A Charming Date

by HEAB on June 13, 2009

Thank you so much for all of your positive comments regarding my coffee consumption.  Polly and I were discussing eating (or drinking) what makes us happy, even if it’s not always the best choice for our bodies. I believe she summed it up best with the following statement:

A little is perfect. A lot messes us up.

So true my friends, and I say drink up if that’s what you want…just don’t drink the whole pot. :)

Chris took me out on a date last night.  I’d like the Thai Kai salad please:

Forgive the blurry cell phone picture.

Forgive the blurry cell phone picture.

Whenever people ask me what my favorite restaurants are, I always tell them I don’t like chain restaurants, with one exception…J. Alexanders.  (OK, so I love Houston’s too, but we don’t have one in Nashville anymore. :( ).  CD and I love going out to eat at J’s.  The service is impeccable, and the food never disappoints.  This salad was huge and filled with chicken, peanut sauce, and crunchy rice noodles – one of my favorite items on the menu.  They have the most amazing veggie burger as well, but I was in the mood for some meat. Yum!

After dinner, I was so happy to find the cutest charm ever made sitting in my mailbox.

Look, it's a jar of peanut butter love.

Look, it's a jar of peanut butter love.

Mara of What’s For Dinner is selling these on her blog, and I was lucky enough to win one. Her dad makes them, and you can click here to order one for yourself. Thank you so much Mara.  I love it.  See…

My "charmed" fresh out of the shower look. :)

My "charmed" fresh out of the shower look. :)

A quick breakfast before leaving for work this morning:

One of the best breakfasts I've had in a while!

One of the best breakfasts I've had in a while!

Using HEAB’s favorite bowl, I had a banana, oatgurt mixed with Jay Robb’s vanilla rice protein powder, and the last of my homemade pecan nut butter was waiting for me at the bottom…love saving the best for last.

Have you tried oatgurt yet?  What are you waiting for?

Happy weekend!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 13, 2009 at 7:24 am

Oh I’m SO glad you love the charm! It looks great on you!! Then again, you could probably wear a burlap sack and look fab :)

Kimberly June 13, 2009 at 7:31 am

I just had a green smoothie w/ avocado(instead of the usual banana). It was SO thick and creamy and yummy. Thanks for the idea:) I also used some coconut milk. Yum!

Your dinner out looks fabulous!

polly June 13, 2009 at 7:43 am

hi my Heabs peach!

I got a double dose of you today, as in a wonderfully SWEET email and this amazing post! I think we DID sum it up well… except too much almond butter is a beautiful thing. ;)

You are darn CUTE in that necklace!!!

We are back and VERY sleepy today. Pol going to bed at 12:45am is craaaazy late! I was so pumped to eat a massive bowl of TJs oatbran with naner today. Simple yum to fill my tum. I was starved all day yesterday, as traveling is so hard to get enough to eat for my picky self! Today will be a “make up day” in the eats department! :P

Hugs to CD and the pups and YOU my sweet friend. XOXO

psychoj1 June 13, 2009 at 7:44 am

That charm is super cute! Great dinner–the salad looks fantastic!
Loving your breakfast!
<3 jess
xoxo

prettyladycmu June 13, 2009 at 7:59 am

I love that you eat your breakfast in a mason jar! I love to drink water and ice tea (and mint juleps!) from them, but haven’t tried a MJ meal – I think it’s about time!

Have a great day :)

ksgoodeats June 13, 2009 at 8:00 am

You’re so pretty!! Love the new charm necklace – how appropriate!

I can’t stand chains either but I haven’t had J’s. Maybe one of these days I’ll give it a shot (especially if their veggie burgers are good)!

Enjoy your weekend :)

Anna June 13, 2009 at 8:01 am

That necklace is adorable! As far as post-shower self portraits go, yours is pretty damn cute. Don’t worry, I plan on trying the oatgurt soon!

Leah June 13, 2009 at 8:03 am

Good for you for being true to yourself. Thats what will make you happy in life, not giving up things that you enjoy.

Lovely date night! Your breakfast looks fab.

Lacey June 13, 2009 at 8:06 am

That salad looks lush

zestycook June 13, 2009 at 8:18 am

The charm looks great Heather. Breakfast looks superb!

Andrea@WellnessNotes June 13, 2009 at 8:38 am

I like the idea of consuming a little of what makes us happy but to remember not to go overboard. (I drink too much coffee, so I really need to remember just to have a little. I think it’s a much better plan than to have none at all, which just seems not realistic.) Your salad looks great. Have a great weekend! :)

Maria June 13, 2009 at 8:45 am

Polly has it exactly right–we can’t be perfect, just be the best we can be :D . Coffee in moderation is great!

That salad sounds really yummy, glad you and CD enjoy that place so much.

The charm looks lovely on you! I love how you eat from the jar, Heather. Have a great weekend!

Gena (Choosing Raw) June 13, 2009 at 9:20 am

Guess what, Heather? I still sip coffee on occasion. No, I rarely drink a whole cup, but I will not tell a lie: there are certain days when I miss it and when tea won’t cut it. It’s not great for me and I try to do it as little as possible, but I don’t feel oh-so-bad about it! No one’s perfect :) Enjoy your bit of coffee with your cream. xo

ttfn300 June 13, 2009 at 9:35 am

cute charm! and polly’s words of wisdom are absolutely correct! dinner looks great :) but i’m drooling over your breakfast…

Shelby June 13, 2009 at 9:41 am

I think its great that you are indulging in what makes you happy! No one should tell you what you can and cannot drink or eat. Do what makes you happy! At least your not drinking 15+ cups a day like my gramma. She is crazy! haha

That charm is freaking adorable! Just perfect for you =)

Oatgurt is on my list of what “to-make”! I can’t wait to try it

JB June 13, 2009 at 11:30 am

whenever i put nut butter in my oatmeal, i always save most of it for the end! i’m a “best for last” person too. :)

-JB

Emily June 13, 2009 at 12:38 pm

Amen to Polly! I don’t think you should ever feel deprived of something. If you’re eating well and you still really want a cup of coffee, or a cookie, or whatever, it’s okay to go for it.

Oatgurt is on my “to try” list, just after I get some groceries.

Have a great weekend!

brandi June 13, 2009 at 1:07 pm

great advice – i’m not giving up good coffee for anything :)

it’s only right that you have a jar of nut butter around your neck, especially since it’s in your name, HEAB.

enjoy your weekend! (I’m saving one of my ab jars to use as a “bowl” soon) :)

Lesa June 13, 2009 at 1:29 pm

I found your blog accidently this morning (while sipping coffee and getting ready to go for a run!). You’ve inspired me! While I have exercised for years, my eating habits have consisted of eating “healthy” for a few weeks, only to return to my diet – which consists of too much sugar. I go through spurts of feeling so tired and lack energy that I know if related to my diet. I spent an hour looking through your blog and recipes, only to return after my run to read more. I see a trip to Costco and Trader Joes in my weekend plans. Thanks for the inspiration.

FYI – I shared your blog with some other local runners this morning, they loved it too!

Sarah June 13, 2009 at 2:46 pm

How about if I send you some almond butter, and you send the jars back with only a few bites left. I can’t wait! Is it wrong to move it to a separate container. Gosh, I could do that multiple times and always have an almost empty container to eat out of. This is wrong. Make it stop.

People who wear flogger charms in tank tops are HOT. At least you got a shower…I’m off to take mine (a collective AMEN can be heard).

Erica June 13, 2009 at 3:07 pm

That salad looks awesome Heather! Glad you two had a nice date night ;) That PB jar necklace is so cute. I want one!!

glidingcalm June 13, 2009 at 3:33 pm

yay for Mara’s necklaces!! I have the computer one!! :)

hmmmmmmmm thai kai salad sound sooo good!! thai/vietnamese/japanese is AMAZING summer food!! so fresssssssssh!

HAPPY SATURDAY LOVEY

bakersblurbs June 13, 2009 at 7:48 pm

After seeing you and Kath try the “Almond Butter Bowl” I might just have to test it out for myself. I need to make a run to TJ’s to buy some new, but I have a couple ‘almost gone’ jars to use up first!

Shannon, The Healthy Beach Bum June 13, 2009 at 8:04 pm

That charm is adorable :) And I love how you have your breakfasts… pb style! <3 hope you have a great Sunday!

trish (girlatgym) June 13, 2009 at 8:21 pm

So true – we can never be totally perfect.

elise June 13, 2009 at 9:48 pm

polly is so wise. i agree whole-heartedly.

mmm, those crunchy things in salads are goooood.

i can only imagine the amazing oatgurty things youd do with amazing grass…get some!!

Katrina (gluten free gidget) June 14, 2009 at 5:56 am

YAY for date night! …that’s all I’ve got… nothing witty or insightful from The Gidget this AM… :-)

Tina June 14, 2009 at 8:36 am

I looove how you put your breakfast in the nut butter jar!

Becky June 14, 2009 at 8:41 am

You are so pretty with your necklace on! Life is too short to feel guilty about drinking a little coffee right? Right.

Just wanted you to know that your blog is the first “foodie blog” I came across and started reading and made me realize that counting cals. and eating fake stuff isn’t good for me. Before I would have felt guilty about eating too much pb or ab or even crazy enough to think a banana had too many carbs! Ridiculous huh. Or to think that running was the best exercise, even if dreading it, and had to be long enough to burn the # of cals. I wanted. Now I feel that I have a handle on eating real, whole foods and I follow bloggers who do the same. I love your food philosophy and just wanted to let you know that you are inspiring and have a great blog! Have a great Sunday :)

Melissa S. June 14, 2009 at 1:19 pm

loving the charm! i’m getting mine soon too!!!

meg June 14, 2009 at 6:38 pm

Cute charm! Lucky you winning it!

Oatgurt? I definitely have to look into that!

traveleatlove June 14, 2009 at 6:45 pm

I am very curious to try oatgurt! Just need to find the time!

Holly June 14, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Heather, no judging whatsoever on the coffee! I LOVE how Polly put it. And really, if something makes me happy – like abnormally, crazy happy (eeeek Diet Coke from McD’s….sigh), life is just too darn short…ya know? (and at least you’re drinking something more pure than my liquid crack!)

I know exactly what you mean about restaurants…I try to avoid chains, but there are always exceptions to that rule. I wish we had a J. Alexander’s! We might get one in….ten years or so. :-)

Adi (oatonomy.com) June 14, 2009 at 8:15 pm

I’d agree with Polly! I did a longer post a couple weeks ago on some confessions of a food blogger… my biggest of which is that I love the white powder. Coffee might be your weakness, artificial sweetener is mine! All in moderation, I agree… although coffee seems a little better than fake chemicals. :)

The charm looks great, by the way. I couldn’t wear it though because every time I passed a mirror I’d start thinking about eating nut butter.

I do that enough as is. ;)

Juanita June 14, 2009 at 10:00 pm

Love the charm!

My oatgurt is fermenting as we speak…hopefully it will be ready in a day or two!

burpexcuzme June 14, 2009 at 10:23 pm

lol! Polly is a genius with words! I love her already.
And aww, I think that beautiful charm looks even more beautiful on you, Heather!
I’ll have to check up on J. Alexanders and see if they have any around my area…

mayapamela June 15, 2009 at 12:02 am

I can’t wait until my walnut butter jar runs low so I can make some kind of oatmeal concotion to eat in it!

Gina June 15, 2009 at 7:33 am

That is such a cute necklace!! I love that you guys have a date night, although I’ve never heard of that restaurant. The salad looks yummy though.

Gina June 15, 2009 at 7:33 am

Oh, P.S. I was thinking of you (and Bianca) yesterday because we had a stopover in Tennessee on our way home from Louisiana.

Dori June 15, 2009 at 7:44 pm

LOVE the PB necklace!! It looks great on you. I recently quit coffee (for the second time)… although I just like the taste. Let’s see what happens! I haven’t been missing it since I replaced it with green juice.

Erin June 15, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Great quote Polly! I totally agree. Totally, totally. We can’t be 100% pure.
Something’s gotta give!
Heather, you look absolutley stunning out of the shower. Can we trade faces?
P.S. I’m trying to get it approved by my next practicum site to have a purple streak in my hair. You’re my inspo!

Lara (Thinspired) June 16, 2009 at 4:15 pm

Heather!
Firstly, you look gorgeous in your charm photo. You are such a natural beauty.
Second, I reached the end of my Barney Butter jar and of course I thought of you! I savored that baby and cleaned out the whole thing. You would have been so proud :D