Coconut Milk Kefir

by HEAB on July 10, 2009

In less than 24 hours, I sampled all three flavors of the So Delicious Coconut Milk Kefir I received yesterday:

IMG_2702

What is coconut milk kefir you ask? Following is some information sent to me from the folks at Turtle Mountain, producers of the So Delicious product line:

Kefir is typically made from cow’s milk that is fermented with kefir cultures.  It is similar in taste and texture to drinkable yogurt. Originating over 2000 years ago, kefir has established a long list of health benefits, such as:

• Enhancing the immune system.
  • Stimulating digestion.
  • Controlling the spread of harmful yeast overgrowth.
  • Lowering cholesterol.
  • Protecting against cancer.

Probiotics are beneficial bacteria which flourish in the body while hindering the growth of harmful microorganisms. Several strains of these bacteria, such as Lactobacillus, have a proven ability to promote gastrointestinal functions, increase immunity and help prevent the development of cancer-causing toxins in the body.

Whereas many yogurts are comprised of two or three active live cultures, So Delicious® Coconut Milk Kefir contains 10 strains of bacteria.  Plus, kefir’s active yeast and bacteria provide more nutritive value than yogurt by aiding digestion and maintaining a clean and healthy colon.

Made from imported coconut milk, So Delicious® Kefir is also rich in medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs) which are recognized for their unique health benefits, such as:

• Protecting against heart disease, cancer and other degenerative diseases.
  • Helping those with digestive diseases.
  • Providing energy to the body instead of being stored as fat.
  • Offering antiviral/antimicrobial properties that strengthen the immune system and enhance intestinal health.

Now, y’all know I love both my good bacteria and my medium chain fatty acids, and so I could not wait to try this stuff!

Yesterday, after lunch with Justine and her Little One…

Love you J!

Love you J!

I made an afternoon snack consisting of vanilla kefir + pumpkin + cinnamon + dark chocolate (90%) flakes.

Happy Halloween. :)

Happy Halloween. :)

This tasted great. The pumpkin and bitter chocolate paired quite nicely with the sweet vanilla kefir.

Next up was last night’s dessert:

Perfect combo!

Perfect combo!

Taking a cue from The Dainty Pig, I chopped up a banana, crumbled a few raw cacao beans on top, and then added about 1/4 cup plain coconut milk kefir to my bowl.  I was always a plain yogurt girl, and this bowl brought back many happy memories. :)

Last, but not least was this morning’s smoothie:

Green good bacteria goodness.

Green good bacteria goodness.

The strawberry kefir was a bit too sweet for me on it’s own, but it worked well in my smoothie.  Other ingredients included:

• 1 cup almond milk chia seed gel (2 TBSP chia seeds soaked in 1 cup unsweetened almond milk overnight)
  • 3/4 scoop chocolate Jay Robb rice protein powder
  • 2 cups spinach
  • Handful of ice

Thick and totally yummy.  The perfect post-yoga breakfast.

Below are the ingredients listed for each flavor of coconut milk kefir:

Kefir Nutrition

I prefer the original as I am not a fan of added sugar, and I think the strawberry and vanilla flavors were a bit too sweet on their own.  Otherwise, I would highly recommend the coconut milk kefirs, not only for their beneficial bacteria content, but also for their great taste.  The addition of vitamin B12 and calcium was an added bonus as I don’t always get enough of either from my diet alone. Thanks again Turtle Mountain for producing yet another wonderful dairy and soy free product.  Be on the lookout as the coconut milk kefirs are due to hit a store near you soon.

P.S. Next up…coconut milk kefir ABU.

P.P.S. – Do not add the coconut milk kefir to your coffee.  (Amy, I tried it for ya…blech!)

More HEAB Q & A to come this weekend.  Stay tuned…

specialkphd July 10, 2009 at 9:40 am

I also HATE coconut milk in my coffee! Want something yummy…seriously, go for the purest stuff and add milk. I am wondering how much these are in stores.

Lara (Thinspired) July 10, 2009 at 9:43 am

That stuff looks great! I wish they sold cool stuff like that in the UK. I will definitely try it on my next trip home. Do you know if it is pasteurized? Just curious :)
Lovely photo of you and Miss Justine!

Maria July 10, 2009 at 10:16 am

Thanks for this fabulous review, Heather! I really love yogurt/kefir, but gave it up because of lactose issues. This sounds like a fantastic alternative and I love the extra benefits of coconut. Need that extra burst of energy :D

Sounds like you had a great time with Justine!

Mrs. Myers @ Eat Move Write July 10, 2009 at 10:24 am

I’ve seen kefir in Trader Joe’s, but I think its a different brand. I’ve heard they basically just taste like yogurt. Your afternoon snack looks like a cookie no matter how I look at it. (It’s obviously what I WANT to see.) Have a wonderful weekend!

ksgoodeats July 10, 2009 at 10:25 am

Thanks for the review!! I can’t wait for the new rendition of the ABU!

I love the sounds of the pumpkin combination! Maybe it’s just because of the 90% dark chocolate – the bitter, the better ;)

mariposagirl July 10, 2009 at 10:30 am

I love kefir and miss it terribly, so I am off to find some coconut kind! besides, who doesn’t LOVE coconut!

Tonight I am off to soak some oats for another shot at Oatgurt or Oatbread! (may just shoot for the bread instead)

coconute ABU???? yeah. HEAVEN… I know that is gonna be good!

Maggie July 10, 2009 at 10:33 am

I am definitely buying the plain. The nutritionals look great. Ahhh I can’t wait. I’ve missed kefit! I had some ice cream (real ice cream) last night for some silly reason and my tummy got pissed. I looove dairy but if this is a good substitute I’ll be happy.

dailygoods July 10, 2009 at 11:12 am

yummm that sounds really tasty! heath i wrote about the chia seed almond butter addition to my green smoothies the other day! love it more and more every day! :)

brandi July 10, 2009 at 11:20 am

holy moly, those dark chocolate shards look amazing!

psychoj1 July 10, 2009 at 11:22 am

Glad you enjoyed it! That green smoothie looks delicious!
<3 jess

Allison July 10, 2009 at 11:25 am

All of those kefir products look amazing!!!

Any combo with pumpkin and chocolate is a winner in my book :)

buffmuffy July 10, 2009 at 11:25 am

Sweet! your desserts look so to die for … YUM
-muffy

Simone July 10, 2009 at 11:28 am

Wow, it all looks so yummy (even better than I imagined last night when you told me about the pumpkin, coconut kefir, and dark chocolate goodness!). Now I REALLY can’t wait till this hits the store shelves! Oh, and I am with you, who needs all that extra added sugar. Plain all the way please…and if I want some vanilla flavor I can add some pure vanilla extract.

Meghan July 10, 2009 at 11:30 am

Hey Heather,

A trainer at the gym I worked at used to recommend these to me when I was feeling bloat-y after a big weekend or the holidays in college. She said to just drink one of these throughout the day and I would feel supremely better (her bottle size was larger than yours!). However, I just read an article this morning about the danger of liquid cleanses and I was wondering about your take…i.e. do you think that Kefir is a good method to de-tox for a day or so?

Here’s the article link in case you’re interested. I am SO glad I don’t live in LA :)

polly July 10, 2009 at 11:31 am

hi PEACH!!

You look so cute with Justine and little one. I love the coconut love, girl! I totally bought some unsweetened coconut milk in the little half gallon fridge section at the store today. So hoping it makes a perfect milk sub, ya know?

Such amazing posts, as always love. I am chicken to do the oatgurt thing, but I am all for the oatMEAL thing. :P You are my hero of oats. Love you more than bananas!!

Can’t wait for more Q and A!!! Love ya, peachy keen!

XOXO Pols

leslie July 10, 2009 at 11:37 am

love all these creative ideas. i’m keeping that pumpkin one in mind when fall comes around!

VeggieGirl July 10, 2009 at 11:47 am

90% dark chocolate = thadda girl!! :-D

Angelina July 10, 2009 at 11:49 am

Coconut milk kefir??? That sounds amazing! And your photo of that banana, chocolate, coconut milk kefir dessert is making me so hungry right now! I can’t wait to try it!

veganfritz July 10, 2009 at 11:52 am

coconut kefir…I’ll give that a %100 approval rating right there.

Mandy A July 10, 2009 at 11:55 am

I can’t see putting coconut milk in coffee… but maybe some like it?

Have you headed back to Hot Yoga for the morning classes yet? How’s that going?

I am so curious about the Oatgurt and SourOat bread… but too scared to try them! haha! I applaud you :)

Cute pic of lunch yesterday! :)

Joelle (The Pancake Girl) July 10, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Haha that vanilla kefir/pumpkin mixture is so cute- It does remind me of Halloween! Love me some pumpkin anything!

Shelby July 10, 2009 at 12:11 pm

I have to find this stuff! The original is what I would go for too. Sounds amazing.

Coconut is just perfect for summer =)

charlotte July 10, 2009 at 12:29 pm

Mmmm! I love coconut and I love Kefir! Can’t wait to try this stuff! Sadly, I requested it at my local grocery store (along with the coconut ice cream) and based on experience (it’s been a year since I asked them to get miso and greek yogurt with no luck) it may be a while before I get a taste! Darn midwest:(

amyvig July 10, 2009 at 12:42 pm

I wonder how this compares to the homemade coconut kefir we made in class. Since I know you love that homemade fermenting we basically took the coconut water out of 4 coconuts, combined it with a tbsp of prepared kefir (your coconut one would be great but make sure it’s not pasteurized), and leave out a day or two to ferment. You can also make the meat into a thick yogurty like kefir by blending it and then doing the same!

Trilby Drew July 10, 2009 at 12:44 pm

It is settled. I MUST find some of the plain coconut kefir.

Also, is it just my computer screen or did the chocolate flakes in the pumpkin look like shards of dark blue plastic? Maybe that’s just me… It was pretty, though!

Erica July 10, 2009 at 12:50 pm

All of these coconut products seem so yummy. I really want to give them a try (especially the ice cream!) Thanks for the honest reviews- I appreciate it ;)

Andrea@WellnessNotes July 10, 2009 at 12:59 pm

The kefir sounds good. I’ll definitely try the plain one; I’m not crazy about flavored kefir…

Looking forward to the Q&A! :)

Marissa July 10, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Ohh good gravy I want some!

I bought 2 Half containers of So Delicious coconut milk last night (I live on the stuff) and by the way it works AMAZINGLY well in coffee!

And now I want kefir…right now!

I will be patient though ;-)

By the way, you thought your sugar posting was harsh. I just posted on my fat loss and I am fairly certain I will lose friends because of it ;-)

<3 & Almond butter.

jacobc July 10, 2009 at 2:24 pm

That looked so good— with my big sweet tooth(speaking of happy halloween, one of my fav hollidays ;-p), i was about to put the strawberry on my superwalmart shopping list (if they have it)..
Then i noticed on the ingredients- inulin— scratch! Is it really necessary to put that stuff in a yogurt drink? grrr.. That is the same fiber stuff in fiber one bars that tears up my tummy..
I love your product reviews!
Have a great weekend!

april July 10, 2009 at 2:39 pm

That pumpkin concoction has got my name written all over it!!

Valerie LaMonica July 10, 2009 at 2:43 pm

I had a hard time reading the ingredients list – is this a vegan product? That sound awesome! I gave up on regular kefir when I began to cut back on dairy – plus all the added sugar.

Thanks for the product review! :)

homegirlcaneat July 10, 2009 at 3:22 pm

This just got me seriously excited for Halloween!!! I don’t even know why! Just you mentioning one of my favorite holidays…and PUMPKIN!

justine July 10, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Heather Pie, I love you. Thats allI have to say.

~Justine

Erin July 10, 2009 at 4:42 pm

This stuff excites me! I can’t wait to find it. I have trouble getting enough B12 too, and prefer actually consuming rather than supplementing.

Melanie July 10, 2009 at 7:32 pm

I have to admit, I was a little surprised to see a smoothie in a glass instead of a bowl;). I’m interested in this kefir thing…never had it. Is it thick-ish, more like yogurt, or is it smooth, like milk? I’ll probably be hitting the TJ’s in a week or two, so maybe I’ll pick some up!

Stephenie July 10, 2009 at 8:23 pm

Mmmm… Pumpkin is my favorite flavor! I love all your concoctions and someday I will start trying more of them… =)

Emily July 10, 2009 at 9:09 pm

I still have YET to try coconut milk! I need to get on that!

Your Halloween dish looks yummy! haha

Lynn (The Actors Diet) July 10, 2009 at 9:12 pm

My blog buddy has been trying (with success) to make her own coconut kefir…

broccolihut July 10, 2009 at 10:31 pm

Whoa, totally must try that kefir! It’ll probably be years until it makes it to Alabama though!
Love the Halloween kefir;)

Chloe (Naturally Frugal) July 10, 2009 at 11:35 pm

Man, I NEED to get on the coconut train. It’s one of my favorite flavors but I hardly ever use it. Guess I’ll be heading to the store this weekend for some big nuts! ;)

Sarah (LovIN My Tummy) July 11, 2009 at 2:34 am

Hmm, kefir in the coffee? No thanks. I can see the curdling from here.

Can’t wait for the Q and A!!!

Hanna M. July 11, 2009 at 6:51 am

Ha ha, if I look at your dessert and tilt my head I can see a smiling pumpkin Jack!

marysizzle July 11, 2009 at 12:01 pm

I always enjoy reading your blogs!
I have a little bit of almond butter left so I’m gonna make some ABU— for the first time ever!!!

Lynn (The Actors Diet) July 11, 2009 at 12:19 pm

oopsy – i meant to say she’s been making it WITHOUT success…big difference!

see her attempt here:

and the result:

D July 11, 2009 at 2:36 pm

I am curious how this tasted plain, straight up from the bottle?

Lauren July 12, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Turtle Mountain just keeps on whipping up fantastic new products – I must try this coconut milk Kefir! Your concoctions all look awesome.

Jules July 12, 2009 at 1:55 pm

Kefir! I used to love that stuff. Mom would always buy some at the health food store and I’d drink it as soon as she brought it home. I didn’t know there was a vegan kind…I’ll definitely try it!

JENNA July 13, 2009 at 6:44 am

these look good! I’ve never seen the coconut milk products in my grocery store!! so irritating!

ttfn300 July 13, 2009 at 7:37 am

i had no idea they had done this! very kewl, but i still would prefer more protein in my milk/kefir :)

Diana (Soap & Chocolate) July 13, 2009 at 9:18 am

MMM so jealous! I love cow milk kefir, but want to lay off cow dairy as much as possible, but goat kefir is MAD expensive! Must get hands on the coconut kefir! It couldn’t be anything but delicious. :)

Parker July 14, 2009 at 3:19 am

Why can’t I find the coconut milk kefir on their product page? HELP. I want to buy some of this and then attempt making my own….

{ 4 trackbacks }