A Winner & A Loser

by HEAB on June 26, 2009

Yesterday, me and the Vita-Mix had a little squabble:

Vita, you know I love ya, but sometimes, you're just too good at your job!

Vita, you know I love ya, but sometimes, you're just too good at your job!

My breakfast was to blame.

Over-blended oats.

Over-blended oats.

After my hour long talk with Dave, I decided try a new oat bran concoction.  Deb, my shake muse, asked me if I had ever tried summer squash in my oats.  Um no, but why not?  So, I made my chia protein oats, and blended in 2 steamed yellow squash.  I also added a little xanthan gum and guar gum (thanks for sending me this Deb!) to thicken up the mix. Long story short, I added too much water, and xanthan hum and guar gum should only be added to smoothies, not oat bran. The Vita-Mix blended everything up a little too well, and any sort of texture was completely lost.  This tasted like a bowl of vanilla oatie glue. Blech!  Definitely Heat the Salmon Butt worthy, and the only redeeming qualities were the ABU topping and the fact that I got to use my new bowl from Polly. :)

Still digusted by my breakfast, I wanted something simple and plain for lunch.  So, I made chicken sandwiches, Polly style:

HEAB's chicken wrappers.

HEAB's chicken wrappers.

After grilling a chicken breast with fresh lime juice, I shredded it, making tiny sandwiches with baby spinach leaves and Artisana’s raw coconut butter (thanks Justine…I don’t want this jar to ever end!)

This morning’s breakfast definitely made up for yesterday’s disaster:

Raw oatgurt love.

Raw oatgurt love.

This tasted so good – exactly what I wanted. My bowl consisted of a big blob of raw oatgurt (1 cup+), 1/2 chopped frozen banana, and 1/2 chopped avocado. High in calories?  Yes.  High in fat?  Yes.  My belly is now happy…

But my heart is sad.  What is your favorite Michael Jackson song?  Mine are Man In the Mirror and We Are The World.

jacobc June 26, 2009 at 8:41 am

Yeah, squash oats?? doesn’t sound to appetising.. normally oatmeal needs something sweet for some luving..

Now that coconut chichen looks awesome!

We are almost half way through the day now.. is everyone still alive??

Erica June 26, 2009 at 8:44 am

Sorry the bfast wasn’t too yummy but I’m glad the lunchy made up for it! Looks fabulous :) Ohhh MJ- so sad :( I like Billy Jean

Erica June 26, 2009 at 8:44 am

ow and the way you make me feel!

carolinebee June 26, 2009 at 8:49 am

haha love the tacky infomercial picture :D Oh heather, man in the mirror is like the ultimate best song ever I totally agree. So sad.

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) June 26, 2009 at 8:51 am

Thank God today’s b’fast made up for yesterday. Nothing more disappointing than a food disaster.

I am SO sad about MJ. Too many favorite songs to name – he was completely the foundation for all music that I came to love. I think the “Bad” album has a special place in my heart because that was the first tape (tape!) that was my own and not a hand-me-down record from my older sibs.

brandi June 26, 2009 at 8:51 am

i’m glad you redeemed your breakfast :) i need to try this banana/avo combination.

“the way you make me feel” and “Thriller”

Michal Mymo June 26, 2009 at 8:57 am

Sorry that your breakfast didnt turn out so well. But your lunch looks tasty! My favorit song was billy jean and black and white.

Michal (lilearthmuffin)

polly June 26, 2009 at 9:10 am

THRILLER!!! Woohooo! I was hooked on that video as a 6th grader. Boy am I old. :D

Love you my friend! So sad that your breakfast was soup d’jour, but yummy looking avocado naner love today!!!

Isn’t chicken wrapped in little lettuce leaves just so yummy and fun to eat?

We are grilling hamburgers today after we head to the ZOO with Dan’s brother and family! Abbers had golf already today and momma taught a yoga class (lots of upside down cake kinda yoga… HANDSTANDS!) and we’re all gonna be pooooooped tonight.

Love you and praying always! You are so cute in that picture!

I got your SWEET email and I love the idea of moving out WEST! When shall we all go? Can D and CD open a little shop for us? Let’s brainstorm…. :P

XOXO Pols peach

Holly June 26, 2009 at 9:10 am

I actually tried avocado on a wrap for the first time this week! (Gasp). I mean, I’ve had ‘cado before but only in, you know, guac’. SO freakin’ good!!

It really is terrible about MJ. Gone far too soon. I love “Thriller” (my sisters used to turn on the video and laugh when I’d run into the bathroom, terrified) and “Billy Jean.” There are so many more. We had the “Thriller” RECORD.

Equinox Girl June 26, 2009 at 9:20 am

Man in the Mirror, for sure. It’s on my iPod. He was was very first crush…

And Farrah…so wanted her hair!

Maria June 26, 2009 at 9:21 am

Sorry to hear that the squash breakfast didn’t turn out too well–but great that the oatgurt is still delicious :) . Oooh those chicken sandwiches seem very tropical with the coconut and lime. Mmmmm.You and Polly convince me to try this simple but delish looking meal out!

Michael Jackson’s Beat It–my mom used to dance to this when I was a little toddler.

Hope you have a fantastic Friday, Heather!

RunToFinish June 26, 2009 at 9:22 am

hmm I’ve only tried coconut oil, not coconut butter…now i want some! but not in glutey non-oaty oats

psychoj1 June 26, 2009 at 9:24 am

I’m sorry about your failed breakfast. It was a great thought though! I love what you had for breakfast today! Avocado is oats? Interesting!
<3 jess

Jess June 26, 2009 at 9:28 am

Your lunch looks SO yummy.

That is horrible about MJ. :(

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) June 26, 2009 at 9:30 am

I’ll gladly take that Vita Mix off your hands and teach it a lesson!

I like the old Jackson 5 stuff the best, “Want You Back” always makes me grin!!!

homegirlcaneat June 26, 2009 at 9:31 am

I love the nut/coconut butter and chicken combo Polly came up with! So creamy and delicious!!

Fav songs would be don’t stop til you get enough and PYT :(

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) June 26, 2009 at 9:43 am

I love “Beat it” and “Thriller” but its hard to pick a favorite really. Poor guy :(

ksgoodeats June 26, 2009 at 9:47 am

Sorry to hear about the breakfast troubles :( Put enough nut butter on anything and it’ll be edible! I’m convinced!!

I love the mini wraps! I’ve been meaning to try those kind of wraps but I keep forgetting to pick up grocery supplies.

I can’t pick just one MJ song – The Way You Make Me Feel, Thriller, Billie Jean, old school Jackson 5, Man in the Mirror, etc!

Whit June 26, 2009 at 10:43 am

Sometimes I wonder…should I try oatgurt? I mean this lady has a fab muffin recipe. How can she go wrong?

Oh well, one day.

My fave MJ is Billie Jean and Black or White. :(

Scott in Ohio June 26, 2009 at 10:44 am

Nice to see the oatgurt back in action! Great choice of toppings!

As so many others have, I’ll have to go with “Billie Jean”. I wore that cassette tape out on my Walkman! Yeah, I’m old…

Have a great weekend!

justine June 26, 2009 at 10:46 am

Thanks for the shout my love!! Sorry your oat bran was like poo :( . The raw oats in the last pic look great!! Coconut butter and chicken? Hmmm, I need to try that :)

Love,
Justine

Jodye June 26, 2009 at 11:17 am

I’m so glad I’m not the only one whose had a xanthan gum mishap — yesterday I was whizzing up a batch of ABU, thanks to you, and thought I’d thicken it with a bit of xanthan gum, i reached a decent consistency, but for some reason decided to add just a bit more. Long story short, it was just a bit too much, and my perfectly delicious concoction turned it into, in your words, glue. Looks like I’ll have to head over to TJ’s to get some more almond butter to experiment with! Also, I’ve been thinking about making your oatgurt for quite some time, and I think today’s bowl just convinced me for good!

Angharad June 26, 2009 at 11:33 am

Sorry to hear about your morning belly troubles! Yuck! I’m commenting here for the first time but I’ve been reading your blog for a while – and I love it! I have to admit that I have never tried Almond Butter (eek!!) but I am so intrigued and excited to after reading about your obsession! Just got to get through the massive jar of peanut butter in my cupboard first :)

I’ve just started writing myself, in part inspired by this blog. Please stop by and check it out and leave a comment if you get the chance: http://eating-for-england.blogspot.com/

Thanks!

Maggie June 26, 2009 at 11:41 am

There is such a fine line between blending perfectly and overblending. I’ve done it too, even with the food processor.

High in fat = good for hair, nails, skin :) I love me some healthy fats! Plus they get my mind off of food – something about being truly full.

Happy Friday Heather!

Shelby June 26, 2009 at 12:32 pm

I wish I had a Vita-mix to fight with ;)

Guess what I got from TJ’s?! Raw Creamy AB! I know you like the crunchy kind but I wanted to give the creamy a shot in ABU. Can’t wait =)

frenchybelle June 26, 2009 at 1:31 pm

You have such GREAT ideas for the oats at breakfast! Sorry about it turning into yucky glue!

That coconut butter sounds amazing. What sort of things do you use it with? Does it melt?

Melanie June 26, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Sorry your breakfast wasn’t yummy! Mine wasn’t either – green smoothie in my new vitamix and I wasn’t loving the taste of this one – blech!

Dirty Diana, Billy Jean, Thriller and I’m sure I have others :)

Diana June 26, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Oatgurt – cute name!

Dori June 26, 2009 at 6:44 pm

LOVE that picture! So great. The chicken wraps look fantastic, I want that!

Gena (Choosing Raw) June 26, 2009 at 7:00 pm

Ah, The Vita. She is a sweet mistress, but she is a fickle mistress. I’ve had my battles with her, too.
;-)

traveleatlove June 26, 2009 at 8:24 pm

Billie Jean and Beat it!

livingfreeforever June 26, 2009 at 8:27 pm

That picture is really cute:) I wish I had a vitamix though! I was in a hurry to eat a quick dinner this evening and guess what I had? Oatgurt w/ 1/2 banana and sunbutter. YUMMYLICIOUS! I didn’t eat enough though. I got way hungry later and ate stuff I shouldn’t have. There’s always tomorrow!

I can’t believe MJ died! I used to love his music and he was an awesome dancer. I liked pretty much all of his songs. Our radio station played his songs during the lunch hour today. That was cool.

Erin June 26, 2009 at 9:00 pm

Sorry you and the Vita had a smackdown. Hilarious picture though. Our breakfasts had issues it seems today.
I like the chicken wraps though.
Yesterday was so shocking on the news front. I was stunned. Billy Jean is my probably my fave, but too many to choose from.

glidingcalm June 26, 2009 at 9:29 pm

I love HEAB food.

sorry it was toooooooo blended! :(

Danielle June 26, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Sorry about your icky breakfast… good thing you made up for it this morning :)

broccolihut June 26, 2009 at 10:21 pm

OMG I am totally adding coconut butter to my next tofu salad.

Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write June 26, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Your bowl is cute, but that shake looks exactly like baby food!!!

My heart is sad about MJ too. I’d have to say Bad is my favorite song.

The Fit Collegiate June 27, 2009 at 6:51 am

Ugh, I hate when I mess up my oatmeal/bran. As lame as it sounds, oatbran is always my favorite meal, and if it gets messed up, it always puts a damper on the rest of the day. Glad you made up for it this morning, though. I’m bad at experimenting with unconventional breakfast ingredients, but I’d definitely give sliced avocado a go as an oatbran topping! I’m with you…I like my breakfast to have lots of fat/fiber. Keeps me chugging alll morning!

gina (fitnessista) June 27, 2009 at 8:18 am

sorry the bfast didn’t turn out and that you forgive the vitamix. i got into a huge fight with my when i tried to make almond butter and it overheated on me
i LOVE coconut butter but only use it in macaroons and cooking.. time to branch out
have a wonderful weekend! <3

Trilby Drew June 27, 2009 at 9:54 am

I was pulling this webpage and just happened to glance at the tags. I love that it’s like, “almond butter, chia seeds, Heat the Salmon Butt…” The salmon butt thing always cracks me up. Hehehehe.

Lauren June 27, 2009 at 10:08 am

I wonder what raw coconut butter is exactly? Is it just that fatty stuff that you sometimes find smeared inside a coconut after you break it open? If so, I LOVE that stuff! Hm, that reminds me, I have some coconut water in the freezer from my last coconut, time to go put it in my belly.

My favorite MJ songs are Dirty Diana and Smooth Criminal. But for me his music was secondary…his dancing was DIVINE.

redhead75 June 27, 2009 at 2:05 pm

Hmmmm….we’d have a brawl about those chips ;) Problem solved, get 2 baskets!! :)

Ashley June 30, 2009 at 12:53 am

I think your vita mix must be very very powerful! My food processor wouldn’t be capable of ‘over-blending’!

And outgurt RULES. I’ve eaten it every day this week. With almond butter. Love the fat, the carbs and the calories. It keeps me full and happy :-)

{ 2 trackbacks }