SourOat Bread

by HEAB on July 9, 2009

My SourOat bread really isn’t a new recipe, just a different version of oatgurt

World's healthiest bread? Dunno, but it sure tastes yummy!

My new favorite bread...Sorry Ezekiel. :)

Basically, all I did was follow the same method for making oatgurt, but I blended my soaked oat groats in really small batches, adding hardly any water.  I then spread a thin layer of the oats on a parchment lined cookie sheet, allowing them to ferment in a warm area for 48 hours.

IMG_2683Two days later, my SourOat bread was ready.

Check out that crust!

Check out that crust!

I’m kind of surprised out how well this little experiment went.  The bread is still pretty doughy underneath the crust, and next time, I would use a greased cookie sheet rather than the parchment paper as things did get a bit sticky. However, it’s really quite delicious, and I know I’ll be making more soon.  CD and I both love it.  Yummy bread PLUS beneficial bacteria? Great combo if you ask me!

Speaking of good bacteria, look what arrived on my doorstep this morning:

Coconut Milk Kefir...finally!

Coconut Milk Kefir...finally!

I am beyond excited about this new line of coconut milk kefirs from the folks over at Turtle Mountain, producers of the So Delicious products. Expect a review very soon.

Be sure to stop by The Health Nut for a coconut oil giveaway, and while you’re at click here for some amazing photos and healthy recipes over at Healthy Yum.

Off to have lunch with Justine. Bye. :)

JB July 9, 2009 at 11:35 am

i really want to make oatgurt or souroat bread, but it’s the heat/fermenting part that’s holding me back! i don’t have a particularly warm area to put it in for two days, and i’m afraid that if i did the process incorrectly my bacteria would not be the “good” kind. as of now it looks like i’ll be sticking to ezekiel! i can’t wait to read your review on the coconut milk kefir. it sounds “SO delicious!” hehe.

-JB

peaceandpeanutbutter July 9, 2009 at 11:50 am

Can’t wait to read the review for the coconut milk kefir! Looks YUM!

And I’m dying to try out that souroat bread! Glad you and CD are loving it!

PS…I had to tell you…I bought Artisana’s Organic Coconut Butter today (10 buckaroos for a small one!!)…OMG OMG OMG…WORTH EVERY DAMN PENNY! I’ve died and gone to heaven (I’m thinking that will be my post title!!! LOL)

Trilby Drew July 9, 2009 at 11:53 am

Coconut kefir?! No way! I must go hunting for this product…

mariposagirl July 9, 2009 at 11:54 am

COCONUT MILK Kefir???

I was just lamenting missing my old version….

That is so awesome!

and the BREAD? This weekend I was going to give oatgurt a go….maybe this will go better! I am really missing a doughy filling thing.

I LOVE your creativity! Thanks for sharing it!

kailey July 9, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I can’t wait to see how you like the kefir!!! The strawberry flavor sounds great :)
haha I love how you turn your oatgurt into bread! so creative!

Erin July 9, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Ohhh, this looks awesome!!! I am ridiculously excited over oatgurt bread. And Turtle Mountain sure makes some good lookin’ products!

Andrea July 9, 2009 at 12:16 pm

Okay, that bread was totally bring up images of the scene from Baby Mama where they’re at the raw restaurant and they order a yeast bowl. But, yours looks absolutely delish.

brandi July 9, 2009 at 12:16 pm

have a great lunch, you two!

coconut milk kefir? Maybe I should try the regular first since I’m sure I’ll never find this here. I can’t wait for your review.

love the oatgurt bread :)

I forgot to send that recipe AGAIN! I’ll try to remember.

Maria July 9, 2009 at 12:18 pm

That is a brilliant idea, Heather! I am making my first batch of oatgurt, and will have to start on that souroat bread soon :D

Whoa, looking forward to that coconut milk kefir review–love the regular stuff, but it is made with dairy so I have tummy issues. Have fun with dear Justine!

Whit July 9, 2009 at 12:19 pm

SourOat bread is totally something I can get behind. Thanks lady!

VeggieGirl July 9, 2009 at 12:19 pm

Ooooh, looks enticing!! Love your kitchen creations :-)

Have fun with Justine!!

Marissa July 9, 2009 at 12:23 pm

My love for the So Delicious coconut milk knows NO bounds! I am headed to the co-op today for more actually ;-) I must try the kefir…here is a question though, is it sweetened? That will stop me dead in my tracks if it is. I want to jump up and down for unsweetened stuff!! I want unsweetened coconut yogurt too! I would be fine if they added a little fruit to sweeten it for the bacteria, but they add cane juice :-(

anyway…I wonder how your “bread” would do in a dehydrator…

Forgive me…I wonder a lot about things.

Maggie July 9, 2009 at 12:33 pm

That looks so cool. And non-dairy kefir?? Must try!!

Thanks for the healthy yum shoutout!

Kristin July 9, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Ok Ok, you might have intrigued enough to try this out…

I’m wondering how bread-y it really is?

gina (fitnessista) July 9, 2009 at 1:02 pm

that bread looks seriously incredible! i love when kitchen experiments end in success and not disaster ;)
COCONUT MILK kefir?!? will you please post the ingredients when you try it?
have fun at lunch w/ justine! <3

Holly July 9, 2009 at 1:03 pm

This looks SO good!! Question…is it stinky? My roommate makes fun (lovingly) of my “rabbit food,” so I can see him reallllly having a problem if there is a stench from my food. :-) I really want to try!

Hope you have a great Thursday. :-)

joelygolightly July 9, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I’m pretty impressed with your bread-making ability- Baking any sort of bread is sort of intimidating!

Deb July 9, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Ok, so you just soak the groats, blend with tiny bits of water (why did you blend in small batches?) In Vitamix? then spread out? Could you bake it at a super low temp all day if you didn’t care about the raw-ness? Or yes, what about the dehydrator?

I just bought a Kefir Starter at the health food store- wonder if you can make your own with coconut milk? (unsweetened if you want). They have a product in Sweden called FilMjolk that I adore, but the closest thing here is Kefir.

So much fun!

specialkphd July 9, 2009 at 1:20 pm

This looks interesting, and all you do is lay it out? I should try this soon…but I am loving my blackbean “brownies” spread!

psychoj1 July 9, 2009 at 1:21 pm

That looks delicious! Mmm! Have fun with Justine!
<3 jess

Shelby July 9, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Love the creation! I have yet to get some oat groats but I’m getting there haha.

Mmm coconut milk!

Simone July 9, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Ever since I gave up dairy I have missed my beloved kefir. My old roommate is from Sweden and her relatives would ship her homemade kefir from Sweden which was divine! Can’t wait to here what you think about the coconut kefir. I bet it’s delish!!

fartygirl July 9, 2009 at 1:48 pm

I’d love to try to make the souroat bread… it looks sooo good. But the idea of leaving food out and then eating it makes me so nervous! How come we know that this is ok to do? I mean, it obviously is, because you don’t get sick from it. I’m just paranoid! :)

livingfreeforever July 9, 2009 at 1:59 pm

Okay, you know what a HUGE fan of oatgurt I am! I can’t wait to try this ‘bread’. I have never seen that coconut milk kefir!! OMG! I wonder if my store will get it soon:) Have a great day!

allijag July 9, 2009 at 2:20 pm

You’ve always got some fun little trick up your sleeve! :)

veganfritz July 9, 2009 at 2:25 pm

Oh. my. goodness. Coconut Milk Kefir. nomnomnom

justine July 9, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Heather Pie, I had fun today!! Love sitting and talking to you. I could have sat and talked the rest of the night :) . I am going to be so sad next week cause both of my besties are leaving me :( . Youll be gone for a month and half and Jenny for 3!! What the hell am I going to do??? We need to take a loooonnngggg lunch of dinner next week. Cant wait til then!

~Justine

amy (veganissexy) July 9, 2009 at 2:48 pm

Dang you find all the good stuff! I still have yet to see the big cartons of So Delicious coconut milk….and now I’m going to have to request these too! I am lucky enough to have tried the ice cream sandwiches in original and neopolitan….so DELICIOUS :)

amy (veganissexy) July 9, 2009 at 2:48 pm

P.S Do you think the kefir would work for a coffee creamer sub?

ksgoodeats July 9, 2009 at 3:46 pm

I need to get on the oatgurt train because that bread sounds incredible!!

Hope you and Justine had a great lunch date :)

Andrea@WellnessNotes July 9, 2009 at 4:28 pm

I love kefir; I’ll have to look for the Coconut Milk Kefir. And I can’t wait for your review! But I assume it’s positive given your excitement… :)

bibixs July 9, 2009 at 4:31 pm

yum!!! you’re so creative Heather! :)
i wonder, is the sour oat bread “dry” enough to use as regular bread? like in a sandwich for example?

carolinebee July 9, 2009 at 4:34 pm

Crusty bread- I’m in!! It’s the two day wait period that worries me :D I love kefir and that version looks awesome, but I’m still totally bitter that the So Delicious fairy would NOT send me any samples :) Have a great one Heath!!

Rebecca July 9, 2009 at 5:04 pm

The oatbread looks interesting!
I’ve heard a lot of people talk about kefir, but what exactly is it?

Heather (be well & take care) July 9, 2009 at 5:49 pm

Your oatgurt experiments are so fun to watch! I am sadly not a fan of oat groats or yogurt or else I would try them, but they are so creative.

Coconut milk KEFIR?! SO AWESOME!!!!!!! What are the ingredients?

Oh, and keep an eye on your mailbox (the real one, not the gmail one) soon! :)

Jillian July 9, 2009 at 6:47 pm

oh my gosh Heather..this looks like heaven on a stick! I am so jealous of your baking ventures, creativity and patience with this stuff! Have you found a place in Manitou yet? Hugs!

buffmuffy July 9, 2009 at 7:08 pm

WHOA, yum! Send them my way girl, LOL!

I can’t wait to hear how they are, I am trying to compile a bunch of information on coconuts and benefits to health.

What does your oat bread taste like, sour dough? I am very interested in trying that as well, as I have heard many good things about fermented bread instead of processed.

-muffy

Kristie July 9, 2009 at 7:17 pm

SourOat bread? I’m incredibly intrigued! You are the master with crazy food experimentation. When are you going to be selling this stuff?! I wouldn’t know how to go about attempting half of what you make but I’d sure want to try it! Haha

Ashley July 9, 2009 at 8:04 pm

How simple is the SourOat bread? I love it! Alas, I only have 5 more days here so I can’t really justify making a new batch. I’ll have to live vicariously through you. It looks super tasty Heather! And so does the coconut milk :-)

Amanda July 9, 2009 at 8:58 pm

Hi Heather! I’m a new blogger/reader, and fellow Almond Butter enthusiast :) I really enjoy your posts! I just wanted to say I am definitely going to have to try that sour oat bread because I am gluten free and always looking for new bread alternatives, that looks amazing! Do you mind if I add you to my blogroll?

roseyrebecca July 9, 2009 at 10:16 pm

I’ve never tried coconut milk!! I want to. It sounds so good!!

Samantha July 10, 2009 at 2:43 am

Oh oh oh…MUST try the sourdough. I’ve been needing to ferment again.

Hopefully the Kefir will make its way here soon, our super pricey grocery in town is carrying the So Delicious frozen dessert products, so fingers crossed!

dawn July 10, 2009 at 8:09 am

I have to try that coconut milk. No soy in there I hope. I love love love coconut anything, and coconut water and milk are actually very good for you. Wonderful. Thanks for mentioning this.

Holly (The Healthy Everythingtarian) July 10, 2009 at 8:37 am

Coconut milk Kefir HAS to be too good to be true. Don’t lie to me Ms. D and play with this gal’s heartstrings like that. I am on a mission to find that…NOW :)

i am totes intrigued by the oatgurt…hmmm…i sense an experiment of my own coming on…

CaSaundra July 11, 2009 at 5:40 am

Very creative idea with the bread! I bet it was delightful!

PassionNatural July 13, 2009 at 11:03 am

I am making ‘oatgurt’, and I tried the blended oats in the vitamix wi/ AB and banana before the buckwheat fermented and it was still delish. Can’t wait to try the fermented product.

I am also now making homemade almond butter thanks to your simple process.

Samantha July 16, 2009 at 4:27 pm

I cheated and cut a not so little square even though it needs another day to dry out, and slathered some ab and apricot polaner on it. SO FREAKING GOOD! I might use the rest of the bag just for this purpose! And you’re right, the key to it is getting it very very VERY well blended!

alikos November 27, 2009 at 10:42 am

А что Вы скажете, если я рискну предположить, что все Ваши сообщения, не более чем выдумка?

{ 1 trackback }