Don't Forget Your Electrolytes

by HEAB on April 26, 2009

After posting my thoughts on excessive cardio this past Friday, I was prepared for some negative comments, but by the time I got back from yoga class, my inbox was full with nothing but positive feedback.  Thanks to everyone for your kind and encouraging words.  I guess we all need to be reminded how important it is to honor our bodies, myself included as I read several of your comments while lying in a hospital bed. Oh, the irony.

Long story short, after getting some routine blood work done around 1 PM on Friday, I drove about a block before realizing something was not right.   I pulled into an empty parking lot, and within one minute the world was spinning.  I started throwing up and broke out into a cold sweat.  Thankfully, I managed to call CD. His office was not far away, and he was by my side within 5 minutes.   He quickly drove me to the ER, where they drew more blood and then started pumping me with fluids.  Apparently, I was severely dehydrated, and my potassium levels had bottomed out…the doctor asked me if I had done an intense workout lately, Did you sweat a lot this morning or something?  Um, does hot yoga count?

Anyway, the doctor was amazed that after 2 bags of fluids, I still had not asked to be unhooked from my IV to use the bathroom.  I was in bad shape!  Honestly, I thought I was drinking enough water as I had 32 ounces during and after class followed by 16 ounces of herbal tea. However, there were several contributing factors that landed me in the hospital:

1. I was not hydrating enough before class. Coffee instead of water? Bad idea!
  2. My electrolytes were completely out of whack.
  3. I have very low blood pressure…not sure why, but it was 88/50 at my last check-up, and I tend to get light-headed fairly easily.

Needles, giving blood, etc. usually don’t bother me, but on Friday, it was the straw that broke the camel’s back.  Let’s just say I’ve learned my lesson! As the weather gets warmer, make sure you are getting plenty of potassium and perhaps add a little salt to your diet if you plan on a sweat-filled workout the next day (I never salt anything). As far as sports drinks go, make sure you pay attention to the ingredient list. Ultima Replenisher and Emergen-C’s Electro-Mix are both good options with all natural ingredients and zero sugars. Coconut water is also an excellent source of electrolytes following an intense workout.

Our cupboards are now stocked with potassium rich foods:

Chia seeds, sweet potatoes, avocados, bananas, and Emergen-C Eletro-Mix

Chia seeds, sweet potatoes, avocados, bananas, and Emergen-C Eletro-Mix

I’m still feeling a bit weak and nauseous, and the thought of coffee disgusts me right now.  Unfortunately, so does the thought of a caffeine withdrawal headache. So, for breakfast I made chocolate mocha oat bran.

Mmm...caffeinated oates. :)

Mmm...caffeinated oats with homemade walnut butter. :)

I cooked 1/2 cup oat bran with 1 cup water and then stirred in 2 TBSP of chia seeds, and let the chia seeds go to work while I made my walnut butter.  After about 15 minutes, I poured my thickened oat bran into the Vita-Mix with 1 packet of Jay Robb chocolate rice protein powder and a spoonful of this:

Pot O' Caffeine

Pot O' Caffeine

My mom bought me this espresso powder for use in baking, and it’s just been sitting in my cabinet untouched.  Mom, my head and belly thank you as this not only prevented a caffeine headache, but also made my oats delicious! I can’t wait to try it in some cookies.

Will I continue to do yoga in a heated studio?  Yes, but I’m going to make sure I hydrate more and drink some sort of electrolyte replenisher immediately after class. There will be no more early cups o’ joe prior to class, and I’m hoping to cut out coffee altogether.  I know I don’t do well with acidic drinks anyway.  I have another month left of my package at the hot yoga studio, and once it ends, I think I’ll just take classes here instead.  Plus, I’m going to do no more than 3 days of hot yoga a week.

Please please please learn from me.  Again, listen to your body and don’t overdo it. See, we all need to hear this, and perhaps I just need to hear it more often than others. :) Friday’s little incidence only reiterated the fact that I need to get past my I have to get my sweat on mentality!

Hope you guys had a wonderful weekend.  I’m going to go rest now.

glidingcalm April 26, 2009 at 11:46 am

so scary Heather! I’m so glad you are okay. Don’t scare me like that alright?!

your oats look marvelous, and I’m so glad your are now home safe and sound.

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) April 26, 2009 at 11:47 am

Woah, Heather! I’m just glad you are okay!!! It’s so important to stay hydrated…I always forget that and realized how important it is after this morning’s bike ride. I caught myself going straight for coffee after…bad idea! Water, water, water!

Hope you feel back to normal soon. Much love!

Anna April 26, 2009 at 11:53 am

Ahhh! What a nightmare. I am SO relieved that you are ok, though!
I must have been reading your mind this AM, because when I went out for a short run in the 90-degree heat I was thinking the whole time about the importance of salt, electrolytes, and how I tend to sweat a LOT as well as have low blood pressure. So when I ate lunch after the run, I made sure to liberally sal the wrap I made (as well as drink looooots of H20).

Hope you feel better soon!

Shelby April 26, 2009 at 11:56 am

I’m so glad your okay!!!

I never worry about this stuff but I will make sure to be concious of it in the future.

Hope those oats made you feel better =)

nieves April 26, 2009 at 11:58 am

I’m glad you’re feeling better Heather– and I’m glad Chris happened to be close by. That sounds like it would have been so much worse to deal with alone.

I have been thinking of quitting coffee recently, and frankly it sounds terrifying! I have drank coffee every morning since childhood– I can’t imagine my life without it. This statement alone makes me want to do it though, you know? I was reading a macrobiotic website the other day and the author (Jessica Prentice maybe? I don’t remember) stated that because caffeine is such a powerful drug, due to the cycle of assimilation and excretion, your body goes through so many changes that if you have drank coffee for years and need it every day than you might not have ever met your true self! At first I thought that sounded a tad dramatic, but the more I think about it the more that sounds exactly right. I mean, I struggle with anxiety (the symptoms of which include a pounding heart) and I also drink coffee every day (physical symptoms include the same) so it stands to reason that one affects the other eh?

Nevertheless, SCARY. I have tried to give up coffee twice and each time was like torture. Slowly. I’m thinking slowly.

Let me know if you decide to do it girl! We can cheer each other on.

runsarah April 26, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Oh my goodness, I am so glad to hear you are okay! Thank you for sharing as this is a definite wake up call for me. I drink a fair amount of coffee and not enough water and have been dehydrated more often lately, leading to muscle cramps. I have a history of low blood pressure and dizziness as well. I hope you feel 100% again soon.

Heather (be well & take care) April 26, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Oh no, that must have been so scary. Luckily you were able to call CD and he got to you so quickly. I’m glad you’re doing okay, though. Take care of yourself, lady!

brandi April 26, 2009 at 12:08 pm

i hope you get some good rest this weekend! that is never fun to be out of whack and not know it until you get sick.

Michelle April 26, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Wow, I hope you’re feeling better soon! My mom had to take my sister to the ER a couple weeks ago because she was dehydrated too, and my mom said it was 4 hours before my sister had to use the bathroom. Get some rest and get better! :)

Graze With Me April 26, 2009 at 12:20 pm

Wow, scary stuff – glad you’re ok and had CD there at your side. The mocha oat bran looks awesome, keep hydrating!

Sarah April 26, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Just texted you, love.

I hope you are taking a few days off?!

Definitely throw a banana in your Jay Robb shakes. I’ve got to find a way to make you smile…something about Jay Robb shaking his banana…I’m a little foggy headed.

Just goes to show you can overDO anything…even Jay Robb jokes.

Love you HEABS, TAKE GOOD CARE!!!

Susan April 26, 2009 at 12:52 pm

Ohno!! I’m happy to hear you’re alright Heather, I hope you’re recovering okay! How scary! Hydrating is definitely important, as are sodium and potassium when you’re sweating lots. Thanks for sharing your story!

Although, I drink excessive amounts of water. I’ve actually been concerned that I’m drinking TOO much!

Now go eat some bananas missus! :P

Briana in Tucson April 26, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Holy moly, Heather! I’m so glad you are doing better. I’m also glad that CD was nearby and able to help you.
I know how scary something like that can be. I had a similar incident a few months ago. It wasn’t even that intense of a workout but I had been sweating A LOT. A few hours later, I was curled up in a ball, cramping, dizzy, nauseated, weak, getting sicker… It took the boyfriend feeding me tiny sips of Gatorade from a dixie cup while I was curled up on my bed for me to start feeling human again.
I’m so glad you’re back on your feet and doing better. Take care of yourself and know that we’re sending you good vibes from Tucson, AZ!

Alisa - Frugal Foodie April 26, 2009 at 1:17 pm

Oh no! Glad you made it through, but that couldn’t have been fun.

I am totally like you, low blood pressure and continuously dehydrated (love that hot yoga too!).

I am actually trying to make a “recovery drink” up now for a new fitness program we are doing, and electrolytes are the big key. Unfortunately, because Emergen-C is low sugar, it doesn’t offer enough in the carb department for recovery. It seems you need a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein for a recovery drink with electrolytes too. Working on it! Thanks for keeping me motivated!

FoodsThatFit April 26, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Heather!!!

I am so glad you are o.k.! How scary! I wish I could have been there to be your nurse :)

It is amazing how the body reacts when the electrolytes get out of whack, and how long it can take to correct them. I agree that the Emergen-C is a great choice to add some electrolytes.

Another thing I do, that is fairly cheap, is to just add a splash of 100% fruit juice (doesn’t matter what kind, I like Knudsen’s) to your water bottle so that you are also not over diluting all the electrolyes in your system with just water, with can be the problem with over hydration.

Get feeling better Heather and have a wonderful Sunday!!!

orangepop April 26, 2009 at 1:36 pm

HOLY MACKEREL, HEATHER!!! Thank goodness you called CD & took care of everything. That Coffee Mate doesn’t hydrate well?! Hmm.. Lemon with water has me looking forward to drinking more than plain. Also, as a rule:
If you’re thirsty, you’re already getting dehydrated!
So… drink, even if you’re not thirsty :)
Take care, glad you’re gettin’ that K!

rediscoveringlauren April 26, 2009 at 1:39 pm

hi heather, ive been reading your blog for a while now, but this is my first time commenting! wow that sounds like a very scary experience, but im glad to hear your ok now. Its scary how dehydration can be so dangerous. electrolytes being balanced is so important for our body too and its so easy to forget about that. i hope you feel 100 percent better soon :)
and i loved your post on cardio…i found it so inspiring and so fantastic that you posted it! It was inspirational to read about your journey to finding an excersise that you had a healthy mindset towards, so thanks for sharing your personal story :)
take care of yourself, rest up lots!!

Pearl April 26, 2009 at 1:54 pm

oh heather – i’m so glad that you’re feeling better now and that you’re okay! get some rest this weekend :)

p.s. have you ever seen “idiocracy?” the title of your post just reminded me of it :)

Adi (oatonomy.com - repaired!) April 26, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Heather, I hope you start feeling 100% again soon! I’m glad you’re okay… take care of yourself! :)
And nope, can’t say I’ve bought more almond butter, which is pretty sad. I want to go to Costco to buy a big fat jar of the Maranatha brand, but I don’t think that will be anytime soon.
Might have to settle with something cheaper :)
I’ll have lots of water today in honour of you! Enjoy your Sunday.

polly April 26, 2009 at 2:04 pm

XOXO my sweet H. :)

You know you’ve been in my prayers all weekend. My H girl is all banana’d up now! Potassium, baby! ;)

I made your little oaty balls today! A and D are gobbling them up! I also made almond butter and basically licked the food processor clean… in Heather and Polly fashion. ;)

I think I have a new name for your little cookies… hmmm it’s a surprise. Better read YIY tomorrow. :) XOXO

Amy April 26, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Thanks for reminding us, Heather. I’m glad you’re feeling alright.

Not sure of your reason for not using salt, but I was recently introduced to this Celtic Sea Salt through my Natural Foods class (Google it – it was the first thing that came up). It is actually doctor recommended, has electrolytes, and has the proper balance of sodium, magnesium, and potassium to open up your cells and prepare them for absorption rather than shut them down (as table salt does). It also has a really clean taste that I find really pleasant.

Hope you feel better! Let me know if you have any questions about it.

Erica April 26, 2009 at 2:18 pm

oh my gosh! I am so glad you’re ok! That is super scary- thank GOODNESS you pulled over when you did. Feel better and take care.

Erin April 26, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Oh, Heather! So sorry this happened to you. What an awful experience, but I am so glad it wasn’t worse and you found out about it before anything awful happened. The body is so complex!
I do remember reading that a cup of coffee requires that you drink twice as much water to undo the dehyrdating effects of it. Or something scary like that. You know I go bonkers on the caffeinated stuff so if you need any support while stopping, I’m here.
Oh, and about the need constant reminding to not overdo it. Yeah, I agree. We are very similar in that.

Meredith April 26, 2009 at 2:23 pm

So glad you’re ok!!!

Jen April 26, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I had no idea potassium was so important. I’ll definitely keep that in mind as the weather warms up. I really hope you feel better! :(

elise April 26, 2009 at 2:46 pm

great post (again)…sorry your blood work took a turn for the worse. as a cardiac icu nurse we check (and replete) our patients potassium and magnesium levels on a daily basis because they are SOOOO important in how your body functions. potassium especially, since it is a major factor in cardiac muscle working correctly…so way to bring attention to it. i learned a little lesson myself today too (sadly, since its runner 101 info). i was running in my first half marathon ever, and i was feeling good, and then i hit a WALL. turns out, all i needed was a little gatorade and water…but i suffered through 6 miles before the idea came to me. suddenly it was like i was new again. i was like, how could i not recognize this?!? its 80+ degrees, the first heat wave of the year…and i was trying to go the distance camel style. um, hello?

Kath April 26, 2009 at 3:01 pm

Glad you’re OK!!

the dainty pig April 26, 2009 at 3:04 pm

wow!! drink up and get lots of rest–hope you feel better soon! One of my MOST favourite things ever to drink after a long sweaty practice is some coconut water. Have one of those and a bit of water before the coffee, and you’ll feel so wonderful :)

Chocolate-Covered Katie April 26, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Yikes Heather! I’m so glad you’re ok!!! *Sending good vibes your way*

Oh, and I totally drink those green electrolyte thingies too… and coconut water :)

jacobc April 26, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Woah! Scary, glad CD came to the rescue quick..
That yoga room must be awful hot.. get some salt packs like the marathoners..
Take care of yourself!

Briana April 26, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I’m glad your ok, it sounds like you had a scary time. I’ll make sure to drink lots of water, especially that it’s supposed to be 90 here tomorrow!

coco April 26, 2009 at 3:59 pm

sorry to know that you felt so bad… hot yoga can cause you dehydration easily that why I prefer normal yoga or just lightly heated.
I have low pressure too 90/60 is when i feel my best and during summer 50/80 is common. I’ll learn from u to consume more potassium.

ksgoodeats April 26, 2009 at 4:11 pm

Oh no!! That’s so scary! I’m glad you’re okay!! Rest up, alright?!

Mocha oat bran?! You’re speaking my language!! That sounds scrumptious! Thank you for your recs for TJs and WFs – I wrote it all down!

Andrea@WellnessNotes April 26, 2009 at 4:19 pm

How scary! I’m glad you are doing better. Yes, it’s so important to listen to our bodies… What timing that this happened right after your wonderful post the other day… I guess it shows that we can’t listen enough… How often have I pushed through pain and not listened to my body when I should have!

Continue to take good care of yourself!

Jessica (jesslikesithot) April 26, 2009 at 4:55 pm

Heather!!!! I’m glad you are ok!

That oat bran sounds very ideal for me, I love coffee-flavored anything! BUT, I’m not even a big coffee drinker!!!

Feel better and rest up PLEASE!!

eatlivelovedream April 26, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Oh Heather! I can’t believe that happened! I’m so glad that your better now. What a scary thing to have happen, and what a wake up call it is for all of us. We need to drink plenty of water. I guess it follows suite with your post before on taking care of your body. I’m learning this one too.
Continue to rest up!!

Emily April 26, 2009 at 6:09 pm

Heather, that sounds so scary! I’m glad you are ok and that CD was close enough to drive you to the ER.

Thanks for the good reminder to increase electrolytes as the weather gets warmer. I have been drinking a ton and am still thirsty! I do try to include foods containing salt post-sweaty workouts.

I hope you feel better soon! :-)

zestycook April 26, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Glad to hear you are ok Heather! Be careful :)

zesty

Sammie April 26, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Oh sweet Heather – I am so glad that you are ok. You must have been so freaked out. I hope that you were able to get lots of rest. Lots of hugs to you girlfriend.

Angela April 26, 2009 at 6:28 pm

Oh my gosh…that is ironic. Im so glad you are ok. Wow that is scary stuff. ((Massive hugs))

Andrea April 26, 2009 at 7:05 pm

I’m so glad you’re okay! I’m the worst about drinking water, and although I’m never thirsty, I sometimes worry about being too dehydrated. Thanks for the reminder we all can use :)

Cherie April 26, 2009 at 7:35 pm

HEATHER!! Oh my gosh! I am so sorry that happened. I’m glad you are OK!!!

raspberryrunner April 26, 2009 at 7:56 pm

oh no! i’m glad you are doing ok now! nice stocking up on the potassium foods :)

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) April 26, 2009 at 8:10 pm

Glad you’re okay!

Kiersten April 26, 2009 at 8:15 pm

I’m glad you’re okay Heather and that it was nothing more serious than that!

Your oatbran sounds awesome. I’ve put instant espresso powder in oatmeal a few times and it’s delicious! If I didn’t already drink coffee in the morning with my oatmeal I’d probably do it more often.

Take it easy and I hope you feel better soon!

Sally April 26, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Oh my gosh! I’m so sorry that happened to you! That’s very odd that you were dehydrated even though you drank a lot of water. I hope you feel better. Take it easy ;)

eatingbirdfood April 26, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Goodness gracious heather- what a friday. I am really glad that you are home and doing well! That is one thing I sometimes forget about. I feel that I get plenty of water but with hot weather and lots of cardio you really have to drink lots. Rest well this weekend.

lisaheartspizza April 26, 2009 at 9:23 pm

HEATHER! I am so glad you are OK! you are so right, you need to listen to your body and stay hydrated! Glad to see you stocked up on potassium. Keep drinking! And in your previous post-you look absolutely adorable upside-down and I am jealous of your biceps!!!!!!!

Emily April 26, 2009 at 10:01 pm

glad you are ok! Did they give you potassium at the hospital? I’ve gotten iv potassium twice in my life and both times were the worst experiences of my life!

broccolihut April 26, 2009 at 10:09 pm

I really must try chia seeds…got a fave brand?

Elizabeth April 26, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Oh my gosh Heather!! How scary for that to happen…but I’m glad you are doing better now! What a great lesson learned. You must have been doing lots of sweaty yoga to get that dehydrated becasue I would think the mount of water you were drinking would be enough too! Rest and drink up and take care of yourself my friend! Have a great week!

Ashley April 26, 2009 at 11:57 pm

Oh my goodness! What a horrible ordeal! Good thing you pulled over when you did, and CD was able to come get you so quickly!

I never really hydrate much before I exercise, so this is very good advice! I think a lot of people can learn from your experience. You really do need to be kind to your body and give it what it needs.

On the brightside, at least you had a delicious breakfast to make you feel a little better? Mocha oat bran sounds really yummy! And you put those chia seeds to good use :-)

Lara (Thinspired) April 27, 2009 at 3:25 am

Heather!! Yikes, I am so glad you are alright. I’m really realizing lately that the body does have its limits and it does (as my parents tell me when I’m sick) “talk to you,” to tell you when it’s had enough. I think since we’re young and strong we just assume we can push it all the time, but you never know what might be the last straw, as you pointed out. Giving blood does make me woozy and I can see how that combined with all the other factors made your body freak out. I’m so sorry, but I’m so glad you’re alright now.
And of course, you’re all properly stocked now to prevent it in the future! Hehe. I love the pro-activeness.
Hope you are feeling better and more like your old self again soon, friend!

MizFit April 27, 2009 at 4:49 am

another reason why I love the bikram but dont do it.
its too much FOR MY BODY—which I always assumed was entirely unique to me.

Rachel April 27, 2009 at 6:47 am

Hi Heather..glad you’re okay now! I’ve been reading your blog on and off for the past few weeks and sorry to read today about what happened. Keep hydrated girl x

Gena April 27, 2009 at 7:17 am

Oh my gracious, Heather!! So glad that you’re OK. It’s definitely crucial to get electrolytes and potassium (and it’s also important not to OVER hydrate, washing out electrolytes). Everything in balance!! xo

Holly April 27, 2009 at 7:32 am

Heather!!! I’m SO GLAD you are okay and that your knight in shining running shorts was able to come get you. :-) Giving blood is a tricky thing….I do it because it makes me feel good, but I definitely have to watch myself and my food/water intake the day of. I hope you take a couple of days off and feel better!

Jenn (eating bender) April 27, 2009 at 8:17 am

I’m so glad that you’re ok, Heather! Emergency trips are not fun. I have a tendency to get lightheaded very easily as well, and had a similar incident happen to me when I was in middle school. I was buying ice cream at an amusement park one minute and the next minute I was on the ground being dragged away by my friend’s mother. The concession stand lady was still holding my money out to me and yelling, “here’s your change!!” Nice. Turns out, I was dehydrated.

It’s so interesting how much our bodies need hydration. I’m definitely guilty of not getting enough. Thanks for the tip on potassium and salt.

I love that you have espresso powder! That looks fantastic.

I hope you have a wonderful week!

jessica~ April 27, 2009 at 8:32 am

Oh, that is scary stuff!! I learned about hydration & electrolytes last year when I was preparing for the 3-day walk. Sometimes water just isn’t enough. I like to drop a Nuun (electrolyte) tablet into my water bottle (kleen kanteen) for each work out. They are sugar free and not horrible tasting (ugh, gatorade!). I also have a banana a day, either in my smoothie or in my oatmeal at breakfast. In addition to potassium bananas have lots of glycogen – which is good for your muscles in the repair process. Hope you are feeling better!

Meghann April 27, 2009 at 11:20 am

OMG Heather!! I am so glad you are ok!! That sounds so scary and like something that could possibly happen to me as well. I need to consume more electrohydrates as my marathon training intesifies and my dad is always on me to add more salt in my diet. Rest up girl and thank you for the important lesson!

ttfn300 April 27, 2009 at 12:41 pm

oh my, i’m glad you are ok!! scary stuff, but you’re right about hydration, I was reminded this weekend as I was chugging so much water b/c of the heat :) especially since we’re not used to it yet!

Don April 27, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Heather is right about the benefits of chia seeds. They provide a great source of electrolytes and help keep you hydrated.

If you’d like complete nutritional information on chia seeds, we have it posted at our site, http://www.ChiaSeedsDirect.com. We also have very low prices on chia seeds and free shipping.

peanutbutterandjuli April 28, 2009 at 12:44 pm

I realize I might be a (few) day(s) late and a dollar short, but I am so glad to hear you are feeling better. Also your post about eating hits the mark– I am trying to move towards more “whole” healthful living.

Love love love

dailygoods April 28, 2009 at 12:51 pm

ah heather i’m glad you’re okay now! it’s crazy how much we sweat during hot yoga and that we don’t realize how dehydrated we really can get. i’m so glad you were able to get to the hospital ok! I’m so glad youre allright <3

Dori April 28, 2009 at 8:10 pm

I just read this now, sorry I am so behind! Oh Heather I feel so awful that you had to go through that. I don’t hydrate nearly enough…. now I will keep this in mind and do my best to. I am so happy you are okay!

Kelsey May 28, 2009 at 7:00 am

This is exactly what is happening to me!! A blog reader told me she’d read about this on your blog.. It is really scary– but I don’t want to stop going to yoga– eeerlack!!

eatmovelove March 20, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Wow, thanks for directing me here HEAB….I drink ALOT of liquids – water, tea, hot chocolate, coffee (decaf?), OJ sometimes, MILK’s (different kinds)…but I am still thirsty alot…but I still wonder about the sodium at times cause I get so full and bloated easily after meals….then again maybe I just eat too much? ;) …or could be the veggies….can’t win can I?

Erik May 1, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Hey, I know this is an old post – but I just had the same exact experience a few weeks ago. I went for a middle-range distance run (12 miles) without getting enough electrolytes before and after the run – and I hit the wall like nothing else. I was severely dehydrated and vomiting so profusely that it ripped a small hole in my esophagus, so I was dehydrated as well as bleeding internally. Three fun-filled days in the ICU!

Heather Eats Almond Butter May 1, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Erik, Oh gosh, I am so sorry. I hope you’re doing okay now. I had no idea how important it was to keep those electrolytes in balance, but I definitely learned my lesson that day! Again, hope you’re all healed and listening to your body. Take care.

Wendy Heath July 28, 2010 at 12:45 am

Low blood pressure and low potassium levels go hand in hand. I’ve also made a trip to the ER for dehydration and bottomed out potassium (from using my albuterol inhaler, causes a potassium shift).

Heather Eats Almond Butter July 28, 2010 at 8:11 am

Wendy, Ugh, that day was the worst. I am so careful now about getting overheated and try and stay well hydrated. I’ve also added more salt to my diet which has helped a lot!

{ 5 trackbacks }