Heat The Salmon Butt

by HEAB on April 18, 2009

Nate so graciously pointed out that if you rearrange the letters of Heather Eats Almond Butter, and then remove a few, you’re left with Heat The Salmon Butt. Nate, I hope you don’t mind, but I’m stealing this phrase to describe all of my recipe disasters.  My first Heat the Salmon Butt worthy dish? Raw cheese:

Looks good but tasted like ass.

Looks good? Well, it tasted like ass.

After spicing my raw cheese up with some paprika, thyme, garlic, and pepper, I served it atop a serving of refried beans and chips broccoli. Yuck. I salvaged what I could of the beans and then tossed the rest of my fermented paste cheese in the garbage.  About 3 years ago, I tried a version of this cheese at a raw food’s workshop I attended, and it was delicious.  I have now tried to recreate it twice, both times chucking the final product.  Never again my friends.

Cashew cream in coffee Round 2:

I miss Coffee-Mate.

I miss Coffee-Mate.

I’ve tried cashew milk in my coffee before, but after reading Go Dairy Free, I decided to try the book’s recipe for Nutty Half & Half, a thicker version of what I’ve made in the past. I blended 1/2 cup raw cashews with 1 cup water and 1 TBSP of maple syrup.  After straining the cream overnight in the fridge, I was left with a lovely batch of creamy rich cashew fluff.  I added a heaping spoonful to my morning coffee along with some French vanilla stevia drops, but decided that my whipped cream would taste much better with a smoothie in a bowl, and it did. :)

Much better than in my coffee!

Much better than in my coffee!

Taking Susan’s advice, I attempted to go to a different yoga studio in town, one that teaches Inyengar style yoga.  After looking at their schedule online, I showed up ready for class at 8:30 AM this morning, but no one was there.  Weird.  I tried calling, but the outgoing message told me to look at the website for a class schedule.  Oh well, I tried, and I might drive by tomorrow to see if they’re open. Hope so!

I leave you with an all raw creation that was definitely NOT Heat The Salmon Butt worthy:

Chris and I had an all raw wedding cake...yum!

Our raw wedding cake...yum!

Off to walk the pups.  Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

theskinnyplate April 18, 2009 at 2:31 pm

The cake looks beautiful. How does one make a raw cake? What’s inside?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 19, 2009 at 7:03 am

theskinnyplate,
Our wedding cake was made by a local raw foods chef. It was made with layers of fresh fruit, cashew cream frosting, and layers of dried fruit pressed into sheets. It was amazing – I’m hoping to post about it as so many people are curious. Enjoy your Sunday!

Shelby April 18, 2009 at 2:42 pm

You has a raw wedding cake?! How lovely!

Anna April 18, 2009 at 2:49 pm

I love love LOVE Nate’s blog. I just can’t be in a public place when I read it (aka the library) because I literally can’t stop laughing.

I agree with the above comments- Let’s hear more about that wedding cake, please!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 19, 2009 at 7:03 am

Anna,

Sarah April 18, 2009 at 3:10 pm

I’m sorry you cheese bowl didn’t turn out how you wanted. It at least looked pretty.

There’s got to be a dairy-free/soy free creamer out there somewhere right?

Have a lovely weekend, HTSB!

bibixs April 18, 2009 at 3:30 pm

awww such a pretty cake!!
how did u made it?

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 19, 2009 at 7:02 am

bibixs,
Our wedding cake was made with layers of fresh fruit, cashew cream frosting, and layers of dried fruit pressed into sheets. It was amazing – I’m hoping to post about it as so many people are curious. Enjoy your Sunday!

VeggieGirl April 18, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Dirrrrrty new blog name, haha ;-)

CAKE!!

ksgoodeats April 18, 2009 at 4:11 pm

You guys had a raw wedding cake?! I LIKE!!

I’m liking the name remix as well!

runsarah April 18, 2009 at 4:30 pm

Your cake is gorgeous!! Hmm…maybe I need to request a raw one now!

coco April 18, 2009 at 4:36 pm

I just got the book today, can’t wait to read it! :)
that cashew cream looks so interesting!!! :)

Ashley April 18, 2009 at 5:01 pm

I love cashew cream – but I never strain my. Such a good idea! Hopefully you can get into some yoga tomorrow :-)

Susan April 18, 2009 at 5:51 pm

Boo about the yoga!! Hopefully they decide to show up tomorrow. I’m interested to hear what you think of it.

That cashew cream looks delightful. Totally makes up for the stinky cheese!

Kiersten April 18, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Sorry the raw cheese experiment didn’t work out. It looks like you made up for it with the cashew half-n-half though. What do you think of Go Dairy Free? I have been thinking of buying it.

Kristie April 18, 2009 at 6:21 pm

Heat the salmon butt… hahah that is too cute. I envy your bravery in trying so many different and crazy food experiments. RAW CHEESE. Seriously, I don’t know if I’d ever want to tackle trying that one out! Even if it was a flop… I still think the things you try out are beyond awesome.

Must hear more about this raw wedding cake! It’s so so pretty. Did you make it yourself, or get someone else to make it? What kind was it, what was in it, how did it TASTE? All the delicious details!

Hope you’re having a Happy Healthy Heather weekend! :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 19, 2009 at 7:01 am

Kristie,
Yeah, don’t try and tackle the raw cheese. Not so good – at least not my version. :)

Our wedding cake was made by a local raw foods chef (her raw cheese is amazing!). It was made with layers of fresh fruit, cashew cream frosting, and layers of dried fruit pressed into sheets. It was amazing – I’m hoping to post about it as so many people are curious. Enjoy your Sunday!

Alison April 18, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Hey Heather – I did my first official yoga class this morning. I loved the stretches, but I definitely think I’d prefer something like the power yoga you described. Thanks again for the advice!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 19, 2009 at 7:00 am

Alison,
So glad you tried yoga! Definitely try the power yoga, but believe me, sometimes the slower stretching classes are just what our bodies need. Trying to do more of that very thing myself. :)

Maria April 18, 2009 at 7:03 pm

YUMM!!! The raw cake looks fabulous! Please fill us in on the details. Have a wonderful rest of your weekend.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 19, 2009 at 6:59 am

Maria,

Sally April 18, 2009 at 7:39 pm

Heat the salmon butt- that’s hilarious! Sorry your cheese sauce didn’t turn out, but hey, it was worth a try. I hope you had a nice walk :)

Graze With Me April 18, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Haha, I’ve always referred to things as tasting as ass! I always got made fun of…..sorry your cheese didn’t live up to your expectations!

Kath April 18, 2009 at 8:01 pm

LOVE THE KERF MUG!!!! I need one :(

And love Heat The Salmon Butt :)

Jessica (jesslikesithot) April 18, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Heat the Salmon Butt?!?! Haha, that’s so hilarious that a few missing letters from Heather eats almond butter turns into that!!!

Um, AND THAT RAW CAKE LOOKS DELICIOUS!!

Maggie April 18, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Good luck with the new yoga. Odd that it wasn’t open! I’ve learned so much since I started doing more than just power/ashtanga! I like the gentle yoga now, and I actually don’t like ashtanga anymore. I don’t really know what Iyengar is (my studio offers it but I’ve never taken it). I like Anusara, like Polly. I think my favorite kind is actually the YogaFit style of Hatha yoga – it’s very flowy, but nothing too intense. If you ever have a chance you should take one of the trainings! Even if you don’t want to be a teacher they are very good for self-awareness.

lilveggiepatch April 18, 2009 at 10:40 pm

Your cake is beautiful! What flavor was it? Yummy!

Also, I’m going to completely creep you out when I tell you this, buttttt… you were in my dream last night! I don’t even think it was about food.

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 19, 2009 at 6:58 am

lilveggiepatch,
I’m honored to have invaded your dream. :) Let me know if you ever remember what it was about. Hilarious!

broccolihut April 18, 2009 at 10:43 pm

Gorgeous cake!

Recipe man April 18, 2009 at 11:44 pm

the cake is amazing!!! thanks.
the pics too.

Lara (Thinspired) April 19, 2009 at 3:33 am

That title made my morning ;)
I was addicted to CoffeeMate before I moved to England. When I got there, they only had the powdered, unflavored stuff, so I gave it up quick. Now I just use unsweetened plain soy milk, but I guess that isn’t an option for you :( Have you tried almond milk? Cashew stuff looks good, but maybe the almonds would be sweeter?
Your raw wedding cake is adorable! Was it tasty?!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 19, 2009 at 6:55 am

Hey Lara,
I have tried almond milk in my coffee and didn’t like it so much. However, I tried it with the powdered stevia which I don’t like all that much. Now, I’ve got flavored stevia drops, and they are so much better – don’t have that funky aftertaste that the powder does. So, perhaps I’ll try almond milk again with my french vanilla drops.

The wedding cake was delicious. So many people have asked, and so I’m going to post about it. Hope you had a good weekend! :)

Pearl April 19, 2009 at 4:20 am

okay. now i’ll never be able to forget “heat the salmon butt.” and you have a raw wedding cake? how. incredibly. COOL.

may i add you to my blogroll? :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 19, 2009 at 6:52 am

Pearl,
Add away. Thanks! :)

Beadie @ What I Ate Yesterday April 19, 2009 at 4:57 am

Sorry for the recipe disaters :( Better luck next time. And same goes for the other yoga studio!

Emily April 19, 2009 at 7:46 am

Heather,

Please do post about the cake. I’m intrigued!

Have a great Sunday!

With Love,

Emily

eatlivelovedream April 19, 2009 at 8:19 am

Oh Heather! Sorry the raw cheese tasted like it came out of somebody’s bum! I can’t stand when I put effort into food and it just doesn’t turn out! I think it hits my ego harder then anything!
AT least that cake looks amazing and I want to take a bite right out of the computer!

Erin April 19, 2009 at 9:24 am

You have been cracking me up with your posts. Sorry you have had some recipe disasters, at least these streaks are usually followed by good streaks, right?
The cashew cream does look delightfully fluffy, too bad it wasn’t a good coffee match. I hope you find something you like soon. I’m usually a black coffee girl, myself.
And I look forward to a post on that cake, I’m very curious!

elise April 19, 2009 at 10:36 am

hahaha…sorry about the disaster (i love the heat the salmon butt phrase). good idea in theory?

did you really have a raw wedding cake? can you give me the company name? im in the market for a vegan wedding cake at the moment and i need help!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 19, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Hey Elise,
Again, congrats on your engagement. :)

Yes, we really did have an all raw cake, and it was amazing! I hired Laura Bunton, a local raw foods chef, to make it for us. Her website is http://journeytobliss.net/blog/.

Erica April 19, 2009 at 1:07 pm

That cake looks awesome. You are so brave at experimenting with new/different foods- I am seriously SUCH a scardy cat! I dunno that I could put anything other than dairy in my coffee…I tried that almond milk and uck!

Megan April 19, 2009 at 2:53 pm

nutty half and half– i want it!

i didnt know your wedding cake was raw!!! SO COOL!! fruit, cashew cream frosting, omggggggggg. i lovessss itttt :)

heat the salmon butt lol, nate rocks for coming up with that. i think it’s the perfect term to describe failed dishes. i may have to use it in honor of you the next time i totally F something up (which is nearly every time i try to make something)

Jenn (eating bender) April 19, 2009 at 5:00 pm

I love the new “Heat the Salmon Butt” edition – although of course, I’m always hoping that your recipes will turn out delicious for you ;) That Nate is hilarious!

I’m so sorry that both attempts at making raw cheese haven’t worked out. I think I would be terrified!

The cashew fluff LOOKS really good, but I think I’d have to agree that I’d probably prefer it in a smoothie rather than in coffee. I think I’ve decided that soy doesn’t hurt my tummy, so I might be ok to go there. I hope that you can find something that works.

I love your beautiful wedding cake! Enjoy the rest of your Sunday!

ttfn300 April 19, 2009 at 6:34 pm

raw wedding cake?? in awe!!

Megan April 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Love your Blog!! I love reading about healthy eating! I have never laughed so hard – “Tasted like ass”

Thank you for your inspiration!!

Elizabeth April 20, 2009 at 12:08 am

Haha..I’m sorry your cheese tasted like ass but I have to say thats one of my favorite phrases. I say it about pretty much every gross food and no one appreciates it. :)

sorry the yoga studio wasnt open..thats pretty lame! Especially since it was 8:30 in the morning and you were there with nothing!

I hope you had a great weekend! (And yes, its really hard on me to not eat all day at work.. but I’m working on that! :) )

Emily April 20, 2009 at 7:14 am

I laughed when I saw your “new” blog title. Hilarious.
I’m sorry the raw cheese didn’t turn out.

Your cashew milk cream looks really good and fluffy! I didn’t even know you could make cashew cream…let alone that cashew milk exists.

Your wedding cake looks amazing and sounds amazing from the above comments. I’d love to create something like that!

Hangry Pants April 20, 2009 at 8:38 am

Sorry about the cheese! Does your house still stink?

Have you tried hemp milk in your coffee? I haven’t, but I’ve read some people enjoy it.

I can’t wait to learn more about that cake. :D

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 20, 2009 at 8:56 am

Hey Hangry Pants Heath,
I have not tried Hemp milk in my coffee, but I heard it curdles. I’m willing to try it though if you’ve heard good things as I do love Living Harvest’s vanilla. Thanks for the tip. Hope you had a good weekend!

Rebecca April 20, 2009 at 10:19 am

Hi Heather,
How did you strain the cashew cream? I’m interested in trying the stuff out, so I blended it up and then went, “Oh no. This isn’t creamy.” lol

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 20, 2009 at 10:25 am

Hey Rebecca,
I poured the cashew cream mixture into strainer lined with an industrial sized coffee filter (you can also use cheesecloth or paper towel). I then placed the strainer over a medium sized bowl to catch all the liquid and put it in the fridge overnight. Hope this helps. The final product is delicious!

Michelle Hisae April 20, 2009 at 11:14 am

What a concoction with the cashew cream! It looks so fluffy and divine!

gina (fitnessista) April 20, 2009 at 8:34 pm

you had a raw wedding cake?!?! it’s freakin amazing… absolutely gorgeous!
so sorry your cheese experiment didn’t turn out as planned. it looks delicious though! i don’t think i could make my own cheese– it would creep me out too much
the cashew cream is genius… i might have to whip some of that goodness up this week
hope you and christian dior have a great night <3

Allie (Protein Girl) December 28, 2009 at 8:37 am

The cake is lovely and deserves its own post, if not its own blog!

{ 5 trackbacks }