Pie For Breakfast

by HEAB on July 1, 2009

I love the 60 minute Hot-Power Fusion class from YogaDownload, except I could not do Balancing Stick to save my life this morning.  Wobbling all over the place! Honestly, I have a hard time  doing more than 20 or 30 minutes of yoga at home. At the studio, the time seems to fly by, but I get so distracted in our house.  I swear, one little fuzzball on the carpet will drive me crazy until I finally have to hit pause and pick it up in the middle of a flow.  However, with the Hot-Power Fusion class, I’m totally focused and always surprised when it’s time for Savasana.  Love that!

Yesterday, I was reunited with Justine.  J, it had been way too long!

Me, Justine, and her Little One

Me, Justine, and her Little One...I need a haircut.

Once again, we met up the Whole Foods salad/hot bar, and Little One, and Justine’s best friend joined us. Um, my bowl got a little out of control. What do you think? Gliding Calm worthy? :)

Veggies galore with hummus dressing.

Veggies galore with hummus dressing.

Guess what’s back in my life?!?

My beloved oatgurt.

My beloved oatgurt.

Oh my gosh, I love this stuff!  Oatgurt tip: Before fermenting, make sure you BLEND and BLEND your oat groats until they are thick and creamy – not too watery.  This past weekend, I had to throw out an entire batch as I basically ended up with a bowl of watery sour oat groats.  Usually CD and I are fighting over every last bite, but neither of us had a problem with pitching it.  Thankfully, my latest oatgurt came out perfectly – like a big creamy round loaf of sourdough. Couldn’t wait to serve myself up a slice for breakfast:

Oatgurt a la almond butter mode.

Oatgurt a la almond butter mode.

Oatgurt with homemade raw almond butter and bananas.  Now, I know I  mentioned in my weight loss post that I try and avoid fruit, try being the key word.  I mean, life without bananas?  What’s the point, right Pol? :)

I cannot believe it’s July 1 already!  Any big plans for the 4th?  What was your favorite firecracker as a kid?  I loved Jumping Jacks and those little Pagoda houses. Anyone remember those?

specialkphd July 1, 2009 at 10:01 am

I am planning on a week only eating foods produced in 100 miles of where I am, and found some farro…I think I might try this out! Thanks!

mariposagirl July 1, 2009 at 10:08 am

I have yet to make the oatgurt, however I have the oat groats…. maybe over the long weekend I can play, plus it’s warm out. (I don’t have that heater eihter)

we are bbq-ing with my Dad, his girlfriend and her parents at their place…. should be fun!

Sparklers were and ARE my fav… hey, they SPARKLE!

so is the oatgurt “custard-y” or is is like yogurt? in your pictures it looks like bread like… and to me, that is WAY BETTER!

just wondering! :)

VeggieGirl July 1, 2009 at 10:13 am

Oh yes, that hot bar meal is DEFINITELY Gliding Calm worthy – she’d be proud!! :-D

Always love your oatgurt; and your AB recipe!

Graze With Me July 1, 2009 at 10:15 am

Oatgurt looks good, I agree with mariposagirl – it looks delish when it’s all bread-like. Still need to make some…

I’m dying for a haircut as well – love the wavy hair!

Maria July 1, 2009 at 10:26 am

I am totally that way with yoga at home too! Maybe I should check out that Hot-Power Fusion class. Haha, the oatgurt totally looks like sour dough bread! I cannot do without bananas either–then I won’t be able to eat my oats or my green monsters. Can’t have that happening now :) . I can’t wait till the weekend because I’ll be going to visit my family in Vancouver, Canada! :D

Thanks for the jicama tips, and hope you have a wonderful day!

Marissa July 1, 2009 at 10:26 am

I am heading to a vegan potluck with my boyfriend and 2 friends. Should be good, though I still have to bring extra food I can eat. Being vegan doesn’t mean healthy ;-)

I tried ABU last night. I put it on my raw pudding, and it was quite good. I still think I love almond butter straight, but it was a little less gluttonous than piling my pudding with a 1/4 cup of almond butter ;-)

Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write July 1, 2009 at 10:38 am

Life without bananas would indeed be sad. Oatgurt. What a creative she-devil you are. Sounds unique and wonderful. Your lunch looks fab. Have a great day!!!

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) July 1, 2009 at 10:43 am

I totally cracked up over your comment about doing yoga at home and being distracted by fuzzballs on the carpet – the SAME thing happens to me! I would probably have all sorts of spiritual experiences from being in the zone if I would go to yoga class, but I cannot for the life of me stop extracting hairs from the zone around my yoga mat when i’m in my bedroom. Maybe I should start doing it in the dark, haha!

Erin July 1, 2009 at 10:50 am

Heather, you look beautiful! You are a poster child for all yoga.
My oatgurt did not look like that. I think I need to redo it. It was good in things, but kind of weird by itself. Yours looks like bread!
No plans for the 4th here, but I do love fireworks!

The Fit Collegiate July 1, 2009 at 10:50 am

I could probably be okay sacrificing all fruits, EXCEPT bananas. I need one (or two!) every day. Bananas + AB + oats = perfection!

Erica July 1, 2009 at 10:52 am

I think your hair looks gorgeous! I love the beauty of the wave!! Its the way to go lady. Glad you had fun with J! WFs is the best, isn’t it? I have trouble working out at home…I need to be somewhere separate- free from distractions ;) We’re going to Hilton Head for the fourth and I cannot wait!

glidingcalm July 1, 2009 at 10:52 am

carpet fuzz balls!!!!!!

so funny you posted this cuz I am GOING TODAY to WF!! thanks for the shout out mama! I love you so!!

You look gorgeous!! so awesome you have such a great bloggy friend.

p.s. i need a hair cut WAY more, I assure you!

Shelby July 1, 2009 at 11:15 am

Thats why I’ve stopped doing yoga at home as much as I used to. I get so distracted! Maybe I’ll find a studio.

Ok, I’m going to buy oat groats right now so I can make oatgurt. I tried it with wheatberries and it was GROSS!

Michal Mymo July 1, 2009 at 11:27 am

Sounds like you had a nice visit with Justine!
I agree with you I love me some bananas I can eat them all day long and never get sick of them. Your oatgurt looks so tasty – i really want to try to make it but im worried that i wont be able to. I do have some raw oat groats in my fridge i just dont even know where to start!

Michal (lilearthmuffin)

Gillian July 1, 2009 at 11:39 am

I have to try this oatgurt! I love any kind of doughy foods and this looks right up my alley. Also probably a lot healthier than sneaking cookie and dough batter like I usually do :)

brandi July 1, 2009 at 11:39 am

i can’t believe it’s July, either. the year is half over already?

love the oatgurt pie :) I’m hoping to make some after this week/crazy weekend with family here. there will barely be enough room for all of us in the house

Lindsey July 1, 2009 at 11:39 am

<—also needs a serious haircut. I've given up blow drying and straightening for pulling it back and looking a hot mess. GA heat and thick hair? No thanks.

Could you be any cuter? I don't think so!

nicolegodiva July 1, 2009 at 11:43 am

I was wondering if you ate bananas! I have about 30 bananas on my counter and can’t imagine life without them… even though they are so high in natural fruit sugars which doesn’t always seem like the best idea. I also can’t believe that I used to hate bananas. But, what beats some ab and banana with a little bit of fermented oats?…. nothing.

Katharina July 1, 2009 at 11:50 am

I agree a life without bananas isn’t worth it! That oatgurt looks delicious AND fascinating – a slice of sourdough bread, huh? Sounds good to me!

Let’s see.. 4th of July I’m hoping to stay with my parents at a beach house. It’s funny because I live really close to the beach right now, but my mom loves the other coast’s (Florida’s west coast) beaches more.

Take care Heather!

Jenn Eats Nutritiously Now July 1, 2009 at 12:43 pm

I think your hair looks fab in that picture!

Holly July 1, 2009 at 12:53 pm

And here I was thinking, “Gosh, her hair looks gorgeous. I WANT my hair to grow that long – now.” I love your waves. :-)

I like the firecrackers that jump out and surprise you. Every doctors nightmare, but oh so fun!

polly July 1, 2009 at 2:22 pm

LOVE your hair, Heabs. LOVE your eat and your heart and just your sweet spirit that overflows into all your posts. I just sort shows up like almond butter… on everything. :D

bananas are yummolicious. :P

Justine and her little one are adorable!

I loved sparklers, since we always wrote our names in the air… but I was so chicken I would drop mine by the time I wrote P-O-L-L-… ;)

XOXO

Maggie July 1, 2009 at 2:35 pm

I can’t believe it’s July either… crazy.

Bananas are delicious, but I think apples are my favorite. And recently I loved the nectarines from the farmers’ market. I like the ones that are still hard :)

JB July 1, 2009 at 3:32 pm

that’s it, i’ve got to try oatgurt. it looks so good with the banana and almond butter. i don’t have a heat dish though. do you think if i were to ferment it at room temperature it would still turn out well? is there a certain room of the house you think would be good to place it in for a couple of days?

and yes, i have tried miso paste on a sweet potato! i got the idea from reading your blog! it was spectacular. :)

-JB

ksgoodeats July 1, 2009 at 3:47 pm

I’m so happy to hear that you and CD fight over the oatgurt! Most guys I know would be like, “Yeah…okay, K! You can keep that alllllll to yourself” ;)

I love the oatgurt loaf! Sourdough is one of my favorite breads.

My 4th plans? It’s someone’s birthday – no not America! We’ll be having a BBQ and lake day.

modietetics July 1, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Glad your yoga went well this morning. My sister has actually been doing yoga with me at home using yogadownload.com, but we actually spoil it most of the time by laughing at eachother. :-)

Such a cute pic of you + Justine + Little One. Your hot bar selections look so good. WF is just so amazing.

The oatgurt looks amazing, especially with those bananas!

Sarah July 1, 2009 at 4:27 pm

I’m the same way with at home yoga, except instead of lint, its random Cheddar Bunnies or raisins. Nummers, carpet snacks.

I love your slice of oatgurt and that heaping mound of almond butter!!!

No 4th plans yet. I hate fireworks…they just keep my girls awake!

emily July 1, 2009 at 4:42 pm

How much yogurt does the oats make? I mean like how much oats should you use for one serving?
also, if i dont have a heater fan thing like you do, will it still create a crust on the top?

livingfreeforever July 1, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Man your oatgurt gets really thick! mine is thick but not as much as yours. Maybe because I have to use gluten free rolled oats instead of grouts. It’s still yummy my way though. I am SO bummed because I went to the health food store today to get more gluten free oats and they were OUT!! OMG! What am I going to do?:) I have three cups fermenting now and then that’s IT! Hopefully they will get more in next week:(

When I saw my nutritionist the other day, she tried to get me sign up for a HOT Yoga class. I really wanted to but feared that I am too new to yoga for that. I may go and check it out though. Have you ever done the hot yoga classes?

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) July 1, 2009 at 5:12 pm

I have had a run-in with my vitamix that involved carrot ginger soup and a white wall.

Curious about how much fruit you Do allow yourself as you have bananas and strawberries pictures. Also- do you avoid other high glycemic foods too?

justine July 1, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Yum Heather! I can hardly wait for my oatgurt to be done. I almost dove in tonight. I am definitely having some in the morning!! Cant live without bananas in my oats!!

I gave in and I am eating some oats for dinner tonight :)

Love You!
Justine

Samantha July 1, 2009 at 6:14 pm

I love your smile…its infectious! We really need to ferment some more oats, the kids love ‘em too and I’ve been without a bfast plan for way too many days. Might have to try that class…I’m the same way…I’ll see something that needs picked up, or get freaked out by the dog staring at me from under the coffee table…or like the last time, my phone won’t ring for weeks but the morning I have free to do yoga, it rings incessantly.

eatlivelovedream July 1, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Your so pretty heather! Inside and out!!!!
I want to try oat gurt! I’m a we bit nervous to though. But how hard can it be?!

Scott McIntosh July 1, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Favorite FireCracker, the little box with all the red missiles in it. Remember when Mrs Akers got burnt from the one that hit her in the leg? The old 4th of July on Moss Rose Ct days…

ttfn300 July 1, 2009 at 7:27 pm

gorgeous diners at wf ;) lovely b’fast!

joelygolightly July 1, 2009 at 8:50 pm

Yum, your Whole Foods lunch looks delicious! Whenever I got to WF my bowl always ends up weighing so much because I cannot help but pile on all the good stuff they always have around! :-)

carolinebee July 1, 2009 at 9:01 pm

ugh i cannot focus doing yoga at home! I always peek out if someone walks by or drives up my driveway! You look gorgeous as ush, perfect summa hair :D

Alison July 1, 2009 at 9:07 pm

I so wish that Whole Foods was closer to me. I love their salad bar.

Is there any fruit that you really miss? I’d miss mango and pineapple. I wouldn’t miss bananas – I hate them. I’d probably miss apples too, but I eat them every day. I’m actually rather bored with them, but they’re cheap and accessible.

Gena (Choosing Raw) July 2, 2009 at 5:33 am

Your outgurt looks so crazy good. I need to find a raw, fermented recipe of some kind to play with.

Ashley July 2, 2009 at 7:34 am

Thanks for the tip RE blending the heck out of my oat groats! I’ve made outgurt twice now, and both times have been a great success. I let them ferment for 1/2 a day longer the second time round and loooveed how sour they tasted.

Whole Foods hey? I can already tell I’m going to love it there! That salad looks delish!

roseyrebecca July 2, 2009 at 9:02 am

I love Yoga! I got to this class called Body Flow at my gym. It’s a mix of Yoga, Tai Chi, and Pilates! So relaxing!

The oatgurt looks really interesting. I’ll have to try that sometime!

Gina July 2, 2009 at 9:39 am

I’m with you, I have such a hard time doing yoga at home. I can lead myself through about 40 minutes, that’s my max, and its a struggle.

Sarah (from See Sarah Eat) July 8, 2009 at 2:15 pm

You may have answered this before, but I was wondering…since you avoid most fruits, are you worried about not getting certain vitamins or minerals? Do you take supplements? Thanks ;-)

rita July 24, 2009 at 8:25 am

Hi Heather, I don’t see where you said how to make Oatgurt…

Did I miss it?

I would like to share my raw blueberry pie, I use any crust you like, cook about 1/2 cup of blueberry with cornstarch 3 to 4 tsp. and use stevia about l tsp. of powder and lemon juice and then poor this over blueberries….and let cool. If it isn’t thick enough, just add more cornstarch next time.

Rita