Back on the Mat & A Preview of the Week

by HEAB on April 13, 2009

After 7 days of no yoga and nothing but a few short walks, I went to a 6 AM vinyasa flow class this morning.  My back is still a little sore, but this morning’s class didn’t bother it at all, and many of the postures felt great.  So good to be back…so happy. :) Just needed a few days off and some time in the jacuzzi tub.  Much better now!

Let’s talk oats, shall we?

What is that big brown blob next to the almond butter?

What is that big brown blob next to the almond butter?

Why it’s chia pudding.  After my Chia Fairy sent me some goodies, she recommended I try this raw chia pudding recipe.  I did, and it’s a.m.a.z.i.n.g. and unbelievably easy! The shredded coconut and spices make quite the combo, but I did leave out the lucuma powder.  What is lucuma powder you ask?  Beats me – that’s why it ain’t in my puddin. :)

My obsession with chia seeds continued with lunch.  I blended 1 scoop of Jay Robb’s chocolate whey protein powder with 8 ounces of water.  After stirring in 3 TBSP of chia seeds, I placed my concoction in the fridge and went to work.  When I arrived home for lunch, I had a thick bowl of protein goodness waiting for me, but I wanted it thicker.  So, I threw it the Vita-Mix with a frozen banana and topped off my bowl of chocolate protein fluff with some crunchy peanut butter.

Chia seeds, where have you been all my life?!?

Chia seeds, where have you been all my life?!?

This bowl was so delicious that I just wanted to curse.  There I sat in my kitchen eating fluffy spoonful after fluffy spoonful thinking S&*t, this is damn darn good! Does good food turn you into a potty mouth? Those 3 TBSP of chia seeds added 152 calories, 12 grams of fiber, and 5 grams of protein to my smoothie in a bowl, not to mention 20% of my daily calcium! Hell heck yeah!  Freaking love the chia! Thanks again Abbie.

In addition to reading Philippians together, Polly and I are going oat free for 5 days….I’m starting tomorrow. :)  I love my oat bran, but I like to shake things up every once in a while.  Feeling like you’re in an oat rut?   Want to join us?  Come on, it will be fun – new breakfast adventures await us all (meaning I will be eating protein pancakes tomorrow :) ).

Speaking of protein, there’s going to be a showdown tomorrow on HEAB:

War of The Rice Protein Powders

Sexy Hot vs The Warrior

There will also be many of these consumed over the next few days:

What is your favorite PURE bar flavor?

What is your favorite PURE Bar flavor?

A huge thank-you to Rebecca at THE PURE BAR for sending me some samples and a very cool PURE Bar reusable shopping bag! PURE bars are all organic raw gluten-free energy bars…and I heard from someone that they might even be better than Larabars!  Thanks again Rebecca – can’t wait to try them!  Make sure and check out Veronica’s blog, as she is the creator of the PURE Bar.

OK, off to find new uses for my chia seeds. :)

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) April 13, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Heather- you are so brave to go 5 WHOLE DAYS without glorious oats. You are my hero =)

brandi April 13, 2009 at 2:24 pm

can’t wait to see your oat-free concoctions :)

I haven’t seen PURE bars around here anywhere yet! Enjoy them!

Shelby April 13, 2009 at 2:31 pm

I want to find Chia Seeds now! I don’t know where to get them =(
Your pudding sounds so fluffy and delicious.

I’m sorry but I can’t do it…no oats for 5 whole days?! I’m not prepared haha

Major jealousness over your Sun Warrior! I’ve been trying to convince my momma to buy me some with no avail =(

hopeinpeanutbutterandoats April 13, 2009 at 2:34 pm

mmm i love Philippians, such a good book! and your oat concoction looks mahhhvelous!

dailygoods April 13, 2009 at 2:44 pm

ah pure bars are amazing!!!! and i really want to try your chia seed creations! i’ve gotten them in my mix my own granola and cereal and they kind of remind me of mini tapioca balls! i want to make this pudding!!

Mandy A April 13, 2009 at 2:50 pm

5 days without oats?? I can’t wait to see what your new options are!

And I can’t wait to hear reviews on the new protein powder!! I need a good brown rice powder! :)

ksgoodeats April 13, 2009 at 2:54 pm

All these chia creations make me think of the plant – cha cha chia :)

I have never tried a PURE bar!! I want to find the Trail Mix one but it is no where to be found!

Chocolate-Covered Katie April 13, 2009 at 2:59 pm

I need to get me some chia seeds!

Sarah April 13, 2009 at 3:04 pm

I thought you and Polly had crossed your wires when I saw that big bowl of oat bran! I will unofficially join you…I went 6 months oat free when we thought Livy was allergic. I’ve found that pretty much anything you can do with oats, you can do with other grains too.

I think Jay Robb is Lucuama powder. Or maybe its just “Come Lucama muscles” powder.

(insert GROAN here)

Happy Monday!!!

Anna April 13, 2009 at 3:07 pm

I’m glad you had a smooth re-entry into yoga.
I’ve been feeling in a breakfast rut too these days with the same oatbran (or oatmeal). When I get home, I’m going to have fun creating some different AM eats!

coco April 13, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Can’t wait to find some chia seeds to try them out! both of these bowls seem so yummy~~~ :D

VeggieGirl April 13, 2009 at 3:47 pm

PURE BARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

RunToFinish April 13, 2009 at 3:53 pm

oh dang a show down… bam! I can’t wait to see what you say, seriously I’m so slow about picking up some protein for my smoothies but I need to.

glad that yoga felt good today…I want a jaccuzzi!!!

Melissa S. April 13, 2009 at 4:01 pm

you’re addicted heather, i think we might have to take you in to see someone for that chai seed obsession. LOL. glad you’re loving them!

runeatrepeat April 13, 2009 at 4:37 pm

You have officially sold me on Chia seeds.

runsarah April 13, 2009 at 4:49 pm

The chocolate brownie bars sound delicious! I’m interested in these chia seeds too, especially if they contain calcium!

Emily April 13, 2009 at 4:58 pm

Heather,

Chia? Sound incredible!Do I sense a new blog trend here?

Oh my gracious. I can’t believe you are going oat free for that space of time. I think I would die. Or at least freeze in place in front of my fridge trying to figure out what in the world to eat.

I’ve tried the chocolate brownie pure bar. Can’t wait to see what you think!

With Love,

Emily

lisaheartspizza April 13, 2009 at 4:58 pm

my favorite pure bars are the blueberry ones! they are SOOOOO good! They are also the only kind I have tried, so I am sure the rest are good too! Can’t wait to see the protein show-down tomorrow! I hope that Jay Robb’s dashing good looks don’t sway your impartial judging!

laughingkiwi April 13, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Hey Heather, do you know where I might find chia seeds? I’ve been wanting to try them for weeks and I can’t seem to find them at Whole Foods.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 13, 2009 at 6:57 pm

Laughing Kiwi,
I had the same problem and could not find chia seeds at Whole Foods. Did you look in the supplement section? My Whole Foods has a whole separate store next door for supplements and body care called Whole Body, and the chia seeds are sold there along with flax seeds and protein powders. Hope you find them!

bibixs April 13, 2009 at 5:12 pm

i felt in an oat rut so today i had grated carrot with yougrt, pecans and raisins!
it was worth it :)

marafaye April 13, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Isn’t Chia awesome?!?!? I love the stuff!! I love how it tastes, and the weird goo it gets… YUM! Must put chia in oats in the morning :)

Maggie April 13, 2009 at 5:13 pm

I actually moved quite smoothly from an oat rut to a toast rut when I went on the cruise! (The cruise oatmeal had milk in it – I don’t like milky oats + I was trying to avoid dairy.) But maybe I’ll try to get out of my toast rut :P

Alison April 13, 2009 at 5:29 pm

Do you find that yoga gives you enough exercise? I think I’d like to do more yoga/pilates, but it’s hard to give up cardio. I have found that decreasing cardio and increasing strength training has made a positive difference in my weight and body composition. I wonder if yoga would do the same.

raspberryrunner April 13, 2009 at 5:50 pm

you have completely convinced me that i need to try chia soon!

nice pure bar samples, and i love the reusable bag! my favorite flavor is cherry cashew…actually that’s the only flavor i’ve tried, but it’s really good!!

Emily April 13, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Chia pudding looks delish. I’m not sure where to get Chia seeds. Actually when I think of Chia seeds I think of Chia pets, but with all the amazing nutrition packed into those babies, it doesn’t bother me. :-)

Looking forward to your PURE bar reviews.

Hope your back continues to recover! :-)

Ashley April 13, 2009 at 6:20 pm

I’ve a heard a lot about how fantastic chia seeds are, and its great to read a review about them.

Lucuma is a sweet fruit so I’m guessing the powder you did without is some sort of sweetener.

The pudding looks great. I’ll need buy me some chia, and get into some pudding.

Erica April 13, 2009 at 6:23 pm

Love the chia usage. I cannot wait to hear how the jay robb rice protein is!If anyone can make a good rice protein- I have a feeling its Mr. Muscles himself!

justine April 13, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Heather, I am so jealous of your chia seeds!! They don’t sell them at WH? I actually stopped by this health food store in Goodletsville today and picked up some great stuff! Buckwheat groats, oat groats, bulk wheatberries (now you don’t have to share), and bulk oat bran. I am so excited to make something with them but have no idea where to start. Ant ideas? Maybe frozen wheatberry patties?? hahaha

~Justine

Erin April 13, 2009 at 6:52 pm

You did a good job of selling those chia seeds :) I might have to try to find some, and see if I can do better than my snot pudding.
I haven’t been too oat crazy lately, which is shocking. Good luck on your endeavors!
Oh, and I haven’t tried the Blueberry Pure Bar, but so far the Apple Cinnamon is my favorite! It was exceptional, but I thought some of the others were a little bland. Good stuff though!

Clare (Clare's Two Steps Forward April 13, 2009 at 7:54 pm

can’t wait to see your oat-free breakfast concoctions. I don’t know if I could do it! My dining hall has somehow found a way to make just oats and water into a wonderfully creamy bowl of goodness. How is it creamy? I’m not really sure…maybe they soak the oats overnight? Whatever they do, it’s great. I need it every morning!

thedaintypig April 13, 2009 at 8:44 pm

mmmmm those chia seeds looks wonderful! I have been meaning to try them forever!
I notice you have been loving the cocoa bliss!? Have you tried Artisana’s coconut butter? it is EVEN better, if that is possible.
I took a photo of it on my new blog. You should try the coconut butter, it is the perfect oat companion (for when you are back on the oat train), and wonderful just out of the jar with a spoon as well–of course.
Thanks for the chia inspiration. I LOVE your blog, it is one of my all-time favourites :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 14, 2009 at 6:37 am

Dainty Pig,
I love the Artisana coconut butter, but I can’t find it in Nashville. I stock up whenever I find it in other cities. The first time I had it was actually by mistake. We were in Colorado, and I went to the local health food store for coconut oil, but grabbed the coconut butter instead. It was definitely love at first bite!

Thank you for your kind words about my blog. What is the domain for your blog? I’d love to stop by and say “hi”. :)

orangepop April 13, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Cha-Cha-Cha-CHIA! You’re gonna start growing hair in funky spots… or grass out da ass (for your Chia-mouth LOL)… anyway.
Glad you’re back on the mat :) It’s glorious, isn’t it?! Can’t wait to see your oat-free days ahead!!!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 14, 2009 at 6:37 am

Orangepop,
You never fail to make me smile. :)

broccolihut April 13, 2009 at 10:46 pm

Hmm I am thinking chia should be in my future–it always looks so good!

I am completely jealous of your PURE bars. There are still a few flavors that I CANNOT find.

Elizabeth April 13, 2009 at 11:34 pm

Wow I cant believe you will be going without your oats for 5 whole days! :) I am excited to see what you come up with! Your chia concoctions look awesome.. they seem so interesting. Hope you have a great week!

Lara (Thinspired) April 14, 2009 at 1:42 am

I should have re-read your protein pancakes post before I attempted them on Sunday. I made them with a little oatbran as well as the egg whites and protein powder and they turned out really hard and chewy :(

I’ve only tried one flavor of the Pure Bars, the chocolate ones, and they are AWESOME!

I totaly friended Jay Robb on facebook in hopes of getting him to sell his products in England. Is that creepy?!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 14, 2009 at 6:31 am

Lara,
Not creepy at all. Jay Robb needs to spread the love among the Brits! :) Sorry about your pancakes – I would have figured the oat bran would have improved the texture. :(

~Jessica~ April 14, 2009 at 2:58 am

Breakfast and lunch creations look dee-licious! I laughed so much when you mentioned delicious food turning you into a curse-monster ~ I definitely know what you mean. The first time I tried a chocolate hemp protein shake (it’s not dirt I tells ya!) I did something very similar, only I vocalised my thoughts. In front of my mother, who wasn’t too pleased. Luckily she saw the funny side!

I’m definitely in the Sun Warrior corner in the battle of the protein powders ~ I’m vegan so I’m obviously biased but I bet the Warrior could kick Mr.Sexy’s behind any day…although I might change my mind if he truly does come out with a vegan rice protein. It’s great to find someone else who loves trying out various ‘protein’ creations as much as I do (although my personal battle is between Nutiva and Sun Warrior). Sadly I’m protein-less at the moment – when oh when will my order arrive!?

Darn UK residency means that I’ve never tried a Pure Bar but given my love for anything vegan and chocolate I would imagine my favourite would be either Choc Brownie or Choc Chip Trail Mix.

Yay for getting back into yoga! I do pilates and body balance but have never really managed to get into yoga as there are no local classes. When I used to have a membership to a different (and ludicrously expensive) gym I did try it a couple of times and found it very challenging as I’m not partiuclarly supple or flexible: I’m in total admiration of your 6am yoga dedication : )

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 14, 2009 at 6:30 am

Jessica,
Ha – protein lovers and potty mouths unite! I tried Jay Robb’s rice protein powder last night…not chalky! Will post about it later. Do you have your protein powders shipped to the UK? Wow, that must get pricey. Hope your order arrives sooon!!!

Susan April 14, 2009 at 4:39 am

Hey, I’m actually not eating oatmeal for once this morning!! Maybe I’ll join you in this challenge… Do oat-based things count? (I’m thinking oatmeal pancakes and breakfast cookies…)

I’ve jumped on the chia seed bandwagon and can’t wait to try out some puddings! Your protein puddin’ is definitely on my list!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 14, 2009 at 6:17 am

Hey Susan,
Oat-based things are just fine…let’s not get crazy now. :) We can’t be cutting out our favorite grain completely! Let me know how you like the protein pudding. Yum!

Holly April 14, 2009 at 6:34 am

Chia seeds? Interesting name! :-) I love Chia pets so maybe I would like chia seeds?

I can’t wait to see what you cook up for breakfast! I need to try the protein pancakes. My “alternate” breakfast for my normal oats is usually yogurt/fruit and maybe a little almond butter (mmmmm), but sometimes that just doesn’t fill me up.

I want to try Pure bars so badly! Word on the street is they’re extremely tasty.

Glad your back is feeling better and you’re back on the mat! :-)

healthy ashley April 14, 2009 at 7:42 am

Oh the oats look good :)

Glad you’ve gotten back to yoga and feel good!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie April 14, 2009 at 9:46 am

Those chia seeds are magical :)

I am embarking on a new protein powder too, and am curious to hear how the rice one works for you.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) April 14, 2009 at 10:14 am

F@#$ me, that pudding looks good.

Heabie, your cookies are out of CONTROL on Abbie’s blog. Is it your own recipe?? They look killer.

I would love to try chia seeds now – they look ideal for thickening stuff up along with a great nutrition punch. Actually…I included them in my Mix My Granola just because I’d never heard of them and figured I’d try em for free that way. They don’t add much taste dry, but now I’m thinking that granola mix would make a killer muesli since the chia would give it some great texture! ::lightbulb goes on over head::

Looking forward to the rice protein showdown since I’ve never had anything but the Jay Robb kind. I ended up not sending any to VeggieGirl either because I got worried about her allergies…I fail at care packages, haha!

gina (fitnessista) April 14, 2009 at 11:47 am

that pudding looks so good.. i totally agree, delicious food can make one curse like a sailor :D
i need to pick up some chia seeds now!! i’ll be eating pudding all the livelong day
happy (late) birthday to christian dior! looks like you had a wonderful celebration. yes, you do need an excalibur dehydrator :D
i’m SO BUMMED i’m missing you in az! we’ll be there the weekend of the 24th… hopefully this summer we’ll get to meet up! i’ve been begging tom to drive me to nashville to take yoga with you
can’t wait to see what happens when mr. goatee goes against the warrior protein
have a great day!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 14, 2009 at 7:08 pm

Gina,
Would love to do some oven yoga with you!!! :)

MizFit April 14, 2009 at 11:58 am

I order my chia online—hidalgo foods.

and oat free? not for me :)

right now anyway.

I shall never say never.

Jenn (eating bender) April 14, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Ch-Ch-Ch Chia!! Sorry, I couldn’t resist ;)

I have never seen nor heard of Chia seeds until reading Abbie’s blog. And now yours, of course. That puddin’ looks insane – I definitely would have been cursing up a storm, but I’m kind of a potty mouth anyway, so it wouldn’t be anything new. Usually when I tell people that, they are shocked. But just ask my family and Bobby!

I am intrigued that you are giving up your beloved oats! I can’t wait to see how many ways you can make a protein pancake ;) KIDDING!!

Ya know, I received PURE bar samples a while back and slowly made my way through them – they truly are amazing. But I’ve never tried the blueberry or cran-orange flavors!

Can’t wait for the protein powder throw down! Have an awesome day, Heather!

Jessica (jesslikesithot) April 14, 2009 at 1:21 pm

Yum, I don’t even think I have ever had chia pudding…..but from the looks of your pictures (and the fact that it was so good you we’re throwin down curse words like a sailor) I need to try it ASAP! :)

I’ve only tried the cranberry orange purebar so far, and it was alright….but I am excited to try my apple cinnamon flavor soon!

finkleberry April 14, 2009 at 1:24 pm

I’ve never had Chia seeds. I’m amazed at all the different ways you can eat them. cool.
xoxo, Hannah

eatingbirdfood April 14, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Your chia seeded lunch looks like melted cookies and cream icecream. And from the way you talk, it might taste even better than that!

So glad you were able to get back to the mat today. I’m going to yoga tonight- yippee.

~Jessica~ April 14, 2009 at 2:58 pm

Yep, my protein gets shipped over and the prices are pretty huge ~ but I rationalise that I order large amounts at a time which last me for months and months. I also forego other purchases such as new clothes (haha) and virtually everything else to make sure I can afford a protein fix. I really am that sad! Actually the shipping wasn’t too bad ~ £25 ($40) for two HUGE containers so I can live with that…if it ever arrives lol.

Elina April 15, 2009 at 5:11 am

That chia pudding looks heavenly. I definitely curse when I have really good food ;) I love it when it’s healthy too!
I’ve only tried the cherry cashew pure bar and loved it! I hope you love them too. I’m jealous of your stash :)

labbassiscisa March 5, 2010 at 4:17 am

The response level to local and national disasters is awesome but it’s a damn shame that so many people take advantage of the negative situations.

I mean everytime there is an earthquake, a flood, an oil spill – there’s always a group of heartless people who rip off tax payers.

This is in response to reading that 4 of Oprah Winfreys “angels” got busted ripping off the system. Shame on them!

Lesa March 7, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Nice post. heahtereatsalmondbutter.com deserves an oscar.

Alva March 9, 2010 at 6:54 pm

And this is the main reason I love heatehreatsalmondbutter.com. Killre posts.

{ 7 trackbacks }