A Jar? A Bowl? Why Not Both?

by HEAB on May 11, 2009

Some fun eats from my last few days in Arizona:

Bulked up Beans = Bulked up Belly

Bulked up Beans = Bulked up Belly

I served my Trader Joe’s salsa flavored refried beans Gliding Calm style with lots of sauteed veggies and topped with half an avocado.  This was so filling and so delicious, but the best part of the meal was the view from my in-laws back patio:

Arizona, I miss you. :(

Arizona, I miss you. :(

An excellent (read not a frozen pattie from a box) veggie burger with sweet potato fries at BluBurger Grille:

Burger in a lettuce "bun" with too many toppings to remember.

Burger in a lettuce "bun" with too many toppings to remember.

Chris and I flew back to Nashville Sunday afternoon, and I came home to 3 fun packages, but I’m only going to share two with you today.  You’ll have to come back tomorrow for package #3. :)

Now I can stare at Mr. Quaker everyday.  Jay, don't be jealous!

Now I can stare at Mr. Quaker everyday. Jay, don't be jealous!

The amazing and talented Emily over at Curly Top sent me a print of a painting she did after I took part in her April Challenge. Emily is an amazing blogger, and I love her sense of style.  Emily, will you please come decorate our house? :)

Package #2 came from the precious LovIN My Tummy Sarah:

Look, Jay Robb love included.

Look, Jay Robb love included.

Sarah, you already held a special place in both mine and CD’s heart, but now we love you even more!  Can’t wait to try the Justin’s Almond Butter! Thank you so much!

While CD went to pick up the dogs (we boarded them at a farm an hour outside of Nashville), I unpacked, did laundry, and went to the grocery store.  When I got home, I made Chris a Hugh Jass salad with all kinds of goodies, and instead of making myself one, I had what I really wanted.  The following picture is why I don’t blog every single meal I eat, but I’m just going to put it out there.  I do some pretty bizarre things with my food:

Call it what you will...lazy, gross, disgusting?  I thought it was rather brilliant myself. :)

Lazy, gross, a work of art? Call it what you will, but I thought it was rather brilliant myself. :)

I whipped up a batch of purple cauliflower oat bran, and just dumped it into my jar of almond butter since there were only about 2 spoonfuls left.  I then proceeded to lick the jar clean. Whole grains, vegetables, protein, fat…what more do I need?

Father & son reunited:

Einstein did not leave CD's side all night, or maybe it was the other way around.

Einstein did not leave CD's side all night, or perhaps it was the other way around.

CD’s Random Comment of the Day:

Um, Heather Pie…what are these purple chunks floating in the Vita-Mix? Oops, my bad. :)

Pearl May 11, 2009 at 1:29 pm

oh that view is beautiful!

brandi May 11, 2009 at 1:33 pm

beautiful view! i’ve never been to AZ.

I’m so glad you got back safely!

Amy May 11, 2009 at 1:34 pm

So glad you had a safe trip back to TN! I love the jar idea. Convenient, easy to dispose of, and delicious, Im sure. Yah girl!

<3 amy

Jen May 11, 2009 at 1:36 pm

I totally do the lazy jar thing too, except with my bulk tubs of plain yogurt. If I have just a few scoops of yogurt left, I’ll mix together a yogurt bowl in the big ol’ plastic tub. Looks totally gross, but definitely still bloggable! ;) I love all of the great packages you received today, and CD’s comment of the day!

janetha May 11, 2009 at 1:38 pm

genius is what it is. pure genius. that way you can get all the almond butteryness that is on the sides of the jar too. you should trademark that move. p.s. i adore your dog, and the fact that his name is einstein. <3

Amanda May 11, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Definitely a brilliant idea with that jar. Don’t be ashamed – we all have totally weird food habits :)

Marissa May 11, 2009 at 1:50 pm

I’ve had that Chai tea – it’s really good! I’ll have to check out that BlueBurger place!

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) May 11, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Haha I love it!! Best way to use the end of a jar of AB =)

justine May 11, 2009 at 2:05 pm

HEATHER!!!! I missed you so. I want to know all about your trip. You need to call me later when you get a chance so we can catch up! Love your jar bowl. I thought it was a smoothie in there :) . Boy was I wrong! haha

~Justine

Erin May 11, 2009 at 2:13 pm

That view! Arizona looked amazing, and I love sweet potato fries so much.
I’d say brilliant as far as your meal goes.

Gina May 11, 2009 at 2:14 pm

You are too cute, although I’m a little wary of your purple oat bran, haha. Glad you had a good time in AZ!

Sarah May 11, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Glad you loved my randomness in a box. Only you could truly appreciate it ;)

Is it okay to use the jar as a serving vessel if it still has three inches of nut butter in it? Just askin.

Welcome home!

Shelby May 11, 2009 at 2:29 pm

I’ve done that with my nut butter jar too =) It’s amazingly delicious and so fun to eat!

Gorgeous Arizona picture…I miss it so much!

Run Sarah May 11, 2009 at 2:29 pm

That veggie burger looks fantastic! I need to find this lovely purple cauliflower I keep seeing around blogland.

glidingcalm May 11, 2009 at 2:31 pm

thanks for the shout out! what’s funny is I totally saw the beans and started licking my lips.

hurray for Sarah Lovin!!!

and hurray for breakfasts thrown in jars. that is clever and I love it.

Emily May 11, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Heather,

Welcome home! I’m so glad you like the print. :D And I would gladly decorate for you…but we’d have to find an empty room to turn into your Jay Robb shrine.

With Love,

Emily

Melissa S. May 11, 2009 at 2:43 pm

what a great view! wish i could go to AZ!

Andrea@WellnessNotes May 11, 2009 at 2:52 pm

The veggie burger looks soooo good! And the view is just the best! I’m glad you had such a nice trip.

Alisa - Frugal Foodie May 11, 2009 at 3:14 pm

Those are some awesome packages!

Um, yeah, that does look a little bit gross :)

Kath May 11, 2009 at 3:34 pm

LOVE that Quaker painting!!!

And OMG – brilliant idea with the jar!! I am totally going to do that when I run out of my next kind :)

Becky@ I Heart Running & Food May 11, 2009 at 4:09 pm

What fun packages to come home to! The jar idea is great…I also tend to get every little drop of nut butter I can. I still have yet to try purple cauliflower though!

ksgoodeats May 11, 2009 at 4:10 pm

I picked up those salsa beans from TJs thanks to your recommendation! I need to use them! That veggie burger looks awesome!!

HAHA – that card from Sarah is perfection! In regards to eating out of the AB jar, if people can drink tea out of jars why can’t we eat out of AB jars? Don’t want to waste that precious gold!

Aw father and son look cute!!

Susan May 11, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Hahahaha, Heather, you’ve been holding back on us!!! Cauliflower oats in an AB jar?? I love it!

Ashley May 11, 2009 at 5:06 pm

I think I’ll have to do a Heather tomorrow and have my oats in my almond butter jar – I have about a tablespoon left
too *sob*

Glad to hear you had fun in Arizona – what a beautiful view!

Emily and Sarah are both stars! What great gifts :-)

polly May 11, 2009 at 5:29 pm

okay H…

the VIEW, the avocado love, the purple crap in the almond butter jar, the pup with his daddy, and knowing you are home again safe?

all of it YUMMY :) xoxo

psychoj1 May 11, 2009 at 5:32 pm

I love the oats in the jar. Looks really good to me! Haha, love his comments!
<3 jess
xoxo

nicolegodiva May 11, 2009 at 5:45 pm

What a great idea when there is only a little nut butter left!! My boyfriend always gives me gross looks when I lick the vitamix clean of some gross looking oat or green smoothie concoction. So I can relate! Looks like your trip was great = )

Erica May 11, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Hey Heather! What a fabulous trip. Both your mixture and the meal from the restaurant look incredible! Glad you guys made it back safe and got the puppers! I hate leaving Frank! Sounds like you’ve found a great kennel though- I’m so jealous…we’re still in search of one we love.

healthy ashley May 11, 2009 at 6:23 pm

I love the oats painting! How perfect is that for a blogger :)

Your eats look wonderful. They’re all healthy but tasty!

carolinebee May 11, 2009 at 6:37 pm

Heather, don’t lie I know that’s just a little topping of cauliflower in that jar :D !! I had no idea Arizona is so gorgeous- what a great vacation, but I do know how nice it is to be home in your own bed and shower..and obvi the puppy and vitamix are nice too!

Dori May 11, 2009 at 6:45 pm

That painting is SO cool! I love it! Also, your sweet potato fries look so yummy!

Sarah May 11, 2009 at 7:35 pm

oat bran in an almond butter jar. that’s the most beautiful thing i’ve ever seen.

ttfn300 May 11, 2009 at 7:41 pm

aww, cd and einstein :) welcome home!

FoodsThatFit May 11, 2009 at 8:00 pm

At first I thought it was yogurt in your AB jar, and I was like, hey I thought she gave up dairy!!! Nope, just some lovely veggie oats! I need to step on board with that one, but I’m a wee bit nervous…but it’s kind of like a Green (or purple in today’s case) Monster in a bowl, right??

Your little puppers is the cutest!! Can’t wait until the day we can have a dog!!!

So glad you made it back safely. Your trip looked like so much fun, and it is so cool you were able to be there over Mother’s Day with CD’s mom, I bet she loved that!

I never knew Arizona was so green. I am guessing the pic is of a golf course, but still!! And wow, with the mountains in the background…I could like someplace like that :)

RuntoFinish May 11, 2009 at 8:06 pm

glad i’m not the only one who makes really weird concoctions of food

Emily May 11, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Arizona looks absolutely beautiful. I love palm trees; they always make me feel like I’m somewhere exotic…and we definitely don’t have those in the Midwest!

Sweet potato fries + veggie burger look a-mazing. Seriously. I now want SP fries for dinner tomorrow.

As for your cauliflower creation, no need for apologies. You can eat what you want! I’ve been known to make some weird creations using random fridge leftovers, but I’m usually too lazy to post them (plus, they’re ugly). Love CD’s random comment. :-)

Alison May 11, 2009 at 9:31 pm

Sigh…that picture makes me homesick.
Those beans look great. Was it just canned refried beans over sauteed veggies? It looks so fancy.

homegirlcaneat May 11, 2009 at 10:09 pm

I’m totally digging the almondbutterbowl invention! So innovative and delicious ;)

Arizona looks beautiful! I used to go to boarding school in Chattanooga, TN for two years and the weather was WACK! Tennessee gets so much rain! And the mugginess kind of killed me but then again, it was so different from California (my home!) dryness..so I embraced it!

Elizabeth May 12, 2009 at 12:17 am

I love Arizona! I’m glad you had fun and made it home safe and sound! That veggie burger and SP fries looks pretty amazing, as does that view!

Jessica (jesslikesithot) May 12, 2009 at 12:20 am

I loveeee how you got all resourceful with that almond butter jar and threw your meal in there! Smart thinkin’ Heather, I love it! Can I also say that BluBurger Grille looks like an amazing place and CD and your pup are adorable….reunited at last!

Megan May 12, 2009 at 12:57 am

bahahhaha, CD makes me laugh every time!

yummmmyyyy– purple substances being eaten out of nut butter jars!! yes, please!!

i made your oaties last night, btw. AMAZING.

Samantha May 12, 2009 at 3:48 am

I’m really loving CD’s random comments!

The Jay Card is awesome!

And that avocado is just droolworthy.

Lara (Thinspired) May 12, 2009 at 4:40 am

Hi Heather! I’m glad you’re back safely :) I can’t get over how delcious those SP fries look. It’s a great foodie pic!
That painting IS lovely. I will have to check out Emily’s blog after this. It’s so well-suited to you!
And Sarah’s package is classic…I am kind of jealous but I do hope you enjoy! I have a couple packs of Justin’s in my cupboard that I have been saving from CA. Oh, and I love your AB bowl ;) Less dishes!

Mandy A May 12, 2009 at 8:14 am

Hey there!!!

So glad you’re home and that you had a great trip! :)

Can’t wait to see you next weekend!!!

Melanie May 12, 2009 at 8:31 am

There’s nothing wrong with eating out of the jar! It’s being frugal (getting the very last bit of something and not wasting) and green (not wasting water by creating another dish to wash).

The SP fries look soooooooooooooooooooo good. I love them!

Holly May 12, 2009 at 9:01 am

That view is absolutely stunning?! WHY have I never been to Arizona, again?

I am with you on the BB packets. It took too much work to try and go to town and squeeze it all out (TWSS). I am the SAME way with toothpaste containers. Interesting how I spend 10 extra minutes per bottle squeezing the remnaints out, yet I’ll spend how much of almond butter? ;-)

SO glad you had a great trip!

Holly May 12, 2009 at 9:02 am

P.S. And I’m BUMMED I missed the Pa Ingalls/JR poll the other day! Is it weird/gross that I had a mad crush on Pa? Okay, particularly in the older episodes.

{ 8 trackbacks }