Orange Ya Glad It's Friday

by HEAB on May 15, 2009

Many of you requested orange oats today, and I listened.  However, I did not go the conventional carrot route.  Come on, you guys should know me by now. That would be way too normal for my taste. :)

I present to you my breakfast:

Savory Orange Oats

Sun Dried Tomato Oats

I went with a savory bowl this morning and blended 6 sun dried tomatoes and some salt into 1 cup cooked oat bran.  I also added some chia seeds for a little more protein, fiber, and fat.  My toppings were scrambled eggs, hummus, and lots of ground black pepper.  This was a nice change, but I missed my almond butter.  It will definitely be back tomorrow!

So, as of today, May is half over, and I figured I give you a quick update on some of my May challenges.

1. Wean myself off caffeine.  This is going okay.  I’ve been off the Juice, AKA sugar-free vanilla Coffee-Mate for 2 weeks now, and I don’t even want my morning mug of coffee without it.  However, I don’t want the full-blown caffeine headache either.  So, I’ve been doing half coffee/half herbal coffee with almond milk and stevia.  Nieves, who is also giving up caffeine, sent me the sweetest package filled with all kinds of different herbal coffee samples and some tea:

Dandy Blend, Inka, and Original Zen Herbal Coffees...No caffeine included. :)

Dandy Blend, Inka, and Original Zen Herbal Coffees...No caffeine included. :)

Thank you so much Nieves!  These samples along with the Teeccino I’ve been using have helped me decrease my coffee consumption to almost zero.  Today, I haven’t had any coffee at all.  I simply brewed a cup of the Inka grain coffee, and stirred in 1 heaping tsp of dark cocoa powder with some almond milk and stevia.  This was actually really delicious, and I’m hoping the small amount of caffeine in the cocoa powder will keep any headaches at bay.

2. The New Foods Challenge.  Katie’s challenge has been a lot of fun.  So far, I’ve tried purple cauliflower and two new nut butters.  I already have 2 foods in mind I want to try, and I look forward to sharing them with you soon.

3. The Raw Wednesday Challenge. My first Wednesday didn’t go so hot, but I did much better this past week.  Thanks goodness for Gena’s raw Italian pizza cheese.  Love that stuff!

4. Last, but not least, I signed up for Bobbi’s Simple Life Challenge.  Just trying to cut back on spending.  Doing a lot of eating in which Chris and I usually do anyway. Trying to walk instead of drive when possible.  I tend to spend a lot of money on gifts for others, and so I’ve been doing homemade birthday gifts, etc.  For example, instead of all of us going out for a big expensive dinner, I’ve invited the family over for a homemade meal in honor of my brother’s birthday tonight.  Not quite sure what’s on the menu, but someone has already put in a request for a certain dessert. :)

CD, what kind of birthday cake should I make for tonight?

CD’s Random Comment of the Day:

VeggieGirl’s Blondies…what else?

peanutbutterandjenny May 15, 2009 at 8:46 am

you are so creative heather!! that bowl looks amazing. Congrats on doing so well with all of your challenges!

coco May 15, 2009 at 8:46 am

You keep coming with new ideas for oats!!! I need to speed up to catch you! :D
Great challenges! I need to do some too, it keeps everything more exciting! Oh….. I do have one: use pantry!!!

Melanie May 15, 2009 at 8:48 am

I like the TSL challenge…homemade gifts rock. One of my New Year’s Resolutions was to do exclusively homemade gifts this year (I have had to buy two, unfortunately). I picked up knitting last May…if you haven’t tried it, it’s a lot of fun and you can make the coolest stuff (yoga socks….!!)

Coconutgal May 15, 2009 at 8:51 am

Woo hoo Friday! Those oats sound fantastic! I bet carrots would’ve done the same thing the beets did… they are kind of similar tasting.
Congrats on getting off of coffee! That one is hard… I worked as a barista for 2 years and was sooo addicted and when my gastro said that it would help my tummy to get off it I was like “nooo!” It took a long time for me so don’t beat yourself up about it and take it slow. Those headaches can be killer.

Yay for family dinners! and Yay for new desserts! Promise you’ll like it :-D

Rose May 15, 2009 at 8:57 am

Well that is certainly different – and I love it! I think we should collaborate on an oatmeal dish. You do the coloring/cooking, and I’ll try and paint a beautiful scene with toppings. Then we could jointly tell a funtastic story.

brandi May 15, 2009 at 9:06 am

love the sundried tomato oats :) so creative! i’m glad the coffee challenge is going well.

Danielle May 15, 2009 at 9:08 am

Your breakfast bowls are always so innovative!

Looks like you’re having a super productive month so far, I admire the changes you’ve been making :)

Mara @ What's For Dinner? May 15, 2009 at 9:08 am

I love the oats :)
So I checked, and the nut butter I’m sending you is from Missouri, not Wisconsin… but still GREAT!

Pearl May 15, 2009 at 9:09 am

sundried tomato oats? oh WOW!

jacobc May 15, 2009 at 9:10 am

hmmm, i bet sweet potatoes would make good orange oats!

Keep us updated on the caffeine weaning.. Around the first of this year was the first time i have EVER been addicted to anything.. and now i know what it is like.. I am seriously addicted to hot chocolate, 5 cups yesterday..ehhhh.. this is not good, i thought i wouldn’t want any when it turned warm outside, wrong!
We grew up on a farm – poor and never got coke, and i never liked coffee, and of course never smoked or anything else..
I had no idea that hotchocolate had caffeine, apparently not to much, but enough to get me hooked..
And i’m really not that keen on quiting, if a hot chocolate addiction is a vice, then so be it ;-p Hey good carbs for running!

I think CD should take the pups to the park tommorrow morning and skip the race.. My 6 first place overall wins in a row will be coming to an end tommorrow! ;-p

Have a good weekend!

Run Sarah May 15, 2009 at 9:11 am

Your oat bran looks fantastic! I always want to buy sundried tomatoes, but they are so expensive here. Glad to hear an update on your coffee challenge, I have been trying to cut down my consumption by making weaker coffees and drinking more green tea. It’s been going okay, still need to check out the Teccino!

justine May 15, 2009 at 9:13 am

My Black Bean Turkey Burgers would be great for tonight!! They were yummy! Have fun today and tonight. I am going to hit up Cool Springs and maybe Whole Foods with mi madre. I’ll be thikin about you!!!

~Justine

Anne K. May 15, 2009 at 9:17 am

Wow, those oats sound so delicious! I cannot get over how creative you are–it’s so awesome. Glad to hear the challenges are going well!

Gina May 15, 2009 at 9:30 am

When I heard orange oats, I was hoping for orange and chocolate for some reason. It’s been a flavor combo that’s been on my mind lately, hehe.

I’m glad your May challenges are going well! I have a hard time doing a raw day every week.

Nicole May 15, 2009 at 9:39 am

Those are some interesting oats!!

jenngirl May 15, 2009 at 9:51 am

I’m lovin’ your creative oats!! And eggs sound really good right now for some reason.

Ooo bday dinner!? For me, cake is a tie between red velvet with creammmmy icing or devil’s food chocolate with white icing…both delish combos!

janetha May 15, 2009 at 9:55 am

ohhhh carrots were too easy huh! love the creativity here, and they seem like they probably would taste really good!

nice job on all your challenges :D

Anna May 15, 2009 at 9:58 am

Mmmmmm, savory oats. What a great idea for having them later in the day as well.

Sarah May 15, 2009 at 10:21 am

Oh my, I’m not sure I can do the savory oats. I have a feeling that will be “dinner” for me in the year 2073, so I’ll wait until then.

Tell that hottie brother of yours, “Happy Birthday!”

I think a batch of maple nut oaties are called for, don’t you?

Happy Friday, HEABs!

ksgoodeats May 15, 2009 at 10:23 am

Nice oat rendition!! Although I was expecting to see sweet potato oats :) Those would bring the yums!

Can’t wait to see what you end up making for your brother’s birthday menu! I’m sure it will be fantastic!!

homegirlcaneat May 15, 2009 at 10:24 am

You are so creative with your oats, it’s killin’ me smalls! I feel like you should open a breakfast cafe simply dedicated to oat bran. You could take the world by storm will all your recipes!

Happy birthday to yo brotha!

Erin May 15, 2009 at 10:28 am

Those are the most unusual oats I have ever heard of! I love you and your adventurous blending.

FoodsThatFit May 15, 2009 at 11:01 am

I am cracking up at Sarah’s comment about the savory oats. Oh, that made me laugh…

I actually do think the savory oats look pretty good though, especially with the addition of sun-dried tomatoes.

So, I’ve been thinking about what kind of cake you should make for tonight…there has got to be a way to incorporate oat bran into one for sure. How about this: Oat Bran cake with layers of almond butter and berries in the middle. It would be like a PB and J cake, but healthier.

Have a good weekend Heather!!

polly May 15, 2009 at 11:13 am

H,
hi love! Oh my goodness, such a cute title! ;) Orange ya glad for almond butter? I SURE AM!

Girl, I just had my donut sized glob with my per usual pile of organic raspberries. I am not hooked. I LOVE crunchy. Trader Joe… please move to northern indiana! Pleazzzzzze. Better yet, H and CD move up here! :)

Happy birthday to bro and hug him lots. He will love whatever you make. Enjoy that coconut ice cream… better wash off the ice cream scoop from the almond butter jar first. ;)

I agree… Sarah’s comment was so funny!!

I also love Abbie’s idea of making an oat cake! I actually tried to make strawberry “oatcake” last night for D and A… well, they were not overly excited. It looked like a giant oatmeal cookie that wasn’t that good. Good thing for redi-whip, Abbers is all about her redi-whip!

Love to you and thank you again for our DELICIOUS yummies! XOXO

polly May 15, 2009 at 11:14 am

I meant I am NOW hooked on crunchy almond butter! ;)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) May 15, 2009 at 11:16 am

OOH your savory oats sound really good to me right now – wish I had that for lunch instead of the salad I packed because the A/C keeps it FREEZING in my office. I must look really weird in the summers because I still wear sweaters! Oh well, this reminded me to take the salad out of the fridge a little early so maybe at least I can get it to room temp. :)

Rock the blondies, HEAB! And a happy birthday to your broseph.

Mandy A May 15, 2009 at 11:34 am

LOVE the breakfast, girl!!! Yummyyy!!!

I have NOT had a Veggiegirl Blondie yet!!!! can you believe that?? there has to be some kind of law against that. I need to get it together!

I say that sounds like an awesome dessert tonight, btw!!!

I am making the hubby’s birthday cake tonight for his party this weekend… not healthy at ALL… but will be oh-so-yummy :) Cookies and cream cake… heaven! :)

have fun tonight with your family!

Shelby May 15, 2009 at 12:21 pm

I’m planning on savory oats tomorrow!!! What a coincidence =)

You are doing so great with your challenges. I can’t wait to see the new foods.

Happy Birthday to your brother! VeggieGirl blondies sound perfect haha

Missy Maintains May 15, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Love the oats today! I can’t even imagine that they must taste like! Great job on all of your challenges! As for cake, chocolate chip almond butter cake with strawberries on top! Yum!!

Holly May 15, 2009 at 12:42 pm

That is impressive with the caffeine, and with everything! Do you find that you have more energy without it? I only have caffeine 2 or 3 days a week now, and I actually have found I sleep better and my energy level is a little higher (could be in that crazy head of mine, too).

I cannot WAIT to see what cake you come up with. I love seeing pictures of (other people’s) cakes…I’m just too indimidated to attempt them myself. :-)

Emily May 15, 2009 at 1:24 pm

i wonder how many other people have combined sun-dried tomatoes and oat bran? :) so creative

gina (fitnessista) May 15, 2009 at 1:36 pm

those oats are amazing! i love anything sundried tomato :D
so cool you’re making some veggiegirl blondies… i can’t get enough of those things. that will probably be my birthday cake request, too but i’m not trusting the pilot to make them ;)
hope you have a wonderful weekend!!!

Melissa S. May 15, 2009 at 2:41 pm

i think you’re doing great w/ the simple life challenge! everything sounds wonderful!

and i bet you could have totally put almond butter in w/ that breakfast…would have been a savory way to have the ab!

bobbi May 15, 2009 at 2:44 pm

I always adore your oats!!! I love how the TSL challenge is inspiring so many people:)

have a beautiful weekend!

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) May 15, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Cool breakfast!

Samantha May 15, 2009 at 3:41 pm

That bowl looks mouthwatering. I love your creativity! I keep hoping to find oat groats too. (Same ‘ol song and dance, there’s nothing here! ha ha!)

I have the Teccino mint chocolate coffee, bought it without realizing it is decaf. The first taste was less than stellar but it’s growing on me and I like not having to get juiced up in the AM.

The “simpler” challenge is awesome! We try to walk or use the bike trailer as much as possible here which is easy if we’re staying on base. Its nice to not be in the car all the time.

Heather's Brother May 15, 2009 at 3:50 pm

I can’t wait for my birthday dinner tonight! Just got back from the gym and took down a Vita-mix blended spinach/almond/vanilla protein shake….but that’s it! I’m showing up hungry to devour whatever interesting dish Heather has created :)

@jenngirl – those are my two favorites as well with red velvet w/cream cheese icing being top of the list!

chocolate covered katie May 15, 2009 at 5:46 pm

LOL I am LOVING your rainbow oats! I think purple is my fave though.

Elizabeth May 15, 2009 at 10:30 pm

Heather your creativity with food is so amazing! i would never think to mix tomatoes and oats. I know I always say things like that but you never fail to surprise me! :)

You’re doing some great things for yourself with your challenges! I am so with you on the cutting back on spending.. I’m hoping I can continue that even after my birthday challenge is over!

Have a great weekend!

glidingcalm May 16, 2009 at 4:01 am

Sun dried tomatoes!? Wow lady wow! Orange oats would ALWAYS = carrot or pumpkin for me!!! I can’t live without having some nut butter in the AM!!!

Happy weekend Heather!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ttfn300 May 16, 2009 at 6:57 am

wow, sun-dried tomato oats?? you are awesome heather :)