Florida, I Will Miss You!

by HEAB on June 20, 2009

Me in all my morning loveliness:

Like my jammies?I woke up to a full inbox along with a banana, Trader Joe’s raw crunchy almond butter, and a knife.  Seriously, what more do you need?

Jay Robb love.  Seriously, I needed him.

OK, so I needed some Jay Robb lovin.

I was still hungry and had one scoop of Jay Robb’s rice protein powder mixed with water.   Carbs + fats don’t usually do it for me – I need some protein in the mix.

So, the plan was to go for a walk and do yoga.  Instead I talked to CD on the phone and then bummed around in my PJ’s while drinking coffee.

Before I knew it, it was time to get ready for lunch.  I was super excited as I had plans to meet up with none other than Jenna from one of the first blogs I ever read, Eat Live Run.

IMG_2562Jenna always seems so genuine and down-to-earth on her blog, and that’s exactly what you get in person.  As far as the food goes, she could not have picked a more perfect restaurant.  We dined at Grass Root Organic Restaurant, and all I can say is Jenna, you know me well. :)

Glorious Greens

Glorious Greens

We both ordered Sabrina’s Favorite Sandwich, raw onion bread with raw hummus, avocado, sprouts, lettuce, and sheeze. Sabrina, I’m not sure who you are, but your favorite sandwich is now my favorite sandwich!  Such a fun lunch date, and it was almost odd to me that we had never met in person as I felt like old friends.  Jenna, I hope we get to meet up again someday!

On the way home, my Mom’s GPS kept barking orders at me.  Question…does your car have a GPS system, and if so, did you name it?  I refer to my Mom’s as The Be-yotch…she’s just so freakin bossy!  To drown her out, I spent 45 minutes on the phone with my precious Polly.  P, you are such a blessing in my life, and I’m so grateful you are my friend. :)

After lunch, I decided to walk on the beach.  The white sand and beautiful ocean water were just too much, and I probably walked a little longer than I should have as I now have a blister the size of my head on the bottom of my left foot.  Oops. Afterwards, we went swimming in the ocean – the water was so warm!  Pretty soon, I was ready for some more food.

Since it was our last night here, I wanted to consume as much seafood as possible. Mission accomplished. Taking HEAB reader Melissa’s suggestion, me and the fam. headed to Island Way Grill. Melissa, you now hold a special place in all our hearts as this was some of the best seafood we’ve ever had!

We started off the evening with the appetizer sampler platter:

Pot stickers, shrimp, and crab.

Pot stickers, shrimp, conch fritters, and crab.

This was good, but a bit too fried for my taste.  I think I ate all but one of the shrimp and a pot sticker.

For my main course, I ordered the salmon with extra veggies instead of mashed potatoes or rice.

This tasted unbelievably fresh.  Amazing.

This tasted unbelievably fresh. Amazing.

This weekend in Florida was just what I needed – time with my mom and brother, 2 days of ocean breeze, and more seafood than I have eaten in the past year.  I should do this more often!  Tomorrow, it’s back home to CD and the pups.  I can’t wait. :)

Happy Sunday my friends.

chasingblue June 20, 2009 at 8:13 pm

I’m jealous of your breakfast! I am out of almond butter. :(

Also that sandwich looks delicious! I’ve never had anything like that. It’s so funny to see what appeals to me now as I’m on the track to getting healthy.

Hope you had an awesome trip!

VeggieGirl June 20, 2009 at 8:44 pm

Lovin’ the PJs!! :-D

I named my dad’s car’s GPS system a similar name, hahaha.

So fun that you and Jenna met up!! Love ya guys.

Glad you had such a fun weekend!!

psychoj1 June 20, 2009 at 8:48 pm

Have a safe trip back home. Happy y’all had a great lunch date :)
Oh and guess what?! I got some almonds (unsalted) and plan on making some raw AB either tomorrow or Monday. I can’t wait and I’ll use your advice: patience. Thanks so much!
<3 jess

Erica June 20, 2009 at 8:58 pm

I think you look adorable first thing in the am ;) Love the jar of the AB sitting next to you. VERY cool that you got to have lunch with Jenna. That appetizer looks out of control.

bobbi June 20, 2009 at 9:05 pm

you are so cute, even in the morning! I love blogger meet ups how fun!

Gena (Choosing Raw) June 20, 2009 at 9:09 pm

What a delicious and lovely looking lunch you had!! And so fun that you met Jenna.

Erin June 20, 2009 at 9:17 pm

Oh my, we are the same person! I look almost EXACTLY like that in the mornings lately. Glasses, computer, never fully sitting in a chair, almond butter jar, banana. Crazy!
I’m glad you had a wonderful trip, I love seafood and the beach too. It’s so refreshing.
Have a safe trip!

Erin June 20, 2009 at 9:20 pm

Oh, and my GPS drives me crazy! His name is Nigel. My Dad’s is Carmen. And she gets soooo angry. I find it so funny how computers can have personalities too.

Katrina (gluten free gidget) June 20, 2009 at 9:23 pm

So, I don’t know how I missed that you were in Tampa. That’s where I live! I am so disappointed that I missed you! BOO!

Mara @ What's For Dinner? June 20, 2009 at 9:39 pm

What a wonderful day!! I commented earlier on Jenna’s blog, but I’m SO jealous she got to meet you. I hope our little meet up will work out! :)

jenngirl June 20, 2009 at 9:39 pm

almond butter, banana, computer, and lounging with coffee…definitely my kind of morning!!

Yes, lots of my friends have GPS in their cars, and we ALWAYS name the person something silly. Those voices can be so demanding!

Glad you had such a great trip :)

Maria June 20, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Haha, love that first picture of you! That’s exactly how I look in the morning with the bedhead, laptop, glasses, and banana in hand (haha with a side of AB of course ;) ). That salmon looks amazing–<3 seafood!

JB June 20, 2009 at 10:27 pm

that sandwich looks and sounds great! and that morning picture of you just made my night. hah! almond butter and a banana, what’s greater than that? (aside from my best friend named oatmeal…hehe.) i’m glad you had so much fun in florida! you and jenna both look gorgeous in that picture.

-JB

Danielle C. June 20, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Yum, yum, yum! All this salmon in blog land today, I must have some soon.

My husband’s GPS HATES me, I was using it a few weeks ago and defied her orders 3x in about 10 miles. He named her Rosie….I call her Rosie Palmer as her full name.

Danielle June 20, 2009 at 10:48 pm

Oh the beginning of your breakfast is exactly like mine! I know for a fact how yummy the combo is :) Glad you enjoyed your time in the Sunshine state, have a safe trip home!

Pearl June 21, 2009 at 12:03 am

i end up yelling back at my GPS.
“i heard you the FIRST TIME.”
i’m sure people who look into my car and see me screaming and gesturing frantically to the dashboard of my car thinks i’m insane.

Ashley June 21, 2009 at 1:49 am

I love the morning pic Heather! The jar of of almond butter with the knife ready to go made me smile :-)

Sounds like you’ve had a brilliant time in Florida – that salmon truly looks amazing!!

And thanks for your thoughtful reply to my last post. It makes me feel better that I can rely on all the walking! I’ll be going to Poland, France, England, Ireland, the US and Canada. It’s only 3 weeks away now!

Scott J in Ohio June 21, 2009 at 4:06 am

My wife’s car has a GPS…I think it’s name is “SHUT UP!!”

What a fantastic weekend getaway you had!

Susan June 21, 2009 at 6:34 am

Haha, love the morning pic. That’s how I spend a lot of my mornings too :)

I gotta go to Florida and try the seafood! My tastebuds love nothing more than some fresh salmon :) Sounds like you had a great trip!

Lara (Thinspired) June 21, 2009 at 6:40 am

I love that picture of you with your breakfast loves :)
Have a safe trip home, Heather!

Heather June 21, 2009 at 6:41 am

Love that morning pic! It’s so similar to how I spend my mornings.

My mom has a GPS and named her Betsy. It’s quite strange, because one of my favorite co-workers is also a Betsy, so when I’m in the car yelling “SHUT UP, BETSY!” I feel awfully bad. I just found out there’s a mute function for her, though, so I will have to use that soon.

Mandy A June 21, 2009 at 7:09 am

glad you had such a great time with Jenna and a great trip in Florida! ALL of your eats looked AMAZING!!!

But glad you’re coming home, too! :) Your pups will be so excited!

Nicole June 21, 2009 at 7:18 am

I love Florida! Your trip looks fabulous :D

Dori June 21, 2009 at 7:20 am

I love that pic of you with your banana and AB in your pajamas! And you and Jenna both look so pretty and happy. That sandwich sounds so great! Glad you had a great time in FL!

Ashley June 21, 2009 at 7:29 am

My GPS’s name is Bitchy Betty…I set her voice to be a British woman’s and my car on the screen is a monster truck.

Shelby June 21, 2009 at 7:37 am

You are lovely in the morning! I love how your sitting there with the huge jar of AB. haha

So fun to meet up with Jenna! She really is so sweet!

Walking on the beach sounds like HEAVEN right now. I wish I could be there =(

Have a safe trip home!

ksgoodeats June 21, 2009 at 7:48 am

I love your morning set up! All one needs in life is some TJs nut butter and a spoon :)

What a fun lunch! I’m dying to try that restaurant if I ever make it to Florida!

Glad you had a great time! Have a safe trip home!!

Meghann June 21, 2009 at 8:14 am

I can’t believe you came to Tampa the one week I am out of town. :( Not fair!

jacobc June 21, 2009 at 8:52 am

Looks like you might have enjoyed fathers day weekend more than your father..hmmm ;-p
Seafood and beaches are great!
cheers, jacob

foodsthatfit June 21, 2009 at 9:18 am

Haha, we have a GPS too, but we figured out how to mute her! Makes the trip much more enjoyable without hearing the annoying computerized voice.

So glad you had such a fun trip, and wish you safe travels home!

Trilby Drew June 21, 2009 at 9:41 am

I takes a real woman to rock glasses. And Heather, you do!

From one glasses-wearing chick to another, I salute you!

Gina June 21, 2009 at 12:02 pm

My GPS is named Beverly. My husband named it.

I’m glad to hear you had fun in Florida!!

Tom June 21, 2009 at 1:36 pm

Almonds raw, naturally delicious are my favorite! However, I have to say that I prefer my almond butter roasted – mmmmm, that nutty flavor is soooo amazing with apples or celery, or mixed in with vanilla ice cream if you’re in the mood to indulge! :)

I’m an almond farmer, so I can’t help but be a little partial to them. http://www.homegrownalmonds.com

Sarah June 21, 2009 at 4:01 pm

I ADORE the picture of you in your jammies, glasses and laptop. I can totally relate!

Meredith June 21, 2009 at 5:02 pm

That’s such a cute pic of you! I tend to look like that in the mornings too. Is that coffee on your pajama bottoms?

CaSaundra June 21, 2009 at 5:34 pm

Haha that so looks like a me typical morning. Breakfast-computer-pj’s=life! So glad you enjoyed yourself :-)

traveleatlove June 21, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Ahhh I think we all need a relaxing seaside weekend! Looks lovely!

Andrea@WellnessNotes June 21, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Sounds like you had a great weekend! The sandwich and the salmon look sooooo good! :) Have a safe trip home!

Anna June 21, 2009 at 7:50 pm

That sandwich looks divine…I wish there were more vegetarian/vegan restaurants in Wisconsin! Sigh.

I’m glad to hear that your trip was relaxing and enjoyable!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) June 21, 2009 at 8:06 pm

I’m sure there have been countless similar early morning scenes involving me, food and a laptop, but thankfully, no one has photographed me in that situation recently. I would have had to drop an elbow. I don’t think I look nearly as cute as you at that hour. :)

In other news, I ATE KABOCHA FOR DINNER! I’ve been bitching that I couldn’t find it, but of course the NEAREST POSSIBLE grocery store carries it and I didn’t know because I’ve just never looked for it before. Anyway, it was delicious! Thanks for turning me on to it. I ate it savory tonight, but it’ll have to be sweet next time, methinks. Enjoy your reunion with CD! :D

hopeinpeanutbutterandoats June 21, 2009 at 8:44 pm

loving the morning shot! haha
i have NOT named my GPS, because it gets called whatever name comes out at the time ( usually names including profanity) we have a love/hate relationship.
Have a safe trip home!

Emily June 21, 2009 at 10:07 pm

Aww, looks like you and Jenna had a great lunch together. I’d love to try Grassroots; I actually reviewed it while doing a project on healthy eats in FL.

Don’t you just love being near the water?! I am so glad to be home and right next to the beach (we just went today). Amazing how it can make me so happy (well, that and being with my family)!

Hope you have a safe trip back!

Deb June 21, 2009 at 11:17 pm

What exactly is raw onion bread?? Looks sooo yummy?!

MizFit June 22, 2009 at 4:22 am

Love your morning loveliness as I sit here in all mine (And Jena. Met her before and she’s just so calm amazing smart funny wise huh?).

JENNA June 22, 2009 at 6:29 am

It looks like you had such a wonderful time in FL!!! I love love love your shirt and scarf that you wore to eat with Jenna. So cute!

CoconutGal June 22, 2009 at 10:15 am

Fun fun fun! Your breakfast is the same as mine when I’m traveling :-) So easy. You look so cute in your pj’s and glasses!

When we went on vacation last year we had a GPS and we named it Gretchen. You’ll have to ask me about why we chose that name. Yay for Polly to save the day. That’s what friends are for– saving us from scary GPS ladies. All your seafood sounds sooooo goood!! Yumm! Fun meeting Jenna and the raw food? Ah so cool! Glad you got a chance to kick back!