New Nut Butters

by HEAB on May 12, 2009

As part of Katie’s New Foods Challenge, I sampled 2 new almond butters, and yes, Katie said that would totally meet challenge guidelines. :)

I received this lovely little packet from Sarah and could not wait to try it with my breakfast yesterday.

Almond butter + maple syrup = sweet nut happiness

Almond butter + maple syrup = sweet nut happiness

I’ve been wanting to try Justin’s Nut Butters for a while but never wanted to buy an entire box of single serving packets. I’m more of a jar kind of girl, ya know? Besides, I’m not a fan of the Barney Butter single serving packets, and I figured Justin’s would taste similar.  Love crunchy Barney Butter, but the smooth?  Not so much.  The  packet contained 2 TBSP of almond butter, and I used it to top my bowl of purple oat bran:

Almond Butter Swirlie Oats

Almond Butter Swirlie Oats

When we’re almost out of toothpaste, l will roll and squeeze the tube again and again until every last drop is gone.  If I’m that way with toothpaste, then you can only imagine the mutilation this squeeze packet of almond butter endured.  Trust me, in the end, it was empty. :)

The verdict?  Justin’s Almond Butter wins a big thumbs up from me.  It was a bit grainy which I really like and not too sweet.  If it came in a jar, I’d buy it, but that little packet was too much work.  However, I wouldn’t mind keeping a stash around to take on trips. In the past, I’ve had 2 jars of unopened almond butter confiscated by airport security.  That was not a good day.  I’ll have to remember to pick up some Justin’s before our next vacation. Thanks again Sarah!

Yesterday, I mentioned a 3rd mystery package that arrived while we were still in Arizona.  As soon as I saw the return address, I could not open the box fast enough!

It's Alive

It's Alive

I actually heard about Living Tree Community Food’s Almond Butter on Twitter. (BTW, are you following me yet?  Um, why not?).  After reading over the company’s website, I knew I had to try this stuff, and they graciously agreed to send me a jar. I have yet to find an all raw almond butter that I liked as much as the roasted variety, but I thought this company’s product might be different.  According to the website, they make each batch slowly, over several days without the use of a nut grinder. Machines slice the almonds over and over, and the almond butter is produced frequently, in small batches so it’s fresh and alive.  I tried 2 heaping spoonfuls with some carrots:

Raw snack - gotta remember to eat this again on Wednesday. :)

All raw snack - gotta remember to eat this again on Wednesday. :)

Oh my gosh, I LOVED the texture of this raw almond butter. It’s like no other I’ve tried.  It was creamy, with the smallest bits of almonds still present.  The taste was sweet, but the nut butter contains no added sweeteners.  In fact, the ingredients list nothing but organic raw almonds.  I don’t know if it’s the California almonds they use, or the slicing process or what, but this was good stuff!  If I could afford the $20 price tag, this would be my almond butter of choice, but I simply won’t pay that much for nut butter.  Sorry Living Tree, but thanks so much for allowing me to review your product as it was truly amazing! I encourage all of you to check out the Living Tree Community Foods Website as they make and sell a lot of other really cool raw products.  I’m dying to try the Organic Coconut, Carob, Cacao, Goji Butter. Sounds divine, no?

Yesterday, I received something really special in my mailbox that I wanted to share with all of you:

Definitely Jay Robb magnet worthy!

Definitely Jay Robb magnet worthy!

Sarah, please tell Gracie that CD and I are completely honored to have one of her watercolors hanging in our kitchen. It’s beautiful…however, I noticed there was no brown used, and I thought that was her favorite color these days. :)

I leave you with…

CD’s Random Comment of the Day:

Heather: I don’t like keeping my almond butter in the fridge. It gets so…(pauses & cringes as she realizes what’s coming next)

CD: That’s what she said.

Heather: hard.

Yasmin May 12, 2009 at 8:48 am

LOL! Oh Michael Scott…

Run Sarah May 12, 2009 at 8:53 am

Your new nut butters look awesome. Love your random comment, made me smile this AM!

Megan May 12, 2009 at 8:54 am

hahahaah you and CD are just the cutest couple, i love it.

i love love love the beautiful blendy things you eat, i can not get over it! so pretty and purple and smoooooth. mmm.

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) May 12, 2009 at 9:00 am

Oooh love the abundance of nut butters =)

I like those little packs for traveling too! Yummy!

What a sweet piece of artwork from Grace. They are just too darn cute =)

coco May 12, 2009 at 9:03 am

almond butter, my favorite!!! I am in love with your purple oatbran… because I can’t have it! :D

Alisa - Frugal Foodie May 12, 2009 at 9:03 am

Yum, nut butter madness! The Justin’s maple version sounds so tasty!

Erica May 12, 2009 at 9:06 am

Ow! Thanks for all the fun reviews! I love grainy nut butters and def prefer they be less sweet. Oh the office- how you’ve changed our lives forever ever. Hope you have a good day Heather!

Nick May 12, 2009 at 9:11 am

$20 a jar? Maybe for special occasions instead of a good wine but yikes, that’s not everyday stuff! Those packets never much appealed to me – I haven’t tried them but I think I would be annoyed because there’s no way to tell if the oil had separated and it might be difficult to mix it together prior to squeezing.

jacobc May 12, 2009 at 9:14 am

lol… short for thats damn funny! ;-)

That living tree looks good, but i’m with you on the price tag thing.. Even the $10 for barney is a occasional treat!

We need some cheaper product reviews ;-p But i guess economical and raw are rarely used in the same sentence…

eatlivelovedream May 12, 2009 at 9:14 am

Heather, who better to trust with an almond butter review then you!!! I have to agree with you on the whole jar VS packet situation. I need a jar to make sure I get every last morsel! Have a wonderful day:)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 12, 2009 at 9:16 am

Totally just snorted at CDs comment :)
There’s an almond butter I’m going to send you… its local… i think you’ll LOVE it!

brandi May 12, 2009 at 9:39 am

love the comment :)

I like those Justin’s butters, too, but hate those packets! I just can’t get everything out of there and I don’t want to miss any :)

polly May 12, 2009 at 9:41 am

hehehe CD ;)

I gotta admit, this girl likes her almond butter… COLD AND HARD. oh my. That is not what she said!!!!!!! ;)

Love all the nut butter lovin, my friend!

I have a little poem for you, my sweet H. Here goes. This is why we are truly blog sisters and friends forever and ever amen.

Yes, sometimes we get into ruts
but we love what goes into our guts
no need to go to a bar, just give us a jar
and soon we’ll be drunk on smooshed nuts. :)

hehehe ;) Hope this day brings you LOTS of smooshed nuts.

CD…. no comment!!!!!!!!!!!

Pearl May 12, 2009 at 9:44 am

hahahaha i like the “that’s what she said” jokes.

gracie’s watercolor is so adorable!

and WOW – i had no clue that the raw almond butter was sliced repeatedly.. that sounds so cool.

Sarah May 12, 2009 at 9:47 am

You are probably thinking you are going to be getting something in the mail from me every day of the week…it just worked out that way, I guess!

I had the same reaction to Justin’s. Definitely above Barney Butter in my book, but below MaraNatha.

CD’s comment made my day ;) Hope you have a good one!

Kiersten May 12, 2009 at 9:56 am

I’ve seen Justin’s almond butter sample packs in stores here too, but no jars :( I may suck it up and give them a try anyway because maple almond butter sure sounds good. I am not a fan of the squeeze packs either, there’s not enough in them!

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) May 12, 2009 at 10:00 am

Have yet to see the ‘flavoured’ almond butters up here in Canada but have been making my own- adding maple syrup, vanilla extract, a little cocoa now and then. They are great!

Tyler May 12, 2009 at 10:00 am

I recently tried Justin’s almond butter for the first time, too…delicious!! You can buy just one packet at a time at Earthfare in Athens, which is nice b/c I’m terrified of commitment…. but now that I’ve tasted it, I want a whole jar! It’s much more efficient :)

elise May 12, 2009 at 10:03 am

hahahah TWSS!!!!

thats way tooo $$ for one jar. especially with my lack of self control, it would be gone way too fast. i know what you mean about the packets. i just had my first (gasp) almond butter last week thanks to the barney butter samples and i was squeezing like each drop was liquid gold

fitforfree May 12, 2009 at 10:20 am

I love the swirly purple breakfast! So photogenic!

ksgoodeats May 12, 2009 at 10:34 am

Fun new nut butters! I’m the same way with toothpaste – just keep on squeezing! $20 for a jar?! Yikes!

HAHA at the TWSS comment! You and CD are hilarious!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) May 12, 2009 at 10:40 am

HEAB you are testing my strength here – you have no idea how hard it is not to laugh out loud at a TWSS joke when you sit in the middle of your VERY small office. Gracious.

You are so rich in nut butter these days! How do you decide which to have on any given day? You’d be ashamed of me – I bought 2 new jars (one of which is my fave raw crunchy TJ’s AB) this weekend and promptly forgot about them. (!) I have so many new groceries that I forget what-all’s in the kitchen!

Kori (All Things B.) May 12, 2009 at 10:48 am

Random comment of the day= Laugh out loud in an inappropriate way while reading in Starbucks! Too funny!

Shelby May 12, 2009 at 11:37 am

Love all the nut butter action going on in this post! That raw AB sounds divine! I haven’t tried the Justin’s AB but I’ve seen it. Didn’t really grab me I guess.

Oh my! How could airport security just take UNOPENED AB like that?! I would die. When I went to AZ I snuck them in my suitcase ;)

CD’s random comment totally made my day!

the dainty pig May 12, 2009 at 12:31 pm

hehehe, i don’t know what is more enjoyable, your blog, or all the comments on your blog!! what a delight!
Your purple oatbran bowl looks AMAZING today, and I can’t wait to try it out :)

Barb May 12, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Hi! I’ve been following your blog for a while now, although I don’t have one of my own!

You are truly an inspiration! I love how colorful and creative your blog is.

You’ve fostered my love for almond butter! I tried Justin’s Maple Almond Butter a few weeks ago and fell in love with it. It’s my favorite of the other brands I’ve tried so far. I picked up a 16oz jar at my local Whole Foods… so jars of this stuff DO exist! Single serving packets don’t cut it for me. :)

Melissa S. May 12, 2009 at 1:32 pm

i totaly just bought some of those justin pbs to take out in the field. can’t wait to try them, since i got them in all the varieties!

Samantha May 12, 2009 at 2:46 pm

Ahahaha…men!

I love the Justin’s butter. The maple is a staple in my pantry. With 2 kids I’m never home so I keep them in my purse and we always have them for crackers or veggies or whatnot. Getting it out is a pain though, sometimes I have to rip it completely open and scrape out. My fave nut butters are Artisana. The amazon bliss is another must have for me!

The watercolor is beautiful!

Emily May 12, 2009 at 3:11 pm

i’ve been wanting to try the living tree products too, but can’t really justify the price. thanks for the review!

that purple oat bran reminds me of when i was a kid and my mom would sometimes let me put food coloring in my cream of wheat! fun memories :)

Hannah May 12, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Hey Heather-I love your creative twists on oatmeal/oat bran-they are so clever! But what is purple oats? It looks so yummy!

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) May 12, 2009 at 4:03 pm

The almond butter sounds great! Thanks for the review!

Anna May 12, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Nice reviews! I’ve seen those Justin’s packets at WF, but I will admit the price usually scares me away. That $20 almond butter looks INTENSE! After several months of mostly AB, I’ve actually swung back to the PB side of things, just to mix it up. I have a feeling I’ll be back in the AB jar soon though!

Chocolate-Covered Katie May 12, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Sarah is sooo so sweet to send you Maple-Heaven-in-a-Packet!! And um, your quote? Rolling on the floor laughing… you’re too funny, Heather. Never change, okay? :)

Jill May 12, 2009 at 5:18 pm

CD…!! You may soon have to put a rating on your site if he keeps adding his random comments. Funny!

I meant to tell you – don’t bring single peanut butter packets in carry on luggage. Those FAA folks will confiscate them too! No kidding. The only thing under 3 oz allowed is medicines and health and beauty products or baby food/formula. You can check the website but some airports are bad about that…and will dump your stuff. I’ve had to throw peanut butter single packets and yogurt out before. Blah…and (no offense) but the Canadian air officials are the worst about “going by the rules.”

runeatrepeat May 12, 2009 at 5:28 pm

I need to get some of those squeeze packs for my upcoming va-cay!

homegirlcaneat May 12, 2009 at 5:38 pm

I gotta get me some of those packets! I just tried Barney Butter for the first time the other day and the crunchy is good..but kind of too sweet..so I am likin’ yo review on this badboy!

And I am in love with the painting by Gracie. And laughed out loud at the brown comment ahahah Sarah’s blog rules all.

Ashley May 12, 2009 at 6:32 pm

Very pretty purple oats – and a lovely swirly PB design on top! You are an artist with food, Heather.

Also, I’m in enormous agreement about jars being better than packets – for the simple fact that you serve your oats in the jar when you’re on your last serving. I followed your example from yesterday’s post and tried this this morning. It was quite possibly the most amazing breakfast ever. Who would have thought that nut butter UNDER your oats can be so much more exciting than on top!

The raw nut butter sounds delicious – but with a price tag like that, I’m surprised they are still in business. That is so so expensive!

lilveggiepatch May 12, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Haha I do the “toothpaste” thing with my Justin’s packets, too! Sadly there’s only so much that can come out.

Love your new artwork :-)

Alison May 12, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Cool nut butters. I really need to try more almond butter. I do think it’s tasty. But so expensive. I’m curious about pecan butter and cashew butter too.

Hangry Pants May 12, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Very good to know about the Justin’s AB – I think they have it at Statbucks, right?

Mark feels the same (perverted) way about nut butters!

ttfn300 May 12, 2009 at 7:53 pm

LOL i love your random comments :) i can’t believe that raw butter costs $20. i’d be broke in a month!

Emily May 12, 2009 at 8:21 pm

I wasn’t a huge smooth BB fan, either, but maybe I’d like Justin’s? Sure makes your purple oat bran look puuurdy. :-)

Man, why does good almond butter have to cost $20? It sounds amazing. But, I’m definitely with you on not wanting to pay that much.

Oh, CD. You two are so cute and funny!

Adi (oatonomy.com) May 12, 2009 at 8:24 pm

I don’t think I’ve seen raw almond butter in the store before. I’ll have to keep an eye out!
And purple swirlie oats look aweeesome. Yum!

luckytastebuds May 12, 2009 at 9:23 pm

I love that the comment is free for interpretation…muhahaha i bet 10 out of 10 people think dirty. :P

Thank you for both those awesome reviews on almond butter!! I’ve had one pack of justin’s almond butter and 120% agree with your review!!! Smooth BB is good, but it settles SO easily the oil on top never ceases to gross me out. heheheh

Dang, 2 jars of AB confiscated at the airport?!?!? I would have been ONE angry camper. grrr. Oh! And i absolutely adore the color of your oat bran. LOVEEEE!! It was my school color in college!!! :)

broccolihut May 12, 2009 at 11:03 pm

Love Justin’s–I like the honey flavor too.

Elizabeth May 12, 2009 at 11:48 pm

That Living Tree AB LOOKS so yummy! I dont blame you about not being willing to spend $20 on it though.. I wouldnt either!

That’s a fabulous piece of art on your fridge!

Jodye May 13, 2009 at 12:22 am

I was looking at that raw almond butter just the other day, but whew, the price tag got me, too! How lucky that you got a free sample! I do have a bag of raw almonds sitting my in cupboard, maybe I’ll have to experiment!

Cecilia May 13, 2009 at 4:47 am

GOOD NEWS, you can buy the Justin’s almond butter IN JARS on their website!!!! YAY for you :D

lissa10279 May 13, 2009 at 7:18 am

I get these at Whole Foods and love them for trips. The honey PB is good and so is the maple almond butter you tried. Love CD’s comment … something my husband would say, too — and I’d cringe, as well LOL :)

Kori (All Things B.) May 13, 2009 at 5:18 pm

I love the Justin’s Cinnamon PB and they do make it in a jarred variety, I bought mine on the link from their website since my local places only carry the packets. Check it out http://www.naturalgrocers.com/justinsnutbutters.php. It’s pretty comparable in price to other nut butters at $9 for AB and about $6 for PB. Enjoy!

Michelle Hisae May 13, 2009 at 6:14 pm

HAHAHA that’s b=the best CD quote to date. You guys are so totally in sync.

Katrina (gluten free gidget) May 17, 2009 at 3:23 pm

The Justin’s cinnamon peanut butter is A-MAZING! Seriously, it will change your life!

Lamb May 17, 2009 at 10:14 pm

I just found your site a few days ago (love it, by the way) and then suddenly I was at the local grocery store to grab something quickly and saw some Justin’s Almond Butter! In jars! For about $8 a pop.

I grabbed one of the squeeze packets to test the stuff out, but couldn’t help but laugh at how bizarre that I’d see the stuff for the first time right after reading your entry.

{ 1 trackback }