Nature's Butter

by HEAB on June 11, 2009

Oh good, you’re back. I was afraid I might have scared you away with my oatgurt yesterday. :)

Yoga update: Last week, I realized I kind of overdid it with one too many 90 minute Vinyasa classes.  With all those Chaturangas and massage work I do, my left shoulder got a little bit out of whack.  On Sunday, I went to a Back to Basics yoga class with one of my readers (& now friend), Mandy.  I’m really hoping to learn proper alignment for the poses as I know I’m simply not doing some of them correctly. This class was part of a 6 week series, and I can’t wait for this Sunday’s hip opener class!  Other than that, I have done very little yoga this week – just lots of walking. Yesterday, it was raining when I wanted to go for a walk, and so I did some Tabata intervals on our stationary bike instead.  It’s been months since I’ve done this workout…it kicked my arse, but felt really good.  In my mind, it’s the ideal cardio - short and intense.

This morning, I was craving toast. So, that’s what I ate.

You knew I'd make it green somehow. :)

Who needs butter?

My condiments of choice for my Ezekiel sprouted grain bread were 1 mashed avocado and 1/2 a large banana.  Love this combo, and I dare you to try it. :)

A big thank you to Amelia over at Highways to Health for sending me the most thoughtful assortment of goods after we both completed Bobbi’s Simple Life Challenge.

A very Heather friendly package.

All very Heather friendly. :)

Raw coconut macaroons (all gone in less than 24 hours…oops), peppermint soap, a reusable shopping bag, and some raw crackers from One Lucky Duck. Seriously Amelia, you could not have sent a more perfect package.  Thanks again my friend!

Please make sure to stop by Angela’s Shop 4 A Cause today. 100% of the proceeds from her online auction will go to the Canadian Cancer Society. Don’t miss out as there are some great items for sale including a double batch of my Maple Nut Oaties.

A happy Thursday to you all!

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) June 11, 2009 at 8:01 am

Oooh what a creative breakfast. LOVE it!! But love you more!!! Hope your shoulder feels better…that can happen!

Love all the goodies you got too. Glad they were delish. Have a great day, Heather!

prettyladycmu June 11, 2009 at 8:10 am

Such a cool breakfast!!

Erin June 11, 2009 at 8:11 am

I think you’re the only person to truly share my love of gooey greens! I used to eat mashed avocado on toast every day last summer. I had forgotten how much I loved it. I never thought of adding banana, but I can only imagine combining that many of my loves on toast would make me happy.
I’m glad you’re taking time to heal. I think I’m finally *starting* to realize I don’t have to do the same crazy long combo of exercises every day to stay in shape. Sigh.

Erica June 11, 2009 at 8:12 am

haha- you’d have to start eating some real funky food to scare me away ;) Your breakfast looks awesome! Josh’s siter and I were just talking about how much we love avocado! mmmm I wish I had some for lunch today! What a sweet gift you got! Enjoy it

Nicole June 11, 2009 at 8:13 am

I bet the PB and Avocado pairing is amazing!! Mmmmmmm, maybe for lunch for me?

brandi June 11, 2009 at 8:14 am

Okay, I promise to try the avocado/banana combo soon. it looks so good!

VeggieGirl June 11, 2009 at 8:23 am

Ahh hope your shoulder feels better!! :-(

One Lucky Duck snacks = heaven.

Mandy A June 11, 2009 at 8:24 am

Ohhhhh this looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I miss avocado :(

Hey, I don’t know if you live near a Publix… but they have all food for life breads, english muffins and tortillas on sale for $3.99!! I snagged some up yesterday!!!! :)

See you Sunday!

Emily June 11, 2009 at 8:26 am

I’ve never tried the avocado + sweet combo before, although now it totally makes sense in my head. I always get such good ideas from your blog :)

polly June 11, 2009 at 8:27 am

oooooooooooooooooooh HEABS what a breakfast! I am totally trying that in the very near future. ;)

Love you so much, and hope you feel healthy and healed very very soon. :( Makes me sad to think you are hurt in ANY way, my peach!

Have a fun day, it’s raining cats and dogs here… so it was a perfect day for YOGA and a little volleyball for my mini muffin. D comes home (at last!) from his trip today so us girlies are so excited to have him back in Indiana.

Love you gobs and gobs. Off to make a green smoothie now. mmmm.

oh!! We got the pic from the concert with Taylor! I’ll post it very soon…

I am thankful for…………. Heather. :P

carolinebee June 11, 2009 at 8:40 am

Your scary concoctions keep me coming back :D I’m v. surprised not to see a drizz of AB on that avocado/banana toast!? Although it’s not as pretty or easy to cram two pieces of toast into a jar….

Cindy June 11, 2009 at 8:52 am

Avocado goes great with everything!
and I have had that before! You just keep at it GIRL you are inspiring!

gina (fitnessista) June 11, 2009 at 9:21 am

your bfasts always amaze me :D
what a great package! i loooove the crackers from one lucky duck. it’s my new mission to figure out how to make some at home ;)
have a wonderful day!

amy (veganissexy) June 11, 2009 at 9:26 am

Oooh avocado and banana! What a great idea. I bet it would be good with some interesting spices like cinnamin and chili powder…kind of funk it up :) I’m loving nature’s “butter!”

Stacy June 11, 2009 at 9:30 am

Love the avo-banana combo, its totally one of my favorites too. I love them all mashed together with a little almond butter and cocoa powder for dessert.

Maria June 11, 2009 at 9:37 am

Heather, your breakfast looks so pretty, and delicious too. Must try this new interesting combination that you have come up with :) . Such a creative lady!

How hard are those Tabata intervals? They seem quite intense if you’re going all out for merely seconds. Glad to hear you are listening to your body!

Have a great Thursday, friend!

Shelby June 11, 2009 at 10:01 am

I’m glad you are learning proper alignment. I always find myself slowing down in yoga because I want to make sure I’m doing it right.

I have that ezekiel & avocado combo on my meal plan this week! I’m so excited to try it. I love avocado. Too bad I can’t have banana though.

Can you only make oatgurt with oat groats? I remember you making some kind of fermented oats before with rolled oats but I can’t find the post.

Tanya June 11, 2009 at 10:11 am

I must say Raw Macaroons taste delicious!

elise June 11, 2009 at 10:14 am

avocado goes with any AND every thing…LOVE it!

ps your comment on my last post really sent my ego through the roof. haha.

i can always rely on you to show kyle as proof that there are people out there who eat things just as weird as i do (or weirder)…so thanks for that, too!

Holly June 11, 2009 at 10:32 am

Oh, my! Bananas and avocados? I DO love both. I haven’t had a ‘cado in so long…it’s going on my grocery list.

Thanks so much for the tabata link! I’ve never heard of it. It sounds intense!!

JB June 11, 2009 at 10:39 am

oh my god, i bought a package of raw coconut macaroons at my local co-op a while back, and they were the most heavenly tasting little things on the planet. so i completely understand why that bag was gone within 24 hours!
to rewind to your breakfast, even though i’ve seen avocado and banana paired together many times, i’ve never tried it! that sounds like some great tasting toast! i bet avocado and banana would be really great together in a wrap.

and happy thursday to you too. your blog never fails to be interesting!

-JB

Meredith June 11, 2009 at 10:43 am

Interesting combo. I will definitely give it a try sometime :)

ksgoodeats June 11, 2009 at 10:48 am

Raw coconut macaroons wouldn’t last long here either! I love how your toast is still a HEAB creation ;) You never disappoint in the creative eats!!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 11, 2009 at 10:51 am

Is that avocado and banana on toast?? I thought I was the only one who used avocado as a do-all condiment!!! *running over to bid on oaties!*

Ellen (Peace in Motion) June 11, 2009 at 10:59 am

Mmmm what a yummy breakfast.

Hope the shoulder feels better soon!

Kori (All Things B.) June 11, 2009 at 11:46 am

Oh my- I can’t believe I’ve never thought to have avocado and banana together! I’d have to agree with the short and intense cardio sessions. I just don’t have the focus to do one thing for a long drawn out time period- save for yoga. Good luck with the shoulder!

Shameless plug alert! I’m having an Amazing Grass Giveaway if anyone wants to try out two of their most popular full size products- Green SuperFood and Wheat Grass Powder, then stop on by and enter!

trish (girlatgym) June 11, 2009 at 12:32 pm

I love Ezekial bread! I used some today to make French toast. YUM!

sweetkaroline June 11, 2009 at 2:09 pm

ooh take care of that shoulder! back to basics yoga sounds awesome. i think we can always be working on form in all the yoga poses, even the most seemingly easy poses.

raw macaroons sound fantastic!

i’ll have to take your word for the smashed avo and banana combo…my taste buds are a little more wary than yours i think!

psychoj1 June 11, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Hope you’re shoulder feels better! I just might try avocado on toast with banana. You dared me after all ;)
<3 jess
xoxo

Katrina (gluten free gidget) June 11, 2009 at 2:47 pm

I ain’t skeered of nuthin’! :-) I kind of want to try that crazy concoction. I’ll work my way up to it. The only problem is I don’t think I can get gluten free oat grouts. Do you think it could work with rolled oats? Now, avacado and banana? That is a crazy combination! You are fearless and I LOVE it!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) June 11, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Yep, avo’s on deck for dinner tonight. And breakfast tomorrow. You have confirmed it.

I walked past One Lucky Duck yesterday and totally drooled. Hmm, how to get amelia to send me a package…? Well anyway, if you’re in the mood for a chuckle, I wrote a list of reasons why “you might be a health blogger.” Har har. :)

runeatrepeat June 11, 2009 at 4:11 pm

I’m not taking you up on the dare, but I love how colorful your toast was :)

Danielle June 11, 2009 at 4:33 pm

Avocado is a spectacular bread-topper! My Chilean host mom used to have it all the time for breakfast in the warm weather :)

Emily June 11, 2009 at 5:04 pm

Hope your shoulder feels better soon! I always wonder if I’m doing the yoga poses with proper form because I don’t practice in front of a mirror.

Avocado + banana sounds heavenly. If my mom will get avocados when I go home, I’ll definitely try it! :-)

Amelia June 11, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Once again, I’m sooo glad to hear you enjoyed the goodies! I really had a fun time putting together the package for ya!

Avocado and banana huh? I will have to see about that one! :)

traveleatlove June 11, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Avocado and banana . . . I have both. I may have to try it! Sounds sweet and creamy.

CurlyTop June 11, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Brilliant! Avacado and banana is awesome.

Thanks Heather!

With Love,

Emily

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) June 11, 2009 at 8:32 pm

That looks awesome! I absolutely love avocado on toast but have *never* tried it with banana. I think I might have to try that one of these times. :D

Gena (Choosing Raw) June 11, 2009 at 8:54 pm

I know for a fact that those macaroons are glorious! Enjoy :-)

Andrea@WellnessNotes June 11, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Avocado and banana? Wow. I would have never considered this combo. I love anything with avocado, so I’ll have to try it!

I hope your shoulder feels better soon! Have a great weekend! :)

Hangry Pants June 11, 2009 at 9:41 pm

It takes a lot more than that to scare me away!

I bet the banana avacado thing is awesome! Something else I like with bananas is sweet potatoes!

Maggie June 11, 2009 at 9:47 pm

That bread is great. So flavorful :)

Avo + banana sounds good. I trust your avocado mixtures. (I tried the chocolatey one a while back – yummo.)

Alison June 11, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Your breakfast looks very colorful. You could make a rainbow breakfast with strawberry and blueberry jam and pumpkin.

broccolihut June 11, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Ya know, I wonder if avocado and banana would taste good as one, creamy, sweet paste? I might just have to try it now!

Erin June 11, 2009 at 11:03 pm

That’s pretty cool actually!
I like it!
Might even try it!

FoodsThatFit June 12, 2009 at 4:52 am

I started doing Tabata intervals a couple of months ago after you introduced them to me, and wow, they NEVER get easier! Kicks my bootay every time, but in a good way!

I never would have thought to combine avocado and banana, but I can see how they would be a good combo.

I hope your shoulder gets feeling better! I bet you have some big guns to show for all of those Chaturangas. :)

Oooh, and Raw Macaroons, YUM! I love anything with coconut, so macaroons are one of my favorite desserts.

Anna June 12, 2009 at 7:00 am

Avocado and banana?! That actually sounds pretty good! I love all your creative combos.

Tyler June 12, 2009 at 7:05 am

I’m a big avocado and tomato fan. Can you do that for breakfast? I also like to throw in some Mozzarella for my ideal meal. Don’t know if it would work on toast though.

Megan June 12, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Love the blog!! I live in Nashville too—I have seen the PB and Co. products at The Cosmetic Market in Green Hills and recently, I found them at Kroger!!

Meganerd June 14, 2009 at 10:10 am

Avocado and banana seem like such a weird combination!

Gena (Choosing Raw) July 8, 2009 at 9:19 am

I LOVE that combo! Mashed avo on toast is a go-to recommendation for my clients who are trying to break a cream cheese habit :)

Gorgeous food as always, honey!

{ 3 trackbacks }