, 2009 at 6:36 am

hi my sweet PEEP! XOXO

Abbi saw the coconut ice cream on top of that yummy birthday bliss and said “That is good ice cream! Is that the coconut kind?”

My girl KNOWS what is yummy!! =)

Love you, my sweet chocolate egg. You know now sweet you are to me.

XOXO Happy birthday Chris… he is just a baby!! Get up into the 30’s with us old farts! XOXO

Beadie @ What I Ate Yesterday April 12, 2009 at 6:36 am

Aw, what a wonderful birthday for CD. How sweet of you to make the most gorgeous birthday treat for him!

Alison April 12, 2009 at 6:32 am

Happy belated birthday to your guy! My husband read that he was physically only 20 given his healthy habits and he likes to consider that his age, rather than 35 ๐Ÿ™‚ Being several years younger than he, I particularly enjoy giving him a bad time about his age.

Great looking ice cream sundae!

ttfn300 April 12, 2009 at 6:31 am

happy bday to cd! love all those goodies that went into his cake ๐Ÿ™‚ and i can’t wait for that review, it’s been on my list to check out

coco April 12, 2009 at 6:22 am

congrats to CD and happy birthday to CD. the birthday cake seems so fun and yummy~~~
I’m joining you on the dairy free! ๐Ÿ™‚

VeggieGirl April 12, 2009 at 6:01 am

Happy belated birthday to Chris!! His “cake” look DIIIIIIVINE – the blondies ( ๐Ÿ˜‰ ), magic shell topping, ice cream… holy yum!!

Fabulous goodies from Abbie!!

Aww, Radley ๐Ÿ˜€