Oatgurt Success & A Raw Lunch Date

by HEAB on June 10, 2009

Nicole, my fermented oats did not disappoint.  Thanks so much for the recommendation!  I got home late last night (well, 9:30, but that’s late for me.) after hanging out with the girls, and decided to go ahead and put my oat yogurt in the fridge, stopping the fermentation process.  They smelled very yogurt-like, and I didn’t want them to taste too ripe, ya know?

Nervously, I took a tee-tiny bite this morning…and was pleasantly surprised.  The taste is kind of hard to describe, but I really liked it – kind of like a cross between thick creamy oatmeal and plain yogurt.  My belly was growling an hour after yesterday’s bowl, and so I added a bit more to today’s breakfast.

Avocado oatgurt with coconut butter.

Avocado oatgurt with coconut butter.

OK, this combo is going to sound crazy (surprise surprise), but I LOVED it.  I blended one cup of my oatgurt with 1/2 avocado, 2 handfuls of raw spinach, 1/2 scoop Jay Robb vanilla rice protein powder, and 1/2 cup water in the Vita-Mix.  I then topped it with a heaping spoonful of Artisana’s Raw Coconut Butter.  Creamy coconutty concoction of happiness I tell you.  There will be many more bowls of oatgurt in my future.  In fact, immediately after my delicious breakfast, I started soaking another bowl of raw oat groats.  Can’t wait for more!

Guess who came to see me before leaving on her trip tomorrow?

Justine!!!! (Miss you already my friend).

Justine!!!! (Miss you already my friend).

More importantly, look what she brought me:

CD, avert your eyes...you did not see these. :)

CD, avert your eyes...you did not see these. :)

Justine just returned from a trip to the mid-west where she went to a Whole Foods selling Artisans nut butters.  Out of the kindness of her heart, she brought me samples from her stash along with my very own jar of Raw Coconut Butter.  I used to buy this when we were staying in Colorado last summer, but they don’t sell it here in Nashville.  Thank you so much Justine!

In honor of Justine’s visit, I made us an all raw lunch:

Gena inspired lunch.

Gena inspired lunch.

So, I basically just parked my mouse on ChoosingRaw.com’s recipe page, and began clicking away. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again – I love Gena’s simple approach to raw meals!  My plate consisted of her Zucchini Marinara, Massaged Kale Salad, and Cauliflower Salad with Orange Vinaigrette. I ate that plate x’s 3.  The marinara dish and the cauliflower salad were delicious, but no matter how many ways I try raw kale, I think I will always prefer it in chip form.  Justine, thanks again for coming over yesterday…I always love my lunches with you, and I hope you have a wonderful vacation!

10 minutes after Justine left, I realized I was still hungry and made a dessert:

I totally overdid it on the bananas yesterday, but they're just so good!

I totally overdid it on the bananas yesterday, but they're just so good!

I ate my banana with the entire little jar of Amazon Bliss Coconut Butter.  One word…Wow!  To the folks at Artisana, please start selling your products in Nashville!

In closing, I’d like to share a picture I received from JacobC, one of my favorite readers:

A kabocha filled dinner.

A kabocha filled dinner.

After finding some kabocha squash at a local Asian Market, Jacob steamed half of one and served it with sugar/peanut butter/honey and cheese. In his opinion the sugar/cheese combo was not nearly as good as the sugar/pb/honey combo. So glad you tried the kabocha Jacob, and I’m totally jealous that you are now up to a 5 minute plank hold.  I’m still at 3. :)

P.S. Don’t forget to stop by Angela’s Shop 4 A Cause tomorrow.  100% of the proceeds will go to the Canadian Cancer Society, and I’m donating a double batch of my Maple Nut Oaties.  Trust me, you want these cookies in your life. :)

Cindy June 10, 2009 at 9:18 am

your avocado oatgurt :) and AND your raw salad look so so great!

I have HAVE to give this yogurt a try!
that’s all you do …soak, blend and let ferment (with some heat)

I don’t have that costco dish (even though each year we see it and we MEAN to buy it…really we do) but alas, we don’t

where do you get coconut butter???

prettyladycmu June 10, 2009 at 9:45 am

Hmm….that’s a lot of green-ness, but it sounds delicious with the coconut butter! (I’ll admit, I only taught myself to like avocados about 6 months ago, so I’m taking baby steps with them).

How does the cost of making the oatgurt seem to compare with buying other yogurts or soy-gurts? Any idea?

Thanks for a great post!

VeggieGirl June 10, 2009 at 9:47 am

Great eats, lunch date, and Artisana goodies! :-)

peanutbutterandjuli June 10, 2009 at 9:49 am

That looks delicious! The lunch- I can’t wait until I have a kitchen again (in August…) then I can make yummy crazy concoctions like you my lil crazy chef friend :)

Mara @ What's for Dinner? June 10, 2009 at 9:49 am

How cool! I wonder if I’d like the oatgurt…or even if I’d be able to make it without it turning into green furry mold. It certainly is a pretty color though! Looks like a great raw date too :)

Sarah June 10, 2009 at 9:51 am

You are getting CRAZY in that kitchen of yours!

Your oatgurt bowl is nothing surprising to me…I’ve come to expect the unexpected.

Happy Wednesday!

brandi June 10, 2009 at 9:54 am

glad the oatgurt turned out :)

glad you had a fun lunch with Justine!

Stacy June 10, 2009 at 10:01 am

Oh my god, the oat yogurt sounds incredible. I’m gonna have to give it a try soon!

Maria June 10, 2009 at 10:06 am

So glad to hear that you had success with the oatgurt. You must have the ability to make anything taste amazing :) . Greens, protein, probiotics, grains, and healthy fats, that breakfast is definitely a power house. Love it!

Bananas are sooo good aren’t they? I just rediscovered them thanks to green smoothies :D .

On my next trip to Whole Foods, I must get some of Artisan’s stuff. Looks yummy!

Hope you have a wonderful day!

Maggie June 10, 2009 at 10:10 am

Way to spread the kabocha love :)

I might be trying to make oatgurt with wheatberries today or tomorrow… my mom is going to think Im crazy. She DID agree to try green oat bran though, so maybe she won’t be too weirded out.

Justine is a sweetie! I love the lunch you made.

ksgoodeats June 10, 2009 at 10:20 am

I’m pretty intrigued by your oatgurt! It sounds really good, creamy oatmeal and plain yogurt?!

Hooray for a lunch date with awesome goodies!! I’ve never tried Artisana but after hearing how wonderful it is, I’m thinking I should pick it up.

Have a great Wednesday :)

Melissa S. June 10, 2009 at 10:27 am

so lucky to have such a great blogger friend! and for her to bring you such wonderful goodies!

Steph Runs the CIty June 10, 2009 at 10:27 am

coconut butter sounds delicious – another log to fuel the fire of my nut butter addiction. although are coconuts really nuts, or fruit?!

Erin June 10, 2009 at 10:39 am

I have a huge stash of oat groats, so I must try oatgurt. I used to go through yogurt like crazy, but since realizing my belly is happier without it, I miss my tangy friend.
I think your green bowl looks yummy, but I have a love for just about everythinig in there. And bananas too! Its easy for me to overdo them. They are my very favorite fruit and never hurt my tum. Yummmy things.
Gena’s recipes are amazing! I love that they are all simple and delicious.
I hope your shoulder is feeling better!

Yasmin June 10, 2009 at 10:46 am

Avocado in oatmeal?! Now that’s intriguing…

JB June 10, 2009 at 11:00 am

the color of your breakfast is so pretty. i love it! and your friend justine is one great friend! even though they sell them where i live, i want someone to give ME artisana products! i’ve only tried cacao bliss, but i can’t wait to try some of their other products. the coconut butter looks great!

-JB

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) June 10, 2009 at 11:00 am

Um, that oatgurt breakfast doesn’t sound weird to me at ALL! In fact, I would so dig trying that. Am I brave enough to ferment my own oats? The eternal question…

Score on the Artisana goodies! Too bad Justine won’t be around to enjoy them with you. :(

Cecilia June 10, 2009 at 11:14 am

Dear Heather Pie, wow I’m so interested in trying out the oatgurt recipe!! Do you think I can use steel cut oats? Is that raw? and could you please (if possible)provide a nutrional breakdown for these – ie a chart? THANKS in advance and sorry to be a pain :D

Angela (Oh She Glows) June 10, 2009 at 11:16 am

Oh my gosh this is so up my alley!!! Thanks so much for the great idea!

Lara (Thinspired) June 10, 2009 at 11:20 am

OATGURT?! Heather my friend, your creativity in the kitchen has reached new heights. I *think* I would really like this! I bet the avocado makes it super creamy and I see the potential to go either savory or sweet….or both.

Susan June 10, 2009 at 11:27 am

A 5 minute plank? That’s nuts! I’m still at 2 minutes. Two minutes and a slew of profanity :P

That lunch looks a-mazing.

Shelby June 10, 2009 at 11:27 am

Crazy Coconut Lady! haha

I fell in love with that coconut butter too! It was so amazing, I have to order more!

Love all the raw eats =) YUM!

Gena (Choosing Raw) June 10, 2009 at 1:10 pm

Aw, Heather!! As usual, I am thrilled that you like a CR recipe! (not as good an acronym as KERF, but it’ll do). Enjoy your day, my dear! All looks delicious.

xo

Gena (Choosing Raw) June 10, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Oh! And I just posted a salad I think you’ll like :)

polly June 10, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Gena and her recipes ROCK.

HEABS is ROCKIN everyday with her creations and sweetness and Justine is so blessed with such a beautiful lunch and friend! :)

Yay for Oaties!! Everybody bid on them tomorrow!

okay lovie, time to make more almond butter. We head to TJ’s on Friday… I hope my food processor doesn’t blow a fuse before. :)

PS… my lunch today was HEABS worthy. Not a Polly meal fo-sure. :P

Anonymous June 10, 2009 at 1:34 pm

I have to say of all the blogs I read, yours has the strangest combinations! I was ok with the spinach in your oats, but this one just seriously turned my stomach.

Gross.

Emma June 10, 2009 at 1:45 pm

The oatgurt sounds amazing. I wish I could get a heat dish. I’d love to try it!

JENNA June 10, 2009 at 1:48 pm

yum those artisana goodies look devine! I love your raw salad, its so colorful.

kim June 10, 2009 at 2:38 pm

i love avocado with salad. Nowadays, I request that instead of cheese in the restaurants.

jane June 10, 2009 at 2:58 pm

just wanted to let you know i linked to your page in my last post– i was talking about weird food combos and, well, you aren’t surprised i mentioned you, right? it’s in the nicest way possible, i think it’s so cool how you combine foods and find some awesome new recipes/ideas! I’ve yet to try the spinach oats but don’t worry some day i will :)

coco June 10, 2009 at 4:01 pm

such a genius creation!!! oatyogurt!!! soooo cool!!
can you give a detail description of how you made it? as how long did you let it ferment?

Emily June 10, 2009 at 5:13 pm

Oat groats are on the grocery list.

The lunch looks amazing too!

Gina June 10, 2009 at 6:53 pm

Your oatgurt looks awesome Heather!! The bowl sounds a little strange, but also really good at the same time. I love having something green for breakfast…although…my breakfast the past two days has been baked tofu, which was strange. All of a sudden it was just exactly what I wanted.

Tangent, sorry. I hope you are having a fabulous week!!

traveleatlove June 10, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I have never tried coconut butter, but would like to! The consistency looks kind of weird in photos, so maybe I will have to hunt some down myself!

snackface June 10, 2009 at 9:11 pm

HEATHER!!! I am currently eating roasted kabocha with crunchy almond butter. All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you! SO delicious! The textures work beautifully together, and the flavors are divine!

Alison June 10, 2009 at 9:28 pm

Glad your oatgurt went well. What a cool idea!
Love the massaged kale salad. I tried it last night and really enjoyed it. The leftovers for lunch today were just as good.

Shannon June 10, 2009 at 9:38 pm

your raw meal looks DIVINE. <3

Brooke June 10, 2009 at 9:45 pm

I need help with this one. Can you use rolled oats or steel cut oats? And is the container a special container or will any glass jar do? Sorry, this is all new to me, but your creations look so creamy and delicious

glidingcalm June 11, 2009 at 10:35 pm

oooooo. i love coming to the HEAB blog. soo many new ideas and fun (not to mention tasty) experiments!!! that raw meal looks SO GOOD… i need to start making some of those recipes.

HAPPY FRIDAY BEAUTIFUL ONE!!!

Juanita June 12, 2009 at 8:44 pm

I am so excited about this oatgurt! I bought a packet of groats last night and they are now fermenting. Awesome! Thank you for sharing this great info Heather….

justine June 18, 2009 at 7:14 am

Hahahaha!!!! You ate dessert after I left?? hahahaha!! I love you!

~Justine

Marissa June 26, 2009 at 11:51 am

I have wanted to like Kabocha, but for some reason each time I try it it seems a bit too fibrous. Am I just getting old squash? :-D

{ 2 trackbacks }