A Day In The Life Of CD

by HEAB on June 4, 2009

So, what does the husband of a green oat eating almond butter lovin yogini eat? Well, yesterday, CD was kind enough to let me photograph everything that went into his belly.  Shall we begin?

CD laced up his running shoes & headed out the door at 6 AM for a workout consisting of a 3 mile warm up + 6 miles at 5:45 pace + 1 mile cool down. He returned home with a smoothie on the brain, only to discover that I had monopolized the Vita-Mix with a batch of chia protein oats. Hehe – I decided they had thickened up enough and quickly blended my oats with some spinach so that CD could make his smoothie:

CD prefers his greens in salad form...unblended. :)

CD prefers his greens in salad form...unblended.

This smoothie contained 1 cup water, 1 cup kefir, vanilla protein powder, frozen strawberries, pineapple, peaches, and blueberries.  He had this glass x’s 2.  CD’s glass of choice is usually the Vita-Mix and a spoon, but unlike me, he wanted to appear more civilized on the World Wide Web. :)

Next up was a mid-morning breakfast prepared by his lovely wife:

Fluffy Eggs

Fluffy Eggs

If CD does his run before work, I try to help out and make him a breakfast if I have time.  CD is very particular about his eggs, but I think I’ve mastered his recipe. Using 1 heaping TBSP of unrefined coconut oil (makes the fluffiest eggs!), I scramble 3 whole eggs with 1/2 cup of carton egg whites.  When the eggs are almost done cooking, I crumble 1 piece of whole wheat toast into the mix, and then let them cool in the skillet while CD gets ready for work.

Before leaving for the office, he packs up his egg-toast concoction with a big spoonful of this:

IMG_2392Chris has black unsweetened coffee when he gets to work and eats his eggs around 11 AM.  He then comes home between 12:30 – 1 PM to see the pups so that we can have lunch together.  Yesterday, while I blended up a big green smoothie for myself, CD made the following:

Real men love salads!

Real men love salads!

We try and keep our fridge stocked with fresh veggies as we both love making Hugh Jass salads.  I’m not even sure what all was included in CD’s lunch yesterday. Looks like romaine, carrots, grape tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, raisins, Caesar dressing, and Humbecue Salmon Salad which Chris prefers heavy on the hummus & light on the Q.  CD is a huge fan of Jenn’s Humbecue creations, and now refers to our oldest pup as Einstein Bender.  I kid you not.

My favorite runner’s afternoon fuel of choice?  6 frozen dark chocolate squares:

Hershey's extra dark - we buy it in bulk at Costco.

Hershey's extra dark - we buy it in bulk at Costco.

CD usually gets home from work a little after 5 PM if he’s already done his run for the day.  If I’m not working late, we usually eat pretty early – around 6ish.  I decided on an all raw dinner last night starring Gena’s guacamole, but CD wanted some meat.  So, he made himself one of his favorite dinners (I love cooking together in the kitchen and then sitting down to a meal at the table.  Do you guys ever cook with your husbands/boyfriends?):

Marinutta meat & veggies with parm.

Marinutta meat & veggies with parm.

CD sauteed 1/2 lb. hamburger meat with mushrooms and onions and then mixed it all together with almond butter Marinutta Sauce.  Almost every CD dinner gets topped with Parmesan cheese. (Do you approve Maggie? :) )

CD’s after dinner snacks consisted of:

A chopped apple which he shared with Radley, the pup.

a chopped apple which he shared with Radley, the pup.

and brown rice chips straight from the bag:

IMG_2399There you have it – a day in the life of CD.  Many of you have emailed me to ask if Chris and I eat the same things.  My answer is we eat similar, but while I’m more of a veggie/oat girl, CD is more of a veggie/meat guy.

One of the things that really attracted me to Chris was his interest in healthy eating and exercise, as both are so important to me.  Honestly, I think it would be difficult to eat the way I do if I was married to someone who ate nothing but fast food all the time.  Yes, Chris frowns when I get out the broccoli steamer, but he is so supportive of my interests in diet and exercise.  I would not be the person I am today without him.  Love you so much CD!

I leave you with…

Heather’s Random Comment of the Day:

CD, your smoothies are so pretty.  Mine always end up looking like green poo. :(

FoodsThatFit June 4, 2009 at 10:32 am

Wow, not only is CD a super duper fast runner, he cooks up some mean meals!

I wish that my hubby liked to cook, but that is where we are very different! However, he is very supportive of my experiments and adventures in the kitchen, so it works out just fine. I do wish he would share the excitement of all the creations I could make if I had a Vitamix, LOL! He’s like “do we really need one more thing for the counter top?” Me: “YES!” Haha!!

I do think you could have an influence on his pretty pink smoothie…throw in a handful of greens and I bet he wouldn’t be able to taste the difference!

Coconutgal June 4, 2009 at 10:40 am

This post was so cute!!! I love cooking with my man– although he isn’t as into healthy food as yours is. He is getting there though! I am always telling him the latest and greatest of my research and I think he’s moving in a healthier direction. He’s also been kind enough to give up some of my major flare-up foods to help me be stress-free in the kitchen. He’s a good man!
Tell CD I eat out of the Vitamix all the time too– it’s totally civilized!
Ok you are SO blessed that he gets to come home for lunch, that is awesome!! What does he do?

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) June 4, 2009 at 10:45 am

Aww love the Day in the Life of CD! I agree, eating healthy is so much easier when you have the support of those around you. So great that he is into healthy eating too!!

And yes, REAL men DO eat salad!!!!

Rose June 4, 2009 at 10:47 am

I loved this post. CD eats really well! I’m impressed that he knocks out that much running in the AM too.

You should see Bill’s daily eats. Right now he’s on the grad school PB and jelly diet, which has been super fun.

The Novice Berker June 4, 2009 at 10:47 am

This was so flippin’ cute. What a great idea!! And I laughed that you included “Heather’s Random Comment of the Day” instead of CD’s. Adorable! :)

And I’m betting my life would be easier if the BF was a healthier eater, but alas. He is not. He is a “4 slices of white toast for breakfast, skip lunch, nachos for dinner, and half a package of cookies for a midnight snack” kind of guy. Woe is me. :(

Erica June 4, 2009 at 10:48 am

Love this reverse post! I should totally do this with Josh! He can eat ginormous amounts on certain days- its so impressive! CD eats VERY healthy (nice job CD) and of course I love the Heather quote of the day ;)

prettyladycmu June 4, 2009 at 10:54 am

I love cooking with my husband! We have similar tastes, though not the same. He likes heavier meals than I do, but we find a way to balance our needs. I wouldn’t want to make him eat what I do b/c it’s not right for his body!

fitforfree June 4, 2009 at 10:57 am

Awesome post! He’s definitely a clean eater! And it’s nice to see that you don’t have to eat a ton of carbs/refined food even when you’re running so much and burning so many calories . . .

My boyfriend was a major fast food junkie until last summer, when he decided to become vegan for a year and turn around his relationship with food. Now we cook and eat together all the time. It’s awesome!

ksgoodeats June 4, 2009 at 11:07 am

I really like the idea of putting a piece of toast in scrambled eggs! That sounds good!! What a pretty smoothie too – PINK! In your defense, I do like your green smoothies too!

I’m impressed by two things in CD’s daily eats: 1. How healthy it is! You scored the jackpot with that one Heather! 2. I wish I had a guys metabolism!!

VeggieGirl June 4, 2009 at 11:19 am

Love CD! :-D

Cindy June 4, 2009 at 11:30 am

Don’t even get me started on the color of MY SMOOTHIE’s

I want that PINK one!

I am definately the cook in the fam… hubs is da GRILL MASTER.

He’s WAY supportive of my eating habits/changes/improvements. and he is almost ALMOST always game to try them and gives me good feed back….. “it tastes like an OLD FOLKS HOME” was not among my favorite feed backs!

and sometimes I push him too far and he makes a stop at IN and OUT

its definately an adventure in a home with 3 men and just me and the CAT, but it all works.

GREAT FUN POST. If I even knew what my husband consumed when I am away it would probably something like can of chicken chili over a hot dog and bread, and slice of bread, salami and mustard…that’s a staple.

I am lucky he even TRIES my stuff.

polly June 4, 2009 at 11:33 am

Love that CD! He is obviously very picky… on loves the most beautiful, healthy, wonderful, lovable food… and WIFE. :)

He seems to have the cream of the crop on both fronts. ;) Heabs, we are so blessed to be married to our best friends, and guys who also love eating healthy and real food! They like REAL women and REAL eats!! Gotta love it!! :P

Love you much! That smoothis is so darn pretty… but green poo taste awesome. How crazy is THAT sentence?

XOXO

brandi June 4, 2009 at 11:34 am

this was such a fun post! I should post what my hubby eats in a day sometime – that was fun to see :)

Erin June 4, 2009 at 11:43 am

This was really fun to see. I am usually clueless on what to feed guys! I love your comment too. most of the things I make look like poo it seems, but they taste delicious.
CD’s smoothie is way better looking than any of mine!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 4, 2009 at 11:43 am

It is very difficult to be a healthy particular eater and live with someone who eats junk, I speak from experience. I’m helping my husband cut back on his portions and make healthy substitutions so he can get healthier, but its difficult because he is SO PICKY and won’t even touch most vegetables, including lettuce. Ugh. But I’m working on it ;-)

You are lucky to have CD :)

Holly June 4, 2009 at 11:50 am

Heather, this was so sweet!!! You two really are absolutely adorable together. It’s obvious you’re crazy about each other, and why shouldn’t you be?!

I hope to find someone who shares a love of health and fitness, too. I think it would be difficult to be with someone who not only didn’t like healthy food, but never worked out. Buuuut I don’t want a guy to be more obsessed than I am. That’s craziness!

And I love how you have lunch together everyday, too. That is so rare!

Nicole June 4, 2009 at 12:04 pm

I really liked this post! Very cute.

My boyfriend is interested in health and fitness, like I am. He’s also a vegan. I learned my healthy habits from him, though!

Susan June 4, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Such a great idea for a post. Wow, your boy can RUN!!! My Chris and I cook together, but it usually consists of him manning the bbq while I make the veggies in the kitchen :P My Chris isn’t the healthiest eater when left to his own devices, but he hardly ever turns his nose up at healthy concoctions I make for him.

Not only does a real man eat a big salad, but he drinks pink smoothies too :D

Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 4, 2009 at 12:07 pm

Oh man, the fiance’s eats aren’t NEARLY as great as CD’s… they usually consist of something of the “foot-long” variety or something of the “burrito bol” variety. Then whatever I cook for dinner!

charlotte June 4, 2009 at 12:28 pm

You guys are adorable!! And totally made for each other:) Although now I have a chocolate craving and nary a chip in the house to quell it…

homegirlcaneat June 4, 2009 at 12:32 pm

I love this post! You and CD share so many of the same interests in food and exercise but a little different at the same time! I love that. I hope to find a hubby I love that much and is totally A-OK and supportive with my crazy eats, blogging, and love for all things green! :)

Maggie June 4, 2009 at 12:43 pm

I totally approve :)

This is a really cool post. Sometimes I wish that Bobby were more interested in health and fitness, because it’s a good thing to bond over. We cook together rarely but it’s so fun when we do.

I’m very wife-y in that I make almost all of Bobby’s meals (so he ends up eating healthily, even if he’s not trying, ha!). I think I’ve mastered the eggs too, except I use olive oil instead – I’ve never tried coconut oil!

I think that if you mixed up your eating habits and CD’s, you’d get mine. I do love the parm :D

And your comment cracked me up. I use the word “poo” to describe my food a lot too. But it’s just so yum!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) June 4, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Wow, CD is super healthy! And super fast! Sounds like he’s pretty dedicated to running and clean eats. Maybe we should re-nickname him OCD? Haha, I kid – I just wanted to use that joke.

The boyf has learned all his good health habits from me, I’m not gonna lie. If he had his way it would be Taco Bell and Domino’s every day, but now he loves to try new and healthy restaurants and recipes with me – even vegetarian! GASP.

Emily June 4, 2009 at 1:12 pm

My husband and I eat similarly too, but I’m vegan and he’s not. I cook eggs for his breakfast almost every day, and when we are able to eat other meals together, I usually separate our portions and might cook some meat or add some cheese for him. Probably makes me a bad vegan, but I like to cook for him, and I know he’s eating well (well enough; I wouldn’t be disappointed if he gave up the meats)! Everything I bake is vegan; my chocolate chip cookies are his favorite :)

the dainty pig June 4, 2009 at 1:38 pm

hehehe :) What a great post!!
I’m always envious of pretty coloured smoothies too (mine look like green poo also…in fact so do by bowls of green oats….yick!!).

Have a lovely day!

ellie June 4, 2009 at 1:45 pm

loved this post- have often wondered what blogger’s partners eat! I am single and live alone, but bloggers aside, get very strange looks if I mention something like pumpkin and peanut butter oatmeal!

Meredith (Pursuing Balance) June 4, 2009 at 1:51 pm

Cute post!
I love cooking with my boyfriend! It’s like playing house :)

Gena (Choosing Raw) June 4, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Great post, Heather! I have never quite seen eye to eye with a boyfriend on food, but fundamental respect and understanding is totally key.

So you, VeggieGirl and I are all addicted to the guac. As far as new addictions go, it ain’t a bad one!

jenngirl June 4, 2009 at 1:58 pm

A day in the life of CD is so healthy! I love it when men enjoy healthy foods, I bet it makes life in your house easier too :)

Kristie June 4, 2009 at 2:23 pm

Hahah I loved this post! It’s great seeing what a HEALTHY man eats. I’m pretty impressed with his eating habits. And his smoothie, it looks pretty darn perfect. It’s so cool that you guys still eat similar meals though. You’ve got a darn cool hubby I’d say ;)

janetha June 4, 2009 at 2:42 pm

i have always wanted to do this with my boyfriend! i get a kick over how MUCH FOOD he can eat. CD really does eat some good, healthy stuff! thanks for sharing :)

gina (fitnessista) June 4, 2009 at 2:52 pm

what a fun post to read! i’m impressed with how well cd eats– that’s awesome
i don’t cook WITH the pilot, but always cook for him. the poor guy would starve if i left it up to him ;) he always does the dishes, though!
those rice chips are amazing!
have a great day!

april June 4, 2009 at 3:47 pm

so cool your husband eats healthy! We buy that same chocolate and my mom always hides it in the freezer!

Shelby June 4, 2009 at 4:25 pm

What a fun post! It’s great seeing what CD eats while you’re scarfing down some purple cauliflower oats =)

Love you comment of the day too!!!

gutenmegan June 4, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Is toast in eggs a … thing? I’ve never heard of it before! But I’m far from an egg connoisseur.

Always interesting to see how couples with different dietary interests/needs deal with the differences.

psychoj1 June 4, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Haha thank you for this! Really interesting :) Love the smoothie, and I love that dark chocolate. Yum!
<3 jess

redeemedbyblood June 4, 2009 at 6:12 pm

5:45 pace? you can tell CD he’s amazing!

traveleatlove June 4, 2009 at 6:27 pm

Hehe I was just going to say how much prettier his smoothie is than my brownish/purplish/greenish blends! Hubby and I love cooking together. He is my sous chef, and he has really starting cooking so much more and eating SO much better in the 6 years we have been together!

Heather (be well & take care) June 4, 2009 at 6:49 pm

This was such an awesome post – thanks to CD (and you!) for sharing/documenting it. I am always fascinated by the diets of bloggers significant others. My boyfriend eats fairly healthy but better when I am around. He will eat ANYTHING I make him, so that’s good. He prefers eggs for breakfast over oats, but eggs are better than sausage biscuits, so I’ll take it! I buy the same Sunspire from Costco – so delicious! Although I can’t find the almond butter at mine just yet…how sad.

I had my Jay Robb in oats this morning — LOVED IT!!!! Thank you so much!

CaSaundra June 4, 2009 at 6:49 pm

I hope I can find a husband who shares my love for healthy eating!!! Your lucky =)

Anna June 4, 2009 at 7:19 pm

I love this! I think it would be so neat if all bloggers did some posts about what their significant others/families eat. We see each others (often healthy) eats all the time, but it would be fun to see if our families eat differently.

That smoothie does look quite pretty! Mine always look like mud too :)

Jenn (eating bender) June 4, 2009 at 7:51 pm

Hi Heather!

Wow, a day in the life of CD? I feel like I am getting the VIP treatment tonight :) Seriously though, this was a great idea! It’s always interesting to see the food world from a guy’s point of view. There are always some similarities, but often there are also some hilarious differences.

It appears that CD has GREAT taste. I love his smoothie and egg breakfast – the egg combination sounds really filling and delicious. I love the crumbled toast topping, too!

I’m also so glad to see that Chris does enjoy the Humbecue. Come to think of it, I’ve been heavy on the “hum” and light on the “cue” myself these days. And the Einstein Bender nickname really cracks me up and makes me very happy!

I think the six frozen dark chocolate squares need to become mandatory in my household. That picture just screams voluminous goodness. I love your dinner, too. Cooking with Bobby is so much fun! We had omelette nights together last summer…I can’t wait for what we come up with here on out :)

So good to catch up on your fabulous blog. I hope you have a wonderful evening!

CurlyTop June 4, 2009 at 8:38 pm

Heather,

Boys amaze me. Really I can just sit and watch them eat forever. Those metabolisms! Crazy.

Out of total curiosity–has CD every counted the average number of calories he burns on those runs? That’s quite a treck!

With Love,

Emily

Sarah June 4, 2009 at 8:54 pm

What a fun post! I saw the salad and I said, “CD had a HUGH JASS!” Although I bet CD has never in his life had a huge ass.

I was actually a little surprised at how similarly ya’ll eat!

Amanda June 4, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Loved getting to see this! Cooking with my boyfriend is one of my favorite things to do – he really enjoys creative and healthy cooking and is pretty much open to try anything – he admits to liking tofu these days!

Mandy Unruh June 4, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Vindication! Feel so much better that another happily married couple eats different meals. When you have two intuitive eaters, agreeing on a craving at the same time is a bit of a blue moon moment.

Erin June 4, 2009 at 10:51 pm

Totally sexy, athletic, witty, and eats healthy too?
You’re lying! Is he real?

bibixs June 4, 2009 at 11:37 pm

i think i just got the “hugh jass” salad thing ahhahahahahahaha

Elizabeth June 5, 2009 at 12:04 am

Wow I am in awe of how fast CD runs! Thats so amazing to my slow 11 minute mile ass. :)

I also think its so great how healthfully he eats! I do happen to have one of those husbands who loves his junk food and it really does make it so hard to eat the right things. I do love cooking together though..and when I am in the kitchen, his food decisions have to have me in mind too! :)

I love the pink smoothie too..its so pretty. I just recently made the switch to green and sometimes I do miss the beauty of the pink stuff! :)

Foodie (Fab and Delicious Food) June 5, 2009 at 12:21 am

Cool post! So interesting to see what CD eats!

Those Hershey Dark Chocolates are so good! Great idea to freeze them!

Lara (Thinspired) June 5, 2009 at 3:31 am

Wow, CD eats SO well! When Matt did his guest post on my blog of what he eats I was a little nervous because it’s not “normal” blogworld stuff! But this is awesome, and he is an amazing runner! You two are obviously a compatible pair :)

Adi (oatonomy.com) June 5, 2009 at 5:23 am

Great post! It’s always fun to creepily know about blogger’s friends and family’s eating habits! :)
I love riceworks crackers… especially the flavour CD has! Yummy. And always easy on the tummy.
Have a great day!

Samantha June 5, 2009 at 5:57 am

Great post…it’s great to see how couples can mesh (or not) their eating styles. My hubby is very much a meat guy but he’s always open to trying whatever concoctions I come up with, and MOST of the time likes them. Then again he’s on a submarine most of the year eating dehydrated/reconstituted food!

Really REALLY love Gena’s raw guac…its great stuff!

WOW, CD is a speed demon!

Alison June 5, 2009 at 6:14 am

You’ve got a healthy husband. My hubby loves all the healthy food I cook, but on his own ends up eating fast food or getting big lunches at work.

Jennifer June 5, 2009 at 7:03 am

i try to cook with my boo as often as possible. it’s a must for quality time together.

Metta June 5, 2009 at 7:13 am

That is the most beautiful smoothie I think I’ve ever seen. Mine never look that pretty. It is so awesome that you two can combine both your eating styles in harmony.

elise June 5, 2009 at 8:03 am

i love this! i took pics of kyles food the other day and have yet to make it into a post, but i always enjoy reading about what other bloggers’ significant others eat (and think of the food blogging community, too)!

seems like you guys are the perfect pair :)

Briana In Tucson (now in Chicago) June 5, 2009 at 9:03 am

I am so envious. My boyfriend eats nothing but fast food and frozen dinners. I thought after this many years together that some of my healthy eating would have rubbed off on him. Apparently not. But a girl can dream, right? :)

Karina Pinzon June 5, 2009 at 9:18 am

I just came across your blog. I like it alot! :) and wow, CD sure eats very healthy for being a guy! You guys seem to be a perfect match for one another.
<3Karina

Karina Pinzon June 5, 2009 at 9:18 am

<3Karina

luckytastebuds June 5, 2009 at 9:38 am

Hi Heather!!! I have found the perfect person to answer my queries as you are the most educated “raw” person ever! I was wondering what kind of sweeteners you use! i’m currently hunting for the best sugar substitute there is , (i’m trying desperately to wean off the artifical sugars…*gulp* splendaaa) and have no idea what to make of my options…honey, agave, truvia, maple syrup?!?!

What do you use? And…do you ever wonder if that’s the best option for your health and diet?

Emily June 6, 2009 at 8:58 am

So fun to read about what CD eats while you are enjoying your green oats, Heather! And I liked the addition of a random comment from you at the end of the post. :-)

It’s so nice that you can both share your interests in health and nutrition. I hope I find someone like that someday!

justine June 7, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Haha!! I love it. Good thing you are not married to Justin because you would be eating nothing but Blue Bell, Hooters, macaroni and Mexican cheese dip!!!

~Justine

Susie July 1, 2009 at 12:42 am

It’s driving me nuts! I can’t figure out what CD stands for! >_<

eatmovelove April 19, 2010 at 10:45 am

Is there pasta with the dinner? Or what are the veggies? Looks good!

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 19, 2010 at 10:45 am

Eatmovelove, No pasta. All veggies. :)

Heather Eats Almond Butter April 19, 2010 at 10:46 am

Eatmovelove, I think it was just onion, mushrooms, and hamburger meat with the marinutta sauce.

{ 2 trackbacks }