Explosive Morning

by HEAB on June 30, 2009

Wow – so many amazing comments on my weight loss post.  Reading them brought me so much joy – you guys amaze me!  Thank you so much for reminding me why I started blogging in the first place as lately I feel all I’ve done is share my bizarre meals with you…you do love my bizarre eats, right? :)

This morning was nothing short of a disaster in the kitchen.  First, there was a chia seed explosion involving my Vita-Mix…don’t ask.  2 hours later, and I’m still discovering little blobs of chia glue everywhere…

like on my sleeve.

like on my sleeve.

I then proceeded to make another batch of chia gel for my morning smoothie.  Look how creamy and yummy my smoothie looked…

Looks can be deceiving.

Yeah, well looks can be deceiving.

This was beyond Heat the Salmon Butt bad…we’re talking projectile vomit gross. Usually, I eat my disasters, but this one went straight down the kitchen sink. Blech. I can’t tell you what it contained quite yet as it was part of a product review I’m doing.  I’ll say this much…it was not Amazing.

So, instead I ate something I knew would make me happy:

My favorite bowl of oat bran.

My favorite bowl of oat bran.

I had about 1/4 a jar of ABU left and dumped some plain oat brain in on top.  This definitely made up for the smoothie!

After finishing off my jar, I realized I was completely out of any sort of almond butter.  Huh..wha?!?  Must make more ASAP.  So, I did:

Homemade raw almond butter.

Homemade raw almond butter.

Many of you have asked how I make my homemade nut butters, and now you can click here for the process. By the way, did y’all know it was National Almond Butter Day yesterday?  I hope you celebrated as much as I did.

I must leave you now for some yoga, but before I go, don’t forget the following:

• Today (Tuesday, June 30) is the final day that you can receive 50% off all of classes at YogaDownload with the promotional code HEAB.  Remember, once you purchase the classes, they are your’s to keep forever. What are you waiting for? Click here to start downloading!
  • Today is also the last day to receive 20% off all Jay Robb online orders using the promotional coupon code below. Now, you know I love Jay, and I want all of you to know that he does not pay me to endorse his products. However, I do get to stare at his sexy bod everyday on my bag of brown rice protein. That’s payment enough, don’t ya think? :)

HDBlogCoupon

In honor of Justine’s 100th post, I’m going to leave my own Confession of the Day:

I despise both sushi & wine.  Every year, I try them, hoping my taste buds will have changed, but nope.  Can’t do it my friends…can’t do it.  Give me Mexican food over Japanese any day, and I’d like a glass of water with lemon…no ice. Thanks. :)

VeggieGirl June 30, 2009 at 10:09 am

Yikes!! Didn’t know that chia seeds were like TNT, haha ;-)

I don’t like sushi either – it’s a taste aversion of mine, since a few years ago I suffered a SEVERE case of food poisoning (I went blind temporarily from it!!!) due to tainted sushi.

Pearl June 30, 2009 at 10:09 am

yum! that oatbran in that jar sure looks good!

prettyladycmu June 30, 2009 at 10:11 am

I can’t believe you’re still finding chia remnants – yikes!! I can’t wait to try your nut butter “recipe” though. I love the idea of it being homemade!

Erica June 30, 2009 at 10:14 am

ummm yah…I don’t like sushi and wine either!!! My parents are BIG into wine and so I’ve tried and tried but bleck! Bummer about breakfast try #1, glad that breakfast try #2 was MUCH more delicious. Hooray for AB!

Rose June 30, 2009 at 10:14 am

I’m so excited you posted that process that I’m going to try my hand at making some tonight!

jenngirl June 30, 2009 at 10:21 am

Can’t believe I missed nation AB day! :( Oh well, I’ll make up for it.

haha that’s funny, sushi and wine are two of my FAVORITE things. Like seriously faves here, especially together! crazyyy.

frenchybelle June 30, 2009 at 10:24 am

Funny about the chia explosion! Sorry the mix didnt work out!

YAY for National AB day!! I didnt know that!

Lara (Thinspired) June 30, 2009 at 10:27 am

Homemade almond butter is further proof that I NEED a food processor!
Don’t like sushi OR wine?! Oh man, I don’t know if we can be friends now. Just kidding ;) But really? To each their own! People can’t believe that I don’t like Indian food. Same thing…I try it every once in a while and I just can’t stomach it :(

justine June 30, 2009 at 10:33 am

Sorry about the explosion! Our Whole Foods lunch will make it all better :) . Really no wine. We must fix this asap!!! See you in a few!

~Justine

jacobc June 30, 2009 at 10:38 am

Woah, I’m sure you partied it up yesterday! ;-p

I feel ya with the sushi and wine.. i like my fish cooked.. raw=nasty.
And i know the red wine with it’s cardio benefits (hey maybe i’ll finish a little less far behind CD ;-p).. but that bottle i bought last year is still on the counter about half full..ehh, taste nastier than pepto, or sushi for that matter!

Graze With Me June 30, 2009 at 10:41 am

ABU,yum, I need to make some of that asap. Sorry about the “explosion”! At least I’m not only person who gets sprayed with food in the kitchen….

No sushi huh? I love it but to each their own. I hate most forms of salads…it takes a special touch to make me enjoy one.

Maggie June 30, 2009 at 10:41 am

I used to LOVE sushi, but last week I had it and couldn’t stand it. Very strange.

I did the ABU/oat bran thing yesterday and I’m doing it again today. I put the abu in with the water while cooking though. Definitely try that.

Target it having long&lean tanks on sale for $5, fyi. My mom alerted me (NJ) and they’re doing it out here in Cali too, so probably everywhere.

JB June 30, 2009 at 10:48 am

oh no! explosions are so frustrating! but i think the disaster i wrote about in my post last night miiiight just trump your chia gel explosion. i spilled an entire bowl of pasta with pumpkin sauce on my BED. the comforter needed to be washed, and i had to remake dinner.

and WHAT?! national almond butter day? nobody told me! if there are any other holidays as important as that one, please tell me! maybe make a HEAB calendar or something. i feel like such a bad foodie…not having celebrated almond butter on its special day… :(

have a great tuesday heather, and i hope you find all the chia remnants! i’m going to go take another look at yogadownload now. maybe i’ll buy something. 50% off is too great of a deal. thanks for the reminder. :)

-JB

Cindy June 30, 2009 at 10:53 am

no sushi love

I think I have wasabi-its… Have HAVE to put it on everything.

I had no idea it was Almond butter day? we were at the grocery store and i am out and I saw some…and passed on it becasue I want my Sprouts kind.

had I known, I would have bought it..just to celebrate!

Sorry about your Chia trouble :)

Anna June 30, 2009 at 11:01 am

I need to do that oatbran in the nut butter jar trick! Looks like such a fun way to eat.

I’ll def be taking advantage of the Jay Robb discount… I tried some for the first time last week and looooved it. No weird aftertaste like whey protein.

Here’s my food confession- I hate rice. I’ll eat it if it’s mixed into a particularly flavorful dish, but I hate it on its own. Everyone shames me for it, saying “you ARE aware that 1/2 the world’s population virtually survives on rice??” Yes, I’m aware, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it! All the more reason to be thankful that I can afford to purchase other foods.

Maria June 30, 2009 at 11:11 am

I am not a fan of wine myself–although I adore sushi (but not sashimi!).

The oat bran looks mighty tasty in that jar!

What? there’s a national day just for you ;) . Thanks for the tutorial, Heather–I will check it out! Hope you have a lovely day~

brandi June 30, 2009 at 11:20 am

i love the chia explosion :) I can picture it in my head. I guess I’ll have to be careful with those little guys!

oatbran jar – yum. I need to hurry up and get close to finishing another jar already!

glidingcalm June 30, 2009 at 11:22 am

so sorry bout the explosion and crappy breakfast!! but you are all about the experiments, and you have created some AMAZING dishes. I mean, just look at Curlytop’s post!!! We all love hearing about them! Hope the next one is smoother! :)

Jenn (eating bender) June 30, 2009 at 11:30 am

Aw, too bad about the Heat the Salmon Butt recipe and the chia spill :( But on the plus side, the almond butter looks amazing! I’m definitely going to have to look into this ABU/PBU stuff – it sounds fantastic!

Alright, while I can’t agree with you on sushi and wine, I am totally there with you at the Mexican restaurant drinking a water with no ice! I never put ice in my drinks – I can’t stand it!

psychoj1 June 30, 2009 at 11:31 am

Sorry to hear about your HTSB worthy breakfast/explosion! I love your experiments/dishes. I don’t think they’re bizarre :D

<3 jess
xoxo

ksgoodeats June 30, 2009 at 11:31 am

Aw man – sorry about the breakfast catastrophe! Glad your nut butter was there for you in your time of need :)

Would you believe that I’ve never had sushi! I just don’t see the appeal to have it.

janetha June 30, 2009 at 11:35 am

yumm that homemade AB is makin me drool. you dont like sushi? you have such a broad palette so that really surprises me! but i know a lot of folks who hate it. haha sorry about the explosion! couldnt help but giggle.

Natalie June 30, 2009 at 11:41 am

I think I have the same exact shirt! (Minus the chia…haha) Did you get it at Forever 21?

Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write June 30, 2009 at 11:43 am

Remember me asking you about the chia seeds? There’s an article in this month’s Shape. You should check it out. You probably already know everything it says, but still. It was so ironic I asked you about them and then there they were in the mag! Go figure. Have a beautiful day, lady. :)

Allie June 30, 2009 at 11:53 am

wow, how did i miss the 20% off until the last day??!!

i heart nut butters and am really eager to try making my own, although i just ordered 6 almond barney butters… the prob is i do not own a food processor and i don’t want to buy one because my kitchen is small. i do have a blendtec though (same as vitamix). have you ever made nutbutters in your vitamix? do you think it would work?

thanks!!

fartygirl June 30, 2009 at 11:55 am

Funny, I tried Amazing Grass this week too! I mixed it with some juice & liked it. I haven’t tried it in a smoothie yet. Hmmmm… maybe tomorrow.

I’m totally on board with trying your diet. I’ve been trying to lose college beer weight for the last ten years. Going gluten free has helped, but I’m still not as toned as I’d like to be. My mom & sister & I are all carb addicts & it shows. We’re not fat. But we’re not skinny either. For so long, the skinnier family members have said it’s just how we’re made. But I’ve wondered if it’s sugar. The skinny family members don’t eat sugar like we do.

For the past two weeks, I’ve started the day with a tofu berry smoothie & nut butter cereal. My sugar cravings have completely disappeared. Plus I have a ton of energy. I can already tell I’m slimming down. I cannot thank you enough!

So yeah, a warning. Expect further HEAB gushing on FG. :)

Shelby June 30, 2009 at 11:56 am

Yes I love your bizzare eats Heather! Gives me so many ideas.
Bleh! That smoothie sounds gross though!

Yay for homemade AB!

I’ve never tried sushi. The only thing that makes it look good is the pretty colors and all the different flavors you can get. I’ll just have to try it and see.

Angharad June 30, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Thanks for the advice on how to make my own greek yogurt! I’m for sure going to give this a go once I’ve been grocery shopping this week and gotten some plain yogurt. This is by far one of my favorite things about the food blogging community – I’m learning some amazing tips!

I think the knee problem was inflammation and I always iced it after a long run but it still hurt like crazy. I should probably have listened to my husband and got it checked out at the time but I HATE doctors, and would kind of rather see if I can’t sensibly work round it but resting/easing back in slowly.

Thanks for all the advice – your blog rocks my socks!

Sarah June 30, 2009 at 12:02 pm

I cannot begin to count the number of times I’ve had blender/food processor explosions. They don’t even phase me anymore, I just sigh and clean up. I hope your shirt was salvaged!

I don’t know what’s sexier, my man Jay or that HOT almond butter!

Happy Tuesday, HEAB!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) June 30, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Holy moly, that is a mayjuh chia disappointment. At least you will always have AB and Oat Bran on your side – they won’t let you down. :)

bibixs June 30, 2009 at 12:07 pm

hahaha explosive chia!!!!
i can’t believe you don’t like sushi… i could live of sshi! as long as it has enough avocado and no cream cheese of course!, but mexican food rocks too!

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now June 30, 2009 at 12:21 pm

I don’t really like sushi, either. Only California rolls haha!

Erin June 30, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I finished my ABU too. So sad. Must have more AB!
Sounds like quite a morning, but lunch looks delicious. Mmmmm.
So glad you reminded me about the Jay Robb. I’m almost out of Sun Warrior and need to make a purchase.
I wish I had your sushi/wine problem!

Gena (Choosing Raw) June 30, 2009 at 12:48 pm

For that gorgeous smoothie, it was worth it.

Susan June 30, 2009 at 12:57 pm

Silly Heather, I celebrate almond butter everyday!! :P

I can’t stand wine either. I try and try, but I have yet to taste a kind that is even remotely appealing to me. I do however like champagne, does that count?

And yes, I love your bizarre eats! :)

Mandy A June 30, 2009 at 1:13 pm

no wine?? none at all??? not even a sip??

I looooove red wine :) Too much, actually!

Have fun with Justine!!! Tell her hello for me!

livingfreeforever June 30, 2009 at 1:16 pm

OMG! I can’t even imagine having chia seed glue everywhere. That stuff is impossible to get off of stuff. Don’t worry, I had my own little failed experience this morning too. I was trying to make bread like a sourdough bread kind of. I used oatgurt for the ‘sourdough’ starter. Let me just tell you, it is going in the trash. Is was SO sour it gave me a fish face! Can’t even make myself use it for anything! Oh well, that’s how we learn I guess:) Hope the rest of your day wasn’t so explosive and that you enjoyed yoga. By the way, yes, I love seeing all your yummy eats:)

Run Sarah June 30, 2009 at 1:34 pm

Oat bran and ABU sounds awesome! I love sushi but it was definitely an acquired taste for me. Your homemade AB looks perfectly creamy…I`d like to try making it but I haven`t found a reasonably priced source for bulk almonds.

crossbordercravings June 30, 2009 at 1:35 pm

50% off YagoDownload is AMAZING!!!! Thank you!!

-Aaron

lilveggiepatch June 30, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Sorry about your kitchen mess! At least the chia glue is yummy.

Thanks for the coupon… it’s just in time! I have about half a scoop of protein powder left in the carton.

joelygolightly June 30, 2009 at 1:59 pm

I’m going to go ahead and admit I’ve never had oat bran before! Yours does look pretty yummy though. :) Have a good day!

Scott in Ohio June 30, 2009 at 2:07 pm

I had to laugh at your blender explosion. Be thankful you don’t have white cabinets! (:

Thanks for posting the approximate times for getting creamy almond butter. I might’ve given up too soon!

Your bizarre eats are right up my alley. Part of enjoying food is the adventure!

Holly June 30, 2009 at 2:47 pm

I just typed a reminder in my phone to order from yoga download tonight (worst memory EVER, right here). Thanks, HEAB!

I hate throwing away new creations. Like you, I always try to force it down. With condiments. Like, lots of condiments. But sometimes it’s just not worth it. :-)

Kristie June 30, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Oh my gosh, I can’t wait to try mixing up a big bowl of oats with some PBU. And I can’t wait to try making ABU as well.

Oh no, no love for the sushi?! Haha it’s understandable but there are SO many different kinds, I’ll bet you there is at least one out there SOMEWHERE that you might just love… the Heather roll. Wine I could leave though. Except something sparkly and fruity, I’ll drink that :)

Marissa June 30, 2009 at 4:07 pm

You should have seen me in the kitchen last night. I pitted about 3 lbs of cherries. it looked like a scene from “Dexter”.

CurlyTop June 30, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Heather,

Abu lovin! As soon as my mummy heads to TJ’s she’s going to be picking up some AB. No ifs ands or heat salmon butts.

Have a great night darlin,

Emily

Runeatrepeat June 30, 2009 at 4:53 pm

I love sushi, but I always call if “fake sushi” since I only order the cooked ones!

cottchz June 30, 2009 at 5:23 pm

oh no! sounds like it was an explosive morning and green monster disaster across the boards!!! my monster exploded, your chia seeds went everywhere, jenna’s monster was sludge…something must be in the air :p

Jessica (jesslikesithot) June 30, 2009 at 5:40 pm

We LOVE all your bizarre eats Heather, “Heat the Salmon Butt” meals and all! ;)

Danielle June 30, 2009 at 5:46 pm

:) Sorry, but I’m laughing at your sleeve. We have to find the humor in life, right?

And yes, we love your “weird” eats – that’s why we read your blog!

RunToFinish June 30, 2009 at 6:15 pm

haha so i’m not the only one who didn’t think amazing was…err well you know

polly June 30, 2009 at 6:33 pm

Love ya my chia chum! Still never tried that, but it looked so cute speckled on your COOL shirt. ;)

I hope your new almond buttah is equal to that stuff from TJ’s… you know, liquid gold? Yeah, that stuff. Worth more than rubies and cold hard cash in this home. :D

Hope your evening is wonderful, my friend. We have had the busiest day again… so fun, but I think I’ll take a nap next September at this rate. :P

Love to you and CD!!! Oh and I’ve never had sushi, but I assume I won’t like it. ;) I think wine smells weird. I guess we’ll just drink our water and eat our almond butter with a spoon and grin. :D Little do they know that almond butter is much like wine… a tipsy effect with a nice stick to your ribs yum. ;)

Ashley June 30, 2009 at 7:01 pm

Oh, I hate when things look delicious but are of heat the salmon butt quality! That just makes it even worse :-(

I don’t like wine very much either – but I do like sushi (although I only have it occasionally because I don’t like the white rice so much). Do you like sashimi (just the raw fish?) I think that’s pretty darn tasy with some tamari sauce. Yummy!

Also, thanks for the info on the gums! And as soon as I know dates (I’m thinking early or mid September) I’ll let you know. I’d love to hang out with you and Justine. What fun!

Gina June 30, 2009 at 7:05 pm

I found some chia today. So excited!!!

ttfn300 June 30, 2009 at 7:09 pm

you sure have had some adventures with that mixer of late! off to read the weight loss post :)

Dori June 30, 2009 at 7:15 pm

I explode pulp in my juicer all the time. It gets on the walls, ceiling and large picture on the wall — which is luckily covered in plastic!

traveleatlove June 30, 2009 at 7:47 pm

I really love the texture of soaked chia seeds. I don’t know why because I hate gelatinous things normally!
I am doing an Amazing Grass SuperFood giveaway over at my blog. Check it out!

traveleatlove.wordpress.com

Scott McIntosh June 30, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Ok, the Sushi and Wine comment made me lol. Heather I never knew! Wow, and I love both of those things (I could eat sushi everyday!). Maybe I should take you to Japan to try the real stuff and see if that works for you?

Funny.

-Brother

Deb June 30, 2009 at 9:34 pm

OK, thanks for ‘splainin’ the heat the butt joke! Got it!

Really…. you have a $500 Vitamix and you don’t try to earn every penny back on it by making your nut butters in it?? I make anything possible on it but especially because it’s always out on my countertop now :-)

Sorry about your Chia Fiasco. That really sucks that those seeds attached themselves like vampires to your arm!

buffmuffy June 30, 2009 at 9:38 pm

I can’t wait to make my own almond butter. I just need a better food processor! Mine is a little guy that you hold closed to blend and cost me $13. Haha!
-Muffy

Hangry Pants July 1, 2009 at 5:51 am

I just want to confirm that yes, i love your crazy eats. You really enlighten me at times and that is not my usual sarcasm.

fartygirl July 1, 2009 at 7:04 am

I take back what I said about the Amazing!!! Today I found a twig in my smoothie. :(

jacobc July 1, 2009 at 7:51 am

Note to CD. Do not let Heather have any fireworks. That could be ugly, and end up armless ;-p

carolinebee July 1, 2009 at 7:52 am

haha chia explosion! Too bad about the experiment gone wrong- you could really lie and fool us cuz it looks gooood! I’ll take all sushi and wine gladly off your hands :D

Erika July 1, 2009 at 8:37 am

Love chia seeds but also cannot aquire a taste for sushi or wine! Oh well! Love your blog and you look great! I am 32, do you find it is harder to keep the weight off? I feel like since turning 30, I have needed to revamp my diet and exercise.

JENNA July 1, 2009 at 8:47 am

Your oat bran looks so creamy and good! Sorry about your explosion! (heehee some days you just have to laugh about it!)

astonishing….I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of anyone disliking BOTH sushi and wine!!??? ;)

CoconutGal July 1, 2009 at 9:17 am

Please come over and bring some ABU… we could totally have an oat bran party!! Yayyy! Hope you are feeling fantastic today!!!

Kristen July 1, 2009 at 9:48 am

Can’t wait to make some homemade AB! I think I am getting a food processor in the next few weeks. Yay! Have a great day, friend. And don’t think I won’t take you up on the baja offer one day!

elise July 2, 2009 at 11:08 am

which was the bigger disaster? the chia seed explosion or the lack of almond butter, haha…