A Day In The Life Of HEAB

by HEAB on May 22, 2009

People always ask me about my lunches and dinners since I often just post my breakfast. Well, this post is for all the curious people out there. I would warn you, but y’all already know I eat weird things. So, here goes…

I skipped my usual Thursday early morning Power Yoga class and slept in until about 6:30.  I rolled out of bed, and made myself this:

A cup of miso broth

A cup of miso broth.

Who doesn’t love a warm mug of coffee fermented soup in the morning? Mmm, it was good.  Next it was off to the dog park for 45 minutes to play with the pooches. When I got home, I was ready for some breakfast:

Spinach oat bran with almond butter.

Spinach oat bran with almond butter.

This bowl was so filling.  I made my chia protein oats and blended them in the Vita-Mix with some steamed cauliflower and a huge handful of spinach.  I think it was the big blob of almond butter that put me over the edge, but that didn’t stop me from going back for more later in the day. :)

Then it was off to work to see 1 client at 11 AM.  I got home for lunch around 1 PM, and still wasn’t too hungry.  So, I kept things simple with some roasted kale and leftover steamed veggies:

There was ketchup involved...post picture of course.

There was ketchup involved...post picture of course.

After lunch, I grabbed a piece of chocolate:

Extra bitter chocolate makes me smile.

Dark chocolate makes me smile.

That my friends is 100% chocolate.  One day, I NEEDED chocolate, but all we had in the house were Baker’s Unsweetened Chocolate Baking Squares, and so I ate one dipped in almond butter.  Now, I just love them plain.  It’s weird because I don’t like raw cacao nibs by themselves, but I love eating this unsweetened chocolate.  I dare you to try it.

Look for me in the baking aisle.  I'm super cheap. :)

Look for me in the baking aisle. I'm super cheap. :)

Then before heading back into work, my hunger started to kick in, and I made a smoothie in a bowl:

Coconut smoothie goodness.

Coconut smoothie goodness.

I blended 1 cup coconut water, 1/4 cup light coconut milk, 1 frozen banana, 1 scoop Jay Robb vanilla rice protein powder, and 5 ice-cubes in my Vita-Mix.  Very good, but almost too sweet.  Next time, I’d use frozen berries instead of the naner.

Then I went back to work for my afternoon clients, and made it just in time to the studio for a 5:30 PM Anusara Yoga class. There was only one other student in the class, and so I received a lot of individual attention.  We only did a few poses but really focused on proper alignment for each one. The teacher was quirky, and I totally loved her.  She helped me go deeper in Forward Fold than I ever thought possible, and we even worked on handstand twice.  Great class – I will go back!

I really like to eat dinner with CD, but if I get home late from work, or in this case a yoga class, he’s usually already eaten.  Well, last night, I arrived home hungry with no desire to cook anything.  Chris hadn’t eaten yet, and so we each just did our own thing. I would like to say that this was my dinner…

See Alice, your son really can cook. :)

See Alice, your son really can cook. :)

…but, it wasn’t.  Chris sauteed himself some onions, mushrooms, and kale, topping his plate with Marinutta Sauce and Parm, and I had exactly what I wanted.  I’ll let the pictures speak for themselves:

IMG_2299IMG_2300

Radley helped me out with the last of the Rice Dream:

She was a bit upset that I didn't leave her very much. :)

She was a bit upset that I didn't leave her much. Sorry Radley.

That’s it folks.  Kind of a weird & boring day, but I’m kind of a weird and boring gal.  I do eat meat but didn’t happen to eat any yesterday. My eating rules used to be very strict…carbs only at breakfast. protein and veggies at lunch and dinner, blah blah blah.  Now, I just try to eat what I want when I want, even if that means oat bran for breakfast and dinner.  :)

CD’s Random Comment Of The Day:

My dinner was prettier than your’s…I’d have to agree with him on this one.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) May 22, 2009 at 2:31 pm

I love how you eat what you want! I am trying to do that more myself. Like for some reason at dinner I think I always have to have a meat just because but honestly after I ate chicken last night I thought to myself “I didn’t even want that” so hopefully I’ll get the hang of it here soon ;-) I love the green oat bran but I have yet to try it…dark chocolate rules!

jenngirl May 22, 2009 at 2:33 pm

I’m glad that you can eat what you want when you want it! That’s something that I think will take me years to truly master. But it’s a goal worth achieving!

Andrea May 22, 2009 at 2:34 pm

LOVE dark chocolate, but haven’t had the balls to go 100%. I just might see you in the baking aisle!

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) May 22, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Mmmm…you can never have too much hot oat bran goodness!! I love your simple eats. We would get along wonderfully =)

Oh, and what a sweet helper you have. What a good dog to finish that for you!!!

Chocolate-Covered Katie May 22, 2009 at 2:45 pm

You KNOW I’m going to have to try unsweetened chocolate now!

polly May 22, 2009 at 2:45 pm

Heabs, I love you!

I am happy to say my breakfast was oatmeal and berries… and my supper was otbran and spinach and berries. :P

The 2 meals in between were oatless… but not nearly as yummy. :)

Love you for eating what YOU want. I think you are the peaches.

Happy weekend, beautiful friend! XOXO

Erica May 22, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Love the pic of Radley eating the rice cream- too cute! What are you guys up to this long weekend?

Maggie May 22, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Radley is adorable.

I tend to eat something like what CD eats for dinner. Parm is a necessity! It’s almost the only dairy thing I eat nowadays.

And I eat dark dark chocolate too. I have a block of 85% that I’m trying to eat up, but it’s just not as good as 99% or 100%.

Shelby May 22, 2009 at 3:17 pm

I’ve always been curious about that chocolate but I’m not too big on the bitterness.

I need that dinner! And psssh, CD…Heab’s dinner is so much prettier! I mean ice cream AND oats AND almond butter?! I would go into a coma from all that deliciousness =)

Emily May 22, 2009 at 3:28 pm

Oooh, I haven’t tried that kind of chocolate since I was a little kid – I think I’ll be more impressed as a grownup!

Emily May 22, 2009 at 3:33 pm

cool post! i’ve definitely been known to eat oatmeal for dinner (i did last night, in fact!). i actually love miso for breakfast too :)

Samantha May 22, 2009 at 3:36 pm

I think eating what you want is wonderful. You obviously know my issues of late…I used to be the restrictive eater and it gained me 15 lbs. Now that I’m listening to my body, eating when I’m HUNGRY, not “THINK” I’m hungry, and try to be whole and somewhat smart about it, things are getting better.

And I’m trying green oats for the first time today in a bit for breakfast! I’m sure I’ll love them, since I love green monsters and anything else spinach.

CD’s supper looks pretty tasty too. Thanks for more insight on how your days are!

Meredith May 22, 2009 at 3:41 pm

Mmmm coconut smoothie!!!

elise May 22, 2009 at 3:46 pm

do yo thang heather. love it. sometimes kyles dinners look prettier than mine and he lets me know it, and suggests i take pics of his food instead, haha!

Vani May 22, 2009 at 4:41 pm

I love seeing your daily eats! Post em again sometime!

and oat bran for dinner = absolutely normal, in my world.

Hangry Pants May 22, 2009 at 4:41 pm

My dad will eat that chocolate when there is no other chocolate in the house! Maybe I should give it a try. I appreciate you eating exactly what you want without caring about convention. It’s something I’ve been thinking about a lot lately.

Emma May 22, 2009 at 5:07 pm

I’m jealous of the Vita-mix – all of your oats/oat-bran look amazing.

I’m a little jealous of the steamed vegetables. They look amazing.

Have a lovely evening!

Emma

Sweetie Pie May 22, 2009 at 5:45 pm

You are awesome, and I think your dinner looked pretty… pretty tasty!!! Yum!!

I think I have some of that chocolate in the pantry. I keep it around for brownies, but maybe I need to give it a little nibble on its own! :-)

Ashley May 22, 2009 at 5:57 pm

Your oats take on such an amazing shade of green – mine never look like that! I guess its the Vita-Mix hey? Which reminds me, I need to get some cauliflower and add that to my breakfasts. How much do you use, roughly?

Silly question – when you enjoy your smoothie in a bowl, do you drink from it or use a spoon?

Your dinner look delish! I sometimes end my day on oat bran too (as my dessert!) so there’s nothing weird about that in my eyes.

Radley looks he’s enjoying dessert too!

Pearl May 22, 2009 at 6:19 pm

when i saw the “Bakers” insignia on the chocolate, i did a double take. baking chocolate? that’s so cool!

Anna May 22, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Intuitive eating at its best! You go girl. Wow I don’t think anyone has said that since 1999, but I feel like the situation necessitated.

And I’m impressed with your ability to eat unsweetened chocolate… I can’t do it! I’m not even much of a dark chocolate fan, I’m more of a milk chocolate girl.

Gina May 22, 2009 at 7:02 pm

You’re so cute, I love it. I like the Baker’s chocolate too, I used to think you weren’t allowed to eat it…like there was something wrong with it, hehe.

brandi May 22, 2009 at 7:23 pm

hmm…i wonder if that’s different chocolate than the one I buy. mine are much bigger squares?

love the full day of crazy eats :) as long as it has almond butter and oatbran, it’s a good day to me!

glidingcalm May 22, 2009 at 7:44 pm

I admire you so much Heather!! I love your love for oat bran, and in fact, I thought your dinner DID look better than CD’s! Though his looked mighty tasty too. Parm on veggies is just SOOO GOOD.

And I used to have miso soup EVERYDAY, so I love that you began your day with a nice mug!

I hope you might be willing to do this every once in a while! It was so fun to learn more about you!

Hurray for a fabulous yoga sesh as well! Semi private sounds awesome!

Happy weekend HD!

Coconutgal May 22, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Fun post Heather!

Way to go on dinner!! That is SO me, in fact I had almost the same thing tonight. We are twinsies ;-)
Ok so I have heard of having miso soup in the AM before– but can’t remember why it’s good. Can you tell me? Isn’t it good for digestion? Do you have this every morning? (I can’t have miso cuz I can’t eat soy but I love it!)

Is your hubbs a health nut? My hubbs would NEVER everrrr voluntarily put kale in his food!!

Erin May 22, 2009 at 8:22 pm

Weird and boring? Are you serious? If any non food blogger saw this post they wouldn’t know what to think of all the healthy ingredients!

strivingforbalance May 22, 2009 at 8:41 pm
Tyler May 22, 2009 at 8:50 pm

I have accidently eaten unsweetened chocolate before, and it was quite an unpleasant surprise! I LOVE really dark chocolate, but completely unsweetened is a little too bitter and kinda has a chalky texture. You are the first person I’ve heard of that likes it!

Miso soup in the morning is actually a really good idea! Miso soup always makes me feel so rejuvenated. It’s also great for hangovers…

Vicki May 22, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Hi Heather—

Can you tell us about your miso soup sometime? Do you make it from scratch???

Also, I tried the chia seeds in my smoothie (I sent you an e-mail inquiring about it) and it is a bit “seedy” for me…but drank it because I know it was good for me! STill haven’t tried your suggestion of letting the seeds sit for 20 minutes first in rice milk…I’ve been too hungry to wait 20 minutes in the morn, if you know what I mean!!! I will though, one of these days! Thanks again for your cool blog! I’m amazed at the effort put into blogging!! Some day I may attempt my own…. :D

Ellen (Peace in Motion) May 22, 2009 at 10:00 pm

looks like a perfect bowl of dinner oats!

justine May 22, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Thats so funny Heather! You know how strict I usually am with the whole macros thing and today I just threw it to the wind completely I think I had 3 bowls of oats and 2 smoothies. haha!! My stomach is really bothering bad today though :( . Maybe its carbs??? IDK? I give up!!!

~Justine

broccolihut May 22, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Just thought I would let you know that I ordered some chia seeds today thanks to you. I am SO pumped.

Lara (Thinspired) May 23, 2009 at 2:11 am

Heather! This was really fun to read :) Really cool little factoid about your and your dark chocolate. I haven’t managed anything higher than 80% yet but I have a feeling I could swing it ;)

Heather (be well & take care) May 23, 2009 at 6:13 am

I love your “weird” eats! I eat miso soup in the morning, too! Not very often, but I have the packets of it that require you add hot water, and it’s so much more refreshing sometimes to have that in the morning instead of hot tea.

I have some of the unsweetened chocolate for baking and I accidentally ate one once and I just could not do it. 70% cocoa is about as dark as I can go with dark chocolate so this was TOUGH to eat. You’re a champ!

Radley is so pretty. Tell her I’m sorry I thought she was a boy last time she appeared on the blog. Ha. My male cat ate some green oats the other day! Animals like weird stuff, just like him.

ksgoodeats May 23, 2009 at 7:43 am

MMMM squash! I love those veggies! I haven’t tried them with ketchup but if HEAB likes the ketchup/squash, it must be good?!

I’m not a bit fan of chocolate so the bittah the bettah! CD’s dinner looks pretty good!! Well done :)

My Boston goes CRAZY when I give her ice cream – eyes bugging out of her head, jumping out of my arms, everything!

PS. You’re not weird and boring!!

Emily May 23, 2009 at 8:22 am

Your green oats are so pretty! Now that I have a better blender, I just might try those.

I’ve never tried baking chocolate plain. I made hot cocoa for my sister once when we were little and accidentally used baking cocoa. It was not a good experience. I might ease myself into it by dipping it in almond butter like you did at first.

I love eating oats for dinner, especially after a long day and when I just want something warm. No shame in it all all! :-)

FoodsThatFit May 23, 2009 at 9:39 am

My first thought when I read this was, “I wish I could get my hubby to cook like CD!”

You are a brave lady eating the 100% chocolate. I tried the 72% one once and it was so bitter. I bet it might be good mixed into your chia oats? Kind of like a chocolate chip chia cookie :)

I am really liking your organized recipe tab. As I was reading this post, I realized I have never written down your recipe for the Chia oats, and was going to search through your posts for it, BUT there it was, linked and in your recipe tab! Awesome, thank you!

Have a great weekend HEAB!!

Melissa S. May 23, 2009 at 12:05 pm

ewww…i totally can’t stand baking chocolate. i had to try it as an initiation at the chocolate store i worked at and i’ve been scared since then. ack!

glad you liked it though!

hemp jogger May 23, 2009 at 3:04 pm

i indulge in that combo ALL the time…soo good! love me some b-nut squash w/ nut butter. or sw. pot w/ nut butter. killa combo.

ttfn300 May 23, 2009 at 7:59 pm

wow, cd can cook ;)

Alison May 24, 2009 at 9:33 am

I couldn’t do plain unsweetened chocolate, but dipping it in almond butter sounds really good.

{ 1 trackback }