Carb On Carb Action

by HEAB on May 23, 2009

My post dinner snack last night:

I'm all out of kabocha. :(

I'm all out of kabocha. :(

Baked butternut squash and crunchy almond butter makes a great dessert.  Perfect for that after dinner sweet tooth.  The other half of my baked squash went in the fridge…which leads me to breakfast this morning…

Soup in a bread bowl?  Scares me to death!  Taco salad in an edible shell?  Couldn’t pay me to eat it.  (Well, you could, but it would cost ya!) Oat bran served in a butternut squash butt?  Yes, please.

Talk about a nice piece of ass.

Talk about a nice piece of ass!

So delicious and a great start to my day.  Next up was a 90 minute Vinyasa yoga class and then a trip to Costco where I bought this:

26 oz. of Maranatha Almond Butter for $6.25

26 oz. of Maranatha Almond Butter for $6.25

I did a little dance when CD pointed out the almond butter display to me during our weekly grocery shopping adventure.  To the fine folks at Costco, have you been reading my blog?!?  Thank you from the bottom of my heart.  One question…do you think you could carry crunchy as well? :)

So, how about your carbs?  Do they ever get busy? ;)

glidingcalm May 23, 2009 at 1:38 pm

oh heather. you make me smile!

Meredith May 23, 2009 at 1:41 pm

Never thought of that combo before — very intriguing!

erinbee May 23, 2009 at 1:43 pm

i love putting grub in the squash holes.

i need to find me a costco so i can get
my hands on this maranatha business!!!

i cannot stop looking at that picture of
breakfast. major puddle of drool over here.

also. i need to stop starting sentences
with ‘i’. or maybe not. its all about me.

Sarah May 23, 2009 at 1:45 pm

seriously, you never cease to amaze me! how is every single breakfast idea you post so incredible. i’m going to have to start eating oat bran at every meal, too, so that I can try everything :-P

Emily May 23, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Love your creative breakfast. I bet it tasted fantastic. I really want to put nut butter on squash now, hehee.

LOVE Maranatha Almond Butter. You can bet I’m going to check out Costco soon to see if ours has any for that fantastic price! Thanks so much for the tip.

Ellen (Peace in Motion) May 23, 2009 at 1:50 pm

what a wonderful costco surprise! I made a HEAB snack for breakfast. A mixture of white and brown rice with some coconut milk and shredded coconut. DELICIOUS. thanks for the wonderful creation!

Run Sarah May 23, 2009 at 1:54 pm

That looks awesome!! We have Maranatha here too at our Costco and I couldn’t believe how cheap it is!

Shelby May 23, 2009 at 2:00 pm

That is like the best oatmeal creation I have ever seen!!! Next time I get a squash, I’ll know what to do with it!

I’ve had some carby action today. Oatmeal, tons of rice, and homemade bread. It’s just one of those days.

Kath May 23, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Holy Costco! Can’t wait to find that at mine!

polly May 23, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Love you, Heabs!

Oh my goodness headstand?? You ROCK. You are sooo ready for the next level class, peachy! I wrote to you on my blog today. :)

Yay for carb + carbs + nut butter lovin. THAT is LOVE. :P XOXO

Erica May 23, 2009 at 2:13 pm

WOW! Totally looking for that AB next time I’m at Costco- great find. Love that you call it a butternut squash BUTT

redheadyellowdog May 23, 2009 at 2:26 pm

once again, you’re a complete genius!! oat bran in a butternut squash butt…I love it!

Holly May 23, 2009 at 2:41 pm

HEATHER!! Thank you SO much for telling us about the AB at Costco…this seriously made my day. Is that sad?

Does Maranatha make crunchy AB? They don’t carry it at my local grocery…but maybe it is better for my wallet. I am too cheap to turn on my A/C yet, but don’t try and stop me from spending $7.50 on a jar of AB. :-)

ksgoodeats May 23, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Back in my athlete days, I easily polished off Panera’s broccoli soup in a bread bowl without a second thought! How times have changed ;)

I love the oat bran bnut bowl! That truly is genius!

ohkansascity May 23, 2009 at 3:11 pm

I love that almond butter from Costco. It makes my day when I can pick it up. So, so yummy.

Kiersten May 23, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Oatbran in a butternut squash bowl is genious!

Maggie May 23, 2009 at 3:31 pm

Costco is where I bought my first AB! I think they’ve had it for a while, because that was last summer.

In the fall I was making a lot of breakfasts inside squash (acorn halves, usually) but I would do egg scrambles mainly… Oats are an awesome and much better idea. I understand how sad it is to be out of kabocha :( Butternut is a good substitute though – it’s probably my second favorite (that or regular pumpkin).

I had pretty simple carb action for breakfast today – oat bran + almond butter (whole foods fresh stuff) + spinach. I’m thinking I’ll have to do it again for dinner or dessert.

If you’re scared of soup in a bread bowl… have you heard of the pasta in a bread bowl from pizza hut? (I think it’s pizza hut.) I keep seeing commercials for it. It’s ridiculous.

Have a lovely Saturday :)

jenngirl May 23, 2009 at 3:39 pm

Yea I REALLY don’t understand the new “pasta bread bowls” that dominoes (or whatever pizza place) is selling now. I’m all about pasta and a PIECE of french bread on the side, but pasta served INSIDE a bread bowl?? Okay, if I were a marathon runner, MAYBEEE…

Cool way to eat oat bran though!! ;)

Melissa S. May 23, 2009 at 4:12 pm

oh my lady…you crack me up. and make me drool.

CurlyTop May 23, 2009 at 5:03 pm

Heather,

First off-Happy Saturday! I’ve got a whole relaxing afternoon of lounging and blog reading on the agenda. Hooray for weekends!

Your oatbran in squash looks fantabulous! I’ve got to try that out!

You know I saw a jar of that almond butter for 19 bucks the other day? CRAZINESS!

Hope your weekend is wonderful!
With Love,
Emily

Jessica (jesslikesithot) May 23, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Have you seen that commercial for the papa john’s/pizza hut/domino’s (one of those places) new pasta dishes in BREAD BOWLS…..holy guacmoleeee man, that is some serious carb-o action right there!!

I would for sure go for your type of carb combination though….mmmmm almond butter!!! And ahhh I must get my hands on these massive costco jars i’m seeing everywhere, maybe i’ll wait till they stock up on CRUNCHY (my fave!). :)

Ashley May 23, 2009 at 5:59 pm

You’ve taken oat in a almond nut butter jar to a whole new level! Oats in squash! Very smart of you…!

By the way, I finally tried cauliflower oats. I really enjoyed them! Mmmmm. Does that count as carb on carb?

nicolegodiva May 23, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Haha. I like this… and i love costco for their almond butter for sure… I felt like my jar disappeared a little too fast though!

psychoj1 May 23, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Almond Butter at Costco? Awesome!! Love your breakfast :D
<3 jess

Erin May 23, 2009 at 8:15 pm

LOL. Your, um, dessert (?) is, um, interesting. You got talent, I’ll give ya that!

ruby red vegan May 23, 2009 at 9:25 pm

love the butt! thanks for the laugh, heather!

but seriously. butternut squash oat bran is where it’s at, i must agree. (and nut butter with oat bran is a must, which really goes without saying. but i said it anyway.) i am looking forward to having butternut oat bran tomorrow morning as well, though i mash mine up and whip it into my oat bran. i love roasting up a huge butternut and look forward to having butternut oats for days on end!

lambayinver May 23, 2009 at 9:27 pm

I always buy almond butter at Costco, it’s very cheap. I love your breakfast ideas. Something for me who usually always eat the same thing every morning.

Keep having a good weekend!

Caroline May 23, 2009 at 10:58 pm

LOVE this idea–you continue to amaze me.

Cecilia May 23, 2009 at 11:01 pm

I just want to add my piece to da pasta in a bowl comment … To gross all of u out further, in australia they serve the pasta in a Puff pastry bowl!!! I know, totally disgusting.

yogiclarebear May 23, 2009 at 11:51 pm

happy saturday heather! WOW what an AWESOME idea! i love pumpkin oats to begin with…but butternut butt oats?! that is dinner party worthy.

have you ever had delicata squash? i just planted some in my garden today and have high hopes. if i get a decent crop i will send you some. it is my favorite squash.

have a great rest of the weekend!

Gina May 24, 2009 at 4:59 am

That breakfast looks awesome Heather…yum. I’m totally jealous of that almond butter deal, that is awesome!

carolinebee May 24, 2009 at 8:07 am

Crunchy AB!?? My costco doesn’t even have reduced fat freaking wheat thins! Looks like i’m comin to Nash- i’ll bring you some fro :D

Alisa - Frugal Foodie May 24, 2009 at 8:36 am

Awesome deal on the almond butter!

How many different types of yoga do you do anyway? I do yoga, but have no idea what the differences are. Mmmm, oats this week, yum!

Gena May 24, 2009 at 9:31 am

You continue to make me drool with all of these GORGEOUS squash photos! And ain’t nothin’ wrong with carbs on carbs :)

Pearl May 24, 2009 at 11:26 am

yum squash!

Mandy Unruh May 24, 2009 at 12:06 pm

I am so excited to find your blog! Your story and your recipes are super inspiring. I’m going to walk to Whole Foods today to pick up the ingredients for your famous chia oatbran. I’m going to post a link to your blog on mine and will be following!

stephaniescarborough May 24, 2009 at 12:36 pm

That looks crazy-tasty! Makes me want to put almond butter on something and eat it right now!

Lara (Thinspired) May 24, 2009 at 2:39 pm

Carbs getting action..hehe..you are too cute. I have to say, I would never think to put AB on some of the things you do Miss Heather, but I think it’s genius! This must have been a great combination of salty and sweet. I need to take a cue from you and use AB more liberally in my life. If only the Costco in the UK stocked it, I would have a greater supply!! I still have a jar of Barney Butter from my trip home in march…about 1/2 jar…can you belive I’ve made it last so long?! I’m pretty proud, but maybe I should be ashamed? ;)

the dainty pig May 24, 2009 at 4:39 pm

oh my gosh. oats inside squash!? with nut butter? genius. true genius.

Sarah May 25, 2009 at 12:09 am

I danced in the aisle today and said, “HEAB was right!” Chris said, “Huh?” Alas, ours only carries creamy as well…

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) May 25, 2009 at 5:18 pm

That brunch looks perfect. The MaraNatha Almond butter (raw) is my fave. They have just come out with a no-stir variety that is full of sugar and other weird stuff. How hard is it to stick a knife in and move it about a little?

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) May 26, 2009 at 1:13 pm

Hahaha, you are so adventurous, I love it!

Lexie May 26, 2009 at 1:47 pm

I never knew Costco carried Almond Butter and that is a good price!

Sammie May 26, 2009 at 6:45 pm

Oh Heather that looks so yummy. I love the idea of an edible bowl. That is a big old jar of creamy almond goodness.

~M August 29, 2009 at 4:45 pm

I can no longer find Maranatha almond butter at my Costco…is it still available where you are? Where is the next cheapest place to get Marantha’s amazing roasted almond butter? Thanks!

EmGrover September 17, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I’m so glad you tried my Bran/Squash Bowl/Nutbutter idea!!!!!! I love it!

HEAB September 17, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Me too Em. Don’t know why I don’t eat it more often! Hope you have a good weekend. :)

emgrover September 17, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Oops, I just followed the link in your email and thought this was a new post, now I see it was an old post and this was YOUR idea!! Yummy!!!

{ 1 trackback }