Old Habits

by HEAB on June 8, 2009

Yesterday morning, I was super excited to use a new bowl we got at Costco for my breakfast. :)

IMG_2430

CD and I went through this 26 ounce jar of almond butter in 2 weeks.  It would have been gone a lot sooner, but I’ve also been working my way through a jar of homemade pecan nut butter.

In went the banana:

I love having the banana and almond butter waiting for me at the end.

I love having the banana and almond butter waiting for me at the bottom.

Next up was the oat bran mixed with Jay Robb’s vanilla rice protein powder:

The perfect breakfast. You better believed I scraped that jar clean!

The perfect breakfast, and you better believed I scraped that jar clean!

Confession time:  So, I felt really guilty about the amount of food I ate on Saturday, and guess what I did after breakfast yesterday?  I went to go for a run on one of my favorite trails.  About 5 minutes into the run, all I wanted to do was stop and walk as I wasn’t really enjoying it.  I questioned why I was even out there, and I knew it wasn’t to enjoy a lovely trail run in the woods.  No, it was to burn off all the calories I consumed the day before.  So, I stopped and walked the rest of the way. A year ago, I would have kept running.  In fact, I probably would have run the trail once and then turned around and ran it again in the opposite direction as that is what I usually did if I felt I overate. Of course, I was pissed when the couple I past while running eventually caught up to me and then passed me, but I just kept walking. A 45 minute walk on a challenging trail is great exercise…why do I still have a hard time accepting this?  So, I want y’all to know that I still struggle, but I’m getting there. :)

Now for an exciting new recipe I tried for dinner last night:

Raw pasta with marinara.

Raw pasta with marinara.

Another winner from Gena!  My bowl contained spinach, raw yellow squash noodles (I’m obsessed with my spiralizer), and mushrooms.  I then topped everything with Gena’s marinara sauce and some Parm (grated raw jicama). I love Gena’s simple approach to raw eating, and this recipe was no exception as it took no time to make and tasted wonderful. Plus, I was stuffed.  Stuffed from nothing but raw veggies and a little olive oil?  Yes, trust me, it’s possible.

CD’s Random Comment Of The Day:

Sorry my friends, you’ll have to be patient for more comments…CD has been to busy watching the NBA playoffs.  Will they ever end?!?

Briana in Tucson (now in Chicago) June 8, 2009 at 8:41 am

Yeah! First comment!

fitforfree June 8, 2009 at 8:46 am

Heather, that’s awesome — I needed to read this today, as I feel like I ate “too much” over the weekend and feel like I need to either run, go to yoga, or eat only veggies all day . . . none of these things will help in the long run! Just needed a reminder to return to my normal balanced habits :-)
love your dinner!!!

VeggieGirl June 8, 2009 at 8:48 am

Gena’s recipes = epic.

I’m here for ya, Heather!! You’re doing fabulously with progressing and learning to accept, so hang in there.

Erica June 8, 2009 at 8:49 am

Ow nut butter. You are so delicious ;) I’m glad you decided to walk, I get the “need to exercise to burn this off guilt as well” as well….drives me nutso. Positive thoughts usually guide me through…most of the time ;)

brandi June 8, 2009 at 8:49 am

okay, I have to do the oatmeal/oatbran IN the almond butter jar next time :) Good thing? another jar is almost gone, so I can!

I totally get that, Heather. I’m trying really hard to NOT go running (or walk or yoga or whatever) just because I feel like I need to make up for a “bad decision” or whatever. That’s so silly and I know it, but it is hard to get out of that habit.

GOOD FOR YOU for walking and not being a slave to that old habit :)

Briana in Tucson (now in Chicago) June 8, 2009 at 8:50 am

Ok, now that I officially have the first comment for the day, I can take my time to construct a real comment. This post hit home for me because I too sometimes struggle with the whole I-ate-too-much-so-now-I-have-to-burn-it-off-thing. I wish that I had a good story about how I got over this bad behavior, but I don’t. I used to be terrible. I mean, really bad. Like over eat then make myself do three hours of cardio kind of bad. That much of an extreme is definitely disordered.

The funny thing is that now, I simply don’t have the energy to do that to myself anymore. I hated the way it made me feel, I hated being obsessed with the numbers, and I hated making myself do exercise that I really wasn’t into. I still have my (very occasional) bad moments, but now things are different. If I’ve overdone it one day, I just forget about it, get up, and go about my normal workout and healthy eating regime. The worst thing I can do is try to push myself too hard or cut back too much at the next meal.

Ok, this is turning into a novel and I’ve only barely scratched the surface of this subject, so I will let it go. I will leave it for others. Love you, Heather.

Lara June 8, 2009 at 8:50 am

what brand of spiralizer do you use?

Great job on doing what felt best for your body and mind. Such a healthier way to live then pounding out the exercise for the sake of the calorie burn.

CaSaundra June 8, 2009 at 8:55 am

I love kicking old habits in the rear! Way to go =)

carolinebee June 8, 2009 at 8:57 am

That is such a great story you shared. I find myself doing/thinking the same thing, but it’s SO nice to compare my actions with this time, last year or 2 years ago…and at least see how much progress I’ve made from disordered thoughts/behaviors :) It’s nice to know we have potential!!

Gena (Choosing Raw) June 8, 2009 at 9:14 am

Really happy that you had this realization, Heather!

Getting rid of my exercise compulsion actually took me many more years than ED recovery. Long after I’d stopped “restricting” food, I still tended to monitor myself or regulate myself with working out. So I totally understand. It’s a tough mindset to break. You’re finding balance in beautiful and healthy ways, and I am so proud.

SO GLAD you like the marinara!!

ksgoodeats June 8, 2009 at 9:15 am

Bah the NBA playoffs…my Pistons blew this year! It’s all about the NHL right now in Michigan! In fact our local news reporter said (and I quote), “In NBA news, not that anyone cares…” ;)

Thanks for the confession! It’s important to recognize when things like that happen because then you can focus on the real problem and find a better solution! Walking is always great in my book!

Anne K. June 8, 2009 at 9:18 am

Wow, I’m proud of you! I sometimes struggle too with the “ate too much, gotta burn it off” mentality. I used to be REALLY bad, and would punish myself by forcing myself to exercise. And I used to “overeat” ebout every day, so I spent many long hard sessions in the gym :(
That’s awesome that you were able to break the habit and just walk. You’re right, it still is great exercise. But it can be hard to accept that. You’re really progressing :)

Anna June 8, 2009 at 9:19 am

That oatbran/banana in the jar trick is so cool! I’ll have to try it the next time I finish a jar.

Thanks for sharing that story with us. I think that is a common sentiment shared by many people, whether they realize it or not. Good for you for challenging yourself to change your ways. For me, I know that exercise is 10x more enjoyable when it’s proactive rather than reactive- that is, I have the most fun when I exercise for the pure joy of moving, not because I feel like I “should” to make up for past decisions.

Emma June 8, 2009 at 9:25 am

Thank you for posting the story – the compulsion to exercise is something that is far to common. I’m glad you came to the realization, and took the time to stop, slow down, and continue in an enjoyable way – not a way just to make up for something else. I know it is something I struggle with, but let’s keep positive and enjoy our exercise simply as part of a healthy life, not a punishment.

Have a wonderful day!
Emma

Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 8, 2009 at 9:40 am

I’m so proud of you, lovely Heather! Way to acknowledge your reasoning and then kick it to the curb (or trail, i guess).

prettyladycmu June 8, 2009 at 9:42 am

So great that you are tackling those habits every day and I’m glad you have many more good days than bad. That’s what counts, right?

Your raw pasta looks wonderful. Where did you get your spiralizer??

lilveggiepatch June 8, 2009 at 9:45 am

I struggle with the same patterns of guilt and compulsory exercise. Thanks for sharing your story! Since I’ve been on vacation I haven’t done any formal kind of exercise AT ALL, but we have been walking a whole lot. I can deal with that!

Pearl June 8, 2009 at 9:53 am

what a great idea for a BOWL! question though – how did you get the bananas out of there? i always have to scoop in with an extra long spoon.

Emily June 8, 2009 at 9:54 am

I struggle with the same thing. I also walked my normal running route this weekend because of my ankle, which was really hard for me, but I realized that not running is a pride issue, and I need to do what’s best for my body.

I had green oats the other day in your honor. Holy fiber! They filled me right up!

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) June 8, 2009 at 9:54 am

I used to do the same thing with overeating and overexercising. I still get the urge too sometimes (like after drinking a little too much wine this weekend!) but ya know what, I think my body knows how to recover itself. No need to push it to do something it doesn’t want, ya know? Thanks for the insight, H!

Oh, and love the new bowl from Costco. I ended up licking my empty jar clean last time but am definitely going to do this at the end of this next jar =)

janetha June 8, 2009 at 9:58 am

it is hard to believe that dinner is raw, it honestly looks like real noodles and cheese! i have never thought to grate jicama.. what a good idea. any ideas how you can make raw “noodles” if you don’t have a spiralizer?

i love the jar bowl, you have really made it a trend here in blogland! i will have to try it when i am getting down to the end of my jar.

that’s really good you didn’t MAKE yourself run as sort of “punishment” for eating more than usual. and you were able to enjoy a nice hike it sounds like. i sometimes have a problem getting over the fact that i conceived a food baby.. but i have come to terms with the fact that as long as i don’t do that EVERY DAY, i probably won’t double in size like i feel like i am going to right after eating.

thanks for the post, have a great day!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) June 8, 2009 at 10:00 am

That’s a great reflection, HEAB! I admire that you can realize those kinds of things in the moment. I had sort of a similar reflex Sunday morning, though I didn’t realize it at the time – I definitely “enjoyed” myself Friday and Saturday, so I woke up Sunday morning with every intention of exercising, but then realized that I’d planned a lunch date with a friend whose apt. is a 25 minute walk from the subway stop. So I brought the iPod and hoofed it, enjoying every minute in the sunshine. Totally counts all the same, and I enjoyed it way more than what would have been forced running or weights or some other non-weekendy nonsense. And then we had a large (though pretty healthy) lunch, so my gut told me I’d rather have something light and veggie-riffic for dinner, and I made Gena’s guac! My body knows what to do, and I could follow it a lot better if I would shut up long enough to listen… :)

Hearts Whole Foods June 8, 2009 at 10:03 am

Heather, I love your honesty. We all do struggle with this, but I’m so glad that you are getting stronger! I need to start having that ability to reduce the cardio.

I need to find some time this weekend to thinly slice/peel zucchini so I can try Gena’s recipe. Maybe I’ll get a spiralizer later on too :D

jenngirl June 8, 2009 at 10:15 am

Thank you so much for sharing about your trail experience. I definitely still struggle, and I know exactly what you mean when you say you questioned your reasons for even being there. The difference now is that we have the sense to stop it before it’s too late. Thank you again! :)

I love that you don’t waste one spread of that beautiful AB by using the jar as your bowl!! Great idea

Metta June 8, 2009 at 10:29 am

I so relate, although I do less of the exercise binge and more of the food restricting binge.

I learnded something great at a Women’s Retreat I went to a few weeks ago. If you get down on yourself for doing something you don’t like, or feeling a certain way (guilty), say to yourself, “I love myself when I feel … guilty, angry, frustrated, ect.” and keep going with that until you can really feel love for yourself. I also like to add a little yogic breathing.

That has been helpful for me.

Gina June 8, 2009 at 10:29 am

That raw pasta looks awesome, Heather!! Yum.

Sarah June 8, 2009 at 10:35 am

I love your jar action! Too bad you can’t buy like 100 jars with just a little left. I forgot the Maranatha at Costco and ended up with raw crunchy from TJ’s. Mama might have a new fave!

Good for you for stopping your run midway. That takes a lot of inner strength to realize your motives and even more to share it with others!

I agree with you on the Finals. Could they stretch it out anymore? I think the next game is in September.

JB June 8, 2009 at 10:39 am

i get excited to use new bowls too! haha. sometimes little things make me the happiest. and as for those NBA playoffs, TELL ME ABOUT IT! i can’t wait for them to be over. i’m not a basketball watcher, but my stepdad is, so i feel like it’s ALWAYS on!

that raw pasta looks pretty yummy, by the way. :)

-JB

Nicole June 8, 2009 at 10:41 am

Hehe, I loved how you enjoyed your oat bran today! Great idea :)

Erin June 8, 2009 at 10:50 am

I want to have oat bran in that jar everyday. I’m out of almond butter right now. It’s tragic! Your raw pasta is delicious looking as well. Gena’s recipes are the best. Simple and yummy.
I’m so glad you shared that confession. It’s nice to know other people have problems too. You are doing so well at listening to your body though. I love hearing about it, and it makes me realize some of my own issues.

jacobc June 8, 2009 at 11:16 am

I thought a cheat day was supposed to be good!

I just took it to the extreme and turned everyday into a cheat day…ha!

I go to the gym maybe twice a week just to use their weight machines, and i overhear all the people on the ellipticals talking, and i think 99% of the people on that cardio equipment is because they “had to much pizza” last night, or ‘partied to hard’ on the weekend and trying to make it up.. and they all hate being there..

I don’t think that is necessarily a bad thing, some people just don’t have the motivation- and have to force theirself to get the cardio against their own will.. I guess that is better than staying at home stuffing theirself on chips watching TV instead of a grueling elliptical workout- and staying healthier physically—- keeping my insurance premiums lower ;-p

ok, i’m starting to ramble..

psychoj1 June 8, 2009 at 11:16 am

Love your breakfast. I have another jar that’s getting low and may be turned into a bowl as well. Hehe :) Yum! Great meal from Gena. According to all the meals she’s made and come up with, I don’t think she can make anything that doesn’t taste good! I’m loving the NBA playoffs. Although they are long…
<3 jess
xoxo

polly June 8, 2009 at 11:17 am

hi love!!
I loooove the oatmeal bowl ;) and the running story. You know we are kindred spirits, my friend.

I told Dan about your story. He and I agree that WAS ME to a tee. I would just eat a half (or whole) box of cereal each night cause I didn’t eat enough all day… then go for a crazy long run to make up for it. What WAS that about?! Or chips… or whatever. It was a vicious cycle. SO distructive and so not living, REALLY living life. How come it takes so long to grow away from that? I don’t know. I am learning and learning and giving it to Jesus each day. Thank goodness HE can handle it. XOXO

I heard something today on the radio. IF we are TRULY FREE, why not ACT like it? hmmm. so so so true. I did a grand total of maybe 8 minutes of yoga today… and walked some errands. To me THAT is truly living and I only pray that same peace of heart can happen with food, life, love, prayers, etc.

Such a delight you are, sweet Heather. XOXO

Shelby June 8, 2009 at 11:21 am

I haven’t done that “bowl” trick in a while, must get though the AB first! It’s the best when it just waiting for you at the bottom.

I wish I had more Jay Robb! Love the vanilla flavor so much =)

I’m glad you stopped yourself. That shows so much strength and I am very proud of you. You are doing such a great job hun!

Must. Make. That. Marinara!

lissa10279 June 8, 2009 at 11:32 am

As a former (and occasional) over-exerciser, when I read entries like this I smile. You did the right thing just walking. Sometimes we have to remember, we’re not lazy people who never move. We’re active. And some days we don’t feel up to it; it’s ok. It’s so hard to accept b/c it’s drilled into us that we HAVE to move every day but that’s speaking to the 90% of the population (I’m guessing) who DON’T regularly exercise. Of course they are encouraged to move. But for those of us who tend to over-exercise b/c we’ve abused food (or think we have, usually more the case for me) we don’t NEED to always do it. Sometimes just NOT feels good. I’m learning that the hard way, too!

keri410 June 8, 2009 at 11:40 am

I really want to try that whole raw pasta thing, it looks delcious!

I’m so glad you recognized the issue and caught it and stomped on it before you let it just take over and win. That’s the way we gotta do things! Catch them before they get us!

Congrats girl, you’re so strong!

Keri

elise June 8, 2009 at 11:45 am

haha, im so glad the cavs didnt make it into the finals otherwise kyle would be mia lately too…

as for the running to burn off the extra kcals. i appreciate your honesty. i cant help but do the same thing from time to time, but i rarely have the enlightening thoughts you had WHILE doing the extra cardio. isnt it sick?! i love running and being active, so why oh WHY do i feel like making it into a non-enjoyable punishment after over-indulging. i have no advice. we are all human, and the same thoughts go through my head, despite all the rational knowledge that i have otherwise.

the dinner looks great. raw can definitely be filling.

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 8, 2009 at 11:49 am

I love reading your blog because I feel like I can relate so much. When I overeat sometimes I feel like I “have” to go running (or go to the gym) to compensate. I did make sure to stay active this weekend (the weekends are always at least slightly indulgent for me) but I did not run, I just walked a lot and did lots of work around the house (including some much overdo Spring cleaning). It was twice as rewarding as if I’d gone for a sweaty hard run. :)

Elisabeth June 8, 2009 at 11:53 am

Oh, Maranatha is my favorite! YUM! I’ve been making my own, and I have to say that it’s just not the same. I’ll have to check my Costco for that big ole jar!

It’s so difficult to reprogram. Even 2.5 years post-treatment, I sometimes I still question my reasoning behind exercise and eating choices…”am I really running to train for this race, or is it just so that I don’t get fat?…am I really changing my diet for health reasons, or is it so that I don’t get fat?”

My current challenge is that I’m losing weight with all of the changes that I’ve made to my diet and my increased running mileage (race training). I’m trying NOT to be happy about losing weight. But, I’m happy. Ack. That was even hard to type.

I’m proud of you for doing the enjoyable thing and walking. If you WANTED to run, that would have been different. Way to listen to your body. Some days are harder than others, hang in there.

april June 8, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I love the idea of putting the oatbran right in the jar!

Amanda June 8, 2009 at 12:17 pm

Thanks so much for sharing this, Heather. I was honestly thinking of you the other day (funny since I don’t “know” you) and wondering how you were doing with no running and just yoga. Thankfully I love to run and it is not a form of punishment for me by any means. Running and yoga = healthy for me mentally and physically. It is when I force myself onto a machine at the gym that my mind and body are at odds. I pray I will find the same self-acceptance that you have. If you have any tips, or would do a full post on this, it would be awesome!!

amy (veganissexy) June 8, 2009 at 12:41 pm

I totally put my blueberry smoothie in my Costco almond butter jar last week! YUMMMMMMYYYY :) Your hubs is super fast btw….good lord are you sure he’s not superman :) Love the massage therapy info! That is my one indulgance a few times a year. It makes me feel like a million bucks :)

Stacy June 8, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Wow that looks delish! I’m new to the blog, just wanted to introduce myself and tell you how impressed I am at your willingness to share and be vulnerable. Thanks!

Abby June 8, 2009 at 1:02 pm

I have no genius insight, just that I can completely relate to the exercise thing (as someone recovering) and feeling like I have to either “make up” for what are essentially normal weekend habits or “earn” something extra (actually posted this myself a couple weeks ago).

It’s okay to be a human “being” and not a human “doing” sometimes. I give you credit–the pull is strong.

And your method looks like it might work better than my sophisticated method–sticking my hands into the bottom of the jar trying to get every last bit of AB. You pay that much for it, you want to get it all!

Kath June 8, 2009 at 1:06 pm

I cannot WAIT to eat up my next jar of PB and do this!!!!!!

the dainty pig June 8, 2009 at 1:35 pm

love your post, heather.
I know EXACTLY what you mean about exercising to compensate for eating! I used to be in a bad cycle like that as well, and it takes time to get over. And I still have slip ups too, where I eat too much during the day and then panic at night. It takes a lot of willpower not to launch into a ginormous run or yoga sequence, and just accept what happened, and move forward, enjoying life like Polly said!
Exercise should be to improve your quality of life, not to try and erase a little happy indulgence here and there. Great job for walking, you are an inspiration! And also, your raw meals are so inspiring. I’m going to have to try some out myself!
have a lovely lovely week!

Melissa S. June 8, 2009 at 1:45 pm

honey, i totally needed to hear such a great affirmation from such a strong person. i’ve been dealing w/ something of the same and it’s reassuring that going for that walk, instead of the forced run, is so much better for us mentally and physically.

hugs heather. only a click or call away!

Maggie June 8, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Oh, yes. I get this a lot. This is why I’m trying to stop walking on the treadmill. Because those walks always turn into runs.

Learning to trust your body takes time, but you are well on your way. The fact that you decided to walk shows that!

The raw dinner looks delicious. I love the “parm” :D

Holly June 8, 2009 at 2:35 pm

What a genius way to use up the jar! Love it.

Heather, thank you for posting this. I think SO many of us “health nuts” (for lack of a better term!) can relate. While I am much better than I used to be, I have to admit that a lot of times when I feel “too full” exercising always pops into my mind first…or restricting (food) the next day.

Although occasionally I’ll find myself at the gym and really hating every second, and so I leave. And it feels GLORIOUS. :-)

Hope you had a wonderful Monday!

Leah June 8, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Wow, Heather- great post!!
I remember time and time again I would alway try to burn the calories that I would eat. I worked out just to burn off the food I took in. Such a vicious cycle. Thank you for being honest in telling us that you still struggle, because I will be another one to admit that once in a while I still struggle too. It can be very very tough. I’m so proud of you for realizing what was happening and stopping running and deciding to walk. Enjoying exercising is something that not everyone can say that they do!!!

Mandy A June 8, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Great post, Heather!

I can definitely relate! I seem to go through phases with this… right now, it’s in full mode for me… I’ve put on 7 pounds since April… and this weekend was FULL of more “bad” eating… I had to force myself to enjoy the day after yoga rather than racing home and doing some major cardio.

I really admire that you were able to listen to your body…You are one amazing lady!

eatlivelovedream June 8, 2009 at 2:50 pm

I love your honesty Heather. I think ALOMST every women can relate to this at some point in their life or another. We are all a work in progress( myself very much included) and it is always good to look back and see how far we’ve come:)

Susan June 8, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Simple eats are the best eats!! Even when it’s raw ;)

26oz of AB in two weeks!? That’s impressive!! You and CD are pro. My mom gave me one of those big maranatha jars the last time I was home because she didn’t think she could eat it all before it went bad! :P Also, I love the bananas on the bottom idea.

Walking is so underrated. I’ve started doing looooong walks now that it’s nice out and it’s such a pleasant activity. Gets you off your bottom and you get to see things you’d usually miss running or biking. Running gets all love, too bad because there are so many other great activities out there.

Erin June 8, 2009 at 4:18 pm

Your dinner and meal in a jar look delishhhhhhhhhhhhh. :)
Everything Gena (and you!) make is brils, brils.
Lovely progress my dear. Much more loving to your body to listen to it right?

Emily June 8, 2009 at 4:58 pm

I wish I had a spiralizer! What a great raw dish!

I still have those second thoughts about exercise sometimes too! :/

glidingcalm June 8, 2009 at 5:08 pm

i love you H.

so impressed you stopped and walked. way to be a role model! seriously, you are awesome!!!

love the almond buttah oat bran.

and MORE SO love the raw pasta!! im bouts to make that tonight!!! (though I bet mine won’t be nearly as pretty as yours!!)

Alison June 8, 2009 at 6:30 pm

It’s funny – when I’m running I often think about how nice it’d be to just walk and enjoy the scenery. But once I start running it’s hard to stop. I actually want to try Jeff Galloway’s run-walk training method, but my mind just can’t stop running once I start.

Jill June 8, 2009 at 7:18 pm

CD watches NBA ?? NO WAY!!! Now that is random.

Allie June 8, 2009 at 7:20 pm

i’ve never posted a message but i read here almost everyday. this post completely made my day; inspired me, and made me believe in myself. thank you heather!!!

Samantha June 8, 2009 at 7:44 pm

I totally understand you on the …why is it so hard to accept walking as a good form of exercise? And using it after feeling guilty over indulging. This mornings’ treadmill session was MISERABLE after only having gotten a few hours sleep and going to the gym at 0645, but I kept forcing myself to go what my normal pace is despite my asthma and my dead legs!

I really need to try this marinara! Maybe tonight!

Love my green monsters but am so frustrated that my juicer won’t really whack up the leaves from the spinach or kale well. :(

bibixs June 8, 2009 at 8:01 pm

hahahha i love it when you eat your oat bran in those “bowls” hahaha

i totally get what you mean Heather, unfortunately i’m still struggling, running for an hour and a half everytime i overeat :(

Katharina June 8, 2009 at 8:36 pm

Hey Heather! What a great idea for the nut butter jar. Make every bit count :)

As for the guilt exercise, be kind to yourself. The body is a miraculous thing, and everything that goes on inside is meant to make it run efficiently. However, it also needs our help. You know that quote “my body is a temple”? Honoring our bodies (mind and soul) is important for us to be balanced, healthy, and happy. If you find yourself in a situation like that, maybe you can do something that helps you ground yourself. For instance, you can go on a scenic walk. If you like to write or take pictures, you can bring that along. Maybe find a beautiful spot and allow yourself to be inspired by everything that’s around you.

Take care!

Rose June 8, 2009 at 8:41 pm

Great idea with the jar!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on running after your Saturday. Our mind works in interesting ways. I’m glad you discovered mid-run what you were doing and why.

Danielle June 8, 2009 at 8:43 pm

I, too, am impressed that you thought about your intentions, slowed yourself down, and walked. That took a lot of courage and self-love and you should feel proud of yourself for getting to that point. Go you :)

Nicole June 8, 2009 at 9:21 pm

I love what you did with the banana at the end of the jar, so clever:)

roseyrebecca June 8, 2009 at 9:27 pm

I added you to my blogroll. Love your blog!

Hangry Pants June 8, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Just the fact that you can recognize what you were doing is a tremendous indicator of your growth and progress! And who is perfect anyway?

FoodsThatFit June 8, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Hi HEAB!

Your raw dinner, breakfast in an AB bowl and oat bran all look super yummy, as they always do. :)

I agree with everyone in that the fact that you realized why you were running, and that it wasn’t because it was something that you wanted to do, is definitely a sign that you are on the right track. I don’t think it is so much the action, as it is what we learn from those actions that really makes the difference. I think you are the best, and appreciate your honesty as it helps all of us who struggle with similar issues.

Love ya!

Abbie

yogiclarebear June 8, 2009 at 11:37 pm

awesome heather, you are so strong. walk away from the run, walk away!

i saw a guy jogging tonight and hand a twinge of jealousy. but then i came home to oats and chia and all was well.

MizFit June 9, 2009 at 4:17 am

oooh homemade pecan nut butter sounds GREAT.
Ill have that :)

and the NBA never ending?
I said the same thing to my TUNING ME OUT husband last night.

good G0D WRAP IT UP GUYS :)

Hanna M. June 9, 2009 at 8:02 am

It seems like many people have experienced the same as you (me included): Eating bad stuff/too much, then trying to get rid of it by extreme exercise…. My opinion: Run if you want to, but only because you want to and never just to burn calories! If I do that I feel like it’s more pain (i.e., stress) than gain: the body is one with the mind, and if the mind says “Nooo, this is just stressfull!”, the body will feel stressed as well. But if you feel the need for speed, I’d say it’s ok!

{ 8 trackbacks }