Rice Protein Smackdown

by HEAB on April 14, 2009

Gentlemen, to your corners…

Sexy Hot vs The Warrior

Sexy Hot vs The Warrior

Last night, I busted into my Jay Robb strawberry sprouted brown rice protein powder and stirred it into a bowl of oat bran (pre-no oat challenge) topped with PB & Co. Mighty Maple and Artisana’s Raw Cacao Bliss.

Berry Protein Delight

Berry Protein Delight

Per 30 gram serving, Jay Robb’s rice protein powder contains:

• Calories: 110
  • Fat: 0.5 grams
  • Carbs: 4 grams
  • Fiber: 2 grams
  • Protein: 24 grams
  • Vitamin C: 2%
  • Calcium: 10 %
  • Iron: 30%

Suggested retail price for a 24 ounce container (22 servings) is $33.73 or $1.50 per serving.

The taste: Most rice proteins I’ve had in the past taste really chalky.  The Jay Robb powder did not, but the berry flavor was a bit funky.  Something tasted off, and I’m thinking I would prefer the vanilla or chocolate.

This morning I woke up and put 1/2 cup oats quinoa in my rice steamer.  For a fair comparison, I wanted to try the Sun Warrior in a bowl of grains…not cooked in pancake form. When the quinoa was done cooking, I threw it in the Vita-Mix with 1/4 cup water and 1 scoop of Sun Warrior vanilla rice protein.   My toppings were almond butter and raw chia pudding.

Looks like oats, but I promise it wasn't. :)

Looks like oats, but I promise it wasn't. :)

Per 21 gram serving, Sun Warrior’s rice protein contains:

• Calories: 70
  • Fat: 1 gram
  • Carbs: 4 grams
  • Fiber: 1 gram
  • Protein: 15 grams
  • Calcium: 8%
  • Iron: 20%

The online price of a 2.2 pound container (47 servings) is $48.95 or $1.00 per serving.

The taste:  I’m used to whey protein, and rice protein is just different.  That being said, I can’t tell you how delicious this bowl was!  A few weeks ago, I tried a sample of Sun Warrior in my morning oat bran, and I do not remember it tasting this good. The Sun Warrior is not as sweet as Jay Robb, and I loved the vanilla flavor.  To be fair, I think I need to try Jay Robb’s vanilla flavor, but right now my vote goes to Sun Warrior.  Sorry Jay…you know I love ya!

Both rice protein powders are vegan, contain all natural ingredients, and are sweetened with stevia. However, Jay Robb is manufactured in a facility that processes other products which may contain soy, dairy, wheat, tree nuts, shellfish, fish, peanuts, and eggs and may contain traces of all of the above.  The folks at Sun Warrior informed me that their protein powder is processed using all allergen free equipment, and therefore, there is no possibility of cross-contamination.  Both protein powders are low-heat processed, Sun Warrior’s at no more than 120 degrees, and Jay Robb’s at no more than 125 degrees.

OK, so I feel like a total traitor, but so far I’m more impressed with Sun Warrior. That being said, I still want to try Jay Robb’s vanilla rice protein as I wasn’t a huge fan of his strawberry flavor.  Anyone else interested in trying some Jay Robb?  Come on, I know you are.  Need a little more prompting?  Well, how about 20% off your next order?!? Thanks to the lovely folks at Jay Robb for providing this coupon to all of my readers!

hdblogcouponGo visit Jay Robb online right now and start shopping…especially all of you whey protein fans out there.  Jay’s whey is THE BEST!!!

justine April 14, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Heather, Your morning quinoa looks yummy. I made some a few weeks back and is was gag worthy!! I really want some Jay Robb brown rice protein. Will you be getting it at work?

~Justine

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 14, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Justine,
Yes, we will probably be getting the rice protein at work once the bigger sizes are available (2-4 weeks) or so. I’ll hook you up! :)

brandi April 14, 2009 at 3:02 pm

hmm…maybe this coupon is what I need to finally try me some Jay Robb.

that quinoa looks good!

Sarah April 14, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Poor Jay Robb. I bet his vanilla is tastier. And for once, I don’t mean anything dirty by that.

Erica April 14, 2009 at 3:20 pm

hmmm I am going to look for the jay robb rice- I really want to try it! I do love my Jay Robb Egg White protein!Thank you for the honest review ;)

Emily April 14, 2009 at 3:21 pm

Thanks for the comparison…err…showdown!

I actually haven’t ever tried protein powder before (except once in Sports Nutrition class and it wasn’t too tasty). Jay Robb and Sun Warrior sound much better..thanks for the coupon! :-)

Have a great day!

FoodsThatFit April 14, 2009 at 3:34 pm

Heather-

Such great info!! There are so many different protein powders out there, but I have heard the most positive things about the Jay Robb and Sun Warrior, so it is nice to see a comparison about the most popular 2.

The coupon is great, but now I am really wanting to try Sun Warrior, the nutrition stats rock!!!

I noticed the Artisana Cacao Bliss…isn’t it the best!!! I tried it and am in love, it is super smooth and creamy!!!

amy (veganissexy) April 14, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Ooooh! I’m saving this coupon for when they come out with the bigger bags of brown rice protein. I’m all over the chocolate! Thanks Heather for the coupon, and JRobb for hookin you up! Yay!

Megan April 14, 2009 at 3:49 pm

ahhhhh, coupon!!!!!!!

i love protein powders so effing much, thanks for the review girlfrienddddd.

I NEVER curse, but I often have food-induced spurts of foul language, and sometimes even sexual-type noises. inappropriate? yes. creepy? probably. but food=true love. i cant control myself :)

VeggieGirl April 14, 2009 at 3:51 pm

HELL YES FOR SUN WARRIOR!!! :-D

runsarah April 14, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Thanks for the reviews! Still fairly pricey for me and my measly Canadian dollars, though…maybe I can find some on sale.

Susan April 14, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Hmm…I may have to break my “no ordering food product online” rule and put that coupon to good use. The in-store whey powder options around here suck, maybe I just need a little tasty Jay Robb in my life!!

Graze With Me April 14, 2009 at 4:44 pm

Sweet, gotta love a discount! Do you find that adding protein to your morning meal keeps you full for a longer period of time? Because that’s probably the only way I would use this stuff…

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 15, 2009 at 10:45 am

Graze With Me,
Yes, adding protein to my meals definitely helps to keep me full. I need protein AND fat every morning, or I turn into a ravenous beast 1 to 2 hours after breakfast. Carbs alone don’t do it for me.

Erin April 14, 2009 at 4:53 pm

You traitor. Just kidding. I loved the side by side comparison!
Annnd I am super happy about that coupon, and may be purchasing some non gag worthy protein powder.

Carolyn April 14, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Just tried to order… If the promo code is HDBLOGJ9 they don’t recognize it… came up as not valid when i tried to order… Am i doing it wrong?

peaceandpeanutbutter April 14, 2009 at 5:06 pm

Breakfast is looking fabulous..I’m dying to try that Chia pudding!!!

Megan April 14, 2009 at 5:41 pm

i had the same problem as carolyn.. sad :(

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 14, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Megan,
So sorry – I’ve emailed the folks at Jay Robb. Will let you know as soon as I hear back from them.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 15, 2009 at 10:14 am

Hey Megan,
The Jay Robb promo code should work now. Sorry about that!

Sammie April 14, 2009 at 5:48 pm

Both of your protein creations look delicious. I am most definitely trying Sun Warrior for my next protein mix. That Raw Chia Pudding recipe sounds so yummy. I wish I had some dates on hand so I could make it.

Shelby April 14, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Oh I would love to try Jay Robb’s as well. But first on my list in Sun Warrior, it sounds heavenly!

Melissa S. April 14, 2009 at 7:04 pm

love the smackdown…i wish i liked any protein powders but i can’t get myself to like them…arg.

RunToFinish April 14, 2009 at 7:09 pm

ok well i want the sun warrior discount :) so work on that for me will ya?

lisaheartspizza April 14, 2009 at 7:22 pm

mmmm blended vanilla quinoa for breakfast!?!? maybe there is something to be said about this oat free challenge after all. looks delish, and i know you are creative enough to eat delicious breakfasts while staying oat-free

ksgoodeats April 14, 2009 at 7:27 pm

Jay Robb is turning into the blogging community’s bicycle, everyone gets a ride if ya catch my drift ;)

marafaye April 14, 2009 at 7:30 pm

I have a major crush on Jay Robb now :)

coco April 14, 2009 at 7:47 pm

great product review!
quinoa pudding looks amazing!!! :)

Adi (oatonomy.com - repaired!) April 14, 2009 at 8:06 pm

Thanks for this review, Heather. It’s so hard to decide on what new products to buy when they’re on the expensive side… who wants to spend a lot of money on something they end up hating? Bleh!

OrangePop April 14, 2009 at 8:47 pm

so… if you heated the quinoa bowl with the protein powder, does that destroy some of the nutrients & raw-ness?!
ANNNYYway, thanks for the “match-up!” too cute :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 15, 2009 at 4:27 am

Orange Pop,
I didn’t actually heat the Sun Warrior protein powder with the quinoa – I just added it to the blender with the warm quinoa. So, I’m hoping I didn’t destroy and nutrients or enzymes. I have cooked it in pancake form before…oops. :)

Elizabeth April 14, 2009 at 10:03 pm

That Artisana Cacao Bliss looks freaking amazing! Everytime I see it I want to lick a spoonful of it! :)

Don’t feel like a traitor… its so you can give all on stalkers the info we need! I love hearing about all the things you try and create!

Alison April 14, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Thanks for the reviews! Quinoa in a rice cooker is such an interesting idea!

broccolihut April 14, 2009 at 10:42 pm

I had no idea Jay Robb made vegan powders–I thought he just made egg white and whey versions. Thanks for the info!

~Jessica~ April 15, 2009 at 2:47 am

Another pair of beautiful breakfasts! And yay for Sun Warrior ~ I knew he would come out on top (this is starting to sound like an episode of Gladiators, no?)

Holly April 15, 2009 at 6:57 am

Thank you so much for the honest review! I’ve yet to enter the world of protein powder, but I would like to give it a whirl. It’s nice to hear what other people think first, since it’s kind of a hefty price tag. :-)

Amy April 15, 2009 at 8:46 am

We’re totally on the same page. I’m on a no oat kick right now too and am getting ready to go make a quinoa and coconut milk breakfast concoction to take it’s place.

Thanks for the protein powder review! Thinking about trying one of them soon.

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) April 15, 2009 at 8:50 am

Thanks for the product reviews!

eatlivelovedream April 15, 2009 at 9:12 am

Oh Heather!!! Your always hooking us up with something! Love it!!

Michelle November 13, 2009 at 3:43 pm

I am just finding this post because I just bought Jay Robb’s rice protein powder. Too bad I didn’t find it first so I could use the coupon! Was wondering if you have heard of this brand – Nutribiotic – and what you think. Also, any good shake recipes?

Heather Eats Almond Butter November 13, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Michelle, Nutribiotic is okay. I’ve tried both the unsweetened chocolate and vanilla flavors. Jay Robb is sooo much better. I use his rice protein everyday – stirred into cooked oats, pureed with winter squash or sweet potatoes, and I love making protein pancakes: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/protein-pancakes/ and protein ice-cream: http://heathereatsalmondbutter.com/recipes/protein-ice-cream/. For some good smoothie recipes, check out this blog: http://pimpmyproteinshake.blogspot.com/. Enjoy your Jay! Sincerely, Heather

lizlivingvegan August 16, 2010 at 11:42 am

I haven’t been able to find Jay Robb’s Rice Protein powder anywhere! :(

Heather Eats Almond Butter August 16, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Liz, I know…it’s on backorder. :( Sun Warrior is still a really good option. I do love their chocolate rice protein powder!

Ashlei May 8, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I love the idea of blending cooked quinoa and water! Genius. And I love love love the sunwarrior stuff!

{ 2 trackbacks }