HEAB Is Hyper Again

by HEAB on June 12, 2009

A funny story before some bad/exciting news: This morning I rolled out of bed wearing my beloved Barefoot Dreams robe.  Because we jack up the AC at night, I love curling up in my chocolate brown hooded robe under the down comforter. I often wonder if CD thinks he cuddling up next to St. Francis of Assisi instead of his wife. Anyway, after feeding the dogs, I was sitting at the computer reading some emails, but both dogs kept trying to get in my lap.  In fact, they were going crazy. Sorry Einstein, but you’re 55 lbs – too big for me.  I finally realized I had a huge glob of peanut butter stuck in the fibers of my robe.  Oops, must have dripped it all over myself while adding some to the dog’s breakfast.  Typical Heather…I can’t tell you how many times I’ve walked around with nut butter on my clothes…or chin.  Attractive, huh?

Onto the bad/exciting news: One month with no coffee and then…

I caved.

I caved.

I felt so guilty drinking this knowing I would post about it, but honestly, I missed my coffee with cream.  Yes, I was sleeping better without my morning mug, but I was sleeping all the time.  I missed the little boost that coffee gives me, but more importantly, I missed drinking it with CD in the mornings.  Coffee is a part of our marriage, something we’ve always done together, and I wanted that back.  I’m not sure if I’ll drink it everyday, and I will only have it in the mornings if I do.  Yes, I use cream in my coffee, but there is no other dairy in my life.  So, I’m not going to make a big deal about it, and besides,  after trying every dairy alternative, I keep coming back to cream with french vanilla stevia drops.  So, there you have it. I’m back on the juice, and I won’t lie…I was super excited to get out of bed and switch the coffee-pot on this morning.

Breakfast was so good after another session of Tabata Intervals on the bike (caffeine makes cardio much better…it really does).

Carbs, Fat, Protein...check.

Carbs, Fat, Protein...check.

My huge green smoothie consisted of 2 cups water, 1 scoop of Jay Robb’s chocolate rice protein powder, 2 cups spinach, 1/2 avocado, and ice. With it, I had 2 of the cutest little sweet potatoes from Trader Joe’s, and following Homegirl Can Eat’s advice, I topped them with miso paste.  For all you salty/sweet lovers out there, this was a great combo.  Hopefully, it will keep me going as I have back-to-back clients all morning and won’t get to eat lunch until about 2 PM today.

Oh, and I must share a lovely surprise that showed up in my mailbox from one of the most hilarious bloggers out there, Diana over at Soap & Chocolate.

Our Mighty Maple has been replenished.

Our Mighty Maple has been replenished.

Sweet Diana knows how much CD and I love our PB & Co. Mighty Maple, and it is not easy to find here in Nashville.  Diana lives in NYC and stopped by the PB & Co. restaurant to pick me up some PB, a menu (great sandwiches!), and my very own peanut plant seeds. Diana, thank you so much!

CD’s Random Comment Of The Day:

Mmmph, mumph, bummmph….What?!?  CD, I cannot understand a word you’re saying with all that Mighty Maple in your mouth. :)

JENNA June 12, 2009 at 8:47 am

I love your ‘cup’ for you green smoothie!! :) lol Do you like Jay Robbs rice protien powder? Does it have a chalk-y taste to it? I’ve seen it in stores but always hesitate b/c I usually don’t like protien powders. Your box of goodies looks fun!

happyvegetables June 12, 2009 at 8:52 am

What a fun box of treats! I’ve never seen Mighty Maple around here. Are you going to plant the seeds? Fun!

AlliJag June 12, 2009 at 9:17 am

That blogger package is AWESOME!

Danielle June 12, 2009 at 9:19 am

Sometimes we just need to treat ourselves to things that make us happy… enjoy your coffee Heather :) without any guilt. Ditto to the lovely box of goodies too!

carolinebee June 12, 2009 at 9:19 am

love love your mason jar :D Does the 2 cups of water make a difference in the smoothie? Just wondering i usually add a like 1/2 c almond milk, 1/2 water!

brandi June 12, 2009 at 9:21 am

ahhhh—-mighty maple! I can’t find it here either. love cd’s comment about it :)

and coffee is a thing to enjoy – Nick and I have it together on the weekends and sometimes during the week and we love it. Especially since we’ve started buying fresh roasted, grinding it ourselves and using our monster french press. I’m not going to feel bad about liking it ;)

prettyladycmu June 12, 2009 at 9:23 am

Mmmm those treats look delicious! What a sweet gift!

Hey, as long as you enjoy your coffee, I don’t see anything wrong with it! I know what you mean about it being part of your marriage. Sebastian and I go out of diner breakfast almost every Sunday and I think he would be absolutely devestated if I suddenly stopped wanting to go. We always order too much, drink coffee and tea, and go home with happy bellies and warm hearts. That’s what really makes life worth living – especially since you make such good, healthy decisions all the rest of the time!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) June 12, 2009 at 9:27 am

YAY so glad you guys are enjoying the petite giftie. I’m right there with you on the coffee. I drink but one cup a day and other than that it’s plain green tea, but the coffee has ritual attached to it, plus over the years I’ve had some of the best conversations over coffee, so I hear you with the associations. You won’t die from coffee with cream. Exploding Vitamix? Now there’s something to worry about.

Tracy June 12, 2009 at 9:28 am

Heather,

You eat like mee sista!

I drink my green smoothies from glass jars too! No plastic here! I lug the glass jars back in forth home, work and back!

Have a great weekend!

xoxo,

Mee

Erica June 12, 2009 at 9:30 am

No judgement from over here! I love the juice! It is so comforting to enjoy a cup. I’m all for it! Another great package- I’m totally jealous!

mariposagirl June 12, 2009 at 9:33 am

I sooooo hear you about the coffee being a ritual in your marriage. I keep trying to get off the stuff but I feel like I’ve cut from the club!

AND I also am off dairy, and NEVER thougth I could consume my CAF without it.

I DID switch to almond milk and have found it is growing on me! so I have no guilt over THAT

I used to drink coffee for the “coconut coffeemate creamer” the coffee was just an excuse to glug that stuff… I am over it! ugh!

Happy Friday

Courtney (The Hungry Yogini) June 12, 2009 at 9:35 am

COFFEEE!!!!!!! Yahhhh, glad your back on the good stuff =) Welcome back to the dark side!

Hope your day is wonderful!

Heather Ezell June 12, 2009 at 9:36 am

I’ve tried cutting out coffee four different times the past year – once going for over two months without it! But… I just can’t desert my morning mug. I’ve realized that coffee is kind of a part of who I am and my family. One of my favorite parts of the day is waking up early in the morning and sipping my black coffee while editing whatever I wrote the previous day.

There’s something about coffee (from my perspective) that’s beyond comforting. It symbolized the start of a new day, hope in what’s ahead…

I’ve come to the conclusion that I will always be a coffee drinker, just hopefully I can keep my consumption moderate. :P

jacobc June 12, 2009 at 9:38 am

*gasp*
Back on the juice..tisk, tisk..

The hot chocolate from the shoneys race must have been to tempting..”if jacob gets his hotchocolate fix everyday, then i get my coffee fix” .. ;-p

Since you have already been through the withdrawl, couldn’t you use decaf, or half decaf? I’m not a coffee person though, not sure how much different that is..
I wonder if there is de-caf hot chocolate?.. hmm..

That makes me wonder, i bet coffee would be good with some hotchocolate mix with it..

Got to go back and stock up on kobacha this weekend!! My favorite sweet potatoe has now been knocked down to #2 on the most liked veggie chart!

I saw last night on the news that the restaurant you recommended (calipso cafe) had the highest inspection score in nashville-96.. I’m going to have to check it out soon!

You two (and of course the pups) have a great weekend!

sweetkaroline June 12, 2009 at 9:44 am

coffee is yummy and a good source of antioxidants. everything in moderation!

lol on the nut butter on the robe…my dog would be following me around nonstop until every last bit was licked off

Maria June 12, 2009 at 9:46 am

I don’t think you would be the dear Heather we love without all that PB stuck on your clothes and face.

If coffee brings you happiness Heather, I think it is well worth it. Enjoy it with your dear CD :D . Although it seems he may be a little too busy finishing up all that PB…

Celia June 12, 2009 at 9:54 am

I have absolutely no problem with ya morning ‘crack’ :D One coffee + cream doesn’t make your diet less stellar than before :) Savor it with pleasure and joy instead.

On another note – oh mi gosh!! that package!!!! I would have die n gone to pb heaven if I received that package myself, OMGAAAA!!!! Nom nom worthy indeed!

janetha June 12, 2009 at 9:58 am

awe i love your dogs, even though i have never met them.

i know what you mean about coffee drinking being part of your relationship. while my boyf and i are polar opposites, we both love to enjoy a good cup of coffee! i am glad you are having your coffee AND your cream and just doing what you want to do. good on you. and cardio IS so much better with caffeine. so true.

ohhh mighty maple! i have wanted to try this for so long but i haven’t found it yet. and i can’t bring myself to paying more for shipping than for the PB itself, ha!

have a good weeeeekend!

traveleatlove June 12, 2009 at 9:59 am

Good for you for enjoying coffee and the way you like it! I want to try that interval workout on the bike. I love intense bursts of cardio!
And lol, I have to have the hub check me before I leave the house to make sure there isn’t food somewhere on me. Messy messy!

ksgoodeats June 12, 2009 at 10:02 am

Hahah! Too funny about the PB! I love cranking up the AC in the summer too – this girl likes to curl up with the covers!

I’m a bad influence but I have to say, yay to the juice! Coffee is black gold to me :) Love the marshmallow fluff mug! Great package from Diana!!

Have a great Friday, Heather!

Sarah June 12, 2009 at 10:03 am

Good morning Friar Tuck!!!

Don’t beat yourself up about the coffee/creamer. You KNOW I can relate. Have you tried almond milk? I’ve been doing that with vanilla stevia drops, and its so light on the calories that I can use almost a half a cup of it instead of a Tbsp. of creamer. Not that you should feel bad about the creamer, but this has been a good alternative for me.

Melanie June 12, 2009 at 10:04 am

Hey – sometimes you just gotta have the things you crave. What good is life without something sinful :)

Just wanted to tell you that I mentioned you twice in my blog and linked here. Because of you I’ve tried to make my own sunflower seed butter, tried oat bran and loved it, made an Oops with the oat bran and discovered oat bran cake by pure accident. The “cake” was excellent with another new find that I read here the Artisana raw coconut oil. So thanks for all that you share and all my new yummy eats.

PS – still trying to find the kabocha.

Pearl June 12, 2009 at 10:11 am

what a great package!

nieves June 12, 2009 at 10:23 am

Heather, I am shocked, SHOCKED I say! Just kidding sweetness. Sometimes a break can make you appreciate the thing more, ya know? Not to mention remind you that it is not necessary for survival. No judgment here.

I have been doing ok off the sauce, but I have gone through a ginormous carton of DandyBlend in a surprisingly short amount of time. Not the same, though.

I am sure one of these days I will have a coffee, but perhaps not in the morning. For whatever reason that no longer sounds good to me in the AM.

Honestly, I am more excited about the robe you mentioned in your post! My sweetheart has been trying to get me out of my robe for ages– I might have to subtly pass along the link. Not that I blame her; my robe is Pepto Bismol pink piled fleece with an ugly cartoon cat on the back. NOT hot. If a robe can be hot. Wtva, you get my drift.

xoxoxo

Kim June 12, 2009 at 10:26 am

sunday morning the hubbs makes whole wheat pancakes topped off with a big cup of coffee.. OYE the calories but YUM the tummy… my fav. part of the week…

Paula June 12, 2009 at 10:27 am

I am the same way with coffee! I love it and totally understand. Coffee is a big part of my marriage to. No other dairy but give me some heavy cream in a good, bold organic coffee and I’m happy! Just make it a treat. Most mornings, it’s warm water and half a lemon. ;-)

JB June 12, 2009 at 10:31 am

miso paste on sweet potatoes? that sounds like such a great idea. i can’t wait to try it!

and your marshmallow fluff mug is so cute!

-JB

Run Sarah June 12, 2009 at 10:56 am

I have to try the miso & sweet potato combo. I really don’t know if I want to give up coffee – one cup helps me focus mid-day so well.

elise June 12, 2009 at 11:02 am

i tihnk your reasons for going back to coffee are totally legit. i cant believe you made it a month without it. i could never do that, as much as i would love to try, i think kyle and i wouldnt last long without java in my system, haha.

ok, so fyi, my new blog make over kinda hit a few road bumps, and now you have to change your google reader subscription to http://www.hungryhungryhippie.com/feed to get my posts…even though my address is the same. sorry! i have no clue what went wrong, but i dont wanna lose you!

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 12, 2009 at 11:06 am

Hey Heather! I hear you on coffee, I just love drinking it, especially with good company. I have gotten to where I do it every other day and that seems to work okay.

And a little bit of creamer is not going to hurt ya, not with all the other great stuff you do for your body.

Enjoy and have a great day!

Emily June 12, 2009 at 11:13 am

Haha, laughed at your dog story. :-) Your robe sounds so comfy…at least it’s not a Snuggie, though!

I love my coffee, too. Welcome back to the club.

Hooray for more PB & Co!

jacobc June 12, 2009 at 11:22 am

OH, that reminds me.. a couple weeks ago i left work downtown and headed to the ymca when i got off to do the weight machines.. I left 2 chocolate pb balance bars in the truck to eat on the way from work to the gym.. And of course they were melted, i opened one end of the wrapper slowly and bit with my teeth trying to avoid touching my lips and getting the melted chocolate coating all over everything..and thought i did a good job!

However when i got home after the gym and saw myself in the mirror, there was chocolate all over the side of my mouth and chin.. and i talked to several people at the gym – and they said nothing..grrrrr

Gonna be new truck shopping this weekend!!!

You wouldn’t happen to know anyone who might be interested in my old truck? 2001 dodge dakota, 106,000 miles, NO mecnanical probs and looks great, automatic. And babied!! Email for pics/info!
jacobcarrigan@yahoo.com

the dainty pig June 12, 2009 at 11:34 am

what a great morning ritual—and if it is something you and CD share together, then it is best to not mess with it!! don’t feel guilty about the small pleasures you enjoy in life. If a cup of coffee with some cream in the morning, shared with your husband, is enough to bring you true joy, then relish it, and don’t worry about it. You only live once!!

and those sweet potatoes look delicious :)
have a great day heather, and an even better weekend!!

Meghann June 12, 2009 at 11:44 am

I say the hell with it and enjoy your morning coffee the way you like it :)

Maggie June 12, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Mighty Maple is delicious :) I’m working slowly through a jar.

I think that if you want your coffee with cream, you shouldn’t deprive yourself! Don’t worry about not being completely dairy free. As long as the cream doesn’t upset your tummy, go for it. You have such a wonderful clean diet that a little bit of cream won’t hurt.

Adorable mug, btw.

Veronica June 12, 2009 at 1:19 pm

I’m with you on the coffee issue! I’m trying to break my habit too but there are so many other variables that accompany the habit!! I love my morning mug. Sometimes Teechino is a good substitute.

sarah June 12, 2009 at 1:35 pm

i so relate to the coffee dilemma. for me it’s such a family thing – i love that my hubby and i get up and have a cup together – i love drinking it at my parents. i’m not sure it gives me that much of a boost, but i know that it’s a fun way for me to connect to other people. :)

Runeatrepeat June 12, 2009 at 2:43 pm

I so want to try that Mighty Maple! They never have it at WF when I go.

Emma June 12, 2009 at 3:39 pm

If caffeine is one of your only vices (from what I can see!), I think its perfectly okay. Besides – as you said, caffeine helps work outs. :)

Susan June 12, 2009 at 3:49 pm

You should not feel bad about having a little coffee and cream in the morning, when you also had spinach and a sweet potato for breakfast!!! :P You do whatever makes you happy :) I could never give up coffee, I like it too much. I’m sure one cup a day falls into the “everything in moderation” thing…

psychoj1 June 12, 2009 at 3:51 pm

What a wonderful package! I love my mighty maple, but I seem to only have found it at Walmart…Haha :)
Love your breakfast!
<3 jess

Kimberly June 12, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Hi Heather,
I just recently found your blog through Polly’s and I’m so glad I did! Your entries are fun to read:) Anyway, I was excited to see how you do your green smoothie. I LOVE green smoothies with bananas, but the jury is still out on whether I can handle bananas or not. I’m in the process of trying to identify some food sensitivities. I have tried spinach with other fruits and nothing really tasted right to me. I never thought about avocado! I LOVE avocado and I CAN eat those:)Look forward to reading more here:)

p.s.I just realized recently that I CAN’T eat almond butter or any nuts for that matter! Isn’t that depressing!

glidingcalm June 12, 2009 at 4:27 pm

i went caff free and then realized….wait what?! they ARE health benefits and antioxidants in tea and coffee….and i need it! so that only lasted about 2 weeks!!!

hilarious story about the robe!! I totally have found pb on my clothes before!!

CaSaundra June 12, 2009 at 6:29 pm

Ooo lucky girl–what a tasty treat filled package! And I am glad you caved for your coffee because why take out something that brings us joy as long as it’s not causing severe harm you know? Have an awesome weekend!

Shelby June 12, 2009 at 7:43 pm

MIGHTY MAPLE!!! YUM!!!

Sarah June 12, 2009 at 7:56 pm

hahahahhaa, it’s so perfect and fitting that you walk around covered in pb :-) yay for the pb and co package from diana, with whom i just happened to be lucky enough to have dinner tonight!

Erin June 12, 2009 at 8:25 pm

Heather dear, I’m so glad you posted this. Don’t feel guilty! Coffee and I have a very on again off again relationship. But it’s an intense one! I think I do sleep better and it’s probably better for me to go without it, but I love it. I love the taste, I love the little buzz it gives me (an my workouts!), and I love it’s social nature. I think I’m finally realizing it’s not worth giving up, I just need to strike a balance.
And I love the green goodness as always.

burpexcuzme June 12, 2009 at 8:26 pm

Really, coffee actually has a lot of health benefits! everything in moderation! And I really can’t imagine life without coffee…I’m actually really impressed you lasted that long without it!
and GORGEOUS blogger package! So cool…I’m eating the white chocolate PB one right now myself, coincidentally…

Mandy A June 12, 2009 at 9:33 pm

Jacob -

Just had to pop in and back up Heather’s recommendation to check out Calypso Cafe! It’s amazing! I am in love with the Lucayan salad… it’s amazing! Definitely give it a try :)

eatlivelovedream June 12, 2009 at 10:42 pm

Long live the coffee!!!!
I LOVED your mashed avo with banana in your last post! I will be trying it and blog about it just for you!:)

mayapamela June 13, 2009 at 4:17 am

haha peanut seeds! Adorable.

Katrina (gluten free gidget) June 13, 2009 at 6:30 am

HAHAHAHA!!! I love that your “cave” is in a Fluff mug! You are so right. Caffeine DOES make cardio better!

Alison June 13, 2009 at 7:36 am

No worries about the coffee. Of all the “vices” one can have, that’s definitely not too bad. And I bet it is better with cream.

My dog planted himself on the couch yesterday and refused to move up to the bedroom to go to bed. so I ended up carrying a large 50 pound dog all the way upstairs.

broccolihut June 13, 2009 at 10:45 am

Mighty Maple is prob my fave flavor of PB & Co….try it with pretzels!!

Hangry Pants June 13, 2009 at 8:58 pm

No big deal at all HEAB. I enjoy my cup a day as well. I can skip it, but sometimes I want the experience. Have you tried tea instead?

amy (veganissexy) June 15, 2009 at 10:34 am

You know, that is so funny! When I first told hubs that I was going vegan….cutting out this…and that….he said he would really have a hard time if I cut out coffee. It is such a part of our lives, enjoyment, happiness, and of course our daily routine. I love sitting with him at the breakfast table or on the front porch in the summers with a cup of coffee….we love stopping at funky coffee shops in different towns on vacations….we love trying new organic or eco friendly blends from our local natural food store. IT IS A PART OF OUR MARRIAGE too :) I think it’s quite “normal” to feel that way about something. I love me some coffee :)

justine June 17, 2009 at 8:52 am

Girl, seriously every post I have looked at you have gotten some kind of free stuff in mail!! You lucky *&^%$!

~Justine